Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 17:40   #61
BANNED

Re: Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Thanks for the updated review and I understand your frustration with the ergo design. Do you think replacing the INT650 stock seat with the optional touring seat (which is stock for CGT650) will work for the seating issue? or we need a whole new design for having a comfortable ride for the pillon rider?

I have booked a CGT650 and right now, my mind was looking at only upgrading the headlights to good LED options. Looks like a seat upgrade also needs to be considered.
You would be better off using the bike a few months and then look at swapping the seat. I would not do it on day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
A question to the current owners here on the Interceptor's rear-set foot-pegs when compared to the Bullet (not Continental GT), what is your personal experience on this on a ride greater than a hour (either in the city or on the highway). I read about the issues with the foot-peg when resting the foot down or when trying to engage the side stand, Anything else to be worried about?
My kid and wife have ridden pillion for over 3 weeks now, They don't complain as they sit upfront. For some one who tries to sit cross, it would roast their slippers.

I took my mom for a ride who sat cross way and she was really uncomfortable.

Regards
Raghu

Last edited by manson : 24th January 2019 at 01:36. Reason: back to back posts merged. Typos.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Happy News: Got a call from the RE dealer in Adelaide to inform that the dealer's launch for the 650 twins was done in Melbourne today. The Adelaide dealership will be delivering the first lot in the first week of February and they will also have bikes for test ride.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2019 at 10:42. Reason: 60 twins -> 650 twins
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I cannot believe there is a single person in the RE company whos legs dont get caught in the pegs. So either they are 6'2" or they ride in shorts.
Skinny legs Himalayan with a poor side stand design that even today remains unaltered, this is the DNA of RE, and the footpegs are a living example of this. The brilliant engine is a sign of their change. God knows, this is a battle and in the absence of a competitor with a good x-country bike, this Interceptor will rule.

Footpegs and Pillion Seat- anyone who did not give this feedback should be sacked. If it wasnt accepted, that is another story.
Woah!! I see that the footpeg positioning is really really annoying! All the media reviews kept saying - "it is out of place but nothing that one can't get used to". I guess they were wrong then. In the 20kms test ride I took, there was no stop and go traffic and footpeg hardly came in my way. A few times, I stopped and felt it weird, I told myself what all the moto-journalists said and accepted as it is. Looks like its a strong case to think about before accepting the delivery. Looking forward to possible after-market modifications or if RE is listening, a proper design-fix from the factory.

And about the chassis, although a great deal of handling is attributed to a good chassis design, its most primitive requirement is holding the weight both while parked and on the move. How wise is it to use the GT535 chassis for all the added weight and the big engine? Can it really support the dynamics of the new engine given the added size? If it is indeed the old chassis, what did Harris Performance actually do? I've read so many times about HP getting credits for the chassis. Is it just that they designed the 535 chassis?

And, you mentioned earlier that you've installed the smaller fly-screen. I'm assuming that you have a proper windshield on your Fatboy and how do you think INT650 handles winds with a small fly-screen at the triple digit speeds? Right now I own a 350 and I am an 80kmph rider. I have not the slightest imagination of what a wind blast is. But I've come across various discussions on internet about it, without any conclusion.

And a general question, in the CW article somebody mentioned earlier, the author says that kick-start is possible. But I don't remember seeing kicker in any of the twins. Any thoughts on this? Here is the article for reference:
https://www.cycleworld.com/royal-enf...st-tech#page-3
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Woah!! I see that the footpeg positioning is really really annoying! All the media reviews kept saying - "it is out of place but nothing that one can't get used to". I guess they were wrong then. In the 20kms test ride I took, there was no stop and go traffic and footpeg hardly came in my way. A few times, I stopped and felt it weird, I told myself what all the moto-journalists said and accepted as it is. Looks like its a strong case to think about before accepting the delivery. Looking forward to possible after-market modifications or if RE is listening, a proper design-fix from the factory.
I've been riding a CBR 250R for a few years and didn't even notice the footpegs over 6 test rides till I read about it somewhere - I guess it's about where you're coming from on this. My wife rides the Wego, and she did notice when I asked her to test ride. On the CBR (and the Interceptor) etc you lift your feet and immediately ride off, on the Wego she does use her feet on the ground for a couple of hops before it picks up momentum - could it be to do with that habit? Not sure, but found the pegs perfectly comfortable, personally.

Last edited by manson : 24th January 2019 at 01:43. Reason: Trimmed quote and edited typos.
zenx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 19:47   #65
BHPian

For some reason, I feel like reiterating the following- amazing engine, brilliant brakes, chassis- superb and balanced, no skids, no wavering, easy running upto the redline around the 7000rpm mark in all gears from 1-4, didnt push in 5&6. Fuel average in the city remains rock steady 23/24KMPL and the highways between 27-28kmpl with average speeds between 105-115.
A reader asked about the wind blast, and the little fairing does an amazing job for me and my friend (5'6"), so I would say that upto taht tall a rider, the fairing is perfect. Any taller, you will need to ask someone else, or buy a bigger screen. I dont think this should be a cause for worry. I addition we always ride with proper gear and that plays a big role in holding the body close and comfortable, as opposed to wearing a flapping shirt or a pair of baggy pants.

The grouse/s are simple.

1. The footpegs on the interceptor are not located as the GT, they are on some kind of an extension piece and thats located awfully. They interfere with your pants and shoes EVERYTIME that you put your foot down, and hence in traffic jams or congestions, they are an all time irritant. Please, there is no getting used to it.
I asked how come not one journalist spoke about the brake disc mechanism, which contributes so much towards the improved braking? So if they say that the foot pegs are a 'little' annoying please take that with a pinch of salt or grease. have you seen the photo of the 5'10" kid on the bike with his feet not knowing if they should be ahead or behind the pegs?

2. Pillion foot pegs- less said the better, as the pillions are straight out uncomfortable with the pegs position and the seat length.

So what am I doing about it.

1. Search for the elusive high rise handlebar form the RE original accessories list and buy that.
2. Find a 'bakra' to modify his seat - and then follow him/her and modify mine, making it into more of a cruiser type bike.

This Interceptor is nothing but a GT with a regular handlebar. they should have just sold teh GT with this 'handlebar + footpeg+ gear shifter' relocation kit and ended this all 'nautanki' of Interceptor and all that jazz.

North America and the Upper European Continent where this bike will be more of a 5 month summer type ride and where commutes are restricted to around the corners or counties- this will sell. In India without addressing ergonomics- I dont know what to predict.

Meanwhile we went to the flag off of the RE Coastal ride, where I made a bunch of RE employees sit on the bike and i asked them- "Dont tell me you fellows didnt notice this? Dont tell me that the Rides division didnt get to sample the bike?!"

The answers will come some other day.

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.25-1.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.25.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26-1.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26-3.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26-4.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26-5.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26-6.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.26.jpeg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20190127-19.14.27.jpeg
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:40   #66
BHPian

Hey Sir. Just wanted to confirm from you about the helmet they are giving out with the 650 twins. My showroom guys told me that a complimentary helmet will be given to me but did not mention which one it was. I ask this so that by the time I find time to visit either Chandigarh or Delhi which are the closest places where I would be able to try out a decent quality helmet, I would have to make do with the freebie.
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:21   #67
BHPian

Hello 650 owners,

Many aftermarket seat makers have started rolling out seat modifications for your ride. Please visit your local bike market and seat pioneers.

Here's a couple of examples for INT 650.
Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-fb_img_1548140917931.jpg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20190203_131737.png

Source: Khajanchi seats, Karol bagh. (social media)

Enjoy your ride.
--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 01:34   #68
BANNED

Kudos to RE, I remember reading the article about the Himalayan's chassis cracking at the rake after riding through a pothole, in comparison the 650's are leagues ahead in build quality, in spite of the forks going for a toss, the chassis seems to be in one piece.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 06:19   #69
BHPian

Took delivery of Silver Spectre last week.

My other bike is a CL500.

Positives:

1. It hides it's mass very well even in crawling traffic. In fact the mass helps in gaining confidence at any speed.
2. Very usable power band. Love the low rpm grunt. High end power will be tested post 1000kms.
3. Very good brakes.
4. Loves corners unlike my CL500.

Negatives:
1. Notchy gear shift. I encountered couple of false neutrals as well. It robs your confidence in the bike. Will get it checked at first service.
2. Heats up quickly in peak City traffic.
3. Not getting used to the riding position. Never had this issue on my CL500 and my cousins FZ25 which are the other bikes I ride. The seats are narrow too.
4. Pillion seat is not a nice place to be. Foot pegs set high, hot silencers, poor seat comfort.
5. Gear ratios, I found the first gear too tall. At times when you start off you are not sure whether you are really in first or second. Gear indicator a miss as well.

I may be hit for saying this but I must confess that I feel the CL500 with all it's shortfalls still has much more character.

Must add that I had a lousy experience with the dealership.
They failed to fit the accessories at the time of delivery citing availability issues
Once you take delivery you get a second class treatment from the showroom, as if they are certain you have come back with a problem.
And I had a problem, they messed up with the details in the Registration papers. I had to run behind them to get it corrected.

Just hoping that things get better.

Last edited by ampere : 12th February 2019 at 09:19. Reason: Typo;
sureshkishore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 10:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Took delivery of Silver Spectre last week.

Negatives:
5. Gear ratios, I found the first gear too tall. At times when you start off you are not sure whether you are really in first or second. Gear indicator a miss as well.
I got my Ravishing Red Interceptor 650 last week. Infact I find the tall first gear convenient, especially in crawling traffic. There is no jerk and navigating through bumper to bumper traffic is much easier.
Indicruz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:30   #71
BANNED

Have any one tried adding Aux lights to INT650 if so can any one suggest fitments. I have Rigid D2 sitting at home and wondering where to fit them.

Last edited by manson : 21st February 2019 at 18:37. Reason: Typo.
Old 21st February 2019, 18:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_gg View Post
Have any one tried adding Aux lights to INT650 if so can any one suggest fitments. I have Rigid D2 sitting at home and wondering where to fit them...\
I don't own an Interceptor yet but I believe you could relocate the indicators to one of the slots on the flyscreen mount and use the existing indicator slot for aux lamps.
Let us know if it seems feasible!
Old 21st February 2019, 21:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_gg View Post
Have any one tried adding Aux lights to INT650 if so can any one suggest fitments. I have Rigid D2 sitting at home and wondering where to fit them.
Most sensible option would be to get the OEM accessory large crash guard and use the auxiliary lamps n them. Most of the current Royal Enfield bikes use such a placement, and it is also quite effective without obstructing the vision of oncoming traffic.

Few examples from google -

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-maxresdefault.jpg

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-weblights11.jpg

Last edited by aravind.anand : 21st February 2019 at 21:35.
Old 21st February 2019, 22:41   #74
BHPian

Good to see so many new owners commenting on this thread. Latest average in the city is 236/9.5L which is a shade over 24. The engine still continue to it's flawless run
The helmet- I think I gave it away at one of my sites to one of my workers who had learnt to ride. I would never ever wear it.
Old 21st February 2019, 23:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Good to see so many new owners commenting on this thread. Latest average in the city is 236/9.5L which is a shade over 24. The engine still continue to it's flawless run
The helmet- I think I gave it away at one of my sites to one of my workers who had learnt to ride. I would never ever wear it.
Hi, you have been vocal about the nagging foot peg issue on the Interceptor. Would you consider retrofitting the CGT650's pegs and levers on the Interceptor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks