Kawasaki H2 SX 2 0.18%
Norton Dominator and Commando 1 0.09%
Honda Goldwing 8 0.73%
Voters: 1098. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 20:46   #76
BHPian

re: Team-BHP 2-Wheeled Ride of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Royal Enfield 650

When you're voting for BOTY (yeah, that does sound weird), I would probably look at the overall appeal and the impact it will have on the market with the existing infrastructure in place.

Ather has introduced a product that is going to revolutionize the market, albeit the infrastructure, or the lack of it. This is a product, when introduced in scale with charging points everywhere will disrupt the electric scooter market, but it is still too niche and will have it's day.

Next was the Jawa(s) and if only launched a year later or earlier, it would easily have been the BOTY (there...I said it again). The retro look and the nostalgia associated with owning a jawa is mouthwatering while the engine and performance is sweet.

However, the winner is hands down the RE twins, rather the interceptor. While I personally feel the fit and finish is still a lot to be desired as it is an aspirational product for a lot of people, the pricing will probably keep people interested. Good handling, no vibes (what's happening...no vibes on a RE bike?) make this the most desirable of the lot.
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 21:06   #77
BHPian

Voted for Yamaha R15!

Ather deserves a special mention and would love to see the company and its portfolio grow. TVS Ntorq is an ambitious product in a highly competitive segment and is well-received as well. RE twins are winning this contest handsdown, rightfully so, with such power, smoothness and a killer pricing.

Still I respect Yamaha for playing big-bike game in the 150 CC segment. They took out a bike with such a strong character and replaced it with the one which in even more stronger. Not sure why they are not focussing on R3 with such intensity.
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 21:49   #78
BHPian

2018 was an exciting year for two-wheeler aficionados. There were launches for virtually every budget and category. Still then choosing RE twins as BOTY was a cakewalk. A D390 performance package in a twin cylinder avatar combined with fantastic handling and killer pricing. RE has definitely impacted the industry in a tremendous manner.
Kuldeep31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 22:07   #79
BHPian

Here again, it was a problem of plenty for me. Some were in the heart and some in the vision.

I voted for Royal Enfield Interceptor and Continental GT for the duo have been built endogenously for the global market by an Indian manufacturer. The real value-for-money bikes. As per the reviews done by lot many riders, these are so very smooth.

Though my vote goes for RE's new launches, I would still go for Ather (for using green energy), Tiger and BMW GS (for their capabilities).
byomjeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 07:10   #80
BHPian

I am such a cars guy that i have not heard of a single motor cycle on the list except the Jawa for all the media promotions and hype created by Mahindra. This tells how important promotions are for any product.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 08:40   #81
BHPian

My choice is the RE twins as an Indian company is upping the bar. It is also affordable performance and tremendous VFM. I wish the car manufacturers too could learn from this and understand that VFM performance cars/SUVs built in India has huge potential.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 08:50   #82
BHPian

I feel the RE duo are the most important bikes to be launched this year. Granted, they are not cutting edge, but the amount of progress they represent on RE's side and also the price point at which they are being sold deserves to be recognized.
LipDog43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 09:12   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote without a doubt goes to Ather. it just deserves it. They have shown us that future can be interesting. I'd even go further and call it the Tesla of scooters. Everything about the vehicle is wonderful, from the concept to the design to the final delivered product. Also we must not forget the fact that they have setup the charging grid, which addresses a big issue of range anxiety. All this by a startup is a great achievement.

But not everything is rosy. Price seems to be on the higher side, and the maintenance and service is unknown.
Production issues stopped deliveries after the first 10 units were delivered on 9/11 (maybe the date had something to do ) and till now only 30 vehicles have been delivered.
It is still someway till people in other cities can own it.

Apart from Ather, all others are improvements made from experience of so many years and after so many failures. Not undermining that, but it shows how difficult it is to get a good product into the market.

RE 650 twins will get the second place IMO. It's the best RE so far and if it gets CrAzY dRiVeR's vote, it must be something
Ntorq and Jawa would get a joint 3rd place in this year's race in my books.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th December 2018 at 09:14.
hemanth.anand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 09:58   #84
BHPian

I voted for the RE 650 twins.
Although the new Java bikes were irresistible. I voted for the RE twins as I see it as a turnaround point for the entire company. From one which makes run-of-the-mill average bikes with poor build quality to one which makes ones which can hold it's own against competition in the segment.
Their pricing strategy clearly outlines their efforts to change the perception of the brand as "average" in the minds of the consumers. And I respect them for that.
Just looking at the amount of positive reviews that bike has gotten is unbelievable. Normally you'd expect two things about every RE product - "poor build quality" and "vibrations". They've managed to keep both in check.
Although if it wasn't for the 650 Twins, I'd have definitely gone for the Jawas. I have been a fan of them for a long time and them coming back is just plain awesome.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:21   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My vote without a doubt goes to Ather. it just deserves it. They have shown us that future can be interesting. I'd even go further and call it the Tesla of scooters. Everything about the vehicle is wonderful, from the concept to the design to the final delivered product. Also we must not forget the fact that they have setup the charging grid, which addresses a big issue of range anxiety. All this by a startup is a great achievement.

But not everything is rosy. Price seems to be on the higher side, and the maintenance and service is unknown.
Production issues stopped deliveries after the first 10 units were delivered on 9/11 (maybe the date had something to do ) and till now only 30 vehicles have been delivered.
It is still someway till people in other cities can own it.

Apart from Ather, all others are improvements made from experience of so many years and after so many failures. Not undermining that, but it shows how difficult it is to get a good product into the market.

RE 650 twins will get the second place IMO. It's the best RE so far and if it gets CrAzY dRiVeR's vote, it must be something
Ntorq and Jawa would get a joint 3rd place in this year's race in my books.
Ok, so you put down exactly what I wanted to say and in the same order of preference. So just quoting you.

Voted for Ather purely because of the revolutionary concept and the attempt to redefine the whole electric scooter market. The perception for electric scooters are pretty and in my view Ather has been able to come up with a product that can completely change that perception. It is a good sign that they have got into production mode and started deliveries. 2019 will definitely make or break them depending on how well they can overcome the production challenges. They need to ramp quickly to meet the interest and demand and also expand to few other cities.

Have read only good things about the RE 650 twins, looks like they will be the winners of the first Two Wheeler of the year poll on Team-Bhp.

Overall, a pretty long list of new launches in the 2-Wheeler segment. Pretty interesting. Thanks CD for initiating this and blackwasp for putting it together.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:10   #86
BHPian

Voted for Ather.

Keeping all the delivery issues and speculations aside, It is a major step forward in our times which really needs to be appreciated. Just hope they don't loose the energy and enthusiasm now. There is not even a single Babu working in various govt organizations who has a clue on Ather and that is the biggest setback for them. One good look into what Ather can do, I am sure government will come forward as this is baby step that will surely succeed in going electric for future.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

My vote for the RE 650 twins purely for bringing affordable twin cylinder experience to us.
Yet to see the bike in flesh but from all the reviews i have heard the bike is well put together, vibration free and priced so well. Even RE 500cc siblings might take a hit because of this.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:18   #88
BHPian

Will someone please vote for the Hero Xtreme? Come on, it made it to jury's round on Autocar and "people" are apparently saying good things about it...or are they
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:19   #89
BHPian

I have voted for RE 650 Interceptor and Continental GT. However, this is only because Ather has gone silent on the production and deliveries. Had Ather picked up pace and delivered as per schedule, I would have voted not just on team-bhp but even with my wallet. I am still waiting for Ather to come to Pune (seems very, very distant as yet).

Ather has potential to pull rug from under the feet of mainstream scooter manufacturers but seems to be faltering at the finish line. If 2019 is kinder to Ather, they may still be able to become Tesla of India even if they miss out on the Team-bhp award this year.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:44   #90
BHPian

Voted for the TVS Ntorq simply because it had changed the game for scooters with features never seen before being added to an affordable class of 2 wheelers and for being a good scooter overall.
I would definitely consider it as my 1st option if I were in the market to buy a scooter.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks