Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:35   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem

I was going ahead with my decision to buy the 310GS before 31st in Bangalore. I was under the impression that BMW would have sorted all the teething issues with these 310 twins. But now this piece of news!

Is that the engine oil seeping into the alternator coil casing?
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:16   #17
BHPian

I got the bike back on 21st Dec. The actual issue was with the voltage regulator and not with the alternator as initially diagnosed by Tuskar Service. They mentioned the part was changed and recalibrated , in any case, bike seems to be working after the fix.

I received extremely pleasant treatment at Tuskar BMW when i went to collect the bike. The Service executive came down to collect the required signatures, I was on a call with office around then and I could not talk to the person. They collected the required signatures, there was no payment involved as bike was under warranty. Then I found the bike kept outside the showroom, on the road. It was more like take the bike and leave, such a premium experience from a premium bike brand. As I wanted to know the details, I called the service number and got the details I mentioned earlier.

One more bike went down with alternator issue in the second half of December. With this specific bike, a bolt in the alternator assembly went loose and caused havoc internally. He got the bike fixed outside by rewiring the alternator, primarily because of the minimum 2 week delay with the arrival of the part if one go through the official channels.

Another bike has broken down today in Shimoga. It was driven for over 300 kms yesterday. Today morning it showed ABS and Battery alarm on the console and the bike stopped in 2 kms.

Meanwhile, on the other news. Tuskar BMW had created an official WhatsApp group for 310 owners. The group was very active with group rides and workshop sessions etc. When the yearend price cut was announced, lot of guys in the group got upset and started asking questions in the group. An email was sent to BMW Motorrad on behalf of Bangalore Owners, they redirected the sender to Tuskar. Long story short, the group backfired on Tuskar. All the Tuskar BMW employees used to be super active in the group till the price cut and issues related discussions started. They all became very silent after this. As a new year gift to the 310 owners all the Tusker BMW employees left the group yesterday with an announcement that the group was for 2018 owners and they would be creating new group for 2019 owners. Such a lame explanation and professionalism. they must be thanking their stars for finding a reason for a mass exit from the group.

We paid a premium on the bike.
Bike has reliability issues.
Service is not able to diagnose the problem.
Parts are not easily available, it takes anywhere between 2-3 weeks for getting parts. (In my specific case, bike was with Tuskar between 1 and 21 Dec, leaving couple of days in between).

Overall experience, with the bike and the service, is leaving a very bad taste. It is also helping in changing the perception towards the brand as well. May be, spending premium on the 310GS was a mistake.
RSimonS is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This pic is doing the rounds in biking groups -
A nut was loose inside the alternator assembly, owner got the rewiring done as there was a 2+ week waiting time for part arrival.

So much for premium quality
RSimonS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Parts are not easily available, it takes anywhere between 2-3 weeks for getting parts. (In my specific case, bike was with Tuskar between 1 and 21 Dec, leaving couple of days in between)
Perhaps - it's best to explore which all RR310 parts are directly compatible with the GS310? I'm guessing most common service items should be the same / useable between these two.

Should come in handy post warranty period / during an emegency.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Perhaps - it's best to explore which all RR310 parts are directly compatible with the GS310? I'm guessing most common service items should be the same / useable between these two.

Should come in handy post warranty period / during an emegency.
Yes, agree.

There is minimum 3 weeks to get a part from BMW. They say 310 is a commuter bike and expect people to make alternate arrangements if there is an issue.

Bikes are getting stalled while on a ride / on the highway, it is outright scary and could become catastrophic.

Service center folks are incompetent. I got 3 different explanations for the problem I faced. They seem to be keen on treating the symptoms than finding the actual problem. Getting a service appointment is another story altogether. There is no update on the bike from service after RSA takes custody of bike.
RSimonS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 15:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
There is minimum 3 weeks to get a part from BMW. They say 310 is a commuter bike and expect people to make alternate arrangements if there is an issue.
Seriously!? I really am dumbfounded by this.

While it’s understandable that any motorcycle can develop faults, it’s this disdainful high-and-mighty attitude from a “premium” brand that is despicably pathetic. There seems to be absolutely no distinction in the after sales support from a “premium” brand and the non “premium” ones!
Old 4th January 2019, 18:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
There seems to be absolutely no distinction in the after sales support from a “premium” brand and the non “premium” ones!
Usually premium motorcycles have long wait times for spares that are not commonly stocked. This is mainly because most of these bikes are either CBU or CKD, and even if spares are available - they might be stocked at a central warehouse rather than large stock with dealers.

BMW as a brand used to sell ultra premium motorcycles and should be well used to customers accepting this sort of turnaround cycles for any spares requirements.

What's not acceptable IMO is that the 310s are made in India. So when BMW is charging a huge margin for their premium brand experience alone - they should atleast ensure spares are available and response times are much faster.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Why so much delay in sourcing parts which are made locally? May be BMW wants to give a "premium" ownership experience since buying parts off the shelf like Hero and Bajaj is too mainstream. With pricing first and now the support, it looks as though BMW half-heartedly launched these bikes here. Probably they don't find margins thick enough on these to justify all the efforts when more earnings can be had from selling big bikes in far lower number.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 19:24   #24
Team-BHP Support

Gaadiwaadi has a detailed article on this issue and the attitude of Tusker BMW, Bangalore -

https://gaadiwaadi.com/frustrated-bm...g-for-answers/

BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem-bmwg310gs887x640.jpg

BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem-tuskerrearbrakepadcostindia1021x581.jpg

BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem-bmwg310gsownerscomplaints2405x640.jpg

Quote:
Ajay Bizoara of Bangalore, a G310GS owner, include poorly made handlebar as he said, “I have measured 3 mm difference between both side angle“.
Quote:
Ankur Vashishtha of Bangalore, blamed “too much vibrations above 80 (kmph) and it even caused him numbness without having gloves on while riding”.
Quote:
Vikrant wrote: “Quality issues have been a major concern with all the bikers, we all have to be prepared at any given point that the bike might give way without any symptoms & might just stop working. We did not expect a product of such a premium brand would face such horrible quality issues so soon & they made it even worse by giving away huge discounts by which the pre buyers resale value will get completely screwed.”

Last edited by Aditya : 5th January 2019 at 10:37. Reason: Masking out phone number
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 14:51   #25
BHPian

Another one down today. Brand new bike, just 90 KMs on the odo
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip G310GS Down - Video.zip (1.29 MB, 64 views)
RSimonS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 16:02   #26
BANNED

The only reason this issue is highlighted is because the owner's paid big moolah and are ideologically a cut above the mango-people-tribe (well at least some of them I pray).

Things going kaput is nothing new, but the way a customer is treated after the fact makes all the difference and from what I know and have experienced over the years, BMW has done nothing different than what most non-indigenous motorcycle manufacturers have done in such cases, i.e. underhand the customer.

And before anyone goes about spreading speculations blaming TVS for its build quality, do know that TVS makes the motorcycles with the best part quality in the market, any serious enthusiast who knows a thing or two about working on motorcycles will corroborate on the same.

From past experiences only a major blow-back from existing customers would trigger an event ranging up to recall-proportions.

So I hope the owners don't take things for granted and act accordingly so that the issue gets resolved without much inconveniences.

And in the meanwhile I also hope this serves as a lesson to the traditionally unambiguous riders among us that a big wallet and an even bigger pile of insecurities may get you places at times but not so much on a motorcycle.

Peace,
A.P.
Old 6th January 2019, 16:24   #27
BHPian

I don’t think I posted the feedback because I paid x amount for the bike, I do not think I am entitled to get a preferential or privileged treatment because I bought a BMW. I posted because I had multiple hurdles with in first 500 kms on a brand new bike, I felt it is my responsibility to make people aware about a potential problem, I believe that is what this forum always stood for.

There multiple concerns raised by various owners

1. Quality and Reliability issues
2. Turnaround time for getting a service appointment
3. Turnaround time for part availability - 2 to 3 weeks for a commuter bike
4. Service team’s lack of expertise, general attitude
5. Cost of parts (6K for rear break pads)
6. Cost of Service
7. Over 20% discount introduced by BMW on a brand new release - many owners felt cheated, resale value impacted
8. Attitude of Dealership Management- Episode around the whatsapp group quoted in 310 release thread

List goes on.

BMW has started reaching out to individual owners. They are yet to acknowledge that there is a general problem with bike. Hope the general attitude changes
RSimonS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:57   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, on the other news. Tuskar BMW had created an official WhatsApp group for 310 owners. The group was very active with group rides and workshop sessions etc. When the yearend price cut was announced, lot of guys in the group got upset and started asking questions in the group. An email was sent to BMW Motorrad on behalf of Bangalore Owners, they redirected the sender to Tuskar. Long story short, the group backfired on Tuskar. All the Tuskar BMW employees used to be super active in the group till the price cut and issues related discussions started. They all became very silent after this. As a new year gift to the 310 owners all the Tusker BMW employees left the group yesterday with an announcement that the group was for 2018 owners and they would be creating new group for 2019 owners. Such a lame explanation and professionalism. they must be thanking their stars for finding a reason for a mass exit from the group.
This is so ridiculous that if I shared this experience with somebody else, they would think that I was ribbing them. BMW Motorrad India doesnt seem content with just digging a big pit for themselves (parts failures so early and inability to diagnose them), they want to ensure that the pit is really deep and they cant climb out (treating customers with child like naivety!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The only reason this issue is highlighted is because the owner's paid big moolah and are ideologically a cut above the mango-people-tribe (well at least some of them I pray).
That is factually incorrect, buddy. The beauty of this forum is that everyone from the owners of 100 cc workhorses (you), discontinued motorcycles (me) and new motorcycles (on this thread) can share issues that they are facing with their respective motorcycles. The price paid has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
And before anyone goes about spreading speculations blaming TVS for its build quality, do know that TVS makes the motorcycles with the best part quality in the market, any serious enthusiast who knows a thing or two about working on motorcycles will corroborate on the same.

From past experiences only a major blow-back from existing customers would trigger an event ranging up to recall-proportions.
TVS has engineered and built the bike to BMWs specifications and subject to BMW approvals, I dont think anyone will point the finger of blame to TVS here. Given that it is a shared platform, it will be interesting to see if some of these issues are replicated in the TVS 310.

Quote:
BMW has started reaching out to individual owners. They are yet to acknowledge that there is a general problem with bike. Hope the general attitude changes
The sooner it changes, the better it is for the long term sustainability for BMW Motorrad India. Its amazing that these giants dont know the basics of doing business.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 16:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't really agree to this statement. There was another discussion in the main 310GS thread about owners protesting to current discounts - which falls in a similar scenario as you mention above.

But aam aadmi bikes or not - so many brand new bikes failing within 500kms? Thats an issue to be highlighted irrespective or it being a TVS or a BMW! Just think about the sales numbers of this bike and the number of issues being reported - its like almost half the bikes delivered have broken down on the roads!

Quote:
And in the meanwhile I also hope this serves as a lesson to the traditionally unambiguous riders among us that a big wallet and an even bigger pile of insecurities may get you places at times but not so much on a motorcycle.
Not the thread for that discussion. We have multiple other threads for that, don't we?

A brand new bike has to be run without having a break down. Period.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th January 2019 at 16:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 18:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason this issue is highlighted is because the owner's paid big moolah and are ideologically a cut above the mango-people-tribe (well at least some of them I pray)....
Hehe, while many have responded to you in opposition and I agree with them, your statement gives me a feeling that according to you if a mango-man has issues with his most recent purchase he can complain, crib about it and try to get it resolved but the issue should or will not be highlighted?

No matter how much you pay for the product and the brand - any customer deserves a niggle free product and if he doesn't get it, he has the right to complain and the mango-junta has the right to highlight it. As otherwise, the issue will either will pushed under the carpet or some folks may purchase the product and suffer the same before the issue is resolved. So highlighting helps any potential buyer in being more cautious. Remember, Triumph's blatant lies about power figures?

I agree with you on one thing - how the management takes it forward from now will decide if they are worth the money in future. And this in-fact is an opportunity for BMW to justify their premium prices - if they can manage the issue well.

But it seems like many of the 'premium' product companies have hired senior folks from the so called mango-product firms and hence their response is the typical 'it is your fault'. Also, the mango-junta has a short term memory and the marketing teams at these companies are good at their work it seems.

Last edited by sunilch : 7th January 2019 at 18:25.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks