Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 14:50   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: November 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

At this rate RE 650 twins would have sale multifold of all other superbikes put together.

Versys 650 and Vulcan S 650 both seem to have zero sales to dealers for last many months?

V Storm zero till date? No shipments at all?

Suzuki Intruder 155 going down down down, a 250cc engine would have justified the looks and sold much better.

Other Super Bike manufacturers may get prompted to either significantly drop pricing for 650-750 segment or abandon it. HD has dropped pricing via discounts. RE 650 will impact segments upto 900cc.

Though bikes like Vulcan S, Versys 650, Street Rod are significantly better than the RE twins in many ways the market is likely to look for cc per lakh and they then are overpriced.

Dominar disappearing I guess refresh with major updates will be here soon.
Suzuki Burgman is still to stabilize. A lot of Thunderbirds 500, Classic 500 sold in Nov? Seems to be stocking or held up updated ABS versions.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th December 2018 at 15:28. Reason: Typo
Old 26th December 2018, 15:09   #17
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Why is Dominar down to sub 200 units?
IMO, the only perfect reason I see for their decline is numerous spy shots of soon to be launched 2019 Dominar which should be discouraging prosperous buyers in putting their money in the current edition. Also, recently when I visited the Bajaj Service Station I heard the SA advising other Platina / Pulsar owners(who are looking for an upgrade) to wait for the 2019 edition.
Old 26th December 2018, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Not sure if the data for Kawasaki is accurate, we've seen a number of Versys 650 and Vulcan S riders added to our riding groups over the past few months.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 15:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
At this rate RE 650 twins would have sale multifold of all other superbikes put together.
Let's wait for at least 3-6 months, else it would be speculations or forward looking statements.

Quote:
Versys 650 and Vulcan S 650 both seem to have zero sales to dealers for last many months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Not sure if the data for Kawasaki is accurate, we've seen a number of Versys 650 and Vulcan S riders added to our riding groups over the past few months.
All of these are dealer dispatches, not dealer sales. Plus Kawasaki India manages production differently, they manufacture different bike models in batches, not all bikes get manufactured every month. Read earlier post here (September 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis).

Quote:
V Storm zero till date? No shipments at all?
These are mostly for Vstrom 1000. Vstrom 650XT has 32 & 15 dispatches in Oct'18 & Nov'18 respectively.

Last edited by sukiwa : 26th December 2018 at 15:30.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 15:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

A little OT, what will be the business model of guys running Triumph Dealerships? Doing 80-100 all over India from 15 Dealerships. High monthly rentals in all those swanky places and with the number of guys working? How do they earn and how long can they remain in the business?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 16:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
How do they earn and how long can they remain in the business?
Sales hardly earn returns - even in the case of vehicles that sell properly. Service is where all of them try to make up for their investments.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

So Mahindra ‘sold’ 8 Jawas in Nov, and then their entire production for 10 months (until Sep) in the next 20 days?

Who do they think will fall for such blatant lies? And their Chairman puts it on the record on twitter too. What sort of credibility do they expect to retain after such obvious BS?
Old 26th December 2018, 22:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the competent NTorq break into top 20, outselling the Grazia almost 3:1.

RE650s ought to sell way more than others for the sweet pricing plus ofcourse RE's reach is unmatched by other 600cc+ offering OEMs.

Not sure why the FZ25 has such dismal numbers. Is it lack of ABS? Test rode it last week and loved it for its commuter creds. Adequately powerful, super smooth engine, efficient and a big tank. Although will wait until March/April for ABS version before picking it up

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th December 2018 at 22:03.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 22:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Had to double check to R15 numbers ! Such a plunge for a machine in good demand? Any labour issues at Yamaha factory?
Old 26th December 2018, 22:48   #25
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So Mahindra ‘sold’ 8 Jawas in Nov, and then their entire production for 10 months (until Sep) in the next 20 days?

Who do they think will fall for such blatant lies? And their Chairman puts it on the record on twitter too. What sort of credibility do they expect to retain after such obvious BS?
As mentioned previously, these are merely dealer despatch numbers (that is, units sent to dealers from the factory) and not actual customer deliveries. These numbers also do not account for sales/bookings, which is what Anand Mahindra was referring to when he tweeted on the "sold out till Sept 2019 claim".

I could be wrong, but these 8 despatches are probably the 'pre-production' models we are seeing in the Pune and other city dealerships. While the sold-out claim is tall, I doubt Mr. Mahindra would stake the reputation of his business on a bunch of lies, especially when such a claim would obviously throw-off potential customers with the long wait list.
Old 27th December 2018, 08:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Other Super Bike manufacturers may get prompted to either significantly drop pricing for 650-750 segment or abandon it. HD has dropped pricing via discounts. RE 650 will impact segments upto 900cc.

Though bikes like Vulcan S, Versys 650, Street Rod are significantly better than the RE twins in many ways the market is likely to look for cc per lakh and they then are overpriced.
Though your argument on cc per lakh is spot on and other members have also voiced similar thoughts, i feel that the impact will be minimal. RE has priced the twins beautifully but there are other factors that drive super bike sales. If i am spending 3+ lakhs on a bike, i will expect a lot in terms of quality, experience, brand value (bragging rights?) and so on. HD 750 is vulnerable because of the teething issues it has faced in the past. On the other hand, Versys 650 is a very purposefully built machine and no RE can match it's versatility. Even the Dominar and Duke 390 score high on cc per lakh parameter but we have seen their sales.Yes, i have to agree that premium OEM's will now have to mould their strategies when launching sub 900cc machines in their cruiser formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sales hardly earn returns - even in the case of vehicles that sell properly. Service is where all of them try to make up for their investments.
Absolutely, service is where they make some money. On top of this, certain OEMs provide monthly bridge support to dealers till they (OEM or Dealer) attain a certain level. Very much part of the usual OEM-Dealer relationship.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2018 at 09:16. Reason: Back to back posts.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:42   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Very curious about the Dominar. On the face of it, it seems like a good package. A 400cc at that price, seems a good looking bike and would make a decent tourer as well. Should be selling better. Is the legendary Bajaj refinement (or lack of it rather) and reliability still that bad that it makes people stay away from this one?
Old 27th December 2018, 18:26   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Very curious about the Dominar. On the face of it, it seems like a good package. A 400cc at that price, seems a good looking bike and would make a decent tourer as well. Should be selling better. Is the legendary Bajaj refinement (or lack of it rather) and reliability still that bad that it makes people stay away from this one?
Dominar was the hot topic in last month's sales discussion threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4501237 (October 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis)

The drastic dip seen this month could be reduced dispatch in preperation for the upcoming facelift.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 20:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

What is wrong with the 300 cc market? RC/Duke 390 selling a very ordinary 230 odd copies and even worse, Apache RR310 selling just 130 odd copies.

390s I can justify that the competition is better than ever and that RC 390 is due for an update very soon. What's wrong with Apache 310? It was supposed to have a huge demand and I was under the impression that buyers had to fight the waiting period. Looks like it is the opposite. :( Too bad for the motorcycle manufacturers that it would be a discouragement to venture into the entry level performance segment.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What is wrong with the 300 cc market?
I guess as bike enthusiasts we frequent forums like these and forget that it's not really the majority market here. The majority market is really for the commuter segment. Like this colleague of mine who went for a Splendor because after taking a ride on my bike, he thought my P180 had 'too much power'!

Bad news for us waiting for a practical, naked 300-400cc. I too thought this segment was picking up and it was only a matter of time. Looks like the bike manufacturers know what they're doing. But bad for us.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed