Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 15:30   #16
BHPian

Re: My pre-owned KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I have a lightly used one for the first gen Duke which I am not using. If you are ok to pay the shipping, I can send it to you.
Thank you. Will be happy to do that. Unable to find a way to contact you however - Can you send me a PM please?

@jusgetgoing- thank you for links. Much appreciated.

Do let us know of how the bike shapes up in the coming weeks. The latest issue I've faced is a oil pressure warning that comes up after crossing 70kmph sometimes though the oil and filter are hardly 2 weeks old and the oil level appears to be ok. Will check the sensor and oil pump in a few days.
Old 9th January 2019, 18:22   #17
BANNED

Please keep us posted about the maintenance expenses of the bike. And do keep an eye on the FE with the full-to-full method. The FE is usually the first sign of a problem. It tells more than just the fuel cost per kilometer.

I think you can go with Pirelli Angel CT (bias - ~Rs. 2600) for the front and Ceat Zoom X1 (H-rated radial - ~Rs. 4000) for the rear. The Ceat is a perfect fit with the adequate speed rating. The Pirelli has a sharp profile for quick direction changes and designed to deal with the everyday abuse. But it's not suitable if you tend to always keep the throttle pinned. 140-150km/h, it should be able to handle. Together, they offer good value IMO.
Old 10th January 2019, 14:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
The latest issue I've faced is a oil pressure warning that comes up after crossing 70kmph sometimes though the oil and filter are hardly 2 weeks old and the oil level appears to be ok. Will check the sensor and oil pump in a few days.
Please do keep us posted on what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Please keep us posted about the maintenance expenses of the bike.
I think you can go with Pirelli Angel CT (bias - ~Rs. 2600) for the front and Ceat Zoom X1 (H-rated radial - ~Rs. 4000) for the rear. The Ceat is a perfect fit with the adequate speed rating. The Pirelli has a sharp profile for quick direction changes and designed to deal with the everyday abuse. But it's not suitable if you tend to always keep the throttle pinned. 140-150km/h, it should be able to handle. Together, they offer good value IMO.
The recent full service with the local mechanic cost me Rs 2500/- Thank you for the tire suggestions. I don't keep the throttle pinned.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 22:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do let us know of how the bike shapes up in the coming weeks. The latest issue I've faced is a oil pressure warning that comes up after crossing 70kmph sometimes though the oil and filter are hardly 2 weeks old and the oil level appears to be ok. Will check the sensor and oil pump in a few days.

theqca, do check your oil pressure sensor. A faulty oil pressure sensor can lead to the Low Oil Pressure warning on the console, whereas the oil level would be perfectly fine. Start off with checking with the engine oil level, quantity and then the oil pressure switch. Keep your observations posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 16:57   #20
BHPian

Congratulations justgetgoing on getting that beauty. I am also using 2016 Duke and extremely happy with my purchase, its been 2.8 years and around 60k Kms on it so far. Intending to do a lac on it soon and I don't really see a need to upgrade. Since this one is more than enough for what we need for our roads and keep up with the big boys as well on the highway. One big advantage is the light weight which can be felt while doing off roads and riding in city traffic. Also, as you mentioned, the 180-200Kms mark for a fuel break is actually good in a way and gives you that small 5-10 minutes break which is very much required.

Just one question :

1. Why did you put a shock absorber sock/sleeve, isn't the rear suspension covered already? The chrome rod isn't exposed in the 2016 versions.
Aashish_390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post
Congratulations justgetgoing on getting that beauty.

1. Why did you put a shock absorber sock/sleeve, isn't the rear suspension covered already? The chrome rod isn't exposed in the 2016 versions.
Thank you Aashish. I did read your fantastic travelogue (Bangalore to Bhutan & Nepal | Solo | 9,000 km of Adventure on a KTM Duke).

You are right. 2 reasons for picking it up :-

1. I found it difficult to clean in between the coils after a couple of rain rides.
2. I saw it on Simon's bike and liked the way it protected the rear shock absorber from all the slush. The fabric is water and dirt resistant. More details here.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The latest issue I've faced is a oil pressure warning that comes up after crossing 70kmph sometimes though the oil and filter are hardly 2 weeks old and the oil level appears to be ok. Will check the sensor and oil pump in a few days.
@theqca, any update on the above issue?
Old 5th March 2019, 15:03   #23
BHPian

Yessir, it was the sensor which was the culprit.

Ktm suggested a complete check however common sense told me that if there was an issue with oil pressure the engine would have seized up keeping in mind the operating temperature as well as the high speed runs / rapid acceleration done during the past month.

I changed the sensor and its all ok so far. Had there been an issue with the oil pressure then the new sensor too should have shown me a similar message.
theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 23:25   #24
BHPian

The Duke gets some minor updates :-

Knee Grip 3M Protector. Link here.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-tankgrip.jpg
These help to grip the bike better with my knees. You get similar ones on Amazon.in but the price was more than double.

G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn Throttle. Link here.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-g2ergo.jpg
Strongly recommended. I did a day ride to Kolli Hills and there was no fatigue on the wrist. Makes throttle control so much easier and less fatiguing with the decreased throttle rotation. The fuel economy may come down. I don't know if it works on the new '17 Duke 390. You have to buy the LHS grip and this goes over the G2 Throttle. Makes the throttle a tad beefy I feel.
More details on the g2ergo site.

Kriega Motorcycle Fork Seal Covers. Link here.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-kriega.jpg
Protects the fork seals from dirt intrusion which can cause the fork seals to leak.

Auto Hub Waterproof Bike Charger with Cigarette Lighter. Link here.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-charger.jpg
I bought this since my tire pump needs a cigarette lighter socket. Nothing exceptional about it. I have not tested this in the rain yet.

Apollo Alpha H1 rear tire.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-tire.jpg
The 2nd set of Metz rear tire (on the left) had started showing its steel string in the centre and it was time to change. I opted for Apollo Alpha H1. There were some good reviews out there. It cost 6500/- at SLNP Pitstop in Kalyan Nagar. Please call them to check for stock before going and they charge 2% extra on Credit Cards. I am yet to do a long ride on it.

Adjustable clutch lever from the current '17 Duke 390. Cost around 340/- at SC. Clutching has become easier as I don't have to stretch my fingers out.

Most of the above were recommendations from Shubhabrata Marmar (Powerdrift, ex Overdrive) that I found online. The ones from Amazon.com were carried down by my friendly neighbor.
jusgetgoing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 14:01   #25
BHPian

Seat update :-

I fit the seat from the new Duke 200. The current Duke 200 comes with an improved rider seat. The cushion is a way much better and I don't slide forward. If I remember correctly, it cost around 800/- at the SVC.

Tailbag :-

I got a ViaTerra Raptor v2 Tailbag and it is worth every paisa. Good for a 2-3 day ride. It does not require any extra stay/rack and sits like a leech once put on. You can't seat a pillion and have to swing your leg high (than the usual) to get on the bike. Cost was 4199/- It also doubles up as a good office bag when not in use. Link here

Both were tested over the weekend on a 750 odd km ride to Pondicherry.
jusgetgoing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Major service due and it has been completed. Clutch plates, chain sprocket, engine oil were changed and a cracked side stand fixed.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-img_20190929_191802.jpg

The Service Centre did not have the usual chain and instead I got the Rolon gold chain.
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-img_20190929_192311.jpg
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-img_20190929_192936.jpg

Took it out for a ride last Sunday and all is good mechanically. Inspite of changing the seat (it is softer), I keep slipping down towards the tank, when I wearing riding pants. Same does not happen with denim pants.
jusgetgoing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 14:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
Seat update :-

I fit the seat from the new Duke 200. The current Duke 200 comes with an improved rider seat. The cushion is a way much better and I don't slide forward. If I remember correctly, it cost around 800/- at the SVC.
Was this a direct fit? Any modification required? Would love to try em out if so, the stock set hardly has any cushion and the fabric surface is super slippery!
Old 31st October 2019, 18:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Was this a direct fit? Any modification required?
Yes, a direct fit with no modification required.
jusgetgoing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:52   #29
BHPian

KTM 390 NGK Iridium Spark Plug

I fit this last week and took the bike out for a 200 odd km ride over the weekend.

I feel the bike has become smoother and the throttle response has improved. It should last 20K kms.

When the mech removed the spark plug, I saw how deep the plug sits in the engine. It took only 5 minutes to change it but had to wait for the engine cool down.

Part Number: LKAR8AI-9. Purchased online here

My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-ngk1.jpeg
My pre-owned KTM Duke 390-ngk2.jpeg
jusgetgoing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
The Service Centre did not have the usual chain and instead I got the Rolon gold chain.
Can you share your feedback on Rolon Gold chain? Thanks.

Most Viewed