Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 16:36   #151
BHPian

Re: Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Turns out its not as small as you see from the images.
Agreed. Really enjoyed watching Adam Waheed thrash the CB300R on dirt tracks!

While I acknowledge and appreciate that some find the CB300R ugly, I will still contest the assertion that it is a “small” bike by presenting the following data from Overdrive’s website:

LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT (mm):

Honda CB300R: 2028 x 888x 1053

BMW G310R: 2005 x 849 x 1227

KTM Duke 390: 2002 x 873 x 1225

Kawasaki Ninja 300: 2015 x 715 x 1110

TVS Apache 310: 2001 x 786 x 1135

Honda CBR 250R: 2030 x 720 x 1127

So, the CB300R is longer (horizontally) than all bikes above except the CBR250R, it is the widest and also the shortest (vertically). Take what you may from it, but winning two (Almost! I include the CBR250R only because of its reputation of being pillion friendly) out of three categories under dimensions qualifies the CB300R as “not a small” bike in my eyes! What amazed me the most was the fact the Honda is longer and wider than the Ninja 300, which definitely looks substantially “bigger” in real life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got a call from Venetian Honda in Mumbai rather than Honda Wing World as expected after registering on Honda’s website. The person over the phone informed me that while I can still book the CB300R at Wing World, the sales procedure and the consequent after sales service will be handled by them at Venetian. I called up Wing World later who confirmed this, but they said that they may still be authorized to service the CB300R. Fingers crossed as this is going to be an inconvenience, because the Wing World showroom is just a small 10-minute detour from my commute to work and Venetian is at least an hour and half away from home along roads that have ongoing metro construction.

Although, Venetian did assure me that I wouldn’t be waiting in line behind millions of Activas to get my 300R serviced. They also promised to get back to me when I asked them about spare/service costs, insurance and handling charges. Display/Test ride bikes are expected by the 2nd week of March. Looking forward to this one.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 19:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
I finally got a call from Venetian Honda in Mumbai rather than Honda Wing World as expected after registering on Honda’s website.

Although, Venetian did assure me that I wouldn’t be waiting in line behind millions of Activas to get my 300R serviced. They also promised to get back to me when I asked them about spare/service costs, insurance and handling charges.
Venetian is the authorized dealer for the CB300R although a bit odd because the CB300R sells at dealerships where the 650F's 13 dealerships exist for the rest of us. And like the selected outlets so it should have been the Sakinaka WW for Mumbai. Did you ask if Venetian gets a separate service bay for 300R?

Quote:
Agreed. Really enjoyed watching Adam Waheed thrash the CB300R on dirt tracks!
All the while I watched that I was only wondering what potential a 140 odd kg dirt biased bike with a bit more suspension travel could do. This afterall is based on the same bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle6.jpg  

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle5.jpg  

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle.jpg  

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle3.jpg  

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle2.jpg  

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-hondacb125xconceptadventuremotorcycle8.jpg  

Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 17:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Did you ask if Venetian gets a separate service bay for 300R?

All the while I watched that I was only wondering what potential a 140 odd kg dirt biased bike with a bit more suspension travel could do. This afterall is based on the same bike!
Hi Nithesh, they will be having a separate bay for the CB300R, but in all probability, this separate bay will end up being used for the Activas that keep coming in. IIRC, Honda was supposed to have separate bays for the CBR250R too, but inevitably it was being used to service other Honda bikes and scooters. Hence, I am sceptical. I really hope Wing World in Mumbai can at least service the CB300R, else I'm looking at a whole day wasted at the service centre!

The concept off road bike looks good, but will a conservative manufacturer like Honda bring it into production and consequently to India? I don't think so, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 13:52   #154
Team-BHP Support

CB300R in MC Commute. More realistic to our conditions, as compared to other international reviews -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 22:03   #155
BHPian

Quote:
While I acknowledge and appreciate that some find the CB300R ugly, I will still contest the assertion that it is a “small” bike by presenting the following data from Overdrive’s website:

So, the CB300R is longer (horizontally) than all bikes above except the CBR250R, it is the widest and also the shortest (vertically). Take what you may from it, but winning two (Almost! I include the CBR250R only because of its reputation of being pillion friendly) out of three categories under dimensions qualifies the CB300R as “not a small” bike in my eyes! What amazed me the most was the fact the Honda is longer and wider than the Ninja 300, which definitely looks substantially “bigger” in real life.
I got a chance to check out the CB300R at the recent Canada Motorcycle Show. It certainly looks small. Now I am not going into the millimeters here but it does look tiny. Kill me for this, but I would say it looked like a Navi on steroids.

I own a Duke 390 and have sat on Ninja 300 and ridden CBR250R. If I have to compare the actual experience keeping aside the millimeters, I would definitely say that it is way smaller than Ninja 300 and CBR250R.

It does look great though.

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-img_20190216_123644.jpg

I am 5.11 and 80kgs . And no there is no camera angle into play here. It is small.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 20th February 2019 at 22:04.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:00   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
It is small.
Sadly, yes indeed it is! Seems like Honda has also taken that huge rear mudguard into account while measuring the length

Another thing that jumps at me is that tiny looking pillion seat. While I did not expect a comfortable pillion seat, I did expect it would be at least usable in the city & small rides.

I'm 5'8" 72kg, and with my backpack on, it seems I will be unable to accommodate an adult on the back! What are your views on pillion comfort on the CB? How would you compare it to your Duke?

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 21st February 2019 at 09:01. Reason: Typo
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:14   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

RE: Small size

You know, if I want a bike that completely replaces an automatic scooter in the city - THIS is it. Its small, nimble, light, agile, and it's a Honda.

I am happy that finally we have motorcycles in India that are niche - each of them do one thing and one thing really, really, well.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:07   #158
BHPian

I'm specifically looking for feedback on pillion comfort. Can someone share their experience?
Old 21st February 2019, 20:35   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that jumps at me is that tiny looking pillion seat. While I did not expect a comfortable pillion seat, I did expect it would be at least usable in the city & small rides.

I'm 5'8" 72kg, and with my backpack on, it seems I will be unable to accommodate an adult on the back! What are your views on pillion comfort on the CB? How would you compare it to your Duke?
Yes, seat is tiny. I highly doubt if pillion would be comfortable for longer distances. With a backpack, definitely difficult. Duke seems to be better in terms of usable pillion space. Again that will depend on individual to individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
RE: Small size

You know, if I want a bike that completely replaces an automatic scooter in the city - THIS is it. Its small, nimble, light, agile, and it's a Honda.

I am happy that finally we have motorcycles in India that are niche - each of them do one thing and one thing really, really, well.
Exactly my thoughts. This seems to be THE bike to thrash around in the city. Buy one for city commutes and buy the new CBR650R for highways. That is another dope. By far the best looking CBR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
I'm specifically looking for feedback on pillion comfort. Can someone share their experience?
There were no test rides available. So I can't really comment on the pillion comfort factor. "Looks" wise the pillion seat is strictly average.

Also forgot to add another point about the console. It is again tiny. Looks like a miniature phone (sadly forgot to take photo). Again this comes from a person who graduated from a Bullet (which didn't show anything) to Duke (console which shows everything) .
Dodge_Viper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 21:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Cycleworld has an article on the CB300R vs Duke 390 vs Husky 401.

https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb3...ike-comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleworld
Despite its slim size, the Honda offers the most accommodating(of the trio) and natural-feeling ergonomics that was appreciated by all three of our testers, ranging from 6 feet tall (author) to our pint-size tester, Evan Allen, at 5-foot-5.

“The CB300Rs office is killer,” Cantle says. “Another outstanding update over the CB300F. Extra legroom means the taller fellas can stretch their legs, but a thin waist and well-sculpted seat mean folks with shorter inseams can touch both feet with no trouble.”

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 21st February 2019 at 21:44.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:39   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking of monthly sales of locally manufactured bikes in this class, obviously imported bikes will sell drastically low.
Do you think KTM's sole target is averaging 600 units a month and that too on a facelifted model with all the bells and whistles at such a low price?
Between 2011-13 HMSI averaged 2.5-3k units a month of the 250R. 6 years later, this segment doesn't even see an avg 1k units a month for any 1 motorcycle because there's a lot of brands taking each others shares.
This erodes confidence for any manufacturer who wants to jump in on the segment and make these bikes here locally.
Obviously KTM isn't content selling 600 units a month but the beauty of their operations is that they make a sleuth of products based off similar componentry and cycle parts and they also get to export bikes manufactured here. 2 lakhs OTR is definitely still considered a big amount in India considering our nation's usage of 2 wheelers is largely dependent on economic factors. However, with the size of our population and dying interest to learn how to drive and ride in 1st world nations, manufacturers need to be a little more proactive here. KTM may only be averaging 600 units a month but that is of a manic, noisy, relatively unreliable, and largely perceived as a death trap motorcycle. If anyone can bring volumes to this segment, it would be the Japanese with their quality control, refinement, smoother and cooler running engines, lower seat heights and added versatility, all of which suits our market better don't you think? I mean afterall Royal Enfield has proven that plenty of Indians are willing to pay more than 1.5lacs for a motorcycle, I think it's time the Japanese showed our market what we could really get for 2 lacs; modern more versatile, refined and better quality products that ought to kick RE back into the niche it's meant to be in.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd February 2019 at 13:44.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:19   #162
BHPian

Quote:
I got a chance to check out the CB300R at the recent Canada Motorcycle Show. I

I am 5.11 and 80kgs . And no there is no camera angle into play here. It is small.
At first glance I thought you were sitting on a Navi. It is way too small for my liking.
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:51   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

.... the Honda is longer and wider than the Ninja 300, which definitely looks substantially “bigger” in real life.
The % by which CB300R exceeds other bikes in length and width is small, but it is smaller in height by 15%, or 15 cms/6 inches. That's a little too much, especially in height.

Quote:
...but I would say it looked like a Navi on steroids.
This is what I felt seeing the review posted in this blog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Looking at the review videos, it looks like Navi when riding on road! It might be because the low placed round headlamp. Bike looks tiny under the reviewer. See from 51s onwards.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Ud__5o3L2S4
I am sure the buyers would enjoy this machine, but as a spender of upwards of 3L, I wouldn't want to be confused with a scooter that was given away free with CBR250 at the time of BSIV sale off!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

I am too disappointed at CBR300. In fact, I am in market for a look out for 200 -400 cc bikes. My first option was and is Honda and one and only Honda since I own a Unicorn 150 with bullet proof Engine that has spoiled me to such an extent that I had concluded only Honda makes bikes. All so called bikes manufactured by others have to be renamed . This was purely my earlier opinion. (No offense to anyone please. This was my personal opinion and I know I am wrong)

But, all the current Honda bikes in the range of 200-300 cc are out of my list because of below reasons;

1. Honda CBR 250 - Very sporty ride position and I cannot spoil my back with aches because of this ride position.
2. Honda CBR 300 - Was hoping to have similar dimensions of 250 But, the below points have been very disappointing
A. just 35 cc more than 250 engine and it is named as 300 and considered under SUPER BIKE with almost a lakh more than CB250R. This, for me, is a joke
B. Very small in size. Looks like elephant riding a bicycle in circus.
C. Rear part is literally not there. No Fender, Pillion seat is existent only on paper to register the vehicle in RTO as "Seating Capacity: 1+1"
D. The number plate holder looks very awkward. The seat ends almost at the mid of the vehicle and post that only Number plate holder

I was hoping that Honda will bring CBR400. It is really good looking and has pillion seat long enough for 2 people with good riding posture. But it is another disappointment that there is no plans for Honda to bring in 2019.

All the above made me to go for other bike manufacturers. Now, I am considering to go with Dominar. I am actually afraid of Bajaj Quality. Hence, need advice, assurance and probably counselling
1. Whether Dominar is a good and quality bike?
2. Can I keep it for long term (Say 10 years) with fill it and shut it kind of maintenance?
3. Can I modify the handle such that it will also have same riding posture as Unicorn? What are the impact (Clutch cable, accelerator cable etc)

Please advise.

Last edited by gkveda : 22nd February 2019 at 15:14.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 10:53   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I am too disappointed at CBR300. ..

But, all the current Honda bikes in the range of 200-300 cc are out of my list because of below reasons;

1. Honda CBR 250 - Very sporty ride position and I cannot spoil my back with aches because of this ride position.
2. Honda CBR 300 - Was hoping to have similar dimensions of 250 But, the below points have been very disappointing
A. just 35 cc more than 250 engine and it is named as 300 and considered under SUPER BIKE with almost a lakh more than CB250R. This, for me, is a joke
B. Very small in size. Looks like elephant riding a bicycle in circus.
C. Rear part is literally not there. No Fender, Pillion seat is existent only on paper to register the vehicle in RTO as "Seating Capacity: 1+1"
D. The number plate holder looks very awkward. The seat ends almost at the mid of the vehicle and post that only Number plate holder

I was hoping that Honda will bring CBR400. It is really good looking and has pillion seat long enough for 2 people with good riding posture. But it is another disappointment that there is no plans for Honda to bring in 2019.

All the above made me to go for other bike manufacturers. Now, I am considering to go with Dominar. I am actually afraid of Bajaj Quality. Hence, need advice, assurance and probably counselling
1. Whether Dominar is a good and quality bike?
2. Can I keep it for long term (Say 10 years) with fill it and shut it kind of maintenance?
3. Can I modify the handle such that it will also have same riding posture as Unicorn? What are the impact (Clutch cable, accelerator cable etc)

Please advise.
Well, the 300's kerb weight (143) is lot less than 250R (167kg) and with 5bhp more, the 300 has significantly higher power to weight ratio. From your existing five speed 150cc-15bhp to six speed 31hp is literally double the fun while providing you Honda's peace of mind. Not to mention the latest tech & aesthetic bells and whistles in CB300

#2C- Not really a Unicorn city commuter replacement this CB300R. It's a fun machine mostly for rider alone. If someone's looking for city commuter with more space for pillion, then 150cc segment is reasonable as such.

#2D And Honda will be providing shorter sized number plate/fender accessory that will reduce the length.

On Dominar, well it's a power-tourer not a city commuter strictly speaking and heavy enough to not make the city rides fun like 300R. Also, Bajaj will be easy on pocket & time when it comes to servicing & spares but as we know that reliability wise only a Jap can keep up with a Jap.

Eventually test rides on both will make it pretty clear that which one's for you.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed