Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 17:52   #181
BHPian

Re: Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L

Apologies for the late reply guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
If you sell that BBQ grill to a kabadiwala you pretty much get a little more discount on the bike's price.
The saree guard is an eyesore for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
How did you like the suspension in your test ride?
Can’t say anything definitively, Shreyas. There were neither potholes nor corners encountered during the test ride to get a proper feel of the suspension. Although the suspension components sound good, 41mm USD front forks from Showa & a 5 step adjustable rear monoshock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Was this at Venetian Honda in Malad?
Yes, the dealer is Venetian Honda, but the location is Kandivali, near the MTNL telephone exchange on SV Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
From the picture you've shared seems the inner is in contact with the outer.
I didn’t pay much attention to the positioning of the clutch cable, but IIRC it was enclosed in a rubber hosing, will try and get a better picture when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
Official list of accessories
This is the accessory list given to me over WhatsApp. The prices on my list are substantially lower!

Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L-img20190323wa0002.jpg
Shumi_21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 18:00   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
This is the accessory list given to me over WhatsApp. The prices on my list are substantially lower!

Attachment 1863663
Yes. The list you got varies a lot from the one I got. I feel it's may be due to the brand of the accessories. Can you try to get more information on this?
Old 5th April 2019, 23:24   #183
Senior - BHPian

Wondering why this topic isn't in the SBK and Imports section considering it is an imported bike. Anyway:

Old 18th April 2019, 21:23   #184
BHPian

This news makes the CB300R more appealing. Honda's big bikes were lost among the flood of Activas in their showrooms and the sales personnel were poorly trained to sell such big bikes. Good move IMHO!

http://https://www.motoroids.com/new...ikes-in-india/
targaryen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 10:20   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
HMSI is sitting ducks is what it is. Most people looking to buy a bike in the segment would go for a Honda over others if the pricing was decent and had wider service support, this move just shows how content Honda are with their activa sales and a clear lack of commitment.

If it was a fringe manufacturer what you told would have made total sense, but Honda with all its resources sure can be a trailblazer if it decides to.
Allow me to weigh in as a Honda insider, since I am not allowed to comment on any page related to my current employer.

HMSI sitting duck? Dude - HMSI can be No. 1 in India when they want! But they're not in the volume game - I bet they're more profitable than the bottom clutch of 2 wheeler brands all put together.

I agree that their Service Support is terrible but I'd rate it at par for the course for the scooter market (I was a long suffering Honda scooter owner).

As for the 'lack of commitment' part Honda is seriously committed to the No. 1 2 wheeler market in the world that will remain so for a long time in the foreseeable future. Only their commitment is not the same flavour as your definition of commitment.

They're committed to 1) their profitability 2) the profitability of their partners (like the dealers). I seriously contemplated chucking my job as an auto honcho and becoming a Honda 2 wheeler dealer! 3) Doing as few bike models as possible but doing it very, very, very well!

In the meanwhile, Honda is crunching through massive volumes of data about the Indian market, the customer, the societal changes, the trends, womens footwear (yes, believe me) and plotting their next big win.

Lack of commitment? I have worked for half a dozen auto majors - the kind of insane commitment and data crunching that happens behind every new Honda - no one, no one (umm, perhaps Toyota, but I worked for them not in India) matches that! The Japanese measure a thousand times but they cut the cloth only once. . .

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was Head Product and Planning for Honda Cars in India many summers ago. I had nothing to do with HMSI and currently do not own a HMSI product though the CB300R has 3 hard-earned Ones burning a hole in my pocket!
Ferruccio is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 11:25   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Allow me to weigh in as a Honda insider, since I am not allowed to comment on any page related to my current employer.
  1. If they are not in the volume game, explain to me why they are backing Activa heavily, especially after Grazia has failed to pick up numbers. A close friend owns a Honda dealership and he is under pressure to increase volumes month on month. Again I never spoke about their profitably, I am sure they are hugely profitable. I would take your comments that they can be No.1 whenever they want to with a pinch of salt, no company having the means to be No.1 would want to languish behind competitors out of choice. The truth is that out of the Activa and its iterations , not many of their products are gaining traction. Their geared vehicles aren't doing too well when compared to their competitors.
  2. The service support is not on par with other brands, i would rate it atleast in Bangalore as one of the worst. I own a Honda Dio and also a Suzuki access, the differences are night and day, however i belive it is not due to Honda but due to the sheer volume of vehicles they cater to and the dealerships inability to scale up their service facilities.
  3. Requesting you to see the comment in context of this thread, I am only speaking about the product and the segment in question not HMSI's product as a whole.
Again, you are speaking from the eyes of the manufacturer about what steps they are taking towards the market, I as a customer can't see them.

What I see are the products in flesh, not some idea of a product the manufacturer has for the country.

I reiterate that HMSI is not committed to bringing their competitive products to our country. They have a beautiful lineup in their international markets I fail to understand what stops them from making a proper effort to bring them to our shores.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th June 2019 at 17:59. Reason: LIST added. QUOTE trimmed.
Thebat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 18:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reiterate that HMSI is not committed to bringing their competitive products to our country. They have a beautiful lineup in their international markets I fail to understand what stops them from making a proper effort to bring them to our shores.
I can't agree more to this point. I was one among the lot who was waiting to buy motorcycle in 400cc range for more than 2 years.

Since I owned honda unicorn, I was not satisfied with any other bike manufacturers due to quality honda maintains.

I was dreaming of cb400f coming to India for 2 years. Finally when they launched cb300 I was disappointed to see 36cc added to 250 cc and being launched as superbike and decided to go with Dominar, the only available option in the mid range superbike category with two seats(I don't somehow agree RE as superbike. Neither it has super pickup nor super speed. My personal opinion. )

Even now, I can say, in indian market, there is a dearth need of 400 to 650 cc bikes with good looks, riding comfort, reliability, two real seats along with decent pricing. Be it honda or yamaha, I am sure they will sell like hot cakes

Unfortunately none of the manufacturers are thinking in this direction

Last edited by gkveda : 21st April 2019 at 18:25.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:04   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its all fine and dandy asking for "beautiful lineup" from international markets but are you ready to pay international pricing and then some(taxes) to buy one?

We all saw the overwhelming enthusiasm when Yamaha showcased the R25 with Rossi riding one, the enthusiasm furthered more when it was launched in Indonesia, ridden by some of our auto journalists on track. The hype was so high people asked Yamaha to bring the bike to India at whatever the cost. A year and half later, Yamaha brings an even more powerful R3 to India and we all know the story next. The overwhelming petitioners where nowhere to be seen. A mere 1000 units sold in its first year while the hype would have you believe they'd sell more or less 1000 units a month atleast.

If customers aren't showing interest to line up for R3 and Ninja 400s in our market, what incentive do other manufacturers have to risk losing a lot of money in bringing similar products to the country? This is why Yamaha experimented with the old Brazil model aka the FZ250 and Kawi decided to localize the now discontinued N300 here. If you want newer tech, you should be ready to shell out more for it. Manufacturers study each other's performance.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 22nd April 2019 at 19:09.
Nithesh_M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:07   #189
BHPian

Yamaha: I will not bring MT03 or MT07 because people in India are not ready to pay their international price.

Me: OK. But then why MT09 is here (with an ex-showroom price upwards of Rs. 10 L)? People ready to pay for that?

Honda: I will not bring CBR 250RR or CBR 400R because people in India are not ready to pay their international price.

Me: OK. But then why CBR650R/CB1000R is here?

I am unable to understand simple logic here. It is not that MT09 or CB 1000R are doing some decent volumes in India. Inspite of that, they are here.
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:58   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
I am unable to understand simple logic here. It is not that MT09 or CB 1000R are doing some decent volumes in India. Inspite of that, they are here.
Because motorcycles above 800cc can be imported as CKD / CBU and launched without homologating locally as per ARAI requirements - an expensive process for these companies to sell such low volume bikes.

Plus you also have less competition and better margins in such higher segment bikes. The 300 class not only has less sales, but some very fierce local competition, cut throat pricing and low margins as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd April 2019 at 21:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:52   #191
BHPian

Quote:
The Indian customer wants everything without paying the requisite price for it. I understand the customer's price and value comparison with other markets but do realise that taxes are an overwhelming component of the price customer pays and the realisation to the manufacturer does not cover the cost.

For example - the Honda City in Thailand comes with a large storage bin under the rear seats and a reclinable rear seat. Indian customers when asked if the 2 features are needed. 100% those surveyed said 'Want it'.

When asked how much extra will they pay - 100% said Zero! Hence, not given.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:04   #192
BHPian

Quote:
The Indian customer wants everything without paying the requisite price for it. I understand the customer's price and value comparison with other markets but do realise that taxes are an overwhelming component of the price customer pays and the realisation to the manufacturer does not cover the cost.

For example - the Honda City in Thailand comes with a large storage bin under the rear seats and a reclinable rear seat. Indian customers when asked if the 2 features are needed. 100% those surveyed said 'Want it'.

The point you are making would have made sense if Honda City in India had very competitive pricing, but everyone can agree that the City, especially in the ZX trim is ridiculously overpriced (and is still selling). If Honda is complaining about the Indian people not being ready to pay more for it, then the problem is with them and their greed, not with the Indians. May be they should just shed some of their Japanese arrogance of considering themselves on par with BMW, Merc etc. and look at the reality (as a maker of Brio, Amaze and Mobilio).

Last edited by theredliner : 2nd May 2019 at 13:06.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 10:43   #193
BHPian

Picked up the CB300R last week. Will share more detailed feedback soon, but coming from a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X, the brakes, smoothness and handling (due to light weight) is amazing. I previously had the Ninja 650R so the power on this is obviously less, but for my style of riding (short runs in the city and very rare morning highway ride), it seems perfect. The seating is obviously a bit aggressive compared to the Thunderbird, but doesn't seem a big issue thus far.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th June 2019 at 18:01. Reason: Typos fixed.
nirvanaguy19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 11:17   #194
BHPian

Autocar review of the CB300R

Motorbeam review

Zigwheels review

MotorOctane review

Carandbike review

Last edited by Mukund : 1st June 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Added more reviews...
Mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 09:04   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think Honda has launched a lot of features in India without such survey I am sure.

The process of finalizing features of a car is called conjoint analysis and no one feature is evaluated in isolation. If thats what they are doing then I am wondering how did they give cruise control in so many models. Indian customers hardly understand what cruise control is and how it works. A genuine sample will reflect this lack of understanding which will result in small minority knowing and even smaller minority wanting the features. But we have it in so many honda cars.

Same logic can be applied to Magic seats. Do they do a survey to remove popular features too? Why was such a popular feature discontinued?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks