Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: December 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

About my earlier point on the Kawasaki H2, I found this update on social media regarding the 1st H2 SX in India being delivered on January 6, 2019. Lets see if this is clubbed in with the H2 numbers in next month's thread.

December 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-49452229_2247617335522938_7933323552315408384_o.jpg

Source - https://www.facebook.com/anzen.kawas...type=3&theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And hope it is not because the dealers are already sitting on a big inventory of Streets. RE 650 is sure to affect some of their sales - so will need to watch out for future months.
I believe you and ethanhunt123 are right on the money. That was the first thought on my mind as well but wanted to wait for one or two more months numbers to come in before being sure of it.

Quote:
Believe Autopunditz had clubbed Xtreme and Xtreme 200R under one row till last month, splitting it this time around. So we do not have the splitup of 200R sales (if any) till last month.
Yes, that's what I suspected. It will be interesting to see how the Xtreme 200R fares. The low price is sure to pull in a lot of potential customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I wonder why considering its widely regarded to be the best touring machine around in these forums ?
In the real world also, no?

Since you brought up the bike, I must mention this, on a recent ride to Kotagiri with fellow TBHPians, there was a local rider who blitzed past all of us in the bends on his CT100. And we ourselves weren't twiddling around the bends on our bikes so that tells you something. Yes, familiarity with the roads was on his side, but he left us far behind and more importantly, left me realizing that there's a lot more to these mighty commuters than what I used to give them credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I agree about the comment on 0% scheme for Z900 - definitely seems to have given a big push considering its one of the best entry level inline-4 bikes.
Yes, with this and the Suzuki S750 picking up steam, the expensive Triumph Street Triple S will likely be pushed out of contention. Triumph really did miss the mark with the pricing of the Triple S which in fact makes second hand Triple 675s appear to be great bargains instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I guess the Verys650 and Ninja 650 sales are being clubbed and reported, its hard to believe, zero sales of V650 in the last 6 months.
Incidentally I was also very interested on the same point and was doing some research, i.e. Facebook browsing, on the same. Since Anzen Kawasaki is a showroom that is doing well in sales, I looked up the sales updates for the last few months as a benchmark. Yes, there were no dispatches of the Vulcan S and Versys 650 for the last 6 months. But here are the sales updates on FB (there could be more customers that didn't want their updates posted on social media) that I found

October 2018 sales
- Versys : 3

- Vulcan : 3

November 2018 sales
- Versys : 1

- Vulcan : 0

December 2018 sales
- Versys : 0

- Vulcan : 2

So what gives? Are dealers sitting on this much inventory for months on end? I know that Kawasaki sends out different models in different months but if dealers are sitting on bikes that take months to sell, then that's not a very viable model. Or are there some discrepancies in the numbers?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 01:48. Reason: Minor formatting
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Will work on both before the next report gets published.
Thank you for being receptive to trying new things!

Quote:
Regarding graphs - Do you suggest all the reports to be clubbed in a graph? Personally, I feel that will end up looking cluttered and with many lines crossing each other.
Since you asked this question, I did some thinking, and came up with a suggestion. Similar to how the cars are grouped into A, B1, B2 etc., maybe we can group the bikes in graphs based on their price.
I'm honestly not very sure of how much price disparity there is between the commuter bikes, so my initial suggestion would be something like this:
  • <0.5 lakh
  • 0.5-0.75 lakh
  • 0.75-1 lakh
  • 1-2 lakhs
  • 2-3 lakhs
  • 3-5 lakhs
  • 5-7.5 lakhs
  • 7.5-10 lakhs
  • >10 lakhs

Of course it would take some effort to initially classify all the bikes into their respective category, but that is a one time effort, and wouldn't need to be repeated.

It is just a suggestion, and I would definitely like to hear what other members of this forum think of it.

Cheers

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 01:48. Reason: Minor formatting
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea about the planned production capacity for the Enfield twins? The numbers that come out in the next few months will tell us but just curious.
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:11   #19
BHPian

Four Karizma ZMRs sold in the month of December? At this point, it's certainly not VFM.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Strictly no name calling on the forum - directly or otherwise. Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Harley Davidson had the worst month in the industry. At least it was predominantly their bigger bikes that got dispatched so thats some respite. I haven't heard of any possible causes for this so I suppose its just to avoid dealers sitting on 2018 stock in the new year.
HD's factory was closed for at least half of December. It would be interesting to know how many bikes they manufactured the whole month.

They were emptying their old stock in November so dealers were offering pretty good deals on the larger bikes for the last couple of month on older bikes (Early 2018 - Late 2017).

The dispatch through the rest of the year seems consistent and dealers are quite happy ordering and stocking the Street right now since they are able to sell them quite fast.

What I find amazing is that Harley was able to sell 10 of their top of the line CVOs in 2018.
VellVector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:53   #21
BHPian

Kawasaki received 100 bookings on 10R, on the reduction of price. Seems it still, has not delivered all.

Last edited by Vasuki : 23rd January 2019 at 19:57.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:21   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent compilations...any news on how electric scooters are doing? The Ather twins got off to a good start considering the number of initial booking. Would love to know if it was a flash in the pan or an emerging trend that's likely to pick up.
Old 24th January 2019, 00:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Ducati and BMW always play spoil sport every month with their missing numbers in the dispatch figures but some recent news provides insights into how the big German has performed in India in 2018. BMW sold (as compared to dispatched) 2,178 motorcycles in India with the entry level 310s contributing over 75% of the volumes.

Assuming that the number is actually 75%, that means BMW sold only 544 units of their larger bikes as compared to 1,634 units of their 310s. Im quite amazed by the sales performance of the 310s but browsing through the social media updates of the BMW showroom in Cochin show quite a few deliveries in recent weeks! Their brother from another mother, the TVS RR310 has done 5,297 units only in 2018. If someone told me that if we combined the sales / dispatches for the BMW 310s and the TVS 310 for 2018 and that BMW managed 23.57% of the joint sales of the platform in India with their ridiculous pricing and sky high spare prices, I would have laughed so hard I would have fallen off my chair. But the numbers don't lie and BMW proves that I have to eat humble pie.

Maybe, despite all the negative publicity about their poor quality entry level motorcycles (not making a sweeping statement without proof, this is based on the rather concerning thread on TBHP regarding the same) BMW does know a thing or two about our country's motorcycle industry. Well done, BMW!

In comparison:

- Triumph dispatched (not sold) 1,057 units in 2018 without any sub Rs 5L entry level bike.

- Kawasaki did 2,665 units with the entry level (below 300cc) offerings doing 841 units (as compared to 1,634 unitsof the BMW 310!) This is only 31.5% of Kawasaki's dispatches so dealers are obviously happy that expensive and more profitable bigger bikes hold the majority in sales. Will the inexpensive Ninja 300 wipe out the BMW 310s in the premium segment in 2019? This will be fascinating to track.

- HD did 3,105 (or is it 3,104? Post number two has it at 3,105 and post number 6 has it as 3,104. Very strange!) units in 2018. Percentage wise, their entry level bikes (Street Rod + Street 750) together did 1979 units which is 63.7% of their overall dispatches. Im sure dealers would prefer if their split of entry level vs other motorcycles was more in line with Kawasaki than their current trend.

Link - https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le25901282.ece

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
HD's factory was closed for at least half of December. It would be interesting to know how many bikes they manufactured the whole month.

They were emptying their old stock in November so dealers were offering pretty good deals on the larger bikes for the last couple of month on older bikes (Early 2018 - Late 2017).

The dispatch through the rest of the year seems consistent and dealers are quite happy ordering and stocking the Street right now since they are able to sell them quite fast.
This is most useful and the reason why I refrained from speculating on the real cause in the first place. That said, the clickbait websites that masquerade as Indian journalism outlets have already proclaimed that the RE 650s have resulted in the near wipe out of the HD Street 750 and Street Rod. Its not like they had much credibility to lose in the first place, sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
What I find amazing is that Harley was able to sell 10 of their top of the line CVOs in 2018.
Ten CVOs, nine H2s and thirty five Goldwings in the year. Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'm honestly not very sure of how much price disparity there is between the commuter bikes, so my initial suggestion would be something like this:
  • <0.5 lakh
  • 0.5-0.75 lakh
  • 0.75-1 lakh
  • 1-2 lakhs
  • 2-3 lakhs
  • 3-5 lakhs
  • 5-7.5 lakhs
  • 7.5-10 lakhs
  • >10 lakhs
This would be most useful indeed!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 01:49. Reason: Minor formatting
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks