Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter

The first design sketches of what appears to be Bajaj Auto's upcoming scooter have leaked online. The new model could be launched under the new Urbanite brand.

First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter-urbanite1.jpg

Looking at the sketches, it seems that the design of the new scooter was inspired by the Yamaha Fascino and the Vespa range. Long oval shaped indicators are placed on the front cowl, while the headlight takes the conventional position on the handle. It appears to have a circular instrument cluster and a front storage compartment. The scooter has curved side panels with elongated turn signals and a U-shaped tail light.

First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter-urbanite2.jpg

While technical details about the new scooter are scarce, the images suggest that Bajaj's new scooter is likely to get a single-sided front suspension and multi-spoke alloy wheels. It doesn't appear to have disc brakes.

First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter-urbanite3.jpg

Reports suggest that Bajaj might debut the Urbanite brand sometime during the 2019 festive season.

First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter-urbanite4.jpg

Source: Bikewale

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter

Given how years ago Bajaj took the leap to provide exciting bikes over and above the usual commuter bikes, I hope they take the initiative and provide those big 250 cc maxi scooters as well. Given that the likes of Yamaha, Suzuki etc seem to be showing no signs of launching them here.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 13:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Exiting the scooter segment completely was one of the biggest mistakes Bajaj did - and over the years, even TVS learned the art and now sells more than 1 lakh scooters a month consistently.

Good to see Bajaj finally trying to get back in the game once again. However, it surely will have tough competition and the journey will not be a cakewalk, as recent trends show a good decline of scooters against motorcycles in terms of marketshare.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 13:21   #4
BHPian

Finally, Bajaj is back on scooters. A lot of people especially investors wondered why Bajaj is so stubborn for not looking at scooter segment, a low hanging fruit. At this point when Vespa, Aprilla etc., are lining up launches in a big way completely neglecting this segment has no rationale.

Anyway, considering the huge network Bajaj has, it is probably more worry to Honda's merry
----------------------------------------------
PS: Instead of looking for design inspirations outside they may also consider reviving "Hamara Bajaj, Chetak", lot of us are nostalgic.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th February 2019 at 13:33.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 14:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

interesting. In last years AGM Rajiv Bajaj had made the below statement to the shareholders and investors:

"Before you ask me again next year to make scooters can you please ask Siddharth Lal to make scooters? If he makes scooters I promise you I will also make scooters. Siddharth Lal makes 29% EBIDTA margin, perhaps even more because he does not make scooters”, added Bajaj."

Wonder, what made him bite the bullet now?
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 15:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj never made it big in the gearless scooters segment.

Their Sunny was the only one that sold some units but again, reliability was exactly the opposite of what the Chetaks and Supers were known for.

I owned a Super from 1993 to 1998 and trust me, it was the best two wheeler I ever had. I spent money on changing its gear oil twice, one set of tyres, two clutch cables and one set of gear cables. That was like short change then.
And mileage? The scooter consistently returned 46-48kmpl when ridden at 35kmph max.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 15:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

Anyway, considering the huge network Bajaj has, it is probably more worry to Honda's merry
----------------------------------------------
I think you got it the other way round. Bajaj has more to worry than Honda here. Bajaj has around 660 dealers across 31 states and 408 cities. Link

Honda on the other hand has 4800 dealers countrywide as of 2016 alone! Link

Honda consistently sells 2x in numbers compared to what Bajaj can manage. Bajaj has an uphill task to enter a fresh segment, disrupting it will be a far cry.

Strongly suggest you look at this thread Link (December 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis)

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th February 2019 at 15:21.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 15:50   #8
BHPian

Given how this segment is almost exclusively focussed on intra-city travel, Bajaj could have a first mover/ disruptor advantage - if - they can come up with a reliable, value for money electric scooter. Hope they are considering that.
mn2363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:25   #9
BHPian

I thought Urbanite was supposed to be an electric vehicle brand (link). The images indicate a normal IC engine scooter. If Bajaj wants to sell a scooter where consumers have sea of options, they must be really optimistic. If and when Urbanite launches, I believe it will start its journey competing with likes of Vespa and may be Suzuki in sales. TVS is only player who have managed to stand up to Activa tsunami and this is after decades of selling scooters.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I think you got it the other way round. Bajaj has more to worry than Honda here. Bajaj has around 660 dealers across 31 states and 408 cities. Link

Honda on the other hand has 4800 dealers countrywide as of 2016 alone! Link
Sir, Thanks for those data, I do not deny the size of Honda when it comes to two wheelers. But Honda is all about Activa (I own one). Few years back it used to be monopoly with waiting period of 3+ months.

When Suzuki launched Access 125, TVS launched Jupiter, it was more worry to them than Honda given the uphill road. But thanks to the same 109cc Honda called enough to offer for Indian market. May be they thought there is no competition anyway. Slowly but steadily Access and Jupiter have gone uphill and are churning decent numbers.

If Bajaj is launching a scooter, surely an uphill task but if it is a good product it may churn numbers similar to Jupiter. I stand by my statement, Honda's merry is Activa and if they do not upgrade with market launches, Tortoises are going to win.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th February 2019 at 16:49.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:58   #11
BHPian

Those look more like the patent images rather than design sketches.
Welcome back Bajaj.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2019 at 07:49. Reason: typo
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Re: First design sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Given how years ago Bajaj took the leap to provide exciting bikes over and above the usual commuter bikes, I hope they take the initiative and provide those big 250 cc maxi scooters as well. Given that the likes of Yamaha, Suzuki etc seem to be showing no signs of launching them here.
Completely agree. Even Suzuki Burgman was released as a 125cc scooter here which is just disappointing.

Just like how the motorcycle manufacturers were sleeping for years on the demand of higher capacity motorcycles until RE started minting money, current scooter manufacturers appear to be happy to keep the status quo. High performance scooters definitely have a lot of pent up demand in my opinion and no one seem to be serving them.

But I doubt Bajaj is the one who is going to give us those scooters.
Old 21st February 2019, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I can see a Vespa 300 and Yamaha Fascino in the Sketches.
hillram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 16:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Bajaj never made it big in the gearless scooters segment. Their Sunny was the only one that sold some units but again, reliability was exactly the opposite of what the Chetaks and Supers were known for.
I believe those models were based on vespa of the period and hence reliable.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd February 2019 at 21:13. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

As recently as two weeks back, Rajiv Bajaj said that they will not get into the traditional gearless scooter segment. However, he said they have plans to introduce a premium electric scooter. My guess is that Bajaj Urbanite will be powered by batteries.

Most Viewed