Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 18:01   #31
BHPian

Re: I bought another Suzuki Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Update on the shogun

The chassis is gone for welding and soon it will go into paint. Rest of the items will go into paint by today evening.

I have an RX135 tiger(my first restoration) engine rebuild, hoping to complete it by end of this week then we will start the shogun assembly. In the mean time the wheels needs to be given for truing, we have some busy days ahead of us.

Pramod
I think the porting for RX135 Tiger is slightly different compared to RX135 YEIS. I had one in my college days for a short span of time. It had a weird rectangular speedometer like Hero Honda CD100.
Old 28th March 2019, 09:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax1200 View Post
I think the porting for RX135 Tiger is slightly different compared to RX135 YEIS. I had one in my college days for a short span of time. It had a weird rectangular speedometer like Hero Honda CD100.
The ports are same as any RX 135 4 speed /RXG.

Other than the rectangular speedo, it had RX 100 type tank decals, side covers had tiger decal, black indicators(non chrome), Non adjustable rear shocks, back mudguard was plastic.

Pramod
Old 28th March 2019, 10:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
The ports are same as any RX 135 4 speed /RXG.

Other than the rectangular speedo, it had RX 100 type tank decals, side covers had tiger decal, black indicators(non chrome), Non adjustable rear shocks, back mudguard was plastic.

Pramod
Yes you are correct. After selling Tiger, i bought a RX135 YEIS at that time. The performance was better compared to tiger. When i checked with the mechanics in Yamaha showroom, they confirmed that the porting is slightly different for tiger. As per them, it was detuned slightly for mileage. Also, there was a jerking in Tiger when we close the throttle.

So, i think there are some differences in the engine.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are correct. After selling Tiger, i bought a RX135 YEIS at that time. The performance was better compared to tiger. When i checked with the mechanics in Yamaha showroom, they confirmed that the porting is slightly different for tiger. As per them, it was detuned slightly for mileage. Also, there was a jerking in Tiger when we close the throttle.

So, i think there are some differences in the engine.

Trust me, There is absolutely no differences in the engine, The porting is identical.

There was a recall in the tiger, they changed to a bigger magnet, that solved the jerking problem. YEIS is the Yamaha Energy Induction System, that was nothing but the boost bottle that you see in RX 135(4S and 5S) not the RXG.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, There is absolutely no differences in the engine, The porting is identical.

There was a recall in the tiger, they changed to a bigger magnet, that solved the jerking problem. YEIS is the Yamaha Energy Induction System, that was nothing but the boost bottle that you see in RX 135(4S and 5S) not the RXG.

Pramod
But i remember mechanic was saying that the number in cylinder is different (E2 series i think not sure). Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Some mechanics are the reason why 2 stroke bikes were abandoned by their owners.

Example of such a low life's art work.
Damn mate! This ain't stupidity, it's sheer insanity .

Anyway, great job showing so much patience to strip her down to bits and pieces and rebuilding from there.

So long since I paid any heed to my RX 100. Have to get some minor jobs done and will meet up with you soon. Can't wait to see your mouthwatering garage .

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2019 at 20:09. Reason: Please do not quote videos. Thanks!
Old 28th March 2019, 13:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But i remember mechanic was saying that the number in cylinder is different (E2 series i think not sure). Please correct me if i am wrong.
There is no difference between various series. Its more of an urban myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Damn mate! This ain't stupidity, it's sheer insanity

Anyway, great job showing so much patience to strip her down to bits and pieces and rebuilding from there.

So long since I paid any heed to my RX 100. Have to get some minor jobs done and will meet up with you soon. Can't wait to see your mouthwatering garage
Things have to be done to my satisfaction, if not then i don't attempt it.
The garage is a mess, its only mouthwatering in-terms of the garage mates . You are welcome to drop in on a weekend.

Pramod

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2019 at 20:09. Reason: Spacing fixed.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on the shogun.

All welding is completed and the parts are dropped at the painter for paint.

I am not opting for powder coating since I have seen the finish on some of the bike the painter has painted and its just phenomenal.

Another major reason for not opting for powder coating is due to the fact that all the powder coating guys burn the paint off, not with a blow torch but with a bonfire

The problem with such an invasive measure is it warps the parts, so my pervious experience with a similar bike was not that great, the entire chassis was tweaked and it lead to uneven panel gaps.

Due to these drawbacks I decided to go with painting instead of powder coating

The parts are expected to be completed by next weekend. I will keep the group posted.

Pramod

Last edited by navin : 1st April 2019 at 11:09. Reason: typos
Old 30th March 2019, 15:17   #39
BHPian

Hi Pramod, just watched your YouTube video on the Shogun seat. Noticed the excellent work done on the RX seat too.

Small query, did the guy you mentioned do the chrome beading job on the RX seat? It's so perfectly done.
Old 1st April 2019, 09:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod, just watched your YouTube video on the Shogun seat. Noticed the excellent work done on the RX seat too.

Small query, did the guy you mentioned do the chrome beading job on the RX seat? It's so perfectly done.
The chrome beading can be either bought by you or the seat guy can buy this(he already has stocks), they do an amazing job with any seat you give them, I have done close to 20 seats from him and not once I was dissatisfied.

If you are in Kazhakuttom, you need to take a turn towards west gate of Major Mahadevan Temple, In front of the gate This shop would be on your left. Look for Redhish, He will take care of you.

Regards,
Pramod
Old 8th April 2019, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

So all the painted bits minus the body panels and tank are here. The paint job is phenomenal.

Pramod
Old 8th April 2019, 10:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
So all the painted bits minus the body panels and tank are here. The paint job is phenomenal.
Great going Pramod, seems like the Shogun has got you (me as well) all excited that the work is proceeding at an interstellar pace. Can't wait to see the final build.
Old 8th April 2019, 10:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great going Pramod, seems like the Shogun has got you (me as well) all excited that the work is proceeding at an interstellar pace. Can't wait to see the final build.
The build will start in the coming weekend. Waiting for the wheels to be trued. Need to get pulsar spokes, Not available in most of the shops I know. I have decided to paint the rims Glossy black, Looking at the paintjob quality i believe it will look awesome.

Pramod
Old 11th April 2019, 10:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

All the shogun bits are painted. Checkout the finish

The Tank and the panels are also painted, then I applied the stickers on it

Let me know how it looks. The tank and panels are back at the painter's for the final clear coat. I will get it in the evening.

Meanwhile the rims have also been painted black and they look phenomenal. The hubs are also painted black, the spokes are new, I am yet to give them for truing since i could not procure the pulsar front spokes.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:34   #45
BHPian

The gloss that the painted parts are giving off, that too without clear coat and polish, is simply out of this world buddy! And yeah, stickering job done very well. Can't wait to see the final look after the clear coat is applied. BTW the title of the first video, it's 'stickering' right?

PS : Do refer me to this paint shop when the time comes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks