Team-BHP - I bought another Suzuki Shogun
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   I bought another Suzuki Shogun (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/206733-i-bought-another-suzuki-shogun.html)

As the threads title says, I bought another Shogun.

Why did I buy one?

After restoring one which I ended up selling later, More details here. I always wanted one. Fast forward to 2016, I was bestowed up an opportunity to restore one, The restoration took me 45 days. Here is the end result

The second one was the final nail in the coffin, that was running so beautifully that I wanted one even more. So my endless search began. All were either too heavily priced or were Samurai to shogun convert(Cosmetics :Frustrati)

In the mean time the prices for shogun spares began skyrocketing. A cylinder kit was retailing above 20k on facebook and OLX.

On a desperate Monday evening I was just casually surfing OLX and I found a shogun, The price was right, The registration number was visible in the ad. The first think I did was to verify if the bike is a shogun and if the paperwork current.

It checked both of those boxes, The Bike had fitness till Dec 2020 and the tax was valid till Nov 2019. Immediately send him a message in OLX asking his number, The guy was responsive, also told him that I will only be free on a Saturday.

Was eagerly waiting for Saturday to arrive, Frantically checking each day if the bike is sold.

On Saturday went and saw the bike, liked it(it is rough) paid the full amount and bought the bike. Did 3 rides from the owners place to mine in My RX 100 and in the "new to me" shogun. Dropped the RX 100 at my place and took the shogun with me as pillion, Dropped the owner back to his place, it was night already so the ride back home was uneventful, the bike performed well and the rear brakes had a lot of play so took it easy.

Shogun in my garage(sorry for the crappy pic)

I bought another Suzuki Shogun-img_7843.jpg
I bought another Suzuki Shogun-img_7844.jpg

As soon as I came home, I wanted to make a list of things that were wrong, So here it is;

The mechanicals and electrical:
  1. The bike had a Max 100 silencer the owner had the original exhaust
  2. None of the lights except the headlight were working.
  3. It had no horn
  4. The Christmas tree instrument cluster was dead
  5. The tacho was stuck at 14k RPM
  6. the speedo was not working
  7. It was not idling well
  8. had no rear brake
  9. No battery.
  10. The wiring kit was a rats nest
  11. The engine kill switch or the ignition kill switch were not working
  12. Max 100 tail lights
  13. Rear indicators missing
  14. Local headlight beam
  15. Front shock was leaking
  16. Rear RX 100 Seat
  17. Carb was leaking
  18. The air-filter was bone dry
  19. both tyres were shot
  20. rear indicator brackets were missing
  21. The flute was stuck in the exhaust
  22. Both the switches are broken

The Cosmetics:
  1. The tail section was missing,
  2. The paint was all screwed,
  3. The visor had a small crack and the glass was missing.
  4. It had max 100 rear mudguard,
  5. The side panels were broken
  6. The front mudguard was broken
  7. Rims had pitting
  8. Hubs were painted silver
  9. Both the mirrors are missing
  10. Seat is all gone

The good stuff
  1. Its a shogun and its black :D
  2. The tank had zero rust
  3. The cylinder though I lift it, is a .25 as per the seller and is powerful
  4. All the locks open with one key and its a metal key
  5. The bike runs straight, signs of no major accident
  6. Good at a extremely mouth watering price
  7. Engine has new oil seals and clutch plates
  8. chain and sprocket look ok
  9. the gear change is smooth
  10. All bearing are good and no unwanted noise from the engine or wheels
  11. The mask is original and not a cheap fiberglass replica

The game plan

The game plan is to do a complete ground up restoration including a complete engine check-up to see if a rebuild is required. If yes then a pin to pin restoration.

Full paint(same colour) full cosmetics, Front end upgrade with old apache forks and rotor and other brake gear with Fiero F2 hub.

Keep watching this space.

Pramod

Great. I have memories of riding Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ which was such a wonderful machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4546306)
The game plan is to do a complete ground up restoration including a complete engine check-up to see if a rebuild is required. If yes then a pin to pin restoration...
Keep watching this space.

To make your life little more uncomfortable (and to put you on spotlight ;)) <- What if you do a video + timelapse on your entire restoration work? No need for end to end, but atleast few part by part fitting timelapse, just like we see old bike restoration videos?

If you were in Chennai or if I were in TVM, I would've run towards you for the video making sessions while you work, unfortunately, I can only share my experiences with you.

Just think over & ping me if you're interested, you've my number don't you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4546312)
To make your life little more uncomfortable (and to put you on spotlight ;)) <- What if you do a video + timelapse on your entire restoration work? No need for end to end, but atleast few part by part fitting timelapse, just like we see old bike restoration videos?

If you were in Chennai or if I were in TVM, I would've run towards you for the video making sessions while you work, unfortunately, I can only share my experiences with you.

Just think over & ping me if you're interested, you've my number don't you?

Thanks Aargee, will do a detailed video, not just a Timelapse. I am hoping to get my wingman back :D if he is there the video bit is covered. I have lost your number, please do PM me.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4546315)
Thanks Aargee, will do a detailed video, not just a Timelapse

Ok, but, detailed video for publishing is not recommended. Will talk on this more & explain you as why. But yes, you can go in for full fledged shooting with or without TL

Number PM'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4546477)
Ok, but, detailed video for publishing is not recommended. Will talk on this more & explain you as why. But yes, you can go in for full fledged shooting with or without TL

Number PM'd

Thanks for the number, I will call you during the weekend :thumbs up.

Folks, Here is the list of things needed.
  1. New headlight dome
  2. New wiring kit
  3. new cables
  4. New bar Handle
  5. New Grips
  6. New Yokes
  7. New switch gear(both sides)
  8. New clutch leaver(chrome)
  9. Front brake master cylinder(Apache-New/used)
  10. Front rotor(Apache-New/used)
  11. Front Caliper(Apache-New/used)
  12. Front Brake hose(Apache-New)
  13. Brake fluid Dot 3
  14. Chrome Front Brake leaver
  15. Speedo Worm
  16. Speedo cable
  17. Hub Spacer
  18. Axel(Shogun)
  19. New visor Glass
  20. New indicators 4Nos
  21. Side panels
  22. New Battery
  23. Rear Panels
  24. New seat
  25. Rear Mudguard
  26. Tail light assembly
  27. Rear Brake shoes
  28. Rear mudguard reflector
  29. Front tyre(Non Ribbed 270X18))
  30. Rear Tyre(Michilin Sirac Street 300X18)
  31. Rear Mudflap
  32. Front mudguard
  33. Sticker Kit
  34. Rubber kit
  35. Side stand
  36. Center stand
  37. Misc Bulbs
  38. Oil level sensor
  39. Engine screw kit
  40. Air filter screw kit
  41. Air filter element
  42. Carb rebuild kit
  43. Reed valve
  44. New rims(Hero Honda)
  45. Crash Guard(Bar/Butterfly)
  46. Packing kits
  47. Piston Rings(if needed)
  48. 12mm 1 inch Bolts(20 NOS) + Washer nuts(20)
  49. 10MM 1/2 Inch bolts (20)+ Washer nuts(20)
  50. New axels
  51. New engine mounting bolts
  52. 10mm Alen key bolts 1.25-1.5 inch 4 Nos

I have made an exhaustive list, Hoping I do not miss anything.

Pramod

Jesus, PK, that's a long list!! All the best for the restoration and hope she turns out to be a beauty. I always loved riding the Shogun. It has a short wheelbase and is a compact bike making it a delight in the corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yusha (Post 4546651)
Jesus, PK, that's a long list!! All the best for the restoration and hope she turns out to be a beauty. I always loved riding the Shogun. It has a short wheelbase and is a compact bike making it a delight in the corners.

Hello, Hello... Look who is here?

I know that list is crazy man, However with my kind OCD all these things need to be changed to make it looks in the condition I need it to be in.

Getting really old now :D Building a motorcycle lift, Design discussions in the DIY thread Can't work long hours sitting on a stool. Planning to start the disassembly by this weekend.

Pramod

Hi Pramod, I too was once a proud owner of "the Boss" (1996 model) but in a weak moment(which i still regret :deadhorse) sold it and bought a Unicorn. Then the two stroke itch came back in 2016 and when it became unbearable, i bought a 1994 RX 100, restored it from scratch to its full glory ( purchased for Rs 30000/- and spent another 40000/- for restoration), and ( fool as I am) sold it for a meager Rs 45000, after riding it for less than 2000 kms after restoration. I was normal for the last two years, but after reading your posts and seeing your videos, the 2 stroke madness is slowly creeping in. May I PM you for advice on RX restoration ? Anyway, will follow you on your restoration, which is going to be very hard but possible, considering the (non)availability of shogun spares. Happy rebuild !:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley Nair (Post 4546770)
Hi Pramod, I too was once a proud owner of "the Boss" (1996 model) but in a weak moment(which i still regret) sold it and bought a Unicorn. Then the two stroke itch came back in 2016 and when it became unbearable, i bought a 1994 RX 100, restored it from scratch to its full glory ( purchased for Rs 30000/- and spent another 40000/- for restoration), and ( fool as I am) sold it for a meager Rs 45000, after riding it for less than 2000 kms after restoration. I was normal for the last two years, but after reading your posts and seeing your videos, the 2 stroke madness is slowly creeping in. May I PM you for advice on RX restoration ? Anyway, will follow you on your restoration, which is going to be very hard but possible, considering the (non)availability of shogun spares. Happy rebuild !

Feel free to contact, I will love to help fellow 2 strokers. Now regarding the availability of spares, every single item on a shogun is available if one is ready to pay the price. However if one can wait everything can be bought at the right price. Most Suzuki spares were common across, shogun, samurai and shaolin shared all the body panels. Point is, this restoration is as easy as I make it sound.

Pramod

Pramod, get in touch with Kaveri Auto Parts on FB, he stocks a lot of RX and Shogun parts.

Sur Tinkering Works, Mysore will make panels out of metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 4546876)
Pramod, get in touch with Kaveri Auto Parts on FB, he stocks a lot of RX and Shogun parts.

Sur Tinkering Works, Mysore will make panels out of metal.

I actually have access to all the spares listed above locally, Thanks!

I am not looking at metal panels as of now, This will be a true stock restoration with disk brakes in the front.

Updates:

The Max 100 silencer, which the bike came with was an eye sore, had to go at any cost. Since the previous owner was generous enough he handed over the original silencer.

Many don't know, but a shogun silencer is a calculated chamber tuned by the factory, The flute plays a very important role, local made flutes mess around with the length hence affecting the over all performance.

The silencer I got with the Bike had the flute jammed inside the silencer, Some impatient soul had just beaten it back inside. My first task was to get the flute out.

I made a cut along the weld lines near the bend pipe and used a steel rod to push it out, The cut was welded back properly and the flute was Fixed properly and thoroughly cleaned.

How to clean a flute properly, video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPoBDyFTv50

It was then re assembled and I took it for a small run, The bike was not idling right, someone had messed around with the carb. The air screw was 4-5 turns out, I fixed it and immediately it started to idle well.

Sounded like an angry bee. :D

Pramod

Everything wrong with the shogun

https://youtu.be/mqzpGrtSPc4

Pramod

A box of goodies have arrived :thumbs up

Waiting for the next consignment. In the mean time updates on what's in the box and what's bought so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pfhc57MVo

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4550717)
A box of goodies have arrived :thumbs up

Waiting for the next consignment. In the mean time updates on what's in the box and what's bought so far.

Pramod

Is that a front disc plate? What bike is it from?