Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Need a RD350

Looking for a RD350 with an engine in good condition. Basically need the engine and transmission to plonk it in a modified CBZ. Anyone from Delhi-NCR please PM me with the details. The bike is required by a friend of mine, who is into bikes and is a member of X-Bhp.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

you want an rd 350 to strip it apart.why oh why would someone want to do something like that..i suggest if you do buy a 350 then keep it for a month atleast before the killer act, to knmow what it is to ride a 350.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The CBZ chasis flexes a lot and is not made for any kind of torque even close to the 350's . Modding a 350 into a CBZ (body) is a decent idea though I personally like the classic look, that's how I had mine.
But a 350 engine on a CBZ, not so good.
Old 23rd January 2007, 01:41   #4
BHPian

LOL !!! dude please tell ur friend to buy a karizma . if he wants an RD350 please explain to him that almost everythin on that bike ( except the electricals ) is way way ahead of anythin ever sold in India . the chassis is a direct lift of the TZ350 chassis . a well maintained RD with proper working cycle parts doesnt flex ... but then ive been lucky to ride 2 well maintained ones ... ive seen better lookin ones that dont handle as well...old bike ..cant expect the world frm it . as for ur friend plonking on an RD engine in a CBZ chassis tell ur friend that at 100 km/hr his rear wheel will start goin in front of his front tyre ...lol
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Looking for a RD350 with an engine in good condition. Basically need the engine and transmission to plonk it in a modified CBZ. Anyone from Delhi-NCR please PM me with the details. The bike is required by a friend of mine, who is into bikes and is a member of X-Bhp.
not possible. even if you modify the chassis, you're making it even weaker
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought u were supposed to post this kind in the market section !
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:59   #7
BHPian

This belongs to someone in the area.
He's had it for many years now and i dont hear him mentioning any chassis flex problems or anything as such

Last edited by cbr1000f : 23rd January 2007 at 10:00.
Old 23rd January 2007, 17:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a rd 350 engine on a cbz chassis..any idea who did the work on this bike.
Old 23rd January 2007, 17:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a member of X-Bhp.
Who else could think of destroying such a beauty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
He's had it for many years now and i dont hear him mentioning any chassis flex problems or anything as such
Can't make out from the pics, but is that just a CBZ tank and plastics, or the frame itself? Also, it would flex depending on how hard you pushed it, I should think. IIRC, a couple of guys in Coimbatore had taken the CBZ tank and plastics and tried to put it on an RD.
Old 23rd January 2007, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Can't make out from the pics, but is that just a CBZ tank and plastics, or the frame itself?

Cant make out much myself, but that does look like an RD frame with CBZ tank and plastics.

OT - I have a spare RD engine base (casing, gearbox, crankshaft and conrods) which I'm willing to swap for (1) barrels and heads or (2) barrels with a pair of original silencers.
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just checked the frame...this is definitely not a CBZ frame.
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Cant make out much myself, but that does look like an RD frame with CBZ tank and plastics.
Yeah, you're right... Its an RD chassis. With CBZ parts on it...

Got more snaps of this?
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Get an RD and fix disk brakes up front... That is all it takes it get a damn cool bike...

Please ask your friend not to be foolish... by the way... RD commands way more respect than any CBZ... he better be seen in an RD, that a CBZ, with seemingly ruined engine (with the 2 stroke roar from a CBZ, thats what people would think)
Old 26th January 2007, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your comments. But it would be helpful if someone could reply to the topic of the thread. As I have already mentioned the CBZ is already modified and the chassis will be strengthened further to take the torque of RD350 engine. Please have a look at the pic below. The whole idea is to modify a CBZ and NOT buy a new RD350. This is my friend's passion for the moment and would appreciate your help regarding this. It will be a one of a kind creation and let us see how it comes out. If someone didn't really succeed at the project earlier, we can learn form him and try to better it. It is dissappointing that you are discouraging such a bold endeavour which doesn't involve risk on your part. The risk is my friend's and he is ready to take it. I understand your passion regarding the RD350, and I think we are only appreciating the brilliant bike by using its engine in a modern bike. What else can be a bigger compliment to the legendary RD350.

ImageShack - Hosting :: moddedcbzhk5.jpg" http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4...dcbzhk5.th.jpg"
Old 26th January 2007, 20:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we are only appreciating the brilliant bike by using its engine in a modern bike. What else can be a bigger compliment to the legendary RD350.
I'm afraid this wont be a compliment to the RD. No amount of tweaking to the CBZ chassis can make it handle like the original RD.

The RD was (is) worshipped not just for its 350cc engine, but also for the brilliant chassis that the engine went into. Try chucking one around a few corners to understand.

Just replacing the OE shocks in the rear with some other shock from the market makes a drastic change. And the front end is another story altogether.

Putting an RD engine into a CBZ frame may be a pet project for someone, but it isnt going to be anywhere like the real thing. Which is why people say its better to buy an old RD and make it look better (I like the classic look, though - thats why I've even preserved the RAJDOOT sticker on mine)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks