Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 16:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R

Update at ODO 1500 kms

All my initial days are history by now. Although its my first geared bike in life, getting used to was a walk on the clouds, far smoother process than I ever visualised. My 13 year old boy is the witness to my 1st day to this moment (around 70 days of ownership). He saw me stalling at speed breakers and tricky congested traffic in the 1st week of riding. I thought it happened because I am new to the machine on 2 wheels. Later I came to know through global forums and other users that it stalls even for experienced riders due to its dicy gear/torque/RPM set up.

BMW has heard the issue loud and clear and they have started upgrading the ECU from 1st week of April, putting an end to this stalling and increasing the torque output at lower gear.

As I cross 1500 kms, I like to point out few things for the record :

1. This is a beautiful machine, designed and tuned for the urban set up
2. No heat from the engine in winter or summer on the move or stand still
3. Engine comes to life by touch of the start button, no delay
4. Perfect machine if you are happy with a speed of up to 100 kmph
5. Power is available at any gear with the right RPM
6. Moving through traffic, lane splitting, overtaking etc. as smooth as butter
7. Easy to clean as there are absolutely no sharp edges anywhere
8. Its a head turner by any standard, on the move or at signals.

Few negatives I am used to but should be improved in the next factory updates:

1. Exhaust note could be bit more deep
2. Horn needs an upgrade for highways
3. Vibration of mirror, tank, body etc at specific RPMs needs to stop
4. Fuel tank of 11 litres is a constraint for highway rides
5. Few quality issues are reported by riders on wiring, battery, alternator etc.

Each day is an excitement when a ride is required or planned. The attachment to this machine has forced me to dispose my X1 as its always covered and unused ! It's tough for me to love 2 machines same time, so big brother has to go
shajufx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update at ODO 2500 kms

It's been a wonderful journey so far ! No complaints, no breakdowns, no battery issues and no panic moments ! I was lucky to be part of 3 group rides (after the previous update) within the range of 150km from Bangalore city on weekends. Few points I like to highlight as of today :

1. Bike is very stable at higher speeds of 140 kmph on highway.
2. Brakes are excellent with the ABS kicking in each time its needed.
3. Confidence inspiring city and highway movements.
4. Absolutely no heat from the engine at any conditions.
5. Mileage has improved to 25-28 kmpl lately.
6. Its easily spotted in the crowd with clean golden forks, unique flarings, bigger white shock spring under the seat, aggressively better than KTM note from the exhaust and obviously the screaming BMW logo both sides

What I did myself in the last 1000 kms :

1. Full cleaning with the 1 ltr pressure spray bottle few times (manual)
2. 3M waxing on paint panels, 3M dashboard dresser on plastic panels
3. Motul chain cleaner and chain lube used once (done with paddock stand)
4. Tire pressure check done every 10 days and I keep a 32/34 (F&Rear)

Only minor issue noticed :
False Neutral few times this month.

Waiting for another DIY chain cleaning and lubing this week. I think it's a recommended action every 500 kms for a better life of the chain. Hope to enjoy more miles ahead and more group rides on weekends.

I believe around 400 bikes are delivered in Bangalore as 310R and GS, although I don't see many on the road. Either many of them are not aware we have a whatsapp group which is super active, or they chose to stay single

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-3.jpg
Early Morning at UB City

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-1.jpg
Group Ride meeting point at Kengeri - Ride to Thimmappana Betta

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-2.jpg
Group Ride to Nagamangala

Last edited by shajufx : 20th June 2019 at 14:47.
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 20:33   #33
BHPian

This battle of smaller enthusiast bikes is great. So difficult to chose between a KTM 390 and the BMW 310R. Glad you're enjoying it so much. Incidentally, did you consider the Motoman run in?
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
....So difficult to chose between a KTM 390 and the BMW 310R.... did you consider the Motoman run in?
KTM 390 is an aggressive machine liked to be revved hard. Different ownership experience reported there, I find them more with youngsters or college crowd. I am not aware of the Motoman run in. I followed the manual 😊
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
KTM 390 is an aggressive machine liked to be revved hard. Different ownership experience reported there, I find them more with youngsters or college crowd. I am not aware of the Motoman run in. I followed the manual 😊
Yes I agree with you, what I meant is that its a great budget as there are a few very admirable machines to chose from. Motoman is enssentially a hard run in, the exact opposite of what the manufacturer recommends. If I do buy a bike from this segment, it'll probably be a 390 as I'd like to eventually step upto a Striple.
Old 25th June 2019, 11:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
..... If I do buy a bike from this segment, it'll probably be a 390 as I'd like to eventually step upto a Striple.
Nothing wrong with any brand, each one has its own characteristics which someone finds more appealing. Looks could be misleading. Once you sit on it and move around, you should feel a "connection" to the machine, thats what matters
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
How I rode from the showroom to home :[/u][/b]
Shaju, first of all - congratulations on the bike. You have selected an awesome bike. I am in a very similar situation like yours. In Bangalore, I have a Pajero and I was then bitten by the biking bug. I picked up the Interceptor since I have been an RE person all along, and Interceptor seems to be delivering on all promises.

I also liked your thread for hte various riding gear and accessories you have noted - very helpful. How are you solving the luggage requirement - how to store a couple of grocery bags after the run to the friendly neighborhood grocer?
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
....how to store a couple of grocery bags after the run to the friendly neighborhood grocer?
Thanks buddy, congrats to you too. My bro in law in Mumbai is riding an Interceptor and he is mightily impressed with that beauty, although he tried to influence me on the same. Since I had an X1, I went with the same family

About the grocery and similar utility point of view, a backpack is the best option as mine is a naked bike and adding a box or saddle bags will kill the look of it. It should remain sleek and clean although I have seen riders fixing huge boxes on 310 bikes. Personal choices differ, we can't blame them. For you, saddle bags would look nice, there are plenty of designs available on Amazon and other motorcycle accessory online sellers.

If I ever buy a tail bag, it will be Viaterra, image below. Thats only when I do regular group rides out of city. Until then, a backpack serves the purpose !
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-viaterra.jpg
Old 15th July 2019, 18:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Formation of a Club -BMW RCI-

Around 400+ 310R and 310GS riders around Bangalore as of today. Almost 15 battery failures officially reported, breakdowns due to alternator failure, multiple RSA towing and minor niggles here and there of different parts. We thought its time to have a Club formed for the unity of BMW riders just to help each other at the time of trouble. Also to plan group rides, break-fast meetings, training sessions and whatever can be done as a Club.

Our voice is not heard enough as our numbers are just miniscule compared to the RE or Bajaj or Honda or Yamaha or KTM riders. Hope this brings some changes to our daily rides and ensure some peace of mind

This Club is not meant for any promotions, nor meant for public. Its purely to help BMW riders all across the country. If you are reading this, not having any fellow riders of the brand, good to connect. Team-BHP is always there to seek help for everything on wheels.

Welcome to BMW Riders Club India ( www.bmwrci.com )
We also have a mini forum for brand specific rides, trouble shooting etc.

Mods: This is not a promotion, but a tiny closed group of BMW riders, helping each other. In case this post does not meet the forum rules, please remove
Old 21st July 2019, 20:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Formation of a Club -BMW RCI-

Quote:
Around 400+ 310R and 310GS riders around Bangalore as of today. Almost 15 battery failures officially reported, breakdowns due to alternator failure, multiple RSA towing and minor niggles here and there of different parts. We thought its time to have a Club formed for the unity of BMW riders just to help each other at the time of trouble. Also to plan group rides, break-fast meetings, training sessions and whatever can be done as a Club.

Our voice is not heard enough as our numbers are just miniscule compared to the RE or Bajaj or Honda or Yamaha or KTM riders. Hope this brings some changes to our daily rides and ensure some peace of mind
shajufx, its sad to hear of the persisting issues for the 310 twins. Are these same issues present in the bikes sold abroad as well? How would you rate BMWs response to these problems in Bangalore? Are other owners happy with the BMW experience?

Motorcyclists tend to associate of reliability and peace of mind when talking about BMW motorcycles so it will be interesting to learn of your thoughts. Since this isnt a motorcycle that sells in high volumes, it isnt easy to get these details through public forums or blogs.
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formation of a Club -BMW RCI-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
...Are these same issues present in the bikes sold abroad as well? How would you rate BMWs response to these problems in Bangalore? Are other owners happy with the BMW experience?....
It's all the same globally, because every 310 is produced at TVS plant, Hosur. I am part of the global forum, there are lot of reports on battery, alternator etc. I also created a google doc to collect data from my own rider group. Around 15 of them have reported battery issues. This is less than 10% of the total number of bikes on road. Overall response from BMW Motorrad on this issue is below average. No idea what stops from a battery recall. Either outsourcing of the battery has gone wrong OR Quality check was not well executed ! If they can sort out the battery fear once and for all, this can be a very reliable machine, worth every penny spend on it

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd July 2019 at 09:28.
Old 22nd August 2019, 17:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Serious Battery Quality Issues !!

I have a serious information to readers who are going though this review. There is a major battery issue going on within my group of riders (around 135 owners) and many other groups all over the globe. Let me explain :

From the day I took delivery of my bike, there were at least 2 or 3 breakdown reports in my whatsapp group (every 2 weeks), totally stranded on road or on a highway. We always pushed it aside judging it as 1st batch bikes or bikes of 2018. But the moment it started hitting 2019 batches, we realised, there is a serious quality check failure with the batteries of 310 R and GS. Even the Alternator, Starter Motor etc are not spared in this trouble.

I created a Google Doc to collect reports, less than half the owners with issues took time to report it there, still we are crossing 22 'stranded' reports in that doc as of today only from Bangalore.

Multiple attempts were made to convince the Motorrad HQ to look into this issue, but they always rubbed it off as individual cases and never cared to do a 'battery health check up campaign' as requested by us as 'owners group'.

Our fight is now open and we are doing everything to make the company rectify their own quality issues. Stranded bikes are towed by RSA to the dealer and it remains there 1 week or 2 weeks having no parts or diagnosis mode. Even the battery replaced bikes go through the same issues again.

Now its a situation where anyone can get stranded on road with a dead battery, because nobody (including the HQ nor the Dealer) knows whats going wrong. This is totally unexpected of a brand like BMW and very depressing to see the issue not given its due importance and a solution.

We, as owners, seriously wish to have someone with a practical brain to be dealing with such reports and issues than a robotic response of "we will look into it", "we will get back to you" !! Its high time Motorrad India listens to its customers and do something about it immediately !

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-310gs.jpg
One of the 30+ bikes that are towed to the dealer in the last 4 months.

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd August 2019 at 17:11.
shajufx is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 16:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

ODO 4500 kms Update

So far so good, no complaints yet. Although I feel the itch for a more powerful engine, holding on to this until I explore the full potential of this engine. Multiple group rides have been done on it without any glitch, last one being a Yelagiri ride on 19th Oct, Saturday. It was a total of 345kms up and down done with joy. A clean open highway can easily give this machine a stable 145 kmph without a doubt. But, a 120 kmph is an ideal safety spot considering the engine power and the braking capability.

Flipping through the city traffic is a breeze, cruising along the highway above 120 kmph is a no stress affair too. Overall, this machine meets most riders' needs and styles.

Few additions:

1. Horn is upgraded to Hella
(Hella 011225801 3AM Compact Horn Set (12V,350/420 Hz,105-118 dB @ 2m))
Its a dual set, but I have installed the low tone for the moment, loud enough compared to the stock. Dual may require a relay and a professional wiring, so I am waiting to test the single for a while.

2. Got the ViaTerra 100% WP Claw Mini 2017 motorcycle tail bag - Black, which is a 35 ltr capacity. This is with the intention of doing overnight rides ahead, both solo and group.

3. Ordered the Rynox stealth evo jacket and Advento Pants. A tourer jacket is a must for outstation rides. I never had a rider pant so far, felt the need of additional protection after completing few group rides.

Looking forward to few solo rides and group overnight rides ahead
Old 21st October 2019, 18:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats shajufx. Red is a good pick for this bike.

Why didn’t you consider RR310 in your comparison? I picked up N300 2 months back and using it as a daily commuter. Honestly, stance of the seating position isn’t really bothering me on the rides as I find it comfortable a little more to your bill, you’d have got a 2 cylinder bike. However, bike is really nice to look at compared to the GS.

Thanks for the big list of accessories that you’ve jotted down which is helping me a lot to shortlist few for me
Old 21st October 2019, 18:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Congrats shajufx. Red is a good pick for this bike.
Why didn’t you consider RR310 in your comparison? I picked up N300 2 months back and using it as a daily commuter. Honestly, stance of the seating position isn’t really bothering me on the rides as I find it comfortable .....
Thanks buddy, congrats to you too. N300 was part of my consideration, but somehow all those plastic flarings of RR310 and N300 were not my choice. I think my upgrade would be a naked bike for sure, something in the Z900 or Ducati Monster range. BMW has 850R in the pipeline, if that comes out, it would make me stick to the same brand

Accessories is a never ending pit !! I am trying to be very careful about what I pick, because certain things that might look useful may end up rarely used. I sold my paddock stand to my group rider because it was unsafe to be in an apartment parking lot. Its so easy to use, a 5 year old can lift it up, making the bike fall over. I had no peace of mind.

For chain cleaning and lubing, I got a BlueBurns MotoJack Smart, Portable & Adjustable Jack from Amazon, yet to be delivered !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks