Team-BHP - Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/207118-ownership-review-bmw-g-310-r.html)

There are plenty of reviews done by experts on how good this bike is and videos on how it performs in the city and highway. I am not going to get into any of those details, but prefer to keep this space as a general guideline on many things that an ownership experience would come across.

This is my first geared bike in life so I was reserved about the power requirement, thereby limited my choices upto 300cc. The bikes I liked and considered were the following with details :

1. Kawasaki Ninja 300 : I liked everything about this bike but an upright sitting position was important for me, so it was off the list.

2. Dominar 400 : It ticked all the boxes but the new facelift is around the corner as informed by one of the sales persons. I didn't want to feel "old" within months of taking a new bike.

3. KTM 390 : Its a good bike, I have more than 6 within my neighbourhood and the image of a college kid bike made me look elsewhere.

4. Enfield TB 350x and 500x : Many user friends in my circle, but most of them didn't show an approval pointing to the vibrations, engine heat within city etc.

Now the reasons why I picked the BMW 310 R (Racing Red) :

1. Refreshing design and styling
2. Perfect power for my requirement
3. Unique in the crowd
4. Special liking for the brand (I drive an X1)
5. Positive reviews and videos

The delivery was taken on 30th January 2019 from Tusker Motorrad, Bangalore. On Road total is Rs.364500/- with the FREE Insurance (RSA not included. I didn't take it yet. Its 1 year = Rs.8259 and 3 years = Rs.21239). Bike was delivered on Temp Registration valid for 30 days (upto 27th Feb). I was also introduced to the whatsapp group of Bangalore 310 riders by another team-bhpian.

My Temp registration expired on 27th, Tusker failed to give me the permanent number within 30 days. I contacted the Motorrad India HQ and assistance was offered. Finally on the 31st day RTO number was messaged to me. Let's move on with the ownership experience and other related topics below.

Some images before we continue:

The perfect naked bike angle:
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2730.jpg

The 150mm rear tire is a perfect combo.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2738.jpg

Exhaust pipe is powder coated with added protection plate.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2740.jpg

Not so aggressive front view.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2745.jpg

Very simple and elegant display console (no color display)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2802.jpg

Engine kill switch and ignition switch are soft to touch. Mirrors are perfect.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2803.jpg

Side indicator with push cancellation, Horn button (need a horn upgrade)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2804.jpg

Tail might feel too long in some angle, I may get a tail tidy !
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2806.jpg

Exhaust opening is just the thumb finger size.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2809.jpg

My favorite angle which shows a fierce feel to the overall look. Its a perfectly designed bike by all means, a baby 1000R as per many reviewers.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-_sha2801.jpg

Things noticed in the first 30 days :

I received the bike with 6kms on the ODO. Today its at 370 kms. Running-in period as per the handbook has various parts. Ride under 6000 RPM upto 300 kms. No full throttle upto 1000 kms and mileage check to be done within the 500-1200 range etc.

Screenshot below :

Name:  runin.png
Views: 28555
Size:  167.2 KB

First service is to be done at 1000 and the following one at 10,000 which is pretty good interval compared to many other bikes in the market.

I like to point out the following Positive things as my first 30 days ownership :

1. Engine braking is just too good. Saves the brake pads and cables long term.
2. Seat comfort is at its best as the pillion seat is shaped bit higher, giving a slotted kind of feel to rider's butt at any speeds.
3. Suspension is perfect for Indian roads. Going through potholes is a pleasant experience and one will never get bored of the soft suspension.
4. Brakes are excellent with the twin ABS, I have checked hard braking, its a confidence inspiring feel.
5. Tires are wide enough to give a planted feel on any kind of road condition. The rear 150/60/R17 offers plenty of grip on cornering. I think Ninja 300 has 140 width for rear.
6. Instrument Cluster offers a wide range of information like Date, Time, ODO, Speed, RPM bar, Gear positions, Neutral green light, Distance to empty, Average Fuel used, Average Speed and plenty more.
7. Fuel tank design is so perfect, anyone below 6 feet will have his knee perfectly slotted on the tank sides. Its a firm gripping feel to the knees.
8. There is a suspension adjustment below the seat which can be done with the tool provided in the kit.
9. Engine heat is perfectly managed, one will never feel any heat coming to the legs regardless of the traffic condition or speed.
10. All the buttons are soft to touch, premium material and precise.

Now lets see some Negatives, which BMW can alter or upgrade in the upcoming batches :

1. Engine stalls easily at RPM under 2000, so one needs to keep it above the 2000+ band, specially at bumper to bumper and speed breakers. A 'creep' function would have been a big bonus within city as this bike is designed for urban conditions. But I am not sure of the possibility on a single cylinder.
2. Halogen headlights. It's a decade behind any other bike or scooter in the market right now. LED is the way and it saves battery.
3. Battery draining issues. Few owners have reported battery going dead middle of their ride or after keeping the bike idle for few days. There are few bad batteries reported so far, not enough number for a recall.
4. Rear Mud Guard/ Tyre Hugger Missing. If you dare to ride this machine in a drizzle or through slush, its guaranteed half the slush will be on your back. Even in normal dry conditions, under seat part gets totally dirty with a single ride within city. Presently rear tyre hugger is not available in India. Need to research on what other brand part can fit on this.
5. Fuel tank capacity is limited to 11 litres. Its not a major issue for riders who use it once a week or less than that. But a daily rider will make frequent visits to the fuel station.
6. AHO (Auto Headlamp On) feature on this bike might be a culprit contributing to the battery drain. Because a 55 watts Halogen bulb is ON from the moment ignition key is turned. If the engine is not started sooner, it will drain the battery instantly.
7. DRL is again the same 55 watts halogen. If BMW followed an LED angel light pattern from their cars, it would have been a power saver for sure, also beautiful to look at.
8. Exhaust Note is very similar to the KTM. I personally prefer bit more base note, but we can't ask too much from a single cylinder engine anyway. Few owners have upgraded to Akrapovic exhaust. But it's too loud for most people.

I will be adding more things as we cover more kilometers. As of now, its fresh and ready for the road anytime. Hope it serves me for a long time :D

My riding experience upto 400 kms on the ODO

1. There is a massive difference in how the engine responds to the throttle input as each 100 is crossed. It has already become smooth at 400kms.
2. Gear lever has become more precise. I used to see a --- symbol between gear shifts in the first week. Now it's no more there. Each slot has become very predictable, changes between gears with a soft push/pull.
3. Although I had seen some reviewers ride upto 50/60 kms on the 1st gear, its definitely not a good thing to do at least until the running-in period is over.
4. My present gear pattern is like this :
1st Gear : Upto 20
2nd Gear : Upto 30
3rd Gear : Upto 40
4th Gear : Upto 60
5th Gear : Upto 80
6th Gear : Above 80
5. Max speed touched so far is 100 kms on 6th gear keeping the RPM under 6000. Company claims 145 kmph officially, but I think it can go across 160 on good straight roads.
6. There is a mirror vibration seen when the RPM is higher than required at gears between 4th to 6th.
7. Gear change warning light is there on the console, but I have never seen it till today, may be after I cross 1000 km running-in period !!
8. I have taken 2 rides towards the Airport on this, the bike is planted at speeds above 80. There is no moment of doubt or fear at any point.
9. Crawling through traffic is a comfortable feeling as the handle bars are aptly placed on width and height.
10. This is a perfect bike for modifications, there are plenty of things you can do on this.
11. Lastly, the most feel good factor : Other riders always check top to bottom of this bike when you are at a signal or passing through someone. It has an exclusive feel to it. The logo on both sides are big enough to attract attention. Lot of people already know BMW bikes are expensive, not many know 310 is the cheapest from the brand :D

There are close to 150 BMW 310 R and 310 GS delivered in Bangalore. Out of that only 3 Racing Red are delivered in the R version. Mine is one. Also mine is the only BMW bike registered under KA-50 (Yelahanka RTO). So, if you find me on the road anytime, dont hesitate to wave a Hi

More thoughts will be shared as we cross more kilometers on this beauty !

How I rode from the showroom to home :

It was bit nerve wracking for me as 310 being my first bike. I never rode a geared bike more than few meters ever in my life. This being a 34 BHP machine and cutting through the peak Bangalore traffic from Lavelle Road to Hebbal was a dreadful affair. Anyway, I took a chance, nothing untoward happened and I reached home safe, with 2 engine stalls at signals :)

I had never taken a test ride, so this was my test ride and first serious ride. It was fun after the first 10 to 15 minutes of riding.

How I removed the Saree Guard :

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-310r.jpeg
You can see how a saree guard can spoil the entire look of this bike. I removed it on the 2nd day itself. Things to remember while doing this is :

1. Allen key provided in the tool kit will do only partial work. You need 1 size bigger allen key to remove the bottom nut of the guard.
2. There is an arm connected to the rear wheel nut, holding the saree guard
3. Find the "Spacer" provided in the handbook pouch or tool kit if you plan to remove the arm.
4. Remove the arm by using the spanner from the kit, replace that slot with the "spacer' and tighten the nut back into place.
5. Leave the right side of the rear wheel as it is.

Spacer Photo here :

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-spacer.jpeg

Things bought as first priority :

1. MT Helmet Thunder3 SV Cap Matt Helmet, Red (Rs.6250)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-mt.jpg

2. SCIMITAR Metro Jacket, Battle Green (Rs.4900)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-jacket.jpg

3. ASPIDA Hades Short Cuff Perforated Leather Gloves (Rs.3200)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-aspida.jpg

Paddock Stand

We need a Paddock stand for chain cleaning, lubing etc. So, I did my research and found single piece weld would be the stronger stand to take any kind of weight. Found the Grand Pitstop brand from Amazon for Rs. 2800.

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-ps1-copy.jpg

Although they claimed a straight out of the box use, I found the max width not able to hold the 310R frames. So, I measured the requirement and the holding arms were taken to a lathe work nearby and made additional holes on both arms.

Here are the measurements I found on my tape :

Maximum width possible : 13 inch (330mm)
Minimum width : 9.5 inch (240mm)
310 R holding frame width : 12 inch (305mm)

Once the additional holes were made, I cut the paddock spring into half to retain flexibility. Finally it was useful, perfect and solid.

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-ps1.jpg
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-ps2.jpg

Side Stand Extender

Next area of concern was about the small foot print of the side stand. Centre stand doesn't come with 310R, nor I know any brand making it as accessory. So, the option was Aliexpress. I happily searched and found this as perfect product, ordered one, waited for 25 days and there comes the problem :)

Name:  exten.png
Views: 26424
Size:  237.3 KB

This is designed for the stands that has spring arm at the centre of the stand. New design has the spring arm ending near the foot of the stand, which will not take any after market extender. Pics below to show the difference :

Old Design
Name:  oldstand.png
Views: 26558
Size:  258.7 KB

New Design
Name:  newstand.png
Views: 26544
Size:  442.6 KB

So, here is how the Aliexpress extender looks on my bike stand :
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-ext1.jpg
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-ext2.jpg

Their return/refund process is complicated. So, I am thinking of visiting my lathe work friend to see what he can contribute. Other option is to visit a welder and shorten the spring arm of the stand

Someone might argue that the spring arm extender is for easy folding by your foot. Yes, thats exactly the purpose of this design, but we will not lose that purpose by shortening it by 1 inch !!

Smaller things purchased for a comfortable riding experience (Amazon India) :

1. Water Proof Two Wheeler Cover for Yamaha FZ-S Blue (Rs.599)
You may wonder why Yamaha cover, yes, its the perfect fit on 310 R. It comes really handy when bike remains idle for many days when we are out of station.
Name:  cover.png
Views: 25919
Size:  210.7 KB

2. Skycandle Premium Bike Bungee Cargo Net - X-Thick Cord - 6 Hooks (Rs.219). It holds a full face helmet, medium size packages etc.
Name:  cargonet.png
Views: 25972
Size:  212.9 KB

3. B'TWIN 700 MOUNTAIN BIKE CYCLING GLOVES - BLACK (Rs.1792)
Perfect for city rides when I dont need to worry about speeds exceeding 60-80.
Name:  btwin.png
Views: 26060
Size:  184.4 KB

4. Vatsas Waterproof, Unbreakable and Universal Silicone Mobile Phone Holder (Rs.625) This is one of the best, flexible holder, easy to fit and remove.
Name:  phonehold.png
Views: 25807
Size:  182.9 KB

5. Autofy 4 Digits Universal Multi Purpose Steel Cable - Black and Orange (Rs.335) Helmet lock or even wheel lock when required.
Name:  lock.png
Views: 25889
Size:  345.7 KB

6. To be Added : Osram H4 Laser Night Breaker (60/55W, 12V) (Rs.968) Osram is considered as an upgrade although wattage remain same as stock. Its rated to be much higher throw of light at 3700 lumens (whiter than stock)
Name:  osram.png
Views: 26041
Size:  497.7 KB

When you think about what other riders are adding, there is a long list of things in potential, no end to it !!

1. Rear wheel hugger
2. Dual Horn
3. Radiator Grill
4. Engine Protector
5. Sliders
6. Crash Guards
7. Rear luggage box
8. LED aux lights
9. Adjustable clutch levers
10. Wheel reflective stickers
11. Broader foot pegs
12. Fuel tank side pads
13. Fuel tank storage bag
14. Hand Guards
15. Windshield
16. Helmet Bluetooth gear
17. GoPro camera for Helmet
18. Riding Pant
19. Riding Boot
20. Akrapovic Exhaust

I don't see myself going through all these. Its an embarrassment when the service centre doesn't recognize their brand when it goes for periodical services lol:

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Firstly congratulations on acquiring the bike, it looks beautiful in this colour haven't seen one in this colour on the road yet.

Nice presise review. I guess a first on Teamp-Bhp. Do keep us updated periodically on the happenings with your bike.

Between i also stay in Yelahanka, let's catch up sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4551781)
Also mine is the only BMW bike registered under KA-50 (Yelahanka RTO). So, if you find me on the road anytime, dont hesitate to wave a Hi :)

Congrats shajufx! clap:

I believe I have seen you around - haven't noticed the registration, but I do live nearby and noticed a red 310R recently in the area because till date I have seen only the other popular white and blue livery. Surely will wave the next time around. :D

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for your service experiences with Tusker Motorrad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebat (Post 4552473)
....i also stay in Yelahanka, let's catch up sometime.

Thank you, will definitely catch up on weekends :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4552475)
....noticed a red 310R recently in the area because till date I have seen only the other popular white and blue livery. .....keeping an eye on this thread for your service experiences with Tusker Motorrad.

Thank you. Give me some clue on how to spot you eg.Orange hair, half meter beard, extra large beer belly, 7 foot height etc. I noticed couple of Ninjas moved around me checking the bike, may be the Red is causing the attention. Its pretty bright during the day.

Fingers crossed on the service part, mine will go for its 1st service in March itself, considering how I am eager to ride more distance each day. Frankly, my X1 is covered and kept for a month now, the soul of that engine might be wondering "where is my owner gone" !!! :D

Here is my number (temporary printing at home, until I find someone who can make it on the metal) :
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-bikenumber.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4552485)

Here is my number (temporary printing at home, until I find someone who can make it on the metal) :
Attachment 1853628

Nice review on the 310R, please do keep updating regularly. For the metal numberplates you can try Orbiz Automotive, they make good ones.

Congrats on the bike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4552485)

Thank you. Give me some clue on how to spot you eg.Orange hair, half meter beard, extra large beer belly, 7 foot height etc.

Wow, spot on. He is actually all of the above. :D

Haha. Congratulations on your new ride. I could identify your feelings myself. It's a child like hesitation with glee on your first bike, well knowing that you can do it but it's so new fast and expensive. Had fun reading your thoughts. Was in the same boat when I bought my first bike a Bullet at the age of 34.

Looks like you were holding shopping just for this bike but those are good products you got. Happy riding

Congratulations shajufx! I think the BMW 310R will be a perfect bike for the requirements you listed. Can you also share your presales and sales experience with the BMW showroom? Being a BMW X1 owner, did you feel that helped improve the overall experience and the way they interacted with you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4552261)
3. B'TWIN 700 MOUNTAIN BIKE CYCLING GLOVES - BLACK (Rs.1792)
Perfect for city rides when I dont need to worry about speeds exceeding 60-80.
I don't see myself going through all these.

My suggestion is please dont use this for city riding. Or any riding for that matter. At falls in low speed riding, the first point of contact with the road is your hands. These cycling gloves will offer little to no protection at all and you will regret not wearing the Aspida gloves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4552734)
....Can you also share your presales and sales experience with the BMW showroom? Being a BMW X1 owner, did you feel that helped improve the overall experience and the way they interacted with you?.....My suggestion is please dont use this for city riding. Or any riding for that matter....

Thanks Buddy. Being an X1 owner had nothing to do here as Motorrad dealership is run by Tusker and Cars are under Navnit Motors in Bangalore. Both are very good in their own respective machines and treat visitors with respect and importance.

I had already done very detailed reading on the bike including watching every video available online from various countries. The only thing required for me as a reassuring act was to sit on it, get photographed and evaluate my look to take the final call. I didn't even want a test ride, I wouldn't have enjoyed it within the city traffic anyway.

So final decision making part was all in the look. I went to the dealership, met Alwin, sat on the bike, he took my photos, I reviewed it just to make sure my body is in proportion with the bike. Swiped my card, got the receipt, enjoyed a Cappuccino and I was off home. Hardly 30 minutes.

Bike was ready within a week. Overall experience of the entire sales process was excellent. Only negative was the RTO agents work for permanent number. I am sure they are working on improving that part. Hope that answers your post :)

About the Btwin gloves, I use it only for low speed areas near home. Something better than bare hands type. ASPIDA takes sometime to get used to.

A Solo Ride to Chikkaballapur, Crossing 500 kms on ODO and Rim Stickers
An early morning solo ride was pending right from the delivery day, it was postponed only due to the waiting for its RTO number plate. Today it was a pleasant weather to try that. Starting from home at 6.30am, heading towards Chikkaballapur was the right decision without much worry about traffic nor twisty narrow roads.

Bike easily crossed 120 kmph under 6000 RPM and there was no strain felt on the engine. Only reason to stay under 100 kmph was unexpected highway crossing by villagers and tractors ignoring the highway traffic 100%. Probably a highway is not yet registered into their brain !

Few photos to go with the story :

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-rea.jpg

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-rsid.jpg

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-helglo.jpg

Crossing the 500 barrier in the running-in period. Another 500 to 1st Service

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-odo1.jpg

As a reward to the bike, I decided to put some reflective red stickers for the rims (Rs.250) :D

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-strip.jpg

The Journey continues.....

Congrats on getting a new bike.
Great choice of RED.
As I see, the review is silent with respect to vibrations. Does that mean there is no issue of vibrations? Or is it because you are yet to cross the 100 mark!?
Because most of the bikes are reported with that issue above 100 mark. So can you please throw some light on it.
Happy miles ahead. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4552747)
Thanks Buddy. Being an X1 owner had nothing to do here as Motorrad dealership is run by Tusker and Cars are under Navnit Motors in Bangalore. Both are very good in their own respective machines and treat visitors with respect and importance.

One of the reasons I asked was that when I went to the same BMW showroom a few years ago while returning from a ride, the sales advisor was indifferent and disappeared after some time. While this was going on, a gentleman with his family, stepped out of their Merc and into the showroom and the other sales people were literally tripping over themselves to roll out the red carpet and show them the bikes clap:.

That said, in later months, a different sales advisor from BMW (I believe his name is John) got in touch with me and was following up with me very patiently and politely. I never got round to visiting the showroom again though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 4552747)
About the Btwin gloves, I use it only for low speed areas near home. Something better than bare hands type. ASPIDA takes sometime to get used to.

The gloves, like most riding gear, just need some breaking in which will happen only through usage. Maybe try wearing them around the house. Once you get used to riding with gloves, you will never be able to ride without them!