Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th March 2019, 18:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding

I guess he only wore the gloves and a jackets because that's the only thing visible on the screen (When he Vlogs) I am very sure he never expected anyone would see his flip-flops.

This is a very good lesson not to trust any aftermarket brand just like that. This guy is very very lucky to be alive.
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 20:57   #32
BHPian

This is also a good example of why one must be careful when diving into mods and custom bikes, especially in India where there are no regulations or certification and these parts are built primarily to show off, rather than to function.

The reason things are this way are 1) there are no regulations to meet, and no consequences for manufacturing and selling really crappy parts that can fail and endanger the rider's health / life and 2) the majority of customers (riders) also don't care about the safety or manufacturer's reputation when purchasing mods, they just want the wow bling factor to impress people with.

Which is fine if your bike is just for show, but actually riding that contraption after you've modified it to look bad-ass is a whole different scenario.

For some reason, Royal Enfield owners are especially susceptible to this phenomenon, they're easily the most commonly modified / customized brand of bike in India.

Imagine how severe this crash would have been if this rider was going at typical highway speeds! Poor dude is quite lucky. He does look like he injured his leg in the video.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 13:22   #33
BHPian

With all due respects to all the comments in this thread, Pardon my ignorance and difference of Opinion,

1. How did we conclude that this is a after market alloy? This is no where visible in the video.

2, Are we saying it WONT happen on a OEM Alloy supplied by Enfield? After knowing the quality issues faced by Enfield bikes, how can we conclude that if it was OEM Supplied alloy, he would have escaped?

Adding an evidence on the usage of alloy wheels, see here (The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!) to know how many of us have installed after market Alloys on our cars. The no. of pages have gone beyond 365.

In my view, bashing the rider and the entire alloy wheel Industry by looking at one video is NOT fair.

PS: I am just putting the points from another perspective. I am not concluding anything with this Post.

Last edited by gkveda : 19th March 2019 at 13:32.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 08:48   #34
Team-BHP Support

Royal Enfield introduces alloy wheel options for Classic 350, Classic 500, Thunderbird 350 and Thunderbird 500 priced at Rs 10,000; available for new and existing owners.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...s-10000-412003
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 09:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This video has gone viral in biking groups, and good indeed - as I've seen many Enfields recently wearing such aftermarket alloys. Hope they switch back to OE spoke wheels or stick to reputed brands instead!
RE quality is iffy at best. Forget the aftermarket alloys. The original rear spoke wheel of the TB 350 a neighbor of mine was riding from Madurai to Chennai broke recently. Not a catastrophic failure like this, but a few spokes broke off, went inside and tore the tube. He was stranded in the middle of nowhere till help arrived. The bike was less than one year old.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 10:12   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Royal Enfield introduces alloy wheel options for Classic 350, Classic 500, Thunderbird 350 and Thunderbird 500 priced at Rs 10,000; available for new and existing owners.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...s-10000-412003
AFAIK, the alloys were only offered on Thunderbird X series of bikes. Do you think the video in the OP is what triggered when to respond to this case by introducing official set of alloys? It's a good thing that they did TBH. What remains to be seen is how many owners are actually going to opt for these alloys.
Bismaya is offline   Reply With Quote