Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2019, 01:24   #1
BANNED

Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding

The video is self explanatory;

Here's the article on RushLane

I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops. But still, does bring Sir Darwin to mind.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 02:10   #2
BHPian

re: Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops. But still, does bring Sir Darwin to mind.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
My first reaction was also, why flip-flops with all other safety measures?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th March 2019 at 08:36. Reason: Removed URL from quoted post for readability. Thanks
sushantr5 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 02:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

This video has gone viral in biking groups, and good indeed - as I've seen many Enfields recently wearing such aftermarket alloys. Hope they switch back to OE spoke wheels or stick to reputed brands instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops.
Simple explanation that comes to mind - Action cam footage uploaded to Youtube only captures jacket and gloves, not slippers!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 06:42   #4
BHPian

Old Hindi Saying - Mehenga roye ek baar, Sastaa roye baar baar (Buy a costly item and cry once rather than buying cheaper crap and cry every time you have to get it repaired.)

This rider should thank his lucky stars that there was no heavy vehicle behind him or he would either not be here or gotten into a serious injury.
Ithaca is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 08:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That wheel probably saw it's kumbh mela twin hanging from that cycle tyres repair thing where the rider is taking support. Pretty sure by the way the wheel broke, that's what was used.
What I wear my bike wears...
For the guy, So many jokes, so little empathy.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 08:59   #6
BHPian

Amazing how the fascination to have something fancy from aftermarket makes some people forget that most OEM parts on a bike/car come from years of R&D for reliability, structural rigidity, etc.

It is the same reason that I keep my cars/bikes as stock as possible, no matter how enticing that alloy/turbo upgrade/wrap/ICE upgrade, etc. looks.

Last edited by SDP : 9th March 2019 at 23:33. Reason: Typo
octane1002 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 09:40   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2019 at 08:24.
Bismaya is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2019, 13:58   #8
BHPian

The question still is why does RE not offer alloys? They gave the reasoning for the twins that it would push the cost beyond 3lakh. But then why not atleast a higher priced variant with alloys?

The cost for alloys would be around 10k. Would a person buying a bike for 3 lakh really reconsider for a consideration of 10k?
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The question still is why does RE not offer alloys? They gave the reasoning for the twins that it would push the cost beyond 3lakh. But then why not atleast a higher priced variant with alloys?

The cost for alloys would be around 10k. Would a person buying a bike for 3 lakh really reconsider for a consideration of 10k?
RE do offer alloys in their Thunderbird X series bikes
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 20:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post

And, interestingly in the Triumph series that includes the Bonnevilles and Street Twins, the alloy wheeled ones are priced lower than the spoked ones
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 21:13   #11
BHPian

The rider, when he was a child, used to watch the following advt:

Marji hai aapki, aakhir sar hai aapka. So, he concluded that his head was his own but not his legs. So, he chose not to protect the legs.
NH08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 23:25   #12
BHPian

Re: Shady Aftermarket Wheels on Royal Enfield goes for a TOSS, Rider follows Suit!

I don't know why would someone try aftermarket wheels on such a heavy bike and ride it in India. I hope he recovers quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
My first reaction was also, why flip-flops with all other safety measures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Simple explanation that comes to mind - Action cam footage uploaded to Youtube only captures jacket and gloves, not slippers!

I don't think he is in complete gear. Just some showoff gloves which I see most people wearing in India. But no riding jacket as I can see his hands. The basic protection for any motorcycle rider is a full sleeve shirt at least as per the motorcycle safety foundation course here in US.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2019 at 08:26. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2019, 23:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This incident reminds me of failure of a flowery design alloy wheel on an XUV500 when the car hit a median.

I've never advocated use of aftermarket alloys unless they're from known brands or carry the JWL stamp.

Last edited by vigsom : 10th March 2019 at 00:04.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 10:55   #14
BHPian

I bought my 2009 Suzuki GS150R (150kgs and not as heavy as an RE though) when I was in college. I used to ride it wearing sandals and flip-flops very casually.

On one fortunate day I was wearing a pair of sports shoes, and I happened to have crashed into a moped and fell on the ground. The impact was such that the toe part of my shoe got completely tore off, and my right foot escaped with just some minor bruises. Learnt a lesson, and I have not ridden without shoes since then.

Moral of the story: aftermarket alloys or not, riding gear (helmet, shoes, gloves, etc.,) should never be ignored and omitted.
vikred is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 11:20   #15
BHPian

Well, a similar incident was the only reason that kept me off from fitting alloys on my TBTS. During my First Free service, wayback in 2012, I noticed a CL350 in similar condition at the service centre. Since then I didnt dare to even think of fitting alloys.
Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks