Team-BHP - Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/207399-video-enfield-bullet-aftermarket-alloys-disintegrate-while-riding.html)

The video is self explanatory;

Royal Enfield biker falls - Aftermarket alloys break

Here's the article on RushLane

I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops. But still, does bring Sir Darwin to mind. :Frustrati

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4556254)

I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops. But still, does bring Sir Darwin to mind. :Frustrati

Ride Safe,
A.P.

My first reaction was also, why flip-flops with all other safety measures?

This video has gone viral in biking groups, and good indeed - as I've seen many Enfields recently wearing such aftermarket alloys. Hope they switch back to OE spoke wheels or stick to reputed brands instead!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4556254)
I'm none to judge the rider who was wearing gloves and had an action camera recording while riding with flip-flops.

Simple explanation that comes to mind - Action cam footage uploaded to Youtube only captures jacket and gloves, not slippers! :Frustrati

Old Hindi Saying - Mehenga roye ek baar, Sastaa roye baar baar (Buy a costly item and cry once rather than buying cheaper crap and cry every time you have to get it repaired.)

This rider should thank his lucky stars that there was no heavy vehicle behind him or he would either not be here or gotten into a serious injury.

That wheel probably saw it's kumbh mela twin hanging from that cycle tyres repair thing where the rider is taking support. Pretty sure by the way the wheel broke, that's what was used.
What I wear my bike wears...
For the guy, So many jokes, so little empathy. :)

Amazing how the fascination to have something fancy from aftermarket makes some people forget that most OEM parts on a bike/car come from years of R&D for reliability, structural rigidity, etc.

It is the same reason that I keep my cars/bikes as stock as possible, no matter how enticing that alloy/turbo upgrade/wrap/ICE upgrade, etc. looks.

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

The question still is why does RE not offer alloys? They gave the reasoning for the twins that it would push the cost beyond 3lakh. But then why not atleast a higher priced variant with alloys?

The cost for alloys would be around 10k. Would a person buying a bike for 3 lakh really reconsider for a consideration of 10k?

Quote:

Originally Posted by timuseravan (Post 4556394)
The question still is why does RE not offer alloys? They gave the reasoning for the twins that it would push the cost beyond 3lakh. But then why not atleast a higher priced variant with alloys?

The cost for alloys would be around 10k. Would a person buying a bike for 3 lakh really reconsider for a consideration of 10k?

RE do offer alloys in their Thunderbird X series bikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by timuseravan (Post 4556394)

And, interestingly in the Triumph series that includes the Bonnevilles and Street Twins, the alloy wheeled ones are priced lower than the spoked ones

The rider, when he was a child, used to watch the following advt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPOb5ZdMj4

Marji hai aapki, aakhir sar hai aapka. So, he concluded that his head was his own but not his legs. So, he chose not to protect the legs.

I don't know why would someone try aftermarket wheels on such a heavy bike and ride it in India. I hope he recovers quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushantr5 (Post 4556257)
My first reaction was also, why flip-flops with all other safety measures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4556258)
Simple explanation that comes to mind - Action cam footage uploaded to Youtube only captures jacket and gloves, not slippers! :Frustrati

I don't think he is in complete gear. Just some showoff gloves which I see most people wearing in India. But no riding jacket as I can see his hands. The basic protection for any motorcycle rider is a full sleeve shirt at least as per the motorcycle safety foundation course here in US.

This incident reminds me of failure of a flowery design alloy wheel on an XUV500 when the car hit a median.

I've never advocated use of aftermarket alloys unless they're from known brands or carry the JWL stamp.

I bought my 2009 Suzuki GS150R (150kgs and not as heavy as an RE though) when I was in college. I used to ride it wearing sandals and flip-flops very casually.

On one fortunate day I was wearing a pair of sports shoes, and I happened to have crashed into a moped and fell on the ground. The impact was such that the toe part of my shoe got completely tore off, and my right foot escaped with just some minor bruises. Learnt a lesson, and I have not ridden without shoes since then.

Moral of the story: aftermarket alloys or not, riding gear (helmet, shoes, gloves, etc.,) should never be ignored and omitted.

:Frustrati Well, a similar incident was the only reason that kept me off from fitting alloys on my TBTS. During my First Free service, wayback in 2012, I noticed a CL350 in similar condition at the service centre. Since then I didnt dare to even think of fitting alloys.