Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 17:49   #151
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Nicely detailed ownership thread. Nice updates as well.

Which tank pad are you using?
Also that side panel bag.. how is it? Is it firmly fixed on to the panel?
Any issues of it flying off when you're riding at high speeds?
Thanks!
Its a magnetic tank bag from Guardian Gears for Rs1700. It has 4 magnets to hold on to the tank. I find it very useful to carry most of my riding stuff- wallet, phone, power bank, sanitizer, 500ml water can, riding gloves, gopro accessories.

Side panel leather bag is from Raw and Rugged leather for Rs1400. It is small, compact, looks rudimentary and goes well on the bike. It has elastic straps at the back to hold on to the side panel. The straps are pretty strong and offers a tight fit and feels rock solid. I usually carry a helmet cable lock, wallet and a sanitizer pack which takes up most of the space inside.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210406-16.52.23.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210406-16.52.23-1.jpeg
Torino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:59   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Its a magnetic tank bag

Side panel leather bag
Do you mind to share the pic with bag fitted on to bike?
Old 10th April 2021, 10:23   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
Do you mind to share the pic with bag fitted on to bike?
Here you go.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210410-09.21.17-1.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210410-09.21.17-3.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210410-09.21.17-4.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210410-09.21.17-6.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210410-09.21.17-5.jpeg
Torino is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 01:42   #154
BHPian

Quote:

Side panel leather bag is from Raw and Rugged leather for Rs1400. It is small, compact, looks rudimentary and goes well on the bike. It has elastic straps at the back to hold on to the side panel. The straps are pretty strong and offers a tight fit and feels rock solid. I usually carry a helmet cable lock, wallet and a sanitizer pack which takes up most of the space inside.
Thanks for the info. Ordered and got mine for the GT. Also saw their leather tank pads. Fit and finish is top notch.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-pxl_20210410_124521056.jpg  

MadRasTan4986 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:05   #155
BHPian

As much as I like the Interceptor, its weight and seat height were the two things that kept doing rounds at the back of my head every now and then. I’m 5.7ft and can only tip toe on both feet, a shorter seat height will allow for a better leverage while inching through traffic, during parking and reversing. As I was contemplating on modifying the seat which I did’t really wanted to and end up spoiling the seat, I came across the suspension raising & lowering kit from Way2Speed. The lowering kit is a one inch shorter lower shaft for the rear shock absorber, made from machined Aluminium. Looked like a nice proposition while looking bone stock at the same time. A pair of these costed Rs2700, placed the order sometime back in May this year and it’s been lying around with me ever since and only last week I was able to find a shock absorber mechanic close to my place and got it fixed. Since it is designed specifically for the RE650 twins I didn’t have to worry about fitment or anything, it’s a simple bolt-on component but you need a proper shock absorber mechanic with dedicated tools to get it fixed. The mechanic completed the installation and did a great job at that and got me going in around 40 minutes. I could have simply shaved few layers off the seat to reduce the ride height and save more than half of the cost but I was a bit apprehensive about the thinner cushioning and looks and more importantly it’s not easily reversible.

Initial impressions:
Visually it is hard to find any difference but the bike immediately felt lower when I tried to reach the rear grab rail to get the bike off the main stand. There is a notable difference in the ride height now allowing me to almost flat foot on both feet, great! Since the rear is now a bit squat, I could feel the difference in rider triangle with the handlebar reach is a wee bit closer, got used to it after few short rides. Also the foot pegs feels less intrusive now since I can place my feet wider away from them. Haven’t noticed any drop in ground clearance.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210728-20.50.28.jpeg
Before and after pic. Can see the difference in the wheel well.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210728-20.55.52.jpeg
The stock vs aftermarket Way2Speed shock absorber lower shaft.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210720-08.40.52-4.jpeg
The shock absorber mechanic at work.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210720-08.40.54-2.jpeg
The difference is hard to notice.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20210727-10.48.30-2.jpeg
Torino is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:02   #156
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initial impressions:
Visually it is hard to find any difference but the bike immediately felt lower when I tried to reach the rear grab rail to get the bike off the main stand. There is a notable difference in the ride height now allowing me to almost flat foot on both feet, great! Since the rear is now a bit squat, I could feel the difference in rider triangle with the handlebar reach is a wee bit closer, got used to it after few short rides. Also the foot pegs feels less intrusive now since I can place my feet wider away from them. Haven’t noticed any drop in ground clearance.
Doesn't it mess with the weight distribution of the bike? Sitting lower at the back would take the weight off the front wheel and change the handling to some extent.

I would follow-up such a mod with a similar reduction in the front end if the earlier feel/handling is what I want to replicate.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 17:18   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Initial impressions:
Did you also make any changes to the suspension setting? Is it on the stiffest setting or softest setting? Although the difference is not seen much, it's good to know the seat of the pants feeling has improved from what you tell me. Does the front end feel lighter? Handlebars being closer is a good thing. Considering the stock setting had a bit of a reach. Looking forward to hear more from your side on this new set up.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 18:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initial impressions:
I see from the pictures that you have set the pre-load at the highest setting. This also contributes to increase in ride height. Unless you always ride two up and heavy ones at that, I wouldn't imagine why you would want that pre-load. For most uses the softest setting or first pre-load should suffice. This would also bring down the ride height to an extent. Please check out these settings.
dinu2506 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:59   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Doesn't it mess with the weight distribution of the bike? Sitting lower at the back would take the weight off the front wheel and change the handling to some extent.
I would follow-up such a mod with a similar reduction in the front end if the earlier feel/handling is what I want to replicate.
Yes, this will most definitely shift more weight to the rear from the stock 48/52 weight distribution which the Interceptor comes from the factory. But I'm yet to find any difference in high speed handling since my riding so far has been confined to slow B-roads. I can say the handling during slow U-turns and wide curves at less than 50kmph doesn't make any noticeable difference. Will update once I take on faster roads with sweeping corners. I'm not lowering the front suspension for now due to two reasons. One is I don't want to loose ground clearance. Two is I'm not too obsessed with handling as long as it's manageable for my riding style, and if the handling is way off then I may switch to a heavier fork oil to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Did you also make any changes to the suspension setting? Is it on the stiffest setting or softest setting? Although the difference is not seen much, it's good to know the seat of the pants feeling has improved from what you tell me. Does the front end feel lighter? Handlebars being closer is a good thing. Considering the stock setting had a bit of a reach. Looking forward to hear more from your side on this new set up.
Didn't make any changes to the rear suspension and it is already set to the lowest (softest) setting. The handlebar doesn't feel lighter or may be ever so slightly to catch my attention. For now I'm enjoying the slightly laid back seating posture. Since my focus is towards slow speed rideability, I'll continue to experiment in this set up to find out what suits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I see from the pictures that you have set the pre-load at the highest setting. This also contributes to increase in ride height. Unless you always ride two up and heavy ones at that, I wouldn't imagine why you would want that pre-load. For most uses the softest setting or first pre-load should suffice. This would also bring down the ride height to an extent. Please check out these settings.
You have mistaken from the pictures, I should have posted clearer pics. The rear suspension is indeed in its lowest pre-load setting. In fact its the first thing I did as soon as I brought home the motorcycle on day 1 to suit my ergonomics.
Torino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:39   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have mistaken from the pictures, I should have posted clearer pics. The rear suspension is indeed in its lowest pre-load setting. In fact its the first thing I did as soon as I brought home the motorcycle on day 1 to suit my ergonomics.
Yes, you're right. My bad, got confused with the loading ring at the top

Last edited by dinu2506 : 2nd August 2021 at 20:42.
dinu2506 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:25   #161
BHPian

Quote:
I came across the suspension raising & lowering kit from Way2Speed. The lowering kit is a one inch shorter lower shaft for the rear shock absorber, made from machined Aluminium.
Great, thanks for sharing this here. I was actually looking for something like this. I am 5'4 and have to wear these boots with heels every time I have to take the inti out for a spin.

I just placed a pre-order, he said it may take 15-30 days. Eagerly waiting for it.

PS : Initially I had these heel inserts which I got for 300-400, available online, which increases my height by around 3 inches. It gives an instant confidence boost (It's a nightmare to walk by the way ). After reaching the destination, I used to remove the boots in the parking and take out the inserts & keep it in my tank bag or backpack whatever. It got tiresome after a while, so I don't use them nowadays as I am pretty comfortable with the handling & weight of the bike anyways. Just putting it out here, so other short riders like me may want to try this if they like.
Marias is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:41   #162
BHPian

@Torino How is your experience with the lowered suspension after 2-3 weeks? Any major issues you want to highlight? Would love to hear from you about this one.
Marias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
@Torino How is your experience with the lowered suspension after 2-3 weeks? Any major issues you want to highlight? Would love to hear from you about this one.
Yes, its been over three weeks now and riding the Interceptor with the lowered ride height has been a welcome experience. I've been taking the bike to the usual local stores and park at usual places to observe how much difference the new set up makes during reversing, U-turns etc. And I must say, the set up has made life a lot easier compared to the struggle which I used have at those situations. The difference is evident and it gives added confidence to balance the bike while doing parking maneuvers and during stop start traffic.

On the issues front, I managed to scrap the main stand on a unusually massive speed bump which I regularly encounter during my weekend short rides. So there is a slight loss in ground clearance which is obvious and evident with this kind of set up. For me the pros out weigh the cons by a huge margin considering my use case and purpose and therefore I have nothing to complain with the suspension lowering kit on my motorcycle.

Also did a 220km Sunday breakfast ride to Kanchanagiri hill in Ranipet district with fellow Interceptor riders. Got the Carbon Racing windshield back on in 10mins and the windblast was in-check as usual.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20210808_08363401.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-ydxj034201.jpeg
Torino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 07:45   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its been over three weeks now and riding the Interceptor with the lowered ride height has been a welcome experience.

On the issues front, I managed to scrap the main stand on a unusually massive speed bump which I regularly encounter during my weekend short rides. So there is a slight loss in ground clearance which is obvious and evident with this kind of set up.
Thanks Torino, exactly my thoughts. I got the lowering kit installed 2 weeks back. Did a Bangalore - Chikmaglur - Bangalore ride, and it was an amazing experience. This was basically a test ride for the new setup. Lowered suspension + angled risers from greasehouse customs.

The lowered height on the Interceptor 650 is a boon for short riders like myself (5'4 5'5). Planted feet gives a level of confidence which I have never experienced before.

While going to Chikmaglur, I was a bit careful about the handling. While I was able to do triple digit speeds on the highways, I was apprehensive on high speed cornering. That doubt was laid to rest while on my way back when I had more experience with the new setup. I didnt find any issue with cornering etc.

The one & only Con (according to me) is the lowered GC. I scraped one too many speed breakers. Just need to be careful over humps.

But as Torino says, the Pros far outweigh the Cons. I felt the same way personally.

Next stop is Alloys.. the search begins
Marias is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:46   #165
BHPian

Now I eagerly wait for mine to arrive, just paid way2speed yesterday Rs. 2900/-. I already have a shaved off seat it did help a bit, but not to the purpose, I am 5'5.5". Will keep everyone updated, thanks Torino for the real world review.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed