Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th May 2019, 16:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Speedometer malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
So the motorcycle has done just over 1730 kms and the speedometer stopped working properly.
The same thing happened with a BHPian's bike during a Bangalore meet. Speedo stopped working and upon checking we realised that the wire near the wheel sensor had come off! It was supposed to be held in place with a screw, only that RE assembly line had screwed it tight without the wire.

Small but irritating QC issues that they need to really work on.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 18:16   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

^^^
Lets hope that the ABS wires are tightened by some other assembly line people!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 21:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The same thing happened with a BHPian's bike during a Bangalore meet. Speedo stopped working and upon checking we realised that the wire near the wheel sensor had come off! It was supposed to be held in place with a screw, only that RE assembly line had screwed it tight without the wire.

Small but irritating QC issues that they need to really work on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Lets hope that the ABS wires are tightened by some other assembly line people!

Regards
Sutripta
Seriously, this kind of silly yet laughable QC errors bothers me than the mechanical and electrical issues usually associated with RE motorcycles. Being a first time Royal Enfield owner I am thoroughly impressed by the engine, handling and design but looking at these QC issues surprises me at a different level. Probably the blokes who assembled and QC checked were not trained properly or may be from the Bullet assembly line. sigh!
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 22:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The same thing happened with a BHPian's bike during a Bangalore meet. Small but irritating QC issues that they need to really work on.
This is what I found out about the speedo wire being loose. As per the E-city service staff, all bikes come with the speedo cable unscrewed. The reason they do this, as per them, is because they ride the bike to other branches from the main showroom and they want to limit the speedo reading to a minimum before delivery to the customer. So, if they have a bike at the main E-city showroom and they have to get the bike to their outlet in Koramangala, they ride the bike to the Koramangala showroom after removing the screw that attaches the speedo to the wheel. They are supposed to fix it back before delivery to the new owner. I guess they didn't do a good job of fitting it when I took the bike.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm not able to garner sufficient confidence in doing solo rides on my Lady Marmalade. With the Red Baron, I would just ride when ever I had the opportunity without thinking twice if the bike would take me safe or if I would have any mechanical issues. With this bike, I keep having the nagging feeling deep down that something is bound to go wrong. Maybe, it's because I've been reading up too much of all the quality issues on an RE, but I just can't seem to get over this feeling of doom.

Anyway, I'm planning on a solo ride to Hyderabad and back. Hopefully my fears don't come true and me and Lady Marmalade have an enjoyable, niggle free ride.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 22:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
This is what I found out about the speedo wire being loose. As per the E-city service staff, all bikes come with the speedo cable unscrewed. The reason they do this, as per them, is because they ride the bike to other branches from the main showroom and they want to limit the speedo reading to a minimum before delivery to the customer. So, if they have a bike at the main E-city showroom and they have to get the bike to their outlet in Koramangala, they ride the bike to the Koramangala showroom after removing the screw that attaches the speedo to the wheel. They are supposed to fix it back before delivery to the new owner. I guess they didn't do a good job of fitting it when I took the bike.
My God, this is the worst possible response any dealership can give a customer! Who is to say the bike won't be ridden by anyone else for whatever distance after with that cable still unscrewed?! And then delivered to you? What are we supposed to do next, check tyre tread wear? Unbelievable!

They are not allowed to tamper with that at all! When they deliver the bike, they deliver it with true odo reading only, or flat bed the thing over! There's a reason companies fool proof they odometer to ensure dealerships don't run a car or bike without the customer knowing what the facts are in numbers.

I would have masaccred the guy who gave me this bull on the spot. Man, you are easy to deal with.

If this is happening with all dealerships, it's a serious cause for concern.

What a can of worms.

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st May 2019 at 22:36.
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:05   #66
BHPian

This is why, as nice as the new RE 650 twins are, it will be a long time before I trust Royal Enfield again.

We all hear these stories about shoddy quality, bad workmanship, no attention to detail, mechanical issues, etc. from Royal Enfields, it's almost an expected stereotype. People who ride Enfields even claim this adds to the "charm" and "character" of the bike and whatnot.

But all that can be forgiven if it weren't for the attitude you invariably encounter at any Royal Enfield showroom (and even worse, at their service centers). They go on as though by selling you an Enfield, they're doing YOU this huge favor and blessing your life and that you should get on your knees and be forever grateful that you get to be a part of Royal Enfield's heritage and history and blah blah. Such insular arrogance and ego, I've never seen anywhere else.

I walked into a KTM showroom just to look around, and I was treated like some rock star that was about to buy the building out. I once went to a Bajaj showroom, and while they didn't go out of their way to sell me anything, they were also polite and professional. Heck, I once timidly stepped into a Harley-Davidson showroom, and the first thing I said to the approaching salesman was "I'm just looking, I'm not going to buy a Harley now or indeed anytime soon, just looking around, don't worry about me," and the dude laughed along and STILL offered me a test ride on the Street 750 and chatted with me, despite me making it clear I wasn't going to buy so much as a T-shirt. That experience shattered the stereotype of Harley guys having big egos or being snobs to anyone that doesn't ride a Harley.

But with Royal Enfield, WOW. You're legit made to feel like you're a homeless bum or street beggar that wandered into some golden palace asking for a glass of water. Even when you make it clear you're interested in putting a deposit down on a new bike right now. You're made to wait around for ages until a salesman deems it worthy his time to talk to you, then you don't really get clear answers to simple questions. Getting a test ride set up felt like being in a government office trying to get some vital paperwork done, I eventually wondered if I would have to take leave from office.

Then, when checking out the bikes on display, I noticed that the first Thunderbird had a crooked rear fender. The one next to it had a slightly crooked rear light and the indicators were not lining up with each other. The one next to that had a scratch on the tank. When I pointed this out, the salesman simply shrugged and couldn't be bothered explaining himself.

Despite all these warning signs I bought a Thunderbird 500, back when it was a brand new model. Right away the little display had the battery icon flashing. Not always, but every now and then. And then I noticed that the headlights would dim when I used the horn. I'm no mechanical expert or engineer here but I know that's not supposed to happen. I pointed this out to the mechanic on the first service, but the problem returned. On the second service I was told that this is nothing to worry about, and no arguing would get them to fix it. I was told Enfields are like that, they're all temperamental and weird and [insert the usual lecture about "charm" and "character" here].

Sure enough, on the day my fiancee and I went to the courts for a court marriage, the Thunderbird straight up died. Wouldn't start, wouldn't click, simply wouldn't respond to anything including kick-starts. My friend's mechanic (who had his own garage, not employed by Enfield) came from the other side of the city to come help me out, and took the bike back to his workshop. Bear in mind, my Thunderbird was just five months old at this point, still quite new, and had been absolutely babied and meticulously cared for as best as I could manage.

My friends who ride Enfields were all like "heh, yeah, that happens, that's what it's like to own an Enfield" and they said this with great pride, like it's some badge of honor to drop 2 lacs on a brand new bike that dies 5 months afterwards on a rather important day in your life.

Like, what is that about?! Can someone explain this mentality to me? I don't get it.

In the West, bikers and petrol-heads have a similar attitude about Italian cars and bikes, that they're beautiful and splendid to ride, but that they also break down a lot and can be wildly unpredictable. But the saving grace there is that when they DO run properly, the performance is exhilarating and incomparable. What's Royal Enfield's excuse? A 500cc bike that can just barely manage highway speeds for a month, and then the rest of the time you'll be playing whac-a-mole solving one mechanical issue only for two new ones to pop up the next day, for the rest of your life (or until you come to your senses and sell the money-pit).

The new 650 twins look and apparently are pretty amazing machines. I've heard them compared to the likes of Triumph, which is nothing to sniff at. And the price point is unbeatable, too. While they're not perfect, the reports of mechanical issues so far are relatively tame by RE standards.

But despite all this, at the end of the day you'll still be treated like a pauper in a palace when you deal with Royal Enfield salesmen and mechanics, like you're trapped in some government office waiting in long lines trying to get paperwork done by rude and indifferent clerks. I experienced that for two years with RE, and was even one of those guys that defended the brand to friends and family, much like a battered spouse making excuses for why their partner gave them yet another black eye.

Basically, the best part about owning an Enfield is when you're thinking about buying one and ogling them online or through showroom glass. It's all downhill after that, except going downhill usually implies speed and fun. The 650s are lovely and mark a whole new era in Enfield's history, but it sounds like the experience of dealing with RE remains unchanged.
marcussantiago is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Snehal, as a Royal Enfield owner for the past 4 and half years, what I have seen in Bangalore and Cochin dealerships is that Royal Enfield has dedicated trucks that are used to transport brand new bikes to the showrooms / service centres where the PDI is done and then the bikes are handed over to the owners at the time of delivery. I have seen this several times in Bangalore and spoken to the service advisors on this as well. I happened to witness these similar trucks being used when the 650s were launched and the bikes were brought to the showroom, here in Cochin.

I really doubt that the dealerships will take the risk of riding the bikes without insurance (prior to delivery) to other showrooms. Also in one go, each showroom gets several bikes so it doesnt make sense to send them one by one to other showrooms in the city. Also Royal Enfield must be dispatching the bikes by showroom and will certainly come to know if other dealers are conducting the actual deliveries when the bikes havent been dispatched to them.

I suspect that the taking bikes to other showrooms might be extreme one off situations where a potential buyer might have backed off from his booking and no other buyers wanted that particular colour and hence it made sense to move the bike to another dealership where the bike can easily be picked up by customers.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 13:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Like, what is that about?! Can someone explain this mentality to me? I don't get it.
Let me try. On more than one occasion, i have strongly felt that Royal Enfield bikes have a sense and act accordingly. When i was riding my C5 to BAJAJ showroom for test riding the 390 duke in 2013, the bike threw a lot of tantrums on the way. As expected, i was blown by the 390 test ride and on the way back to home, the C5 rode so beautifully that i was actually in two minds about the 390. In your case, as u were getting married, your TB500 could not stand the thought of another women in your life, hence stalled and refused to start.

Having been a big fan of RE to eventually ditching them and vowing never to buy them again to having booked the interceptor again, not much has improved with the dealership experience, atleast in Bangalore. The way the interceptor test rides were organised by RE themselves with complementary breakfast, a polaroid photo printed and framed, long test rides, i was delighted and pleasantly surprised with the way RE the company was conducting. Dealer experience brought all the good thoughts crashing down. RE seems to be on right path with first himalayan and now the 650 twins. Teething issues will always be there with new launches, but its imp to acknowledge and fix them. Its the dealer experience which they need to tidy up.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 00:38   #69
BHPian

Hey guys. The bike is nearing 3000 kms and will get the engine oil changed next week to get rid of the run-in oil. The owner's manual recommends TOTAL ELF MOTO 4 TECH SAE 10W50 API SL JASO MA2 SYNTHETIC. After checking with some two wheeler spares shop and Amazon I've shortlisted these five brands based on the cost and the recommended grade and fully synthetic. The only technical difference I can find among these five oil brands is that the Total ELF (recommended oil) is API SL category and all others are API SN category, should this be a cause of concern? My understanding is that SN is superior to the older SL so either of them should be ok, correct me if I am wrong. Among these I have used Motul and Castrol in my previous motorcycles and have no complaints on them. Now I am trying to choose between Motul, ELF and Veedol. Has anyone tried Repsol?

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-10w50.jpg
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 08:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys. The bike is nearing 3000 kms and will get the engine oil changed next week to get rid of the run-in oil. The owner's manual recommends TOTAL ELF MOTO 4 TECH SAE 10W50 API SL JASO MA2 SYNTHETIC. After checking with some two wheeler spares shop and Amazon I've shortlisted these five brands based on the cost and the recommended grade and fully synthetic. The only technical difference I can find among these five oil brands is that the Total ELF (recommended oil) is API SL category and all others are API SN category, should this be a cause of concern? My understanding is that SN is superior to the older SL so either of them should be ok, correct me if I am wrong. Among these I have used Motul and Castrol in my previous motorcycles and have no complaints on them. Now I am trying to choose between Motul, ELF and Veedol. Has anyone tried Repsol?

Attachment 1880841
Repsol is still relatively new to the market in India and doesn't have a great presence in stores or through online retailers. They are faithfully advertising in some print automobile magazines though. I had written to them a few weeks ago enquiring about availability but they haven't got back to me. I doubt there is much real world feedback on their oils in Indian conditions. Over on Xbhp, I saw some mentions of Dominar owners being happy with the Repsol engine oils and changing it every 5,000 kms.

Assuming it meets all the criteria listed (I dont know about SL / SN etc), I would pick the Motul 7100. Several riders I know have used it and are very happy with this Motul oil.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 18:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
What's Royal Enfield's excuse?
A pre-OHC Royal Enfiled, is preferred among enthusiasts due to its simplicity, ignoring the false hype created by illiterate Bulleteers and their opportunistic mechanics, it is a machine that just about anyone can work on.

Being a push-rod it has its limitations, the most obvious one being the sub 5k RPM ceiling. Now add a less informed motorcyclist to the equation and you'll see someone who'd be pushing the motorcycle way more than actually riding it.

Now when the UCE was brought about it did bring a lot of innovation on paper but overall part quality plummeted for which the management is solely to blame, and this is made quite obvious when your Grandpa's CI can haul more miles than your UCE can before throwing a rod or sorts.

Considering all things a Push-rod RE still has its charm, in fact it is timeless, provided RE is willing to pull their pants up and resolve recurring QC concerns, if not things would remain the same and another hapless first-timer would fall into the RE honeypot going by poetic summaries floating around the internet ejaculating emotion that has absolutely nothing to do with the original intent of a motorcycle i.e Get Person X from Point A to Point B.

Quote:
My understanding is that SN is superior to the older SL so either of them should be ok, correct me if I am wrong.
Never ask for oil recommendations on an online forum.

As we have people who run purely on Motul 300v which isn't even API certified to be used for extended wet clutch operation for up to 5k+ km's drain interval's and go ga-ga about its performance. Not to sound rhetoric but on the other end there are guys like myself who run API CI4 rated oils on their motorcycles and change at shorter 1.5~2k intervals.

Basically the manufacturer knows best, period.

There is way too much hoopla floating around, especially since oil manufacturers are winging the 'Synthetic' label a tad too much, a bit of research and you'll get to know about different classes of synthetic oils, but I won't be getting into that.

Though do note that it is ideally not recommended to use a 'proper'(Group 4 or above IIRC) synthetic on an air-cooled motorcycle as it tends to burn up quite a lot.

As for API ratings, here goes;

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-chart.jpeg

Though SN is backward compatible up to SL it doesn't guarantee that a SN oil would be superior to a SL oil, especially since the newer ratings are more focused on emission control(read, not all components that protect the engine are good when it comes to emissions).

Hence the safest bet would be to stick with manufacturer recommendations until you've thoroughly researched on the same.

And irrespective of what oil you use, your motorcycle won't blow-up, impact if any would be on its longevity, read 30k+ km's on the odo at the least.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 1st June 2019 at 18:26.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 20:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Having been a big fan of RE to eventually ditching them and vowing never to buy them again to having booked the interceptor again, not much has improved with the dealership experience, atleast in Bangalore. The way the interceptor test rides were organised by RE themselves with complementary breakfast, a polaroid photo printed and framed, long test rides, i was delighted and pleasantly surprised with the way RE the company was conducting. Dealer experience brought all the good thoughts crashing down. RE seems to be on right path with first himalayan and now the 650 twins. Teething issues will always be there with new launches, but its imp to acknowledge and fix them. Its the dealer experience which they need to tidy up.
I was trying to get a friend of mine to take a second look at RE in terms of the 650 twins but he seemed reluctant. he recently sold his Desert Storm as it was giving him too much trouble and was unsuitable for his touring needs, the dealership experience is not good when it comes to after-sales, making them reliant on Enfield specialist mechanics, which as AP mentioned are very much after the money than fixing anything. Recently a friend of mine had a bit rough idle(rougher than normal) on his TBird 350, the specialist replaced the entire carb and the issue remains, search for another specialist continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Basically the manufacturer knows best, period.
That makes it just a few of us out here comrade. Lal Salam.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 22:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Repsol is still relatively new to the market in India and doesn't have a great presence in stores or through online retailers.
Assuming it meets all the criteria listed (I dont know about SL / SN etc), I would pick the Motul 7100. Several riders I know have used it and are very happy with this Motul oil.
Thanks Jericho. I think Repsol will have wide acceptance among enthusiasts of they are available easily. Motul 7100 will be my second choice if I couldn't get my hands on the ELF Moto 4 Tech. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
As for API ratings, here goes;
Attachment 1880946
Hence the safest bet would be to stick with manufacturer recommendations until you've thoroughly researched on the same.
Cheers,
A.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor
That makes it just a few of us out here comrade. Lal Salam.
Thanks AP. The chart is very useful and I agree ''manufacturer know the best", will try to get my hands on the SL rating oil to be on the safer side. I tried calling a bunch of two wheeler spares shops and none of them seem to have the ELF Moto 4 Tech and my search continues.
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I was trying to get a friend of mine to take a second look at RE in terms of the 650 twins but he seemed reluctant. he recently sold his Desert Storm as it was giving him too much trouble and was unsuitable for his touring needs, the dealership experience is not good when it comes to after-sales, making them reliant on Enfield specialist mechanics, which as AP mentioned are very much after the money than fixing anything. Recently a friend of mine had a bit rough idle(rougher than normal) on his TBird 350, the specialist replaced the entire carb and the issue remains, search for another specialist continues
Barring Himalayan, REs are over-hyped as good touring bikes. Prior to 2010, we hardly had any options above 225cc except REs, But there are loads of capable bikes including tourers out there these days. REs are best as leisure bikes. Recently there was case of a vlogger riding his interceptor 650 to gurudongmar lake in sikkim, going through all slush and ice and rocks from small landslides, and struggling with the bike. Interceptor or GT is good for relaxed weekend rides, and if one wants to ride to the challenging terrains of gurudongmar, there is purpose built himalayan to buy/rent.
SO yes, REs dont have a very strong case when it comes to reliability on tours. Your friend must be sour with the desert storm experience and hence reluctant to dive-in again. After my C5 experience, even i had decided never to buy another Enfield, but a test ride of the interceptor changed that. Mainly due to the fact that it was nothing like any of the other REs. Sofar, there haven't been too many quality issues reported on the 650 twins and thats a positive. Lets hope the reliability factor associated with REs improve with these modern classics.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Barring Himalayan, REs are over-hyped as good touring bikes. Prior to 2010, we hardly had any options above 225cc except REs, But there are loads of capable bikes including tourers out there these days. REs are best as leisure bikes. Recently there was case of a vlogger riding his interceptor 650 to gurudongmar lake in sikkim, going through all slush and ice and rocks from small landslides, and struggling with the bike. Interceptor or GT is good for relaxed weekend rides, and if one wants to ride to the challenging terrains of gurudongmar, there is purpose built himalayan to buy/rent.
SO yes, REs dont have a very strong case when it comes to reliability on tours. Your friend must be sour with the desert storm experience and hence reluctant to dive-in again. After my C5 experience, even i had decided never to buy another Enfield, but a test ride of the interceptor changed that. Mainly due to the fact that it was nothing like any of the other REs. Sofar, there haven't been too many quality issues reported on the 650 twins and thats a positive. Lets hope the reliability factor associated with REs improve with these modern classics.

Totally agree with this, people should realise that one bike cannot do everything and expecting that is a bit too much. Before getting the interceptor, I owned the himalayan for three months - yes three months. I sold it in January this year because my daily commute from Attibele through the highway wanted something that can easily do speeds of 80-90 constantly. Himalayan wasn't great at that, but when I took it through the dry river bed near my place I was blown away with the way it performed - flawless. Prior to himalayan I owned the desert storm, sold it just because of one reason - maintenance bills were running sky high for a bike with 56kms on the ODO, also there was no one in Bangalore who could properly understand my requirement and fix my issues. Buying interceptor was decision for long term, it can do my highway rides at decent speeds, it gives me the pleasure of riding a twin cylinder without burning my pocket to ashes also the make is top notch than anything from RE. I am more inclined to my duster for my long drives now and I am sure the 650 would take too much time to hit 50k mark on the ODO(or say even 30k). Hope it ages well.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote