Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2019, 14:16   #46
BHPian

Speedometer malfunction

So the motorcycle has done just over 1730 kms and the speedometer stopped working properly. On a fine evening the needle started to flicker and goes dead as seen in the video. Checked for any loose connection but the wiring and sensor seems to be intact, I'm guessing a faulty sensor or wiring issue, will visit the service center and get it fixed. Being a Royal Enfield I wasn't surprised and was expecting something to go wrong right from day one and I'm putting my trust on the 3-years/40,000kms warranty and 3-years free Road Side Assistance.

Apart from this the bike is fine and I've got used to the big bike feel and slow speed handling, now the bike feels even better to flick in traffic and quick directional changes. I've decided to change the engine oil at 2500 kms to get rid of the run-in oil and I'm trying to find out all the available options for 10W50. So far I can see Motul, Castrol and Elf. You guys got other options?

Torino is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 14:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speedometer malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
I've decided to change the engine oil at 2500 kms to get rid of the run-in oil and I'm trying to find out all the available options for 10W50. So far I can see Motul, Castrol and Elf. You guys got other options?
Would advise to stick to RE engine oil, they are very serious in that case. They can deny engine warranty.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Would advise to stick to RE engine oil, they are very serious in that case. They can deny engine warranty.
Thanks rakesh!. Then I think it's safer to go with ELF 10W50 which is recommended in the owner's manual.
Old 24th April 2019, 12:49   #49
BHPian

Dropped by the RE OMR service center yesterday and got the speedo issue fixed in 30 mins. The wire had loose connection under the console and they replaced the wire and the speedometer is back to normal. The Aluminum sump guard is still not in stock since I last checked a month ago.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-dsc_0057.jpg
Torino is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 16:14   #50
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

I am expecting my bike to be delivered by May first week, now there is a second thought in my mind about whether to go ahead with the purchase or go for a second hand honda. The service cost associated with the RE brand is something that my wife is also not happy about, can someone shed some light in here on what to expect on the maintenance costs involved with the bike on a long run.

I am a person who is proactive with vehicles and at times this had ended up with huge service costs, hence the question.
Old 26th April 2019, 16:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
what to expect on the maintenance costs involved with the bike on a long run. I am a person who is proactive with vehicles and at times this had ended up with huge service costs, hence the question.
Well, I think hardly any owner has crossed the 10,000kms mark and got the second service done so it is difficult to comment on the long term maintenance cost now. As you would already know the bike comes with 4 free services (at 500kms, 10,000kms, 20,000kms, 30,000kms) which ends at 36 months or 3 years of ownership. The first service cost for all owners was around Rs2700 which is for the engine oil and oil filter, the 2nd & 4th free service should cost around Rs3000 as it additionally includes air filter change. 3rd free service includes additional cost to previous service in the form of spark plugs, fuel filter and brake oil replacement, you can assume the total cost. Paid service starts from the 4th year of ownership and I have no idea if RE will charge labor cost at per hour basis like other big bike manufacturers or at standard cost. If I am not wrong, Kawasaki charges Rs 1500/hr for labor.
Torino is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 14:09   #52
BHPian

So the motorcycle crossed 2000 kms after a considerable time due to my limited usage pattern. Attended Royal Enfield's 'One Ride' event yesterday and it was a nice experience to see some 2000 odd RE motorcycles gather at one place. Got to see some Interceptors with all sorts of aftermarket accessories such as LED headlamps, Aux lights, side and top storage cases, modified seats, handle bars, windshields, Red Rooster exhausts, tyres etc and most owners are waiting for the alloy wheels from RE accessories. Rode along with the Red Roosters' and felt it sounds similar to stock exhausts at idle and 5X louder during hard acceleration.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_0803.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_0783.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_0788.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_0751.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_0753.jpg
Torino is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 19:20   #53
BHPian

Went for a early morning breakfast ride along the east coast road yesterday to Mudaliarkuppam which is 75 kms away from Chennai, covering a total trip distance of 150kms. The overall smooth roads meant the ride was nice and engaging, tried different cruising speeds in 6th gear, 80@3000 rpm, 100@4000 rpm, 120@5000 rpm and 140@6000 rpm and the motorcycle felt planted and sure footed apart form the prominent wind blast. After 2300 kms of ownership, I've got used to the initial hefty feel and heaviness of the motorcycle, now it feels nimble at speeds and confident at crawling pace and growing up on me faster than I thought.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_1084.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_1096.jpg
Torino is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:35   #54
BHPian

Apologies for being a nit-pick/spoilsport here, but anything more than 80kmph on a motorcycle in Indian roads is asking for trouble, irrespective of the road conditions !
shyamk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 12:29   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey @torino, excellent detailed ownership report. Had booked an Int650 back in January, delivery scheduled for a week from now (next lot) at the Adyar showroom. Would love to catch up sometime later with you and your friend (Orange bike owner) to get the understanding of the bike over the last few months.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 00:16   #56
BHPian

Torino, congratulations on the ride. I have just booked the interceptor, and now the wait begins. Meanwhile, few questions:

a) How do you find the performance of the headlight? Review videos seem to suggerst we need to change to LED headlamps soon - whats your impression?

b) What other accessories are you planning to get?
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hey @torino, excellent detailed ownership report. Had booked an Int650 back in January, delivery scheduled for a week from now (next lot) at the Adyar showroom. Would love to catch up sometime later with you and your friend (Orange bike owner) to get the understanding of the bike over the last few months.
Hi ninjatalli. Congrats on your Interceptor! Sure lets catch up, it should be interesting to discuss motorcycles and weekend short rides, let me know by PM. Are you getting any accessories installed before delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Torino, congratulations on the ride. I have just booked the interceptor, and now the wait begins. Meanwhile, few questions:

a) How do you find the performance of the headlight? Review videos seem to suggerst we need to change to LED headlamps soon - whats your impression?

b) What other accessories are you planning to get?
Hi anshuman_v. I feel the stock halogen headlight set up is sufficient as it lights up the road rather well in city and highway. Let me explain, in order to avoid traffic I take detour into bylanes which are usually poorly lit or lack of it and the headlight's spread is pretty good, no complaints. I was skeptical before my first highway run but was taken by surprise during pitch dark and low light conditions, the stock headlight provides pretty good visibility. A clear lens cover could improve the overall performance further. LED's visibility is not that good during rainy and wet road conditions compared to halogens, get a first hand experience with the LED set up before buying one.
Regarding accessories, for now I want to install the Aluminum sump guard and the compact engine guard, both of them are out of stock for a long time at the RE service center near my place.
Old 13th May 2019, 14:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I think hardly any owner has crossed the 10,000kms mark and got the second service done so it is difficult to comment on the long term maintenance cost now. As you would already know the bike comes with 4 free services (at 500kms, 10,000kms, 20,000kms, 30,000kms) which ends at 36 months or 3 years of ownership. The first service cost for all owners was around Rs2700 which is for the engine oil and oil filter, the 2nd & 4th free service should cost around Rs3000 as it additionally includes air filter change. 3rd free service includes additional cost to previous service in the form of spark plugs, fuel filter and brake oil replacement, you can assume the total cost. Paid service starts from the 4th year of ownership and I have no idea if RE will charge labor cost at per hour basis like other big bike manufacturers or at standard cost. If I am not wrong, Kawasaki charges Rs 1500/hr for labor.
I went ahead and got the delivery of the bike last week. It's a great machine, with its own set of cons and pros like any other thing in this world . Drove about a 100 kms by now. Me and my wife is happy about the decision.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 15:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ninjatalli. Congrats on your Interceptor! Sure lets catch up, it should be interesting to discuss motorcycles and weekend short rides, let me know by PM. Are you getting any accessories installed before delivery?
Great, will definitely catch up with you (and @aravind) once the delivery is done. As of now, planning on keeping the bike stock only. Will decide on accessories after I run-in the bike. Stocking up on other external accessories (mobile holder, etc)
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 16:16   #60
BHPian

Got new pair of number plates.

Replaced the stock number plates with new embossed number plates and frames. I was shocked to see the rear number plate cracked at my office parking lot, may be someone decided to use my bike as a brake while reversing, I am really not sure how it happened and it still remains a mystery. The stock rear number plate is made from plastic and it got bent and cracked, ordered a pair of embossed number plates with UK font and frames from orbiz.in for Rs 660, got the delivery in three days. This is my first time buying the number plates online and I chose orbiz based on the reviews in teambhp and cost. The plates and frames appear to be of good quality and finish.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-1.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-2.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-3.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-4.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-5.jpg
Torino is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks