Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: February 2019: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
RE really needs to do something to improve the value proposition of their 500cc bikes. Most are close to 2.5 lakhs on road and just 50k more will buy the far far superior twins.
+1 to this.
Plus with Jawa deliveries around the corner, the 350 is sure to take a hit on the numbers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I really doubt that the 650s are swaying the 500 buyers.
I believe they are; plus the sales guys are pushing really hard on buyers of 500 towards the 650 twins; I'm sure the sales target are much more bullish for the twins. At two completely different RE stores in Mumbai and Chennai, the sales guys at both places pushed hard for me to book the twins over the 500; even though I entered with a clear intention to book the 500 initially. I'm sure there's a good sized segment of customers who won't be swayed so easily like I did; but still that's gotta matter.

From 3k+ figures to ~500+ numbers, now that should be worrying for RE. They really need to do something on the cost of the 500; doesn't really make sense; and once booking times come down; it'll only make the situation more worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But the 500s have lost their image! 350 was the Enfield for everyone, and 500 was for the man who sought to be a level above them! No longer is the case with the 650 twins around!
Yup. Even during discussions with (biking) bhpians for advice, the common feedback I got is "YOLO - go for the 650s"!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd March 2019 at 15:31.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 17:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I believe they are; plus the sales guys are pushing really hard on buyers of 500 towards the 650 twins; I'm sure the sales target are much more bullish for the twins. At two completely different RE stores in Mumbai and Chennai, the sales guys at both places pushed hard for me to book the twins over the 500; even though I entered with a clear intention to book the 500 initially. I'm sure there's a good sized segment of customers who won't be swayed so easily like I did; but still that's gotta matter.

From 3k+ figures to ~500+ numbers, now that should be worrying for RE. They really need to do something on the cost of the 500; doesn't really make sense
Shouldn't the margins in the twins for RE be lower than 500? Am surprised to hear that sales guys pushing twins to even customers wanting the 500 cause I always thought twins would have lower margins. It's a matter of time before the prices of twins go up is what I feel. But the twins aren't making up for all the lower numbers of the 500 either so it's also the general slowdown in auto industry at play.

But the numbers for 500 sure would be worrying RE. In this age of easy finance and higher incomes, twins are definitely within reach for those who are considering the 500. And am sure the test ride on the Interceptor is only helping make the decision.
Old 26th April 2019, 18:26   #18
BHPian

Seems like a blood bath in sales of two wheelers during the month of March 2019, the major impact being the fall of Honda losing more than 45% both M-o-M and Y-o-Y. In fact, it has lost the second position to TVS and almost lost the 3rd position to Bajaj as well which sold just approx. 8K vehicles less than Honda.

RE is the other OEM to have a negative impact falling down to 7th position behind both Yamaha and Suzuki, owing to falling sales of Classic 350 range. However, the new RE 650 twins are on a roll selling 1,700 units in March 2019.

Most Viewed