Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which riding school do you think offers the best learning experience and the most value for money?
CSS - The California Superbike School (Chennai) 14 36.84%
RACR – Rajini Academy of Competitive Racing (Chennai) 9 23.68%
Apex Racing Academy (Coimbatore) 8 21.05%
T.W.O - Throttle Wide Open (Coimbatore) 15 39.47%
Atomic Motorsports Riding School (Coimbatore) 0 0%
Top Gun India Riding Academy (Mumbai) 9 23.68%
Honda Ten 10 (Bangalore I think, but not sure) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2019, 09:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Riding school session for Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
No experience here, but based on pure gut feel, i would just choose RACR, because its the only indian school owned and run by a professional racer focused on pure track racing training.

I also think most other schools seem to be running on advertising fumes (which is why they need your exorbitant fees).
Would totally disagree. All the schools mentioned above have multiple racers as instructors and demonstrators. Yes indeed national level guys.

Yes, RACR has Rajani Krishnan

But this alone cannot be considered for the criteria.

Even though I've attended with APEX, have heard lot of positives about CSS and would love to join with them on a track session.

BTW we have Varun (bhpian : narula123) here who is quite experienced in track days. He can give a better insight.

Last edited by Vasuki : 4th April 2019 at 09:48.
Vasuki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 13:40   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
BTW we have Varun (bhpian : narula123) here who is quite experienced in track days. He can give a better insight.
If you know Varun personally, why don’t you kindly request him to participate in this poll and then to outline his thoughts and suggestions in a post on this thread?
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 13:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
If you know Varun personally, why don’t you kindly request him to participate in this poll and then to outline his thoughts and suggestions in a post on this thread?
I've already PM'd him. I don't have his number, otherwise would've definitely contacted him.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I've already PM'd him. I don't have his number, otherwise would've definitely contacted him.
Got your summons and have appeared promptly Sir

My experience on the race-track is down to about two dozen trackdays with none of them spent in a competitive environment across Kari and MMRT. So I am much less experienced than most of the folks who are regulars at trackdays and hence kindly take my feedback with a pinch of salt.

I have ridden with both Indimotard and Apex and between the two I would recommend Apex for the advantage they have in they way feedback is imparted back to the students on their sessions. This is also the reason why majority of my friends have trained with Apex than any other school. The course content and drills are usually similar between track schools and to my mind the differentiators are two - Quality of coaches and Feedback mechanism. On both these parameters my experience with Apex has been stellar. (These ofcourse are strictly my opinions based on my experience with either school)

While I know the coaches, founders of several other schools listed above I have not ridden with them and will hence refrain from commenting about the quality of pedagogy. One fact which I have come to realise positively is that while most coaches have race experience under their belts it is not guaranteed that an exceptional racer will be an exceptional coach. So when deciding upon a school keep the marketing pitch a little out of the consideration set.

Regarding CSS, while i have not attended the school, I have had really really strong feedback that has come from friends who have attended it both in India and abroad. Apparently, their pedagogy and coaches are in a different league altogether. No wonder they charge a bomb for attendance vis-a-vis other schools. I can only verify the veracity of this if and when I attend them myself for possibly a refresher.

Now, with that out of the window lets discuss something more important.

I have seen several people who have gone to track schools (multiple ones in certain cases) and continue to make the basic mistakes because like any other education your track training is a perishable skill. It is extremely important to practice the art through open trackdays or possibly professional racing to ensure you not only practice and hone what was taught but possibly build up further on this. So please be under no assumption that you will be dragging knees after a level-1 training.

Secondly, be sure of why you want to attend a riding school. A level-1 training to my mind should be a MUST HAVE for anyone contemplating riding a motorcycle. It corrects your basics and makes you a safer rider on the streets as well. As you progress up the levels you get closer to honing your race craft and ofcourse that comes at a monetary cost. My suggestion would be to put in atleast 2 open trackday sessions between two levels so that you can practice what you learnt in the previous one before progressing to the next. Also do yourself a favour and learn on a smaller/manageable bike (i regret doing my Level 1 on the Ninja 650) so that you can focus on the drills and not on "how to survive when your front wheel is looking skywards". Additionally, see if you can get to attend in a month when the Tamil Nadu weather is nice (rare but it happens) so that your body is physically comfortable and you are not dehydrating extensively on the bike.

There, these were my two big cents. Sorry for the long post but Vasuki woke me from my slumber so had to do justice to it

Last edited by narula123 : 4th April 2019 at 16:37.
narula123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:26   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
My experience on the race-track is down to about two dozen trackdays with none of them spent in a competitive environment across Kari and MMRT. So I am much less experienced than most of the folks who are regulars at trackdays and hence kindly take my feedback with a pinch of salt.
Brilliant!! Thank you for taking the time. This is exactly the sort of messaging that we needed in this thread. I was thinking that I will do level 1 and then call it a day since I have zero interest in racing. But your journey makes me think that it’s going to be hard to quit once I have the bit between my teeth.

And I couldn’t concur more about the weather in TN. This is why I think that between November and January is the best time to choose a training session.

Last edited by ampere : 5th April 2019 at 07:19. Reason: trimmed quoted post
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 20:52   #36
BHPian

The Twins at CSS

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...ss-2019-411718
thumpmeister is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 21:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to put in atleast 2 open trackday sessions between two levels so that you can practice what you learnt in the previous one before progressing to the next. Also do yourself a favour and learn on a smaller/manageable bike (i regret doing my Level 1 on the Ninja 650) so that you can focus on the drills and not on "how to survive when your front wheel is looking skywards". Additionally, see if you can get to attend in a month when the Tamil Nadu weather is nice (rare but it happens) so that your body is physically comfortable and you are not dehydrating extensively on the bike.

There, these were my two big cents. Sorry for the long post but Vasuki woke me from my slumber so had to do justice to it
Thanks for your detailed post. I got different feedback regarding choice of ride. They told me to go for my own bike, as reasoning is after all it is better to get trained in your own bike. That's why I took Z800.

You said it mate, For Tamil Nadu best time would be between Nov and Feb.

How's life @Mumbai? Do you take part in track days now?

Last edited by Vasuki : 4th April 2019 at 22:01.
Old 4th April 2019, 22:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Trying to get a sense of the best ride training options out there. Kindly requesting those of us who have attended one or more schools to please vote and also take a minute to explain your choices in posts.

From this list, we will pick the schools with the most votes and open a second thread to vote on their offerings for the next few months. Subsequent steps will be decided at a later date once we get a sense of the level of enthusiasm in the forum.

Please note that each person can vote for more than one choice. This facility is enabled to allow experienced people to feel free to suggest all the schools that are good in their opinion, rather than feeling forced to pick just one.

Also please do not let my no-vote influence your decision to vote. I am not voting because I don't yet have an opinion. Why? Well, because I have not been to any of these schools. Hopefully, that will change with this thread.

Thank you
Cheers
Have attended CSS twice in India and twice in the US. Level 4 rider. Have also attended Apex Racing and a couple of other schools in the US as well. It has been a couple of years ago though.

CSS offers very insightful details into the way you ride. Is expensive and offers less track time. Usual framework is 5 drills a day and may be 5 laps at MMST for each drill with classroom session in the middle. MMST is a big bike track

Apex Racing (last done in 2014) offers bikes for rents, gives more track time, was much cheaper, but lesser feedback. Things could have changed by now though. They normally run out of Kari track in Coimbatore and its a technical track.

Have heard good things about Rajni Academy as well but havent got the chance to attend it yet.

Last edited by JayKis : 4th April 2019 at 22:18.
JayKis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed post. I got different feedback regarding choice of ride. They told me to go for my own bike, as reasoning is after all it is better to get trained in your own bike. That's why I took Z800.

You said it mate, For Tamil Nadu best time would be between Nov and Feb.

How's life @Mumbai? Do you take part in track days now?
Hi Vasuki

Life in Mumbai is hectic and not as much on two wheels as bangalore mainly due to the lack of decent riding routes outside Mumbai. Few highways are as smooth as the roads down South so for my kind of riding its generally not as likeable. The weather again is not a patch on the pleasant weather we have in Bangalore which adds to my misery

Trackday frequency has gone down for me due to increased work commitments and the much much higher cost for doing a trackday from Mumbai (shipping bikes etc are super costly).

I am mostly going for the Apex Open at MMRT this month on 17-18. Should be fun
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:31   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Vasuki

Life in Mumbai is hectic and not as much on two wheels as bangalore mainly due to the lack of decent riding routes outside Mumbai. Few highways are as smooth as the roads down South so for my kind of riding its generally not as likeable. The weather again is not a patch on the pleasant weather we have in Bangalore which adds to my misery
Thanks for saying what I have been saying to many people. The surface quality of roads in Mumbai is appalling Roads in the south are so much better. I just returned from a short trip to Chennai and the roads there have such consistent surfaces all over the city. This is true even for roads that are in the interiors. I am sure KA roads are even better. Certainly that was the case when I was driving around Mysore.
Old 5th April 2019, 13:52   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few highways are as smooth as the roads down South so for my kind of riding its generally not as likeable.
How did you find the twisty, turny roads in Manipal? I remember that unlike most of our batchmates, you were one of the few who didn't fall from your motorcycle and end up in KMC's ortho ward! Guess who I am Nice to run into you here.

I have been seeing your track-day updates on FB over the years. Looks like you're sharing what you know.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
How did you find the twisty, turny roads in Manipal? I remember that unlike most of our batchmates, you were one of the few who didn't fall from your motorcycle and end up in KMC's ortho ward! Guess who I am Nice to run into you here.

I have been seeing your track-day updates on FB over the years. Looks like you're sharing what you know.
Hi Jagan,

Fancy bumping into you here. Yes I do remember the manipal roads, specially the one that ran upto kudremukh

Hope to see you hit the track soon considering you live in Chennai
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 15:25   #43
BANNED

Quote:
I have ridden with both Indimotard and Apex and between the two I would recommend Apex for the advantage they have in they way feedback is imparted back to the students on their sessions. This is also the reason why majority of my friends have trained with Apex than any other school...

Regarding CSS, while i have not attended the school, I have had really really strong feedback that has come from friends who have attended it both in India and abroad. Apparently, their pedagogy and coaches are in a different league altogether. No wonder they charge a bomb for attendance vis-a-vis other schools. I can only verify the veracity of this if and when I attend them myself for possibly a refresher.
When you say Indimotard, you mean TWO riding school, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
CSS offers very insightful details into the way you ride. Is expensive and offers less track time. Usual framework is 5 drills a day and may be 5 laps at MMST for each drill with classroom session in the middle. MMST is a big bike track

Apex Racing (last done in 2014) offers bikes for rents, gives more track time, was much cheaper, but lesser feedback. Things could have changed by now though. They normally run out of Kari track in Coimbatore and its a technical track..
I just saw this video on CSS India - . Very impressive. But, my worry is that almost every bike featured here is a big import. Won't guys with humbler bikes like me (with my Dominar) feel out of place?

And what about those racing leathers? Will the school allow us to ride in our regular riding gear, a mesh jacket with armor, knee guards, riding boots and a helmet?
Old 5th April 2019, 15:53   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But, my worry is that almost every bike featured here is a big import. Won't guys with humbler bikes like me (with my Dominar) feel out of place?
I know someone from Shaman Triumph - an amazing rider who did this on an Apache 200 provided by CSS. And he was rocking on the curves. You're learning to be a better rider on your bike. You're not in a race with other riders. Safety is not an issue either despite having quicker bikes on the track - each rider goes as per his ability. I plan to do the course on their Apache as well.

Quote:
And what about those racing leathers? Will the school allow us to ride in our regular riding gear, a mesh jacket with armor, knee guards, riding boots and a helmet?
Please speak to them to understand gear requirements very clearly. CSS is very specific. For CSS:

- You need shin high proper riding boots.
- Your helmet must have double D ring style locking loop.
- While leathers are not compulsory, riding pants and riding jacket are mandatory AND the jacket and pants need to be capable of being attached to each other (they are zipped at waist level if you buy as a set).

Each school (or track I think) has varying but specific sets of requirements and these need to be well understood and complied with - good to know this early as this can add to your overall cost.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 21:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
When you say Indimotard, you mean TWO riding school, correct?

But, my worry is that almost every bike featured here is a big import. Won't guys with humbler bikes like me (with my Dominar) feel out of place?

You wont feel out of place at all. Just having a big bike doesnt mean the riding skills should match. A good rider will run rings around the the big bikes on corners.

If you are interested in getting to the track, the best thing would be to get racing leathers. Reason being, if you fall that mesh jacket or trousers is not going to protect more than a 5m slide on the ground. Leathers often go around 80-100m slide depending on the quality and type.

Two piece leathers are allowed but I would suggest a one piece leather because, the one piece is much stronger than a two piece. Also get proper riding boots with ankle protection as it is often the lower part of your body which takes the brunt of a fall. Get good leather gloves and a decent helmet (no cheap stuff) as well. It could cost you upwards of 60K for all but it is always better to be safe.

Have been in a crash, 150 kmph upwards, in which the bike got totalled and the helmet got damaged. But walked away scratch free. Hence, better to be safe!

Last edited by JayKis : 5th April 2019 at 21:49.
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed