Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2020, 20:30   #61
BHPian

Re: Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
I am planning to buy RE thunderbird, is it worth waiting for the new BS6 model to launch our should I go ahead and buy it now? Confused.....
Totally worth it, from what I heard from my friend working at the plant the engine is totally build new and it has derived a lot of properties from the 650. Better performance, better refinement better build quality - win win for all.
psmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Got the info from a pretty reliable source.
The new engines are 410CC, SOHC, with counter balancer.
RE I believe will do away with the 350 and 500 CC configuration altogether and will continue with just the 410 CC engine. Also, to the disappointment of many who were expecting the 650 CC twin engine to make way into the Himalayan, sadly dosen't seem to be the case. The updated Himalayan (When it arrives) will have the same but retuned 410cc mill shared by the Classic and Thunderbird.
So for people looking for the "Thump" and the vibey "character", now is the time to get the UCE.
And for others looking to buy into the RE brand but not looking for the above, its time to wait.
Interesting times ahead. This I believe is another transformation phase in the long journey of the brand Royal Enfield, after the first transformation around 2008-09 when the UCE were introduced. Will be interesting to see how people take to an RE with no "Thump"
In my opinion, the new engines will be a runaway success if they are refined (read no vibes) and RE manages to keep their promise on the service and quality aspect. Just as the twins managed to pull also the buyers who were not into REs or hated REs earlier, I believe the new engines will do the same.
We anyway hardly have options to choose from in the segment that RE serves. Given the brand recognition and the service network and availability RE has, fun times ahead!
Is this 410cc engine, basically the same one as found in the BS6 Himalayan? or an entirely difference unit?
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:07   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Is this 410cc engine, basically the same one as found in the BS6 Himalayan? or an entirely difference unit?
I guess it is the same engine but with a counter balancer included to deal with the vibes. The 650cc also employs one and I think we can surely expect improvement in vibration levels owing to this.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 16:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
I don't think so, from the looks of it, it looks more like based on the new 650 platform, though it is a single.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so, from the looks of it, it looks more like based on the new 650 platform, though it is a single.
Yeah this was the confusion because if the same 410cc mill which is currently doing duty in BS6 Himalayan was plonked on the test Mule called the "Meteor", I am sure it wouldn't be so refined as it is quoted to be , in media reports.

Agreed that the BS6 Himalayan is a lot smoother than the BS4 Unit.
Old 26th February 2020, 16:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RE can change the covers design to make look like 650.

See this Himalayan Engine without cover architecture looks similar to 650.
Below that is updated classic.
Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-vue_ensemble.jpg
Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfield350500spieddetailsenginespied4.jpg
Old 27th February 2020, 17:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor spied undisguised

The replacement for the Royal Enfield Thunderbird is rumoured to be called Meteor. New spy images have surfaced online that reveal the bike in more detail.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfiledthunderbirdx2696x405.jpg

The Meteor is said to be based on the J-platform. The bike has a round tail lamp and circular turn indicators. It has a stepped seat and a circular instrument pod. Some of the bikes featured in these images have chrome exhausts, while one of the test bikes has a black exhaust with a chrome heat shield.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-royalenfieldmeteor21280x720.jpg

The Meteor is believed to get a new engine with a capacity of 346-499cc. It is expected to be different from the 350cc unit that we are familiar with.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-royalenfieldmeteor31068x601.jpg

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th February 2020 at 17:13.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 12:51   #68
BHPian

I love everything about the Thunderbird: the look, the feel, the ergonomics, the sound (somewhat) - except the vibration. I wish they'd put the interceptor engine on the newer model. I hope the new engine has less vibrations. That'd be the perfect bike for me.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:58   #69
BHPian

Most detailed pics of Meteor/TB yet!

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfie...-12355151.html
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor instrument cluster spied

The first image of the new Royal Enfield Meteor's instrument cluster has surfaced online.

Name:  royalenfieldmeteorinstrumentcluster54de.png
Views: 3568
Size:  327.2 KB

The test bike is equipped with a single-pod instrument cluster that has an analogue speedometer with a digital readout in the centre. The digital screen is likely to display the fuel gauge, odometer, trip meter and clock.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-royalenfieldmeteorheadlightd274.png

The Meteor test mule is equipped with a round halogen headlamp that has a circular LED ring around it.

The Royal Enfield Meteor is said to be based on the J-platform and could replace the Thunderbird. It is rumoured to get a new engine with a capacity of 346-499cc.

Source
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:14   #71
BHPian

[quote=TusharK;4761283]Royal Enfield Meteor instrument cluster spied

The first image of the new Royal Enfield Meteor's instrument cluster has surfaced online.

check more detailed images here!

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfie...-12355151.html
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:55   #72
BHPian

Video of Royal Enfield Meteor

https://indianautosblog.com/biker-ta...-video-p319933
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:38   #73
BHPian

I had spotted one last October near the RE Technical Center in OMR, Chennai.Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-retb.jpg
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 10:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Ahad Hamza for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The next-generation Royal Enfield Thunderbird, which is rumoured to be called the Meteor, has been spotted testing again.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-20200319_181004.jpg

The test bike seen in the images has a round headlamp with a chrome bezel and a circular instrument cluster with a digital readout in the centre. It has a teardrop shaped fuel tank and a stepped seat. At the rear, the bike has a circular tail lamp that has a chrome bezel. The turn-indicators are positioned lower down, next to the number plate.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-img_20200319_180606_026.jpg

The Meteor is believed to be based on Royal Enfield's J-platform. The test bike has a telescopic fork suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear. It also has a black exhaust. The bike could get a new engine with a capacity of 346-499cc.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 11:24   #75
BHPian

While the meteor looks good at an overall level, I really hate the big bare ugly metal junction area between the fuel tank and steering head..hopefully RE will do something about it
IntoTheStorm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed