Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 20:43   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

Call me old fashioned but I see something missing that I wish was there.
What is missing? A good old fashioned kick starter.

I realize electric starters are all the rage and the new breed of motorcycles don't have one but I think it is reassuring to know that if the battery is low or there is something wrong with the electric starting system you can just swing the starter lever out, give it a good stomp and putt merrily away.

While one can "bump start" the engine, most people will need to find someone willing to push the motorcycle while they sit on its saddle and operate the gear shift and clutch.
The old technique of pushing it yourself and then jumping onboard and popping the clutch isn't easy to learn or apply. Especially on a motorcycle that weighs 180 kg.
Oh well. I guess that's progress.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 20th March 2020 at 20:47.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 21:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I was thinking of this today as I have a battery dead Himalayan with me and wondering how to bump start it. Will definitely need 2 more people to push it, given it's 200 kgs weight. It's a task for weekend now.
Old 20th March 2020, 21:53   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I was thinking of this today as I have a battery dead Himalayan with me and wondering how to bump start it. Will definitely need 2 more people to push it, given it's 200 kgs weight. It's a task for weekend now.
If the battery is absolutely dead then even a kick-starter would not be of help, since power is fed to the DC CDI/ECU via the Battery on modern machines.

To bump start a motorcycle without a auto/manual decompressor you need to push the motorcycle while seated in REVERSE with the clutch engaged in gear, push till the engine locks against compression, on the CT100B the front wheel lifts if you try pushing any more, just to give you an idea of the kinda resistance to expect.

Now you simply pull in the clutch, lunge forward and let go of the clutch lever and accelerate.

On the CT100B that weights about 100kg's I don't bother with the kick-starter, if you see me bump starting her you'd simply presume that I'd used the self-starter(which she lacks).

On motorcycles with front weight bias, you could push the motorcycle forward, get your ass off the seat and drop your ass on to the seat releasing the clutch just about when you make contact.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 22:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If the battery is absolutely dead then even a kick-starter would not be of help, since power is fed to the DC CDI/ECU via the Battery on modern machines.

To bump start a motorcycle without a auto/manual decompressor you need to push the motorcycle while seated in REVERSE
Actually I have two battery dead bikes right now. Himalayan should work with push start as it is still new and battery is low due to less usage, RC won't start in any case as battery is 3 years old.

Sorry, I didn't get your Reverse seating point above. Any video link?
Old 20th March 2020, 22:52   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
RC won't start in any case as battery is 3 years old.
I wouldn't recommend this since the RC is digitally intense, but just for knowledge's sake here goes;

DIY: Eliminating Motorcycle Battery & Adding a Capacitor

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get your Reverse seating point above. Any video link?
You sit normally, you only push the motorcycle in reverse to decompress the cylinder.

If you directly push forward and leave the clutch then you will have to push against engine compression which most likely would cause the rear wheel to lock up or require more than one person to push start the motorcycle.

I doubt there'd be any videos with regards to this since most motorcycles these days come with auto-decompressors.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 04:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Call me old fashioned but I see something missing that I wish was there.
What is missing? A good old fashioned kick starter.

I realize electric starters are all the rage and the new breed of motorcycles don't have one but I think it is reassuring to know that if the battery is low or there is something wrong with the electric starting system you can just swing the starter lever out, give it a good stomp and putt merrily away.

While one can "bump start" the engine, most people will need to find someone willing to push the motorcycle while they sit on its saddle and operate the gear shift and clutch.
The old technique of pushing it yourself and then jumping onboard and popping the clutch isn't easy to learn or apply. Especially on a motorcycle that weighs 180 kg.
This is probably more my ignorance than anything, but: as I see it, it is pretty much the same as jumpstarting a car, isn't it? You run out of battery juice, you call insurance, someone shows up with a jumpstart cable (or better yet there's one under the seat). Do we really need kickstarters on bikes when we don't miss them on cars?
Old 21st March 2020, 06:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
This is probably more my ignorance than anything, but: as I see it, it is pretty much the same as jumpstarting a car, isn't it? You run out of battery juice, you call insurance, someone shows up with a jumpstart cable (or better yet there's one under the seat). Do we really need kickstarters on bikes when we don't miss them on cars?
Insurance/ Road Side Assistance support is generally poor in India, atleast for low end/ entry segment bikes. Royal Enfield covers it under separate plan, so shouldn't be a problem for the model being discussed in this thread.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:30   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Do we really need kickstarters on bikes when we don't miss them on cars?
Depends on where you get stuck.

Say if it is in the middle of an offroad hill climb then you'd be counting your blessings to have a kick-starter.

Motorcycles are past perfection and in the territory of mere convenience, most people these days dont even seem to notice if century old reliable technology is replaced for experimental modern tech. That is simply how the world is, so at least at this point there is no shock value when we realize that most if not all motorcycles do not come with what once was regarded quintessential.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:30   #84
BHPian

Was riding on ECR last week and I saw 2 variants of TB (or Meteor!) ... One had round tail lamp with long black muffler while the other one had current TB tail lamp with slightly stubby crome tipped muffler! I am baffled! may be the second one is a test mule or something! I was doing around 75 and the 2nd variant flew past as if I was standing still. It must have been doing around 120 kmph!
Old 29th March 2020, 09:33   #85
BHPian

Meteor spied in almost production form...

Source: Autocar India at https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...c79g2tbVrd6Y9k
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-20200328090246_royalenfieldmeteor.jpg  

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-20200328090245_royalenfieldmeteor4.jpg  

Last edited by Avinash_R : 29th March 2020 at 09:34. Reason: Typos
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 21:50   #86
Team-BHP Support

Looks very similar to the Thunderbird 500X in this paint scheme!
Old 29th March 2020, 21:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

This dual color scheme doesn't seems to be working. I would choose the all black option seen of test mules over this.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
This dual color scheme doesn't seems to be working. I would choose the all black option seen of test mules over this.
+1, not a fan of the M&M colors. I was hoping they do something real classic dual-tones, like the ones we have seen on the 650 twins and the ones we can see on Triumphs. Ah, I guess all that comes at a cost after all.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 18:13   #89
BHPian

I have driven many types and makes of motorcycles years back and don't do it now because I haven't owned one for many years. Majority of my friend own Bullet and whenever I drive a bullet it reminds me how lucky I am to have never owned one. Even after so many years bullet's rear brakes are the worst. Driving old model bullet from right back when brakes were left footed and it having a neutral lever or the 500cc with a diesel genset as an engine to the new classic, it always had bad rear brakes. Then it's stupid chain sprocket and chain links which becomes loose after every 1000kms.
Old 26th April 2020, 17:49   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I have driven many types and makes of motorcycles years back and don't do it now because I haven't owned one for many years. Then it's stupid chain sprocket and chain links which becomes loose after every 1000kms.
Most of the motorcycle chains need to be tightened at every 1000 kilometres! Its not just the fault of RE! It includes KTMs (I owned a duke 200) , Yamahas ( I owned an R15S) and Bajaj ( Again I owned a Dominar!) So hopefully now you will have some idea about motorcycle chains!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks