Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 13:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

Images of an updated Royal Enfield Classic have surfaced online. The spy images indicate that the bike is likely to receive substantial mechanical and cosmetic updates.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-classicnew1.jpg

The test bike has a circular tail lamp with a chrome bezel and circular turn signals, while the Classic fenders have been carried over unchanged. The chrome finished exhaust looks more compact and has a shorter tip. The rear seat looks more rounded and the grab handle appears to have been raised. The gas-charged rear shocks are likely to be replaced with more conventional shock absorbers.

Like the current Classic range, which has front and rear disc brakes and dual-channel ABS, the new model is also expected to feature a similar setup. However, the brake discs are now mounted on the right side of the wheels, while the chain has been moved to the left hand side. Besides, the new Classic 350 and Classic 500 are likely to receive updated BS-VI compliant engines as well.

Source: Powerdrift / Instagram

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

Royal Enfield will be under tremendous pressure to get this one right!

Classic 350 is the sole bread earner in the RE lineup and it has been seeing a steady decline recently with a drop of ~22% YoY. The model is also likely to come under further pressure once Jawa deliveries start in full swing.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-royal_enfield.png

Hopefully they can impart some engineering magic from the 650 twins to the regular models as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

They have updated the Thunderbird as well. They need a new exhaust designer.
Source- PD Insta
Attached Images

tharian is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:06   #4
BHPian

Seems like RE is catching up with the fashion and updating that age old design. I also heard somewhere that the engine might be an OHC setup now. RE is losing on sales ever since Jawa has been back and this seems like a desperate attempt to get their customers back. Hopefully the prices stay around same. Now, only if they got rid of the noise creating long stroke engine for BSVI norms, it'd be an icing on the cake for me.
Bismaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 15:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
Now, only if they got rid of the noise creating long stroke engine for BSVI norms, it'd be an icing on the cake for me.
The noise as we know, is called as legendary thump for the RE aficionados! And that thump is a close second reason behind the 'macho looks' that pulls the crowd towards the Classics and the ThunderBirds. With this update if they are going to loose the thump then a further decline in sales is on the cards for RE, and RE surely knows that. My brother-in-law always wanted to own a Classic for that thump, but his family never let him have one for that same reason(noise), he booked a Jawa 42 recently but wasn't happy with the Jawa's thump, or lack of it!
tchsvy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 15:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Images of an updated Royal Enfield Classic have surfaced online. The spy images indicate that the bike is likely to receive substantial mechanical and cosmetic updates.

However, the brake discs are now mounted on the right side of the wheels, while the chain has been moved to the left hand side. Besides, the new Classic 350 and Classic 500 are likely to receive updated BS-VI compliant engines as well.
That's a substantially large test rider! I can't see the Classic spring seat, is it compressed by the rider's weight? Or we get a one piece seat!

The swapping of brake & chain sides will induce internal changes to the UCE engine. Hope they include other modern bits and test it thoroughly! Hope they upgrade to MF battery in the Classic range.

Ride safe

surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:17   #7
BHPian

Re: Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

My theory is that most reliability problems of RE are due to the tremendous vibrations from the engine. This leads to stress on all fasteners and components. RE really needs to put dual balancer shafts to reduce the vibrations. Atleast on the 500cc engines whose pricing has crept upto 2.5 lakh on road.
timuseravan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
hey need a new exhaust designer.
I actually liked the new exhaust seen on the updated Thunderbird. Not too big and protruding beyond the rear wheel like they normally have. I always felt that the end can is a bit too lengthy (visually) on the current generation Thunderbirds.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the seat and handle arrangement look more comfortable than the current versions?
Or perhaps the test rider in this case is real lanky with long reach of arms.
Also the footpegs appear to be placed more comfortably.

(I am talking about the second picture)

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th March 2019 at 14:09.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also, would the next generation of Thunderbird come with alloy wheels as standard, thereby making the X-series obsolete? Or is the test mule that has been photographed the 350X variant, while there should be a regular Thunderbird out there being tested too.

However, for all new models, reusing the same tail lamps and headlamps from the previous generation is really a bad idea.
And with new engines, if they have managed to kill the vibrations while retaining the thump, then they really can pat their backs.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 28th March 2019 at 14:11.
Old 29th March 2019, 07:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I actually liked the new exhaust seen on the updated Thunderbird. Not too big and protruding beyond the rear wheel like they normally have. I always felt that the end can is a bit too lengthy (visually) on the current generation Thunderbirds.
I don't like the current TB exhaust either since it looks like a commuter bike's exhaust. On the other hand, I did like the off road exhaust that could be bought from RE for the TB. It is similar to the one in the picture above, but the muffler end and beginning were conical like the first gen TB.

The one on this test bike looks incomplete. The one of the Classic looks good , although they seemed to have gone back to the 2004 design from the Bullet.
Old 29th March 2019, 10:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Or is the test mule that has been photographed the 350X variant
Test mule is 350X variant, check rear grab rails, those are sideways unlike regular thunderbird. That also explains alloys on test mule.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 01:14   #13
BHPian

Next-gen Royal Enfield Classic spied with accessories

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...ssories-412515

However, this doesn't seem like having split seats and looks similar to current gen Thunderbird.
Old 17th June 2019, 02:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Gurus,

I am planning to purchase the Royal Enfield Classic 350 Redditich model in the first of week of July. Will the updated version be launched by then? Is it better to wait for this new version to be launched?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th July 2019 at 23:51. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 24th June 2019, 09:50   #15
BHPian

RE Classic - Some more spy shots

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfield350500spieddetailsenginespied4.jpg

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfield350500spieddetailsenginespied14.jpg

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfield350500spieddetailsenginespied20.jpg

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfield350500spieddetailsenginespied21750x430.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks