Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 10:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The Revolt RV400 electric motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think that will be some fundamental advance in battery tech which will dramatically improve range, so charging will become a once in a week thing and a quicker thing like filling up at a fuel station!
Let our mobiles phones get that type of battery first
payeng is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

"However, unlike the 22Kymco iFlow’s 5 kg swappable batteries, the RV 400’s batteries weigh a whopping 18 kilos a piece."

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/ey...w-4113691.html

Dunno about you guys, but I can't carry an 18-kilo battery around for too long without rupturing something. Even 5kg sounds a bit heavy to lug around on a daily basis.
Old 20th June 2019, 17:35   #33
BHPian

Well if it's 18kgs then all I can say is good luck and good bye.😀

5kg is definitely acceptable even if the primary objective is to charge and not swap.

Anyways I would like to end this discussion for two reasons. One is this is a thread for a specific product. Second I believe I have made my points on why I think swappable batteries make immense sense for the two wheeler designed for city commute. Especially when such tech has met with resounding success in a city with crushing population density.
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Removable batteries are useful - at least to me!

I bought Avan Xero+ electric scooter a few months back and have done 600km so far. It has 2 Li Io batteries that I can remove and take home to charge. They weigh 9kg each. As I live in an apartment building and I don't have any electric power socket in my parking, I find this "removable battery" thing very useful - in fact, I was not buying an electric scooter till now because I was not able to find any that comes with removable batteries! In case of this scooter, top speed is capped at 35kmph and each battery provided a range of 55km, so total range is 110km (and I have tested it).

The silence of the electric and and instant torque of the DC motor is addictive - I am in love! And this thing turns more heads than my GTI somehow everyone is noticing it to be electric and stopping and asking many questions. At Rs. 74,000 on road (RTO, insurance and 2 batteries) it seems a pretty decent scooter (I am told Activa costs similar).

Of course 35kmph is too restrictive on some longish rides and being a scooter, suspension is not that soft (with a pillion it is more absorbent). So I am tempted to "upgrade" to Revolt now

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is how the Revolt e-bike sounds. Watch from 05:40 -

PS. Not related to the channel in any way. Just sharing information.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

I somehow get this feeling that the REVOLT is just like many of those "start ups" looking for some cash rich investors. (Eg: Tork, Ultraviolette, 22 Motors are a few examples)
Where is the Manufacturing Plant (Land?Machinery)?
Were are the Parts/Vendors?
Where is the Distribution Network?
Investment Details?
Only Ather has been able to roll out a proper product so far.

Last edited by payeng : 21st June 2019 at 09:39.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Revolt RV 400 electric bike launch on July 22, 2019

According to a media report, Revolt Motors is likely to launch the RV 400 electric bike on July 22, 2019.

The Revolt RV400 electric motorcycle-revolt-intellicorp-unveils-indias-first-ai-enabled-motorcycle-rv-400.jpg

The RV 400 was unveiled earlier this week. Pre-bookings for the bike will open on June 25, 2019 on Amazon and Revolt Motors' website.

The Revolt RV 400 features a hexagonal headlamp with integrated LED daytime running lights. The bike has a digital instrument cluster that offers 4G connectivity. It gets upside down fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear. It comes equipped with alloy wheels and has disc brakes at both ends.

Revolt Motors hasn't revealed the details about the electric motor that powers the RV 400. However, the company claims that the battery offers an ARAI certified range of 156 km on a single charge. It is claimed that the battery can be recharged to its full capacity in 4 hours using a 15 ampere supply. The bike comes with a removable battery which can swapped for a fresh battery at a swapping station.

Source: Bikedekho
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 15:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
How is this any different from going to a petrol station and fill petrol ? Or for that matter how is this any different from having charging stations like the Ather grid at vantage points all over the city? In fact a battery swapping station trumps a bike charging station big time in both the real estate requirements and the time taken per customer.

Irrespective of the improvement in battery technology, the need for a battery to be charged or replaced when someone is on the road is not going to go away. The capacity of a battery and thereby range is IMHO tangential to the need for an efficient solution when someone is on the road!

Yamaha EC-05 announced yesterday is using swappable batteries from Gogoro. Kymko too is moving towards the swappable option through their ionex.

Please watch this video:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=W34k...ature=Youtu.be

Compare this to taking your two wheeler, plugging into the charging dock and waiting for the charging to complete.

And for how successful Gogoro has been please read this:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../05/2003712811

I was talking about swapping. Please see my other post. These batteries are less than 10kgs in weight per unit. Even if one is old/disabled to lift these, this is India and I am sure we will have attendants just like the ones we have in petrol stations to check air!

Range of 80 kms may be sufficient for a Home-to-office commute and back. Not for many other people, who literally zip around the city even in scooters.
Plus what if I am running a bike rental service? Also, irrespective of the range, people would want a quick and efficient turn around.

Space for a 16 battery station that Gogoro has vs space for 16 Athers to charge simultaneously at Bangalore? The former will trump the latter any day, especially in our super dense metro's.
Let me start by saying I follow most every EV development on the entire planet. I have known about Gogoro from the day they put out their first press release. Battery swapping can work in a smallish market provided the first mover started with a battery swapping and got a good enough head start that the second one (and the subsequent ones) had no choice but to follow their battery design. Imagine if all cell phones had to follow the same battery design, we wouldn't have all the varieties we have now. Also, why do you think we don't have battery swapping for cellphones?

There's inherent ownership, logistics and packaging problems that comes with battery swapping. To answer your question as to how it is different from pumping gasoline, you burn gasoline, you don't care about it after you have used it which isn't how you should feel about the battery you bought. You don't want to swap it for some random battery if you have paid for it.

So like I said, if Singapore wants to implement battery swapping, they can do that. Or there are other situations like a closed fleet where it can work. But it ain't gonna work in long term in India, China or USA or any other large economies with multiple stake holders and varied requirements.
Old 30th June 2019, 15:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
In a Perfect world, of course.

Personally I wouldn't touch a mobile phone if it ONLY had the option for an overnight charge.
The question is would you pick up a phone if it can't be charged overnight and you have to take a detour every few days from your commute for a 5 minute (in reality 15 minute) quick refuelling at a cost about 10 Rs?

Or would you rather pick up a phone which can be charged overnight when you sleep for Rs 1 and gets through your day 264 days a year and may need you to charge it one day for an extra half an hour while you take your lunch/coffee break?
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 01:48   #40
Team-BHP Support

Pre-bookings now open on Amazon -

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/revolt-rv...amazon-2066830

Quote:
Revolt Intellicorp's RV 400 electric motorcycle is available for pre-bookings for ₹ 1,000 on Amazon.

Pre-bookings have already begun on revoltmotors.com for Delhi and Pune, and from July 5, 2019 on Amazon. According to Revolt Intellicorp, so far, there have been more than 2,000 pre-orders for the Revolt RV 400.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 22:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I have booked a Red Revolt through the Revolt Motors website, though I don't know when I will get it. I am a very occasional biker though and will be using it only for short local commutes with an objective of reducing my carbon footprint!
Will definitely post an ownership thread once I get it. I feel that the electric 2 wheeler segment in India is badly under addressed and India does need a major push towards electric two wheelers.
Initially I was planning to get either a Jawa 42 or an Interceptor but the long waiting period of the Jawa and the heavy weight of the Interceptor forced me to look for other options.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 22:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
So like I said, if Singapore wants to implement battery swapping, they can do that. Or there are other situations like a closed fleet where it can work. But it ain't gonna work in long term in India, China or USA or any other large economies with multiple stake holders and varied requirements.
An easily transportable battery pack would certainly work for India. I am thinking something on the lines of Silence motors. The energy pack pops out directly to be on wheels. There is no need to lift it - ever. It can be wheeled into any apartment or office to be charged. I can imagine this can be part of battery swapping as well. If you have not already seen this - check it out. https://www.silence.eco/en/
Old 11th July 2019, 22:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I have booked a Red Revolt through the Revolt Motors website, though I don't know when I will get it. I am a very occasional biker though and will be using it only for short local commutes with an objective of reducing my carbon footprint!
Will definitely post an ownership thread once I get it. I feel that the electric 2 wheeler segment in India is badly under addressed and India does need a major push towards electric two wheelers.
Initially I was planning to get either a Jawa 42 or an Interceptor but the long waiting period of the Jawa and the heavy weight of the Interceptor forced me to look for other options.

I understand your wish to reduce the carbon footprint. In fact, I appreciate it a lot.

But, consider getting interceptor still. It's an immensely better bike..
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 06:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nobody will lift 18 kilos without getting a serious back problem. They could have easily made it two batteries of 9 kilos each. There are wheels you get to transport them, so that's not a bother. This is where companies need to think of an end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Well if it's 18kgs then all I can say is good luck and good bye.
Old 14th July 2019, 13:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
An easily transportable battery pack would certainly work for India. I am thinking something on the lines of Silence motors. The energy pack pops out directly to be on wheels. There is no need to lift it - ever. It can be wheeled into any apartment or office to be charged. I can imagine this can be part of battery swapping as well. If you have not already seen this - check it out. https://www.silence.eco/en/
Electric scooters only need a regular wall outlet for charging. Its so much easier to set up that to have to drag this thing along every time you have to go somewhere. This solution clearly isn't gonna go mainstream.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks