Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2007, 04:53   #1
BANNED

Why no need of Rear View Mirror in motorcycles ?

Quote:
Rear View Mirror (Rule# 125 - CMV Rules)
Every motor vehicle, except motor cycles, must be fitted with a rear view mirror in such a way that the driver has a clear vision of the traffic behind.
I'm wondering why motorcycles don't need a Rear View Mirror ?

Anyone having any idea ???
Old 27th January 2007, 05:05   #2
BANNED

rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

hey,
Motor Cycles dont require rear view mirrors as the motorbikes have side mirrors like cars and are very close to each other on the handle of the bike.thus no place for rear vies mirrors. and rear view mirrors are on the roof of the car but a bike has no roof.
Cheers.
Old 27th January 2007, 10:26   #3
BHPian

Also what will you see if you keep your rear view mirror at the center of the handle bars...
i mean the only reflection it will be able to give will be of the rider only....
and not the traffic behing it...
Old 27th January 2007, 13:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think mithun means side mirrors only. They are RV mirrors for a bike, and apparently in a bike you can get away from law even without the side view mirrors.
Old 27th January 2007, 18:26   #5
BHPian

so does that mean there is no compulsary rule for mirrors in bikes??last week a friend of mine got charged for not having one....he also got a receipt of 200rs afaik.....
Old 30th January 2007, 04:39   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
hey,
Motor Cycles dont require rear view mirrors as the motorbikes have side mirrors like cars and are very close to each other on the handle of the bike.thus no place for rear vies mirrors. and rear view mirrors are on the roof of the car but a bike has no roof.
Cheers.
When we mean RVM in the mobikes, we usually associate it with the two side RVM's and not the internal RVM's present on the cars AND folks will never ever put up a big windshield and fit a mirror on it. So what does this CMV rule propagate ???
Old 31st January 2007, 13:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
so does that mean there is no compulsary rule for mirrors in bikes??last week a friend of mine got charged for not having one....he also got a receipt of 200rs afaik.....
Where was this friend of yours based??
Maybe the cops who fined him needs to look at a majority of 2 wheelers in Hyderabad, where these are seen as only a luxury.

When i bought my Pulsar Classic 150, my friends with all due humbleness asked me to have them removed, as it would make the bike look more sporty. I politely refused.
Old 31st January 2007, 13:37   #8
BHPian

I am not sure about this. All these time I was under impression the RVM is must for motor cycles. Infact I had been charged ( bribed - finally) for not using RVM in Bangalore as well as in Kerala ( way back!).

The rule 125 in ( Motor Vehicle Rules in India.) says RVM is a must?.
Old 31st January 2007, 13:41   #9
rks
BANNED

If that is the rule then it is wrong. My experience of riding a scooter convinced me that both rear-view mirrors are absolutely essential for safe driving. Snappy lane changes without RVM's is a dangerous proposition in two-wheelers, especially since you are overtaken by faster four-wheelers all the time.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Probably something to do with the fact that during the time one takes his eyes off the road while looking into the difficult to use RVMs, 2 buses and 3 lorries would have run over him
Old 31st January 2007, 14:40   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Probably something to do with the fact that during the time one takes his eyes off the road while looking into the difficult to use RVMs, 2 buses and 3 lorries would have run over him
If you don't use RVM's then you would have to take a quick look over your shoulders before cutting lanes (or swerving to avoid potholes/stones) and that is definitely more unsafe because you lose even peripheral vision of the road ahead. Then there are those characters that don't bother to check whether there are vehicles behind them before cutting lanes/swerving -- obviously they are risking their own and possibly other people's lives.

Of course one point that must be remembered is that the RVM's of two-wheelers give only a limited view behind and on a wide/curving road, they could end up missing some fast-moving vehicle following them. Having two RVM's alleviates this problem to some extent.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

i think mirrors are required even for registration, maybe rule is referring to central mirror or this is quoting an older law
Old 31st January 2007, 14:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

They're also completely useless during nights and dazzling headlights behind.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:54   #14
BHPian

it is a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Where was this friend of yours based??
Maybe the cops who fined him needs to look at a majority of 2 wheelers in Hyderabad, where these are seen as only a luxury.

When i bought my Pulsar Classic 150, my friends with all due humbleness asked me to have them removed, as it would make the bike look more sporty. I politely refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i think mirrors are required even for registration, maybe rule is referring to central mirror or this is quoting an older law
I read in a local news paper yesterday about rear view mirrors for two wheelers. The paper quotes RVMs are must per law. Also about the troubles of not having them (turning head 130+ degrees, neck muscle problem, etc..)
Old 7th January 2010, 02:11   #15
BANNED

What a stupid question asked. If you are a responsible rider and have some driving sense, then you would never ever remove the RVM from any vehicle.
I have a 1994 model Kinetic Honda which came only with one R-RVM but I got an L-RVM fitted too because of the mad rush in one-way roads, where people drives like buzzing angry bees! The same with my 1978 Padmini, I got 2 side RVM for it.

And for God's sake at least do not remove the RVMs of any vehicle thinking it gives sporty looks.(Still insist on looks then sporty looking RVMs are availble) Height of Stupidity, You ll never know when a mad drunk driver or a brake-failed truck is speeding towards you from behind.

thinking over
-always set the RVMs before you start your ride/drive
-trap the helmet
-wear seat belts, even 40kph can kill !

Most Viewed