Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 21:23   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
If that was true - Xtreme 200 would have set the sales charts on fire by now. I dont think Indian regular consumer is so ignorant about performance now - especially someone who is paying extra from the 100-125cc commuter class. I am sure most would check out Youtube reviews etc before making a decision
A few things went against the Hero Xtreme 200R which was something I brought up earlier in the forum
1. Hero invited journalists for the test rides of the relatively under powered 200R at BIC in June 2018. That would be the last place one would expect such a test ride to happen for what is not a very sporty motorcycle and the big track would only serve to highlight the 200R's weaknesses rather than accentuate its strengths! To make things worse, the Xtreme 200S was also tested at BIC though I thought I heard one journalist mention that they didnt have access to the long straight(s?). This certainly was an xtremely errr extremely puzzling move by Hero.
2. After the test rides, the bikes were nowhere to be found! The bikes were actually launched a few months later (August IIRC) for reasons unknown and dispatches began only in December 2018. So everyone who would have been interested in the 200R would have forgotten about it and moved on to its other competitors that are easily available. And here we pile on Mahindra for the missing Jawas
3. Uninspiring looks. Many of us couldnt pick one up out of a lineup if the badges were moved.
4. Terrible timing! By the time the bikes actually reached showrooms, we were bang smack in the middle of a very poor sales run in the automobile market.

Going by our February sales chart, the numbers seem decent for a new product going up against very established competition. I tried doing a side by side comparison against the bikes I listed but I could only do a like to like comparison with the FZ25 (which the Xtreme 200R easily beat). The Apache RTR 200's numbers are probably clubbed with the 150 - 180cc numbers are are impossible to pick out. Its almost a similar case with the Bajaj Pulsar NS 200 (listed in the SIAM numbers but clubbed with the Pulsar 180) while the Pulsar RS 200 isnt listed at all.

Where the 200S has an advantage over the 200R is in styling and its throwback Karizma-ness. The other faired 200 cc motorcycle is a whole lot more expensive.

Personally, I think the Apache RTR 200 ABS is the pick of this lot but its also the second most expensive option. It is the one I would buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A 300cc is apparently under development for launch with the karizma name plate in 2020, which we know is really 2021 in heros calendar.

This is the engine schumi hinted at which might also make its way into the xpulse.
Now this is exciting news indeed. Im sure these rumours will have the boffins over at Royal Enfield worried!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 00:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I feel it is important to look at the Xtreme 200S in the context of the pricing against its rivals. Ive used Overdrive to pick the ex showroom pricing of some other motorcycles in its class
- Yamaha FZ 25 (non ABS) : Rs 95,680
I think you have mis quoted the FZ 25 (250cc) instead of FZ (160 cc).

Ex-Showroom Price of FZ 25 and its faired sibling Fazer 25 are given below:

FZ 25 (non ABS): 1.2 L
FZ 25 (Dual Channel ABS): 1.33 L
Fazer 25 (non ABS): 1.3 L
Fazer 25 (Dual Channel ABS): 1.43 L

On the other hand, the ex-showroom price of FZ V3.0 (160 cc) is approx. 95K which is close to what you have quoted.

Quote:
Going by our February sales chart, the numbers seem decent for a new product going up against very established competition. I tried doing a side by side comparison against the bikes I listed but I could only do a like to like comparison with the FZ25 (which the Xtreme 200R easily beat). The Apache RTR 200's numbers are probably clubbed with the 150 - 180cc numbers are are impossible to pick out. Its almost a similar case with the Bajaj Pulsar NS 200 (listed in the SIAM numbers but clubbed with the Pulsar 180)
If we consider FZ V 3.0 instead of FZ 25, then it's a non starter where the FZ consistently sells in the ballpark of 15K every month, while Xtreme 200 R sells just 2K-3K units on an average.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 11:08   #33
BHPian

Based on the above interesting discussions on the time of launch, test drives, etc, A general question from me, why are the manufacturers taking a longer time between media drives and TD vehicles for common man? We don't get to test carburettor-ed version and the FI version separately for specific bikes that we knew that are in market. All I hear from the dealers are that both are almost same. Then when I ask the question of why then two different versions? there is no proper response. Somehow this doesn't cater to the eagerness that will be created among the common man during the launch of the vehicle. As a buyer when I spend a lakh and above for a two-wheeler, my expectations would be to test drive the machine that will be exactly the same as I would get one. Not the pre-production or alpha/beta versions that will go for further iterations.
Hero as a leader in sales of two wheelers (lets not bring in if its just 100-125cc segment or above) should set an example like for example how maruti does in cars. Launching 200R in a phased manner itself killed the interest on the product as because a common man will go for a well know Pulsar rather than going for a new vehicle which doesn't have a full blown launch.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:24   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I think you have mis quoted the FZ 25 (250cc) instead of FZ (160 cc).

Ex-Showroom Price of FZ 25 and its faired sibling Fazer 25 are given below:

FZ 25 (non ABS): 1.2 L
FZ 25 (Dual Channel ABS): 1.33 L
Fazer 25 (non ABS): 1.3 L
Fazer 25 (Dual Channel ABS): 1.43 L

On the other hand, the ex-showroom price of FZ V3.0 (160 cc) is approx. 95K which is close to what you have quoted.

If we consider FZ V 3.0 instead of FZ 25, then it's a non starter where the FZ consistently sells in the ballpark of 15K every month, while Xtreme 200 R sells just 2K-3K units on an average.
Thanks, you are right. Overdrive has mistakenly put a picture of the FZ25 alongside the prices of the FZ V3 which is Rs 95K. I didnt notice the mention of the 149cc on the page! I am sure that most of the 150 / 160 cc options in the market easily outsell the 200 / 250 cc ones. Even if they are priced at a premium like the Yamahas. If we can get the SIAM data for May or June dispatches, we will get a better picture of how the 200R fares with 6 months under its belt and also if Hero has actually started dispatches in a timely manner thus avoiding their big mistakes from the last launch.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:08   #35
BHPian

First off, this is a small step but in right direction for HMCL.

If we look back from the launch of failure products new Karizma & Karizma ZMR with EBR influenced design, and the HX250R which was promised in Auto Expo 2012 but never made out to the market and so on, delivering a decent looking and performing product without a loud mouth forehand is a positive step.

Hero has to come up with a proper plan to first catch up and surpass the competition in the field of technology. Remember the i3s technology where Hero surprised the market few years back and the design of iSmart was not bad either, i would say - it was a refreshing one in commuter segment.

So, I hope Xtreme 200R should post decent numbers in sales considering the budget buyers.
Old 10th May 2019, 03:27   #36
BHPian

The Xtreme 200S looks ravishing in brown colour compared to red and even compared to black.
I am leaning towards 200S after checking out the three colors together for the first time
(Photo courtesy: blog.gaadikey.com)

girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:48   #37
BHPian

Has anyone test rode the bike yet or it is the usual story with Hero? I enquired with almost all Hero dealerships in Pune and no one clearly confirmed when the bike will be available for test ride.
Old 9th June 2019, 12:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Has anyone test rode the bike yet or it is the usual story with Hero? I enquired with almost all Hero dealerships in Pune and no one clearly confirmed when the bike will be available for test ride.
I did one test Ride, Sai Honda, BSK.
Liked it better than 200, the engine seems more refined too.

Though went to book 200, ended up booking 200S.
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:41   #39
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I did one test Ride, Sai Honda, BSK.
Liked it better than 200, the engine seems more refined too.

Though went to book 200, ended up booking 200S.
If you have already taken delivery, can you share your initial impressions and experience.
I am also considering 200R/S and could use some first hand experience as these bikes are not yet discussed in any fora.

Thanks
JLS
Old 21st October 2019, 11:08   #40
BHPian

On 19th, took delivery of Xtreme 200s. Price came to 1.18 L on road here in Trivandrum. They quoted 1.24 as the price and applied some 5k festive season discount. As red was out of stock, decided to go ahead with black. Just rode some 50 KM.

Initial Observations
- Easy to handle for a guy like me with average height.
- Smooth gear shifts.
- Power delivery seems to be smooth (but no hard throttle yet).
- Comfortable for pillion rider.
- Single channel ABS, offers good bite.

Nothing negative has come up so far. Let us see how it fares in the long run. My intended use is mainly office commutes and runs within the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S-1.jpg  

Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S-2.jpg  

Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S-3.jpg  

Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S-4.jpg  

Hero MotoCorp unveils the Xtreme 200S-5.jpg  

ask_017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
On 19th, took delivery of Xtreme 200s. Price came to 1.18 L on road here in Trivandrum. They quoted 1.24 as the price and applied some 5k festive season discount. As red was out of stock, decided to go ahead with black. Just rode some 50 KM.

Initial Observations
- Easy to handle for a guy like me with average height.
- Smooth gear shifts.
- Power delivery seems to be smooth (but no hard throttle yet).
- Comfortable for pillion rider.
- Single channel ABS, offers good bite.

Nothing negative has come up so far. Let us see how it fares in the long run. My intended use is mainly office commutes and runs within the city.
Congratulations on your new bike. From the pictures, the bike certainly does look very nice and could even be mistaken for the black Ninja 200 to the untrained eye.

The 200S appears to be a very low seller here in Cochin, the dealership sales guy mentioned that they had hardly sold less than half a dozen IIRC. The Xpulses meanwhile are flying off the Hero showrooms. Do keep us updated on the ABS's performance on your bike, if by any unfortunate reason, it is called into duty. I have heard some complaints about inconsistent behaviour of the single channel ABS on the Hero 200 platform motorcycles.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 18:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new bike. From the pictures, the bike certainly does look very nice and could even be mistaken for the black Ninja 200 to the untrained eye.

The 200S appears to be a very low seller here in Cochin, the dealership sales guy mentioned that they had hardly sold less than half a dozen IIRC. The Xpulses meanwhile are flying off the Hero showrooms. Do keep us updated on the ABS's performance on your bike, if by any unfortunate reason, it is called into duty. I have heard some complaints about inconsistent behaviour of the single channel ABS on the Hero 200 platform motorcycles.
Thanks Neil. It is indeed a good looking bike. Red would have been more dashing, but sadly the one they had on stock got invoiced before I could pounce.

It is indeed a low seller as you rightly pointed. I could not find even one on the roads here and for that weird reason, I decided to be unique among the crowd and go for this.

Let me complete the run in period and will update on the braking and other aspects.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:48   #43
BHPian

Took my bike on a 650 km round trip. From Trivandrum to Palakkad and back. Few take aways.
- Engine performance was very good with no rattles at speeds above 80.
- Pushed maximum to 100, did not go beyond that. 100 comes at about 7k rpm.
- Cruising best done at anywhere from 80 to 90 kmph.
- Braking was adequate. ABS worked well.
- Was so easy to handle especially in the famous Kerala traffic blocks.
- Only negative I felt was the seating comfort seemed to be on the lower side.
- Did not face any problem with engine over heating or anything like that.

Last edited by ask_017 : 31st December 2019 at 12:48. Reason: Number error
ask_017 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:28   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Only negative I felt was the seating comfort seemed to be on the lower side.
Irrespective of distance, saddle time is a determining factor, the longer time you spend on the saddle the more you're prone to discomfort.

A means to reduce the impact is to shift from regular briefs to boxers, the thick borders of the briefs over time tend to dig into your buttocks giving the notion that you're sitting on metal rails rather than cotton fabric, this tends to increase the number of breaks required effectively reducing your average riding speed and the discomfort gets worse over time.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Irrespective of distance, saddle time is a determining factor, the longer time you spend on the saddle the more you're prone to discomfort.

A means to reduce the impact is to shift from regular briefs to boxers, the thick borders of the briefs over time tend to dig into your buttocks giving the notion that you're sitting on metal rails rather than cotton fabric, this tends to increase the number of breaks required effectively reducing your average riding speed and the discomfort gets worse over time.

Regards,
A.P.
Thanks AP. I agree with your thoughts. I'm sure these are from the experiences gained from your countless long rides. I'm a very inexperienced long rider. Next time definitely will keep this in mind.

One other question is regarding the cushioning of the seat. I feel the stock seat is inadequate in that respect. Will changing it improve the comfort levels over long distances?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks