Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2019, 21:42   #1
BHPian

150 - 200 cc motorcycle for 1.25 lakhs?

Dear enthusiasts,

I am looking for a bike in the range of 150 cc to 200 cc with a budget of about 1 to 1.25 lacs. Previously owned Honda Unicorn 150 cc and it served well over a period of 10 years (about 50k KM on odo so not an heavy use as such). Now it is with my cousin and I need to get a new one for myself.

Requirements (not in specific order) -
  • Comfortable riding position, easy handling,
  • Good power at the low and mid range,
  • Occasional office commutes (15 to 20 KMs ride in moderate to heavy traffic),
  • Occasional weekend rides,
  • Looks (its subjective but still would like to hear the views)

What are the good options to consider in current market. Needless to say the views we get here are valuable.

Thank you!
Old 19th May 2019, 00:49   #2
BHPian

re: 150 - 200 cc motorcycle for 1.25 lakhs?

I think you should consider the following:

1. Yamaha FZ25 - Meets most of your requirements. Though it's a 250 but power figures are similar to a 200. Reliable and proven product.

2. Hero Xtreme 200 S or Xpulse 200 T
S is a fully faired version of the Hero Xtreme. Newly launched. Check it out.
T is a road (tour) version of Xpulse with standard wheels n suspension. It's a normal street bike.

Looks are personal so you let us know which one you like as these are 3 completely different looking motorcycles.

As you mentioned comfortable riding position, so no pulsar and apache! But if you get a chance do test ride the TVS Apache 200 4v, arguably the best 200 available around your budget.

Ride safe

TBHP advices to keep a budget for riding gears and good quality helmet right from planning stages. Refer Ride Safe section for details.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 01:49   #3
BHPian

I feel Hornet will check most of your requirements.

Honda Hornet: +ves
1. Refined engine
2. Decent stock tyre size - no need to upgrade
3. CBS & ABS options
4. Although the seating isnt as relaxed as unicorn, it isn't too aggressive either (like say R15)
5. Maintenance is not much different from regular unicorns.

-ves:
1. Although refined, its not really a sprinter as such. An apache can outrun this one on most occasions.
2. Carb engine on offer, other Fi bikes are pretty close in pricing.

If the above one does not suite you, FZ250 is the best one, at a higher price point though.
SS80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 08:48   #4
BANNED

The Apache 200 is a classy motorcycle. I have not owned it but did several test rides to see how far TVS has come since my first TVS motorcycle three decades ago. The quality of the bike, refinement and power are all clearly ahead of the competition.
fiestarry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 10:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also suggest Apache RTR, looks great, performs great and is a very reliable machine. I am still holding onto my RTR after 10+ years.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 13:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 150 - 200 cc motorcycle for 1.25 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Honda Hornet.

If the above one does not suite you, FZ250 is the best one, at a higher price point though.
I would suggest that you select the best from among the Honda Hornet, Yamaha FZ 250 and TVS Apache RTR best suited to your likes.

My thumbs down for the Hero Honda Karizma variants, being launched by Hero Motocop with new names and with some garish designs, with almost no technical upgrades.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 14:34   #7
BHPian

Check out cruisers such as the Intruder and the Avenger. While the Intruder's looks are polarising, it's one of the most comfortable bikes around, especially for city driving. I got one a few months back, have completed 2200+ kms and haven't regretted it.
The Avenger is a dated machine, but there's a reason why it's been around for so long!
ChevyTeddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:56   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you go for apache 200. Having*said that I recently purchased one and it is one fun motorcycle to ride. Though I never liked how it looks (which are subjective) it draws a lot*of attention on the road. Ex-Showroom Delhi was 111500 Rs for Pearl White dual channel abs model with Pirelli tires at both*ends. Now with the first service completed and 700kms on the odometer. I can point out the following.

Pros

Built Quality (Much better than Yamaha's)

Handling (This bike loves corners)

Braking (Dual channel abs does its job perfectly)

Ergonomics (One sits fairly upright, though the seat cushioning is good.)

Cons

Fuel Efficiency (35 KMPL when ridden sanely in city conditions)

TVS service (Pathetic in my area, while lubing the chain, the lube was all over was the rear disc and it stopped working.)

Service Cost (1000rs for the first service)

The rear seat is way too small and hard

No place to store papers
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:58   #9
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs.

I have zeroed down on Hornet and Apache RTR based on the research and the test rides taken so far.

Hero xtreme 200s is not even available for test ride yet, ruled it out. I am not a fan of Yamaha so ruled out Yamaha options as well. Bajaj is not considered at all as option.

Will update on the decision and purchase.

Last edited by yogesh.8984 : 9th June 2019 at 10:59.
Old 9th June 2019, 12:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post

I have zeroed down on Hornet and Apache RTR based on the research and the test rides taken so far.
Inadequate research sir, else you'd never stumble upon the Hornet.

I'd suggest you take your time and consult with actual owners who have experience with multiple brands and racks up serious miles.

I've done my part, conscience cleared, the rest is fate.

Cheers.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 15:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post

Hero xtreme 200s is not even available for test ride yet, ruled it out. I am not a fan of Yamaha so ruled out Yamaha options as well. Bajaj is not considered at all as option.

Will update on the decision and purchase.
Based on your price and budget, Honda Hornet checks all requirements. I own a Unicorn and ride my friend's Hornet as well. Covered 36.3K KMS on the ODO in last three years.

Based on your requirements:
  1. Comfortable riding position, easy handling: Yes, not too aggressive and not too sporty either. Good on corners. Apache has a two-piece handlebar (no, it's not a proper clip on). Seats are hard and sporty riding in heavy traffic will make you uncomfortable. RTR 160 4v does this better though.
  2. Good power at the low and mid range: You'll get a massive amount of torque. Hornet gives an insane amount of pull. Power comes as low as 2000rpm and stays in the range of 8000-9000rpm ish. A half clutch in 5th gear can get the bike on low speeds of 10km/hr without hiccups. Personally tried this. Anything above will stress the bike. RTR 200 has good mid and top. It's not a good crowd commuter from what I've seen. Not for traffic rides. FE drops as low as 30 in some cases.
  3. Occasional office commutes (15 to 20 KMs ride in moderate to heavy traffic): A 160cc bike should be more than enough.
  4. Occasional weekend rides: If you're not looking for too much power, go for Hornet. Cruises in the 70-90km/hr easily for the whole day. You can expect around 45kmpl from such speeds. Top end is where the Hornet shines.
  5. Looks (its subjective but still would like to hear the views): Lets face it. Both are too plasticky. Not a huge fan of plastics but more or less Apache and Hornet don't have much difference in terms of looks.
  6. On a final note, I find the brakes on RTR 200 to be great at 90+ speeds though. Takes some skill on Hornet to brake from there. What helps the Hornet is sticker Zappers when compared to the Stock TVS Remora tyres (they tend to slip on wet and sandy surfaces).
Bismaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Having used the Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS since 2014, I'd recommend you try that bike on for size. It's got the right balance of power and efficiency. The ride is a bit on the stiffer side and I am a fan of its handling prowess.
For my commute of almost 75 KMS the bike returns anywhere between 38 to 45 KMPL (depending on the flex of my right wrist).
The other option you can try and as suggested by the good folks above is the TVS RTR200. I haven't had a chance to ride it but I like what I saw during my recent visit to a TVS showroom, also its exhaust note is rorty (if you're a fan of that).

Do update which bike you've finalised.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 00:56   #13
BHPian

Great that someone already posted the question with my requirements
My primary requirement is rider comfort. Which one from the below is the best?
Hornet 160, rtr 1604v and Xtreme t?
Old 27th June 2019, 13:46   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Great that someone already posted the question with my requirements
My primary requirement is rider comfort. Which one from the below is the best?
Hornet 160, rtr 1604v and Xtreme t?
This is a no-brainer mate, the Xtreme 200 is the way to go.

The other two options get quite buzz'y as the rev's built up, not to mention ergonomics of the Xtreme 200 is well suited for your requirement.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 27th June 2019 at 13:48.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This is a no-brainer mate, the Xtreme 200 is the way to go.

The other two options get quite buzz'y as the rev's built up, not to mention ergonomics of the Xtreme 200 is well suited for your requirement.
Thanks for the info...Now after riding all the mentioned bikes in the category, am bit confused about RTR160 4V and FZS Fi
What would be your opinion in these 2 bikes?

My driving requirement : daily 20km to and fro commute and weekend 100-150km trips
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed