Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:53   #16
BHPian

re: RC / Fitness Renewal of a bike in under 2 hours without a broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Think it depends on various RTOs.
Through an RTO agent:
Went through an authorized RTO agent since it was a complicated case. He took only Rs.500 or so as his fees. All the paper work was done by him. We only had to take the car to the test site. Wait time : Around an hour for the RTO officials to arrive.

Wow! Rs.500 for a RC renewal work is really cheap.

For the RC renewal of a car, my friend paid about 4.5k couple of months back in Bangalore. When I initially asked some agents/brokers for renewal of my wife's bike in blr, they quoted b/w 2k to 3k.
Old 5th June 2019, 22:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Thanks for the ballpoint figure. Seems high to me. But given no option, I might take it.

Just an update:

If you decide to go with an agent/broker for the renewal, this may be useful:

One of my friend renewed his RC for his car a few days back at Jayanagar RTO. He was quoted 7k all inclusive, but he managed to bring it down to Rs.5k all inclusive (ie, agents charges + RTO fees, etc..) All paper work was done by the agent.

This is just FYI. You can and should negotiate to bring down the charges. Better to take an all inclusive deal. You don't need to then stand in the cash counter, pay fees etc. You may just need to be present, when the car is examined by the MVI.
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 21:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Experience of two-wheeler renewal of registration without agent
Excellent piece of information! Thank you so much for detailing it out so well. Found all the details I was looking for before heading to an agent to renew my Honda Active RC. Now, inspired by your writing, I am going to attempt this myself at KA02 this week . Hope it works. Thanks again.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 14th October 2019 at 21:10.
Old 6th November 2020, 20:22   #19
BHPian

Update for RC renewal of my 2nd bike

Just got the RC renewal process completed for another of my bike (Samurai) today (06/11/2020).

My bike's RC had expired in the month of July. Since there was lot of confusion on the functioning of RTO in june/july didn't get it done then. Thankfully, the Govt has extended the fitness of all vehicles till Dec 31. I didn't want to wait till the last moment and wanted to complete this early in case of unexpected issues. This was a second renewal for this bike - first time I renewed in 2015, and now again today.

Much more seamless and smooth experience than my previous experience when I went for renewal of my wife's bike. (See the first post in this thread, where I have detailed it)

The website and online payment still has issues - couldn't retrieve my vehicle details because of a change in RTO - internal split of RTO

Other than this, there were no issues.

Walked in @ 10:30 AM; This time got the file, envelope, tag etc from a nearby shop itself - didn't want to repeat the fiasco of last time

Filled the form, submitted it, calculated the fees - came to a total of Rs.1200 (1187, to be exact - the counter chap didn't return any change! :-)) (Road safety Tax cess Rs500 ; Smartcard fee Rs.137 ; GreenTax Rs.250; Renewal fees Rs.300 - Total Rs.1187). An additional Rs.74 has to be given in a separate counter to get the RC card sticker.

No late fees was calculated/imposed as the Govt. has extended the validity of all vehicles' fitness till Dec 31.

Showed the form to the motor vehicle inspector - His assistant came for the inspection. Inspection was quick, but thorough.

Start vehicle, check the indicators, light, dim/dip, horn, brake light.. He had few comments on the rust on the front wheel spoke and the slight bent number plate in the front. Asked me to change/repair it later.

Asked me to take the pencil impression of chassis. This time it was relatively easy as I knew the tip (of applying a bit of petrol on the paper before taking the impression).

Took the file back to MVI and he signed/ and put his seal on it.

Took it back to the counter and collected the acknowledgement.

All over by 12:30pm. Just 2 hours of work.

Other observations:

The staff at the counters were younger and much more courteous and helpful. Saw that they were helping out of state people's doubts in English without getting irritated or adopting a surly attitude (Which was usually the case in these govt. establishments)

Mandatory covid check is done before they allow the person to enter the RTO. Don't know what is the use of this, as they are doing a RT-PCR test with swabs from the nose and throat. The results will be available only after 18 hours.. So what is the use of this ?

Two set of counters are set up for this and they do this for all before allowing them to get in. The process is simple and straightforward.

1) Give your mobile number
2) They register it, an OTP is sent to the mobile, which they ask for completing the registration. Two swabs are given and asked to move to a collecting area (which is just a chair put on the portico of the entrance).
3) a Health worker first collects the sample from the back of the throat and then collect the sample from inside the nostril.
4) An SMS comes to your mobile stating that the report will be available in 18 hours
5) They allow you to go inside the RTO.

Took about 15 minutes for this (with the wait time in the Q)

So if this check (covid) was not there, we can get the job done in less than 2 hours, which is quite good.

Conclusion : You definitely can do the RC renewal on your own. It is pretty straightforward and there is absolutely no reason why you need to use a broker for this.

Last edited by haria : 6th November 2020 at 20:49.
haria is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: RC / Fitness Renewal of a bike in under 2 hours without a broker

Quote:
Update for RC renewal of my 2nd bike

Just got the RC renewal process completed for another of my bike (Samurai) today (06/11/2020).

Thanks for the detailed post.

I have a 2000 model Suzuki Fiero registered in Kerala. The bike is in Bangalore and I am only using it around the apartment as the FC expired in 2015. Any idea if I can get the FC renewed in Bangalore now by paying fine or I need to take the bike back to Bangalore? I had paid the life time tax in Bangalore while I was using it here. Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Thanks for the detailed post.

I have a 2000 model Suzuki Fiero registered in Kerala. The bike is in Bangalore and I am only using it around the apartment as the FC expired in 2015. Any idea if I can get the FC renewed in Bangalore now by paying fine or I need to take the bike back to Bangalore? I had paid the life time tax in Bangalore while I was using it here. Thanks

I think you need to visit the original RTO or at least an RTO in the home state of registration..

When I went for the renewal of my wife's bike RC last year, it was at a different RTO in the same city - bangalore - still I had to get the records transferred to KR Puram RTO before the job could be done.

Secondly, the fines will be high - If I am not wrong, it is Rs.300 per month after expiry of RC for 2 wheelers and Rs.500 per month for 4 wheelers.

So it would come to about 3.6k per year. 5 years it will be more than 15k in fines!!

Do you have valid insurance for the bike ? If no, it will be very difficult to get insurance for a bike with expired RC. You need a valid insurance cover to apply for renewal of RC. So this can be a catch 22 situation.

One thing you might want to check out - Due to Covid 19, govt has automatically extended fitness till Dec 31. Not sure whether this includes vehicles whose fitness expired years before or only those which has an expiry in this year. You might want to check this out - if it is the former, then you use this window itself to get this job done.

I suggest you go to the RTO (nearest) and enquire there.

Another suggestion - don't even use the bike for short distance commuting also. The fines these days are too huge. Since there is no FC, and probably insurance, it is just not the worth the trouble and cost.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you go to the RTO (nearest) and enquire there.

Another suggestion - don't even use the bike for short distance commuting also. The fines these days are too huge. Since there is no FC, and probably insurance, it is just not the worth the trouble and cost.
I have been renewing the insurance and there is insurance. Karnataka road tax is also paid. I will check with the RTO nearby first.

By short distance, I mean the grocery store/ shops outside the apartment. I do not take it to the main road. Agree that it is risky with checking everywhere nowadays and hefty fines.

If the cost is high, I will not bother renewing the FC. It is a 20 year old bike and I would get 25k max after going through all the hassle. I will just transport the bike to kerala and keep it at my home there.

Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 9th November 2020 at 15:35.
Old 10th November 2020, 23:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I have been renewing the insurance and there is insurance. Karnataka road tax is also paid. I will check with the RTO nearby first.
I think you have been sinking money without any benefit on the insurance :-) - Insurance without a valid fitness certificate is not claimable/admissible.

Usually most insurance guys ask you to give a copy of the RC if the vehicle is more than 15+ years old. For instance when I renewed my bike's insurance this year, they asked me for the FC (it was still valid till july) So I could get the insurance renewed. The executive asked me to mail/scan the FC once it is renewed, for their records purpose.

Surprised that they didn't ask you for this. Their executive will be on a sticky wicket if any claim comes, because he/she will be questioned on how they can issue a policy without a valid RC/FC.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you have been sinking money without any benefit on the insurance :-) - Insurance without a valid fitness certificate is not claimable/admissible.

Usually most insurance guys ask you to give a copy of the RC if the vehicle is more than 15+ years old. For instance when I renewed my bike's insurance this year, they asked me for the FC (it was still valid till july) So I could get the insurance renewed. The executive asked me to mail/scan the FC once it is renewed, for their records purpose.

Surprised that they didn't ask you for this. Their executive will be on a sticky wicket if any claim comes, because he/she will be questioned on how they can issue a policy without a valid RC/FC.
I realized that FC is due for renewal only last year as I was occupied with some family emergency and out of Bangalore. Got further delayed because of pandemic. Feeling bad that should have done it on time as the bike is very well maintained. I had changed all the body parts, suspension etc.

I took the insurance online long back and have been renewing it online. Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Feeling bad that should have done it on time as the bike is very well maintained. I had changed all the body parts, suspension etc.

I took the insurance online long back and have been renewing it online. Thanks
I think this is a situation where it might be preferable to deal via an agent/broker.. Speak to the agent and if they can grease the works and get this done for say under 5k or so, it might be a good idea to take it up in this route.

You might want to check this out also. Speak to any driving school/free lancing agent in your area and discuss this. Note: DO NOT GIVE YOUR ORIGINALS to him during the discussion stage... Just a xerox that too a highly smudged xerox where the dtls are barely readable should be enough to get their opinion. - Why this ? There are cases where some rogue agents have used these documents to even effect sales or other tomfoolery. Once you have finalized the deal, then give the papers and follow it up very very diligently.
Old 12th November 2020, 14:30   #26
BHPian

I am actually looking at renewing a family scooter's FC. Ran into your thread by chance.

I could not locate the vehicle number on the Vaahan website, probably due to the lapsed registration.

Thank you for the useful information.
Old 13th November 2020, 10:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You might want to check this out also. Speak to any driving school/free lancing agent in your area and discuss this. Note: DO NOT GIVE YOUR ORIGINALS to him during the discussion stage... Just a xerox that too a highly smudged xerox where the dtls are barely readable should be enough to get their opinion. - Why this ? There are cases where some rogue agents have used these documents to even effect sales or other tomfoolery. Once you have finalized the deal, then give the papers and follow it up very very diligently.
I spoke to an agent in Bangalore. He says I need to renew the FC in Kerala and bring the bike back to Bangalore with NOC or sell the bike in Kerala. As the bike is registered outside and FC has lapsed, nothing can be done in Bangalore. He says there is no fine or time limit now for lapsed FC in any states, he just renewed a vehicle in Bangalore with FC lapsed 7 years back without paying any monthly fine. As per him, the minimum cost would be around 3500. I will try to get an agent in Kerala and discuss with him. Thanks a lot for your detailed replies.
Old 13th November 2020, 13:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to an agent in Bangalore. He says there is no fine or time limit now for lapsed FC in any states, he just renewed a vehicle in Bangalore with FC lapsed 7 years back without paying any monthly fine.
That's great. Probably the fines are removed because of covid or something like that. My friend paid around 5k in fines couple of years back when renewing FC for an expired car (About 14 months expired).

If your bike is in good shape and you want to retain it, I suggest you expedite this ASAP. As per the circular in June, upto 31 dec, the govt has waived off the fees. Who knows what will happen after that ?
Old 29th November 2020, 11:18   #29
BHPian

@Haria,

Need to renew my bike RC.
1. Bike is in my mother's name. Should I take her also along ?
2. Do they really check the RC Sticker ?

NOTE: I was able to pay the fee of Rs. 1187/- online in the month of September but for some odd reason application status was still (November) showing waiting for payment but money had been deducted from my bank. Sent an email on Wednesday 25th November to Vahan customer care (CC'ed Nitin Gadkari and few others) notifying the error. Got reply on Saturday 28th November stating the issue was resolved. Also got an SMS confirming the same. Now just need to go submit the documents. So yeah, online payment works but may need to seek help if it fails.

Thanks & Regards,
T-Bone.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:18   #30

I have successfully submitted my papers for the RC renewal for my car in KA 03 Kasturi Nagar RTO.

The following is the set of procedure that I followed based on couple of Team-BHP posts.

1. Filled up the Form 25 ( RC Renewal ) & Form 33 ( address change ) from the parivahaan website and also paid the fees online.

2. Carried the following documents:
a. RC original
b. Form 25
c. Form 33
d. PUC
e. Insurance Copy
f. Fees Paid Receipt.
g. Aadhar Copy ( self attested )

I walked in to the RTO office and did an enquiry and they directed me to the counters 15 and 16 on the ground floor at the far end . Here the papers are verified and we are asked to file the papers in a folder which needs to be purchased along with self addressed green cover with stamp.

Post verification we move the next counter where the seal is placed for online payment or we can pay the fees for the people who have opted for paying at the counter.

Post this we need to pay Rs 74 for smart card of RC and then we are asked to proceed for the Vehicle inspection.

The motor vehicle inspector checks the car and we need to get a pencil impression of our chassis on the Form 25 for the vehicle inspector to sign. The vehicle inspection happens for two wheelers and cars in the street opposite to the RTO.

Post the signature from the vehicle inspector we can carry the forms and submit to the counter from where we started in first which is either of counters from 15 to 18.

Following is the best practice guide that I could think of post my experience.

Things to carry

1. RC Original
2. PUC
3. Form 25
4.Form 33 ( only for address change )
5.Insurance Copy
6. Fees Paid receipt ( if done online payment)
7. Pen
8.Glue stick
9.Small punching machine
10. Pencil , eraser and sharpener.
11. Water bottle ( very much needed during summer time )
12. I carried two passport size photos ( this is not needed is what I understood after going there ).
13. Aadhar Card copy ( self attested ).

Things to buy outside RTO office:

1. Green envelope with stamp - 30 Rs
2. File for submitting the papers ( here the punching machine will be useful in punching and tying your papers up ).- 20Rs
4. Small zip lock plastic cover for storing your RC smart card. ( We will have to use this plastic cover to tie up the RC card in the file ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks