Team-BHP - The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/210123-honda-activa-125-fi-bs-vi-scooter-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4603730)
Activa has always been a pain to start in the mornings, and the problem has persisted over generations. My Hero Maestro had inherited this issue as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4603822)
HET or non-HET? We own a 2005 model clocked 34K, way too less, yet has been a near zero trouble until now. It has been more than abused in all these years, yet hasn't given up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn (Post 4603898)
...which is why we face starting trouble in the morning if the vehicle is not regularly used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 4603908)
The solution is to tune the carburettor a bit rich if it is possible. Check in the manual or a mechanic on how to do that.

Also, use the "choke" without operating the accelerator during cold starts. This will enrich the mixture and help start faster.

I have a 2016 Activa 125 (HET) and I can't tell you how much I hate that scooter for the starting troubles it puts me through when I want to use it.

It takes a minimum of 35-40 kicks with 'choke' and it just doesn't start.

I've changed the spark plug, opened and cleaned the carburettor, tuned the mixture to slightly richer than the factory set tune. Changed the pilot jet also, 'O'-rings (all OEM parts only) but still no use. After letting it idle for 3 days and I come back to start it, 30 kicks with choke are a minimum.

Talking about it, just 3 days back, quoting my own post from the Activa 125 ownership thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4600036)
The scooter's been idle for over a month now IIRC and hope it starts tomorrow without any drama. Giving the Creta a much-needed break after completing a 3,300 kms road trip.

It took me 47 kicks (10 kicks with ignition OFF) and rest with choke pulled. Thumb the starter and no use. Magically it just started after trying a lot. :Frustrati

Petrol lid is a big improvement for sure, (only reading it now). They're also going to offer a whopping 6 years warranty on the product. Now, that's an unbeatable proposition. Honda Activa has come a long way, from being a pioneer which set the segment on fire - to heralding the next wave of BS6 engines.

But the press release uses the dreaded word 'BS6 COMPLIANT' (It's like saying HD ready in Televisions). Does that mean some work is still needed further on, to make it BS6?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandras1 (Post 4603999)
petrol tank lid is now positioned outside the boot

Would BS6 mean end of carb 2 wheelers? Suzuki has also moved to FI on their GS 150/250 bikes to make them BS6 compatible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4604031)
Would BS6 mean end of carb 2 wheelers?

Heard from a fellow enthusiast that Splendor NXG was cleared for BS6 and the rest would follow suite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS80 (Post 4603766)
Wow, this will certainly sell like hot cakes. Activa always had its strong fan following, especially with the work & family oriented crowd. If I am right, this would be India's first FI scooter. Hopefully should give better throttle response post 60kmph, although not many would ride at that speed.

Existing Activa 125 is priced @ 85K+ on road Bangalore, so expect this to hit the 6 digit figure.

1 lakh + on road price for a conventional scooter with incremental tweaks and changes seem a lot of an ICE Engine.:Shockked: If this is the direction that price of two wheelers are going post BS-VI , suddenly EVs seems to make sense now, economically!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4604010)

It took me 47 kicks (10 kicks with ignition OFF) and rest with choke pulled. Thumb the starter and no use. Magically it just started after trying a lot. :Frustrati

Ha! Ha! So I am in good company.

If I use it everyday and if the weather is warm mine takes around 10-15 kicks in the mornings. If it is cold then 15-20 kicks. If not used for more than three days add 15 more kicks.

Compared to this, my wife's puny little Scooty Pep+ starts with one self push, no matter what the weather is. She reaches her office by the time my kicking ritual is over.

Finally we have some updates to the Honda lineup and a bigger step compared to the earlier face-lifts comprising of cosmetic changes mainly. The introduction of fuel injection too is a welcome move, thankfully they didnt go ahead and detune the engine for BS6. I am waiting for Honda to upgrade the Dio after which like many others here I will replace the old one with a new Dio. Initially thought of going electric with Ather but somehow I wasnt convinced with it.
With my Dio 110, I have never ever used the kick starter except when draining oil, and cold/warm starts were always electric. Cold starts used to take around five seconds of cranking which is my limit for one start. But it would start without issues. Funny thing is that inspite of this practice, the battery is still fine after seven years and 25k kms :D However I did play around with the carb many years ago and it runs a bit richer than usual, IIRC half a turn or so.
So with this no nonsense experience with the Dio, its time for another one. Hopefully the power output should be slightly better and it should come with better forks and brakes.

OT: I was in the market for a 125cc scooter for my wife. We visited many multi-bike/brand showrooms to have a look at what the market offers. One common theme that emerged is that none of these dealers recommended the Activa 125 or the Grazia 125.
It was either the Access or the Ntorq.

The pricing is a few thousands more than the Access too, however I liked its LED lights and the meter console.

Quote:

Maybe, just maybe, try tilting the scooter like the old Bajaj ones !!! Who knows what might work lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4604019)
Petrol lid is a big improvement for sure, (only reading it now). They're also going to offer a whopping 6 years warranty on the product. Now, that's an unbeatable proposition. Honda Activa has come a long way, from being a pioneer which set the segment on fire - to heralding the next wave of BS6 engines.

The longer warranty is a way to make more money on the servicing. For scooters, they make you service it like once very quarter (if I'm not mistaken) to keep the warranty intact.

Under normal circumstances, once every 6 months or even annual is enough depending on the usage and weather conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiren.mistry (Post 4604351)
OT: I was in the market for a 125cc scooter for my wife. We visited many multi-bike/brand showrooms to have a look at what the market offers. One common theme that emerged is that none of these dealers recommended the Activa 125 or the Grazia 125.
It was either the Access or the Ntorq.

The pricing is a few thousands more than the Access too, however I liked its LED lights and the meter console.

A scooter mechanic I know also advised us against buying the 125 Activa. According to him the engine has some reliability issues. Maybe it's anecdotal but he is an experienced chap and his advice is worth noting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiren.mistry (Post 4604351)
One common theme that emerged is that none of these dealers recommended the Activa 125 or the Grazia 125.

+

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 4604474)
A scooter mechanic I know also advised us against buying the 125 Activa.

During a search for OEM parts for my Activa 125 like a clutch liner, rollers, plastic retaining clips and drive belt, etc 60% of the Honda Spares counters in Hyderabad never had the stock available. I was asked to wait for 6 days to get the parts.

When asking why this lack in inventory, their reply was - "Who buys the Activa 125 compared to the regular Activa Saar for us to stock parts. You want for Activa 110, you'll get in 5 minutes". :Frustrati

I had to send a complaint + parts request via Honda's website for the parts and after 11 days, I got them.

Also, I tried checking for OEM parts at few aftermarket stockists but every store that I went sent me off when they heard Activa '125'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashishnb (Post 4604433)
Maybe, just maybe, try tilting the scooter like the old Bajaj ones !!! Who knows what might work.

I've tried that too. Doesn't help.lol:

Experts feel free to correct me.

On scooters if I'm not wrong there's a vacuum operated fuel tap, you guys could have a look at that since Anurag has already mentioned that he tried richening AFR which turned unfruitful.

For the sake of experimenting you could bypass this for a couple of days and see if it improves starting, if it does buy me a beer and go for an alternative from another scooter. :)

Just to be clear my presumption is that motorcycle isn't starting due to lack of adequate fuel, because if that weren't the issue you'd all get Gasoline High from sniffing in those vapours when turning the motor so many times without firing. :D

Cheers,
A.P.

I have a 2017 BS IV Activa 4G. It makes a knocking sound when accelerating from slow speeds up to say 40kmph. The guys over at Honda's service centres say this is normal for HET engines. As for the starting trouble, mine needs 5-10 kicks if not used at least every alternate day. It used to die on me when slowed down at junctions initially, the folks at the service centre even have a name for this "slow speed stop"! That rarely happens now. Hope Honda manages to solve the starting trouble, I used an Access for a couple of months, that thing could start even if unused for months on end!

Quote:

If I use it everyday and if the weather is warm mine takes around 10-15 kicks in the mornings. If it is cold then 15-20 kicks. If not used for more than three days add 15 more kicks.

Compared to this, my wife's puny little Scooty Pep+ starts with one self push, no matter what the weather is. She reaches her office by the time my kicking ritual is over.

Did you try changing the fuel cap and engine oil. Try Motul Jaso MB once.

Thanks
Rahul

Contrary to most of the comments here, here my experience with my activa.
Mine is 2004 model and till today, I never had to use the kick start. Initial 3 years, it ran for around 18k kms and since then around 9k kms. In last couple of years, it is hardly used. Sometimes, I had to start it after more than a month’s use. Even then, I just need to use the choke and it will start with 4-5 button press. I haven’t done any modifications to my scooter.