Team-BHP - The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/210123-honda-activa-125-fi-bs-vi-scooter-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulskumar (Post 4604620)
Did you try changing the fuel cap and engine oil. Try Motul Jaso MB once.

Fuel cap hasn't been changed. Oil is as per specification though I use the one by Veedol for scooters.

My Activa is 2015 vintage (just prior 3g model). I use it for 5-6 kms daily. I have also had enough and more occasions to use it after a gap of 3-4 weeks. I have never had a single issue of difficulty of starting in the mornings. The only grouse I have had is post parking in the rain. The water seems to seep in the instrument console eliciting a faint buzzing sound (from the indicator I guess). Thereafter, I have starting issues to overcome which I have to use the choke.

Honda is calling it 'the quiet revolution', but it's so quiet that even the dealers are unaware of its launch. :uncontrol

So like a fool I trundled into Saphire Honda Showroom on Kanakpura Road hoping to make a downpayment and get the first scooter, but the staff have not heard of this launch. And I didn't have any patience to educate them, so walked out. The indifference is shocking. They firmly know that whatever Honda launches will sell anyways, so 'why be in the know'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4604651)
Honda is calling it 'the quiet revolution', but it's so quiet that even the dealers are unaware of its launch. :uncontrol

So like a fool I trundled into Saphire Honda Showroom on Kanakpura Road hoping to make a downpayment and get the first scooter, but the staff have not heard of this launch. And I didn't have any patience to educate them, so walked out. The indifference is shocking. They firmly know that whatever Honda launches will sell anyways, so 'why be in the know'?

I think its a media unveil and dealers might get info about the model slightly later, with the pricing info as well. And it could also be that the dealers are waiting to clear the existing stock. Honda seemed to have learnt a serious lesson after the BS4 fiasco and have worked on this product much earlier than the deadline to avoid the mess that they did last year when BS4 kicked in for two wheelers. So they can still take their time to clear out all the existing stock and then bring this one to sale.

I do think we need a separate thread for the starting problem of activa.

Since I have both a 2015 HET 125cc and a Non-HET 2010, 110cc engine versions and the respected service manuals.

The first 110cc aviator that I had Initially had the starting problem and battery used to get depleted in 6 to 12months time.
Both the aviator and activa since 2010 use a 3AH Gel battery. The model I would recommend to replace is a XLTZ5, this battery is slightly taller you will need to slightly bend to straigten the battery holder clamp (a piece of removable metal held by a long screw).
This XLTZ5 4ah lasted me from 2013 to 2018.

For the 2015 Activa 125cc which is even more prone to starting issue. I have replaced the orginal battery with a XLTZ7 this is twice the capacity as the original stock battery(2.5ah to 3ah), this battery is even taller. So you will need to bend the clamp to as straight as possible and also use a longer bolt.

Another problem in the Activa 125 disc version is that, it take a much harder press of the brake lever button to make the starter relay click. To remedy this, one will need to remove the brake lever bolt and slide away the lever and then trim the plastic as shown in the below image from the starter switch, there two such switches in rear break lever, one is for the starter relay and the other for the rear brake light, so you need to do it for the starter switch. Do not do this if you don't have this problem or on older scooters which are already worn out.

This above solution is for those who do not want a drop in fuel efficiency but can use the electrical starter for longer and several times.

My 2010 aviator Non-HET version starts instantly and it was tuned by honda service center to a richer setting, it also gives lower fuel economy. This was done some time in 2011, will have to revisit the setting for a more optimum compromise between fuel efficiency and instant start.

I also have the factory carburetor settings from the service manuals for 110cc, 110HET and 125 HET, so for those people who need to experiment with changing the mixture to rich (you have a reference to return to stock value, should things go wrong).

Will post them in a separate thread or if such a thread already exists. Since this thread is about the new Fuel injected scooter.

I'm eagerly looking to change my 2014 Activa HET which has run a mere 20k kms. In terms of reliability, there were no niggles or any cold start issues. It is a perfect example of fill it, shut it, forget it.
There is no strong reason to buy a new scooter apart from the fact that my daily run has increased from 10 kms to 50 kms which is taking a toll on my back and a good suspension is a must now. Will the new BS VI compliant machine have a significantly better suspension as compared to the HET model?
Also had a TD of the Access 125 and the Burgman. Access 125 had a weird seating position for my well built 6 feet frame. The Burgman ticked the boxes well, but with it's puny rear tyre makes it's bulky body look out of proportion.
Really confused which scooter should I go for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4604586)
On scooters if I'm not wrong there's a vacuum operated fuel tap.

For the sake of experimenting you could bypass this for a couple of days and see if it improves starting,

Where is this tap? Can you explain a bit more on how to bypass it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4604586)
Just to be clear my presumption is that motorcycle isn't starting due to lack of adequate fuel, because if that weren't the issue you'd all get Gasoline High from sniffing in those vapours when turning the motor so many times without firing.

Seems to have a point here. Lack of petrol flow could be the reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordday (Post 4605071)
Where is this tap? Can you explain a bit more on how to bypass it?

This is what the things looks like, it would be on the underside of the fuel tank.

The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter-pecock.jpeg

On scooters it is activated by the vacuum from the engine, for comparison this is the manual one on regular motorcycles.

The Honda Activa 125 FI BS-VI scooter-petcock_honda_motorcycle__24665.1358548524.1280.1280.jpg

Either you could get an alternative from another scooter or simply find a motorcycle petcock with matching thread to replace the vacuum operated one on yours to see if the petcock is the cause of all concerns.

My bet is on it as otherwise a factory tuned machine without any air-leaks should by no means need more than 2~3 kicks at max with the choke on. In 30k+ km's I've only had to use the choke 'ONCE' to start my CT100B when I started the motorcycle after a night spent in Behror, Rajasthan, otherwise a kick or two would get the job done without the Choke i.e unless left idle for over a month.

Do share updates for the benefit of the others.

And I hope everyone knows that the kick-starter is only for emergencies on modern motorcycles, especially the likes of scooters that need adequate vacuum to derestrict the petcock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4603730)
Will be interesting to see if this works.

AFAIK - Activa has always been a pain to start in the mornings, and the problem has persisted over generations. My Hero Meastro had inherited this issue as well.

Same is true with our Honda Aviator. One of my friends, has given quite a working solution. Steps are as follows:
1. Open the petrol tank cap and close after 5 seconds (he says air must go inside)
2. Tilt the scooter towards the side of the kick lever for 5 seconds (Hamara Bajaj style). My neighbour calls my scooter as Bajaj Aviator lol:
3. Park the scooter on main stand
4. Pull out the choke & either use self or kick start, whatever you wish. I recommend kick start in morning. It takes a bit longer but your battery doesn't drain

Scooter starts in 1-2 mins using this technique. I have even started Suzuki Access 125 which was standing 1 month in parking, using this technique.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong somewhere, but this technique has worked for me 90% of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbodude (Post 4605666)
Same is true with our Honda Aviator. One of my friends, has given quite a working solution.

I've tried all these steps except tilting the scooter in 'Bajaj-style' - no use. Just doesn't start.

I have my doubts on the carburettor or that vacuum thing.

I bought a 2nd hand 2010 non HET Activa last year and touchwood it hasn't had any starting issue even after remaining idle for several days. Electric start stopped in the first month because the battery had run down but it works fine after that. Even with kickstart it comes on in 3-4 kicks max. No idea what is different between this model and the HET 3g which came out a few months later

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4604010)
I have a 2016 Activa 125 (HET) and I can't tell you how much I hate that scooter for the starting troubles it puts me through when I want to use it.

It takes a minimum of 35-40 kicks with 'choke' and it just doesn't start.

I've changed the spark plug, opened and cleaned the carburettor, tuned the mixture to slightly richer than the factory set tune. Changed the pilot jet also, 'O'-rings (all OEM parts only) but still no use. After letting it idle for 3 days and I come back to start it, 30 kicks with choke are a minimum.

Talking about it, just 3 days back, quoting my own post from the Activa 125 ownership thread:

It took me 47 kicks (10 kicks with ignition OFF) and rest with choke pulled. Thumb the starter and no use. Magically it just started after trying a lot. :Frustrati

I had a KH that started instantly every time till I gave it to Advaith A S S for service, where they stole the autochoke (or whatever it was called).

My scooter starting problem occurs if I don't use my scooter for a week or so. What's worked for my 1st gen Aviator is to operate the choke and kick without first operating the electric start. Operating the electric start will deplete the charge and voltage making further efforts harder.

:OT
But, Anurag, if you couldn't figure it out, how can we mere mortals even hope to fix this issue? lol:
I strongly suggest Honda buy up your scooter and get to the root cause. It would benefit humankind.

I was waiting for a suitable model to upgrade from my 4 year old TVS Scooty Zest, and came across this Activa 125. Since i wanted a vehicle with better emission (Zest was BS III) ,I decided to wait for Activa 125 BSVI. I visited nearby Honda dealer, and as usual, they had no clue whatsoever!, instead they were trying to sell me BSIV version. Then i had to educate them about upcoming A125 BS VI so that they'll stop selling BSIV version! LOL
Currently they are not sure when the vehicle will be available ( internet says that it will be launched somewhere in September!)
Also i am worried about the BS VI fuel availability above all other things!

Hey guys,

I am getting a discount offer of Rs.5k/- for 2018 model Honda Shine SP. Is it worth/good to go for 2018 model bike now? Any suggestions?
Mods: Don't know where to post this message. If not the right place, please move accordingly.

Thanks,

Ramki

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 4636575)
I am getting a discount offer of Rs.5k/- for 2018 model Honda Shine SP. Is it worth/good to go for 2018 model bike now? Any suggestions?

Quite fishy for a Honda bike to be lying in stock from the last eight months at least(considering the bike is Dec 18 make). I think there is some reason this bike was not sold. Better avoid it. 5k is nothing if you plan to keep it for a long time.