Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 02:42   #31
BHPian

Re: UM Motorcycles - The way forward?

About 2 years ago, I had an opportunity to ride a UM Renegade Commando. If it were to wipe out any memory of Uml and just focus on the bike, I would say the following -

1. It looks good. Not doubt.
2. When I did ride it, it did not feel heavy/bulky like the feel of an Enfield. It felt more like a big between Enfield and Avenger.

3. Plastics! There were a few broken bits but I didn't think too much of it.
4. At the price point incl heavy road tax in Bangalore, the only thing on my mind was why not go in for an Enfield.

Basically, I didn't know a Company called uml existed. And the impression the company made on me was all because of this bike.

There wasn't anything special. It's neither an avenger nor an Enfield. I dont think there is a market for cruiser bikes between Enfield and Avenger. I am not talking about the price. But the feels and experience or something that can impress.

Unless ofcourse a bike with a solid heritage, agility of an Avenger and feel of a Thunderbird came into picture, it isn't going to sell. Just my two cents.

What do you feel ?
Shashwat B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 13:25   #32
BHPian

My first impression of a UM bike was that it looked like assembled at local garage with all the wielding and different looking totally out of place. That was when the bike was stationary. While moving, the noise was more than the Mahindra champion 3 wheeler which is used to carry goods. That also sounds much better than UM bikes. The fit and finish also look totally weird. Not sure what was the segment that they were trying to cater. In my opinion, all Chinese products are like that only. The impression that comes to my mind is that whenever you want a manufacturer to wrap up its business from India, get some Chinese designs(remember GM when they brought Sail twins). i just hope this has nothing to do with the current trade incompatibility between china and the US and it has begun spilling over to Europe as well. Huawei is already facing hurdles in India. Many Chinese companies are also facing the heat.
Old 6th July 2019, 16:52   #33
BHPian

My brother-in-law once rode a friends' 500km old UM(dont remember the model) from Dehradun to Mussoorie. To sum up his experience, he just wanted to do the owner a favor by throwing the bike off a cliff.

First saw UM products in Auto Expo few years back. None of its products deserved a second glance.

Now from what we can see on wikipedia, UM was never a design and manufacturing company, but a distribution company that entered US market in 1997 and exited in 2010. Nothing in there tells about any notable achievements/history either in terms of design, product or sports achievement. For all that matters it may be small-time Chinese manufacturer trying to enter new markets riding on the back of a brand that had at some point of time a (long-forgotten) presence in the US market.

I think, its generous of Team-bhp to even allow a thread on it.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

UM motorcycles will resume sales by festive season later this year & have dismissed rumours of a split between partners.

Source news
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 21:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
UM motorcycles will resume sales by festive season later this year & have dismissed rumours of a split between partners.

Source news
Don't see any business sense in it. Both the Manufacturer as well as for its Dealer Partners
Old 12th August 2019, 08:50   #36
BHPian

UM Motorcycles To Restart India Operations In Festive Season; New Models Expected @ GTO - merge?

UM Motorcycles to restart sales this year, company undergoes restructuring:

Sales of American bike brand UM Motorcycles will restart by Diwali this year allaying fears of yet another exit by an automotive brand from India.

The joint venture (JV) of UM Motorcycles and Lohia Auto is currently undergoing a restructuring exercise due to which no sales of UM products have happened since April this year, as per data published with the apex lobby body of automobile players.

Related: UM Chill 150 scooter launching in second-half of 2019

Last edited by marcussantiago : 12th August 2019 at 08:54. Reason: formatting
Old 11th October 2019, 14:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I test rode this motorcycle in the early days. It was a rather Stupid motorcycle and was bound to fail. I felt i was sitting on some industrial generator or borewell pump, such funny sounds it made and the parts, fit and finish etc were all so cheap so as to cut the price as much as possible. It was a really cheap effort and indians are no fools..
I too test rode the bike. There were sounds of rattling, speedometer cable ofcourse was disconnected, the engine seemed to be straining (prominent knocking sound), somehow the feel was just too bad to digest.
Old 11th October 2019, 14:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

UM Motorcycles suspends operations in India.

Quote:
Following reports of several UM Motorcycles showrooms shutting down in India, it is learnt that American bikemaker UM Motorcycles has stopped its operations in India and that the joint venture with Lohia Auto looks to be strained. With this, it joins the list of automakers to exit India which includes GM and MAN Trucks.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th October 2019 at 14:51.
Old 27th November 2019, 15:40   #39
BHPian

https://www.quora.com/Any-idea-about...even-Wikipedia

I found this very interesting on Quora. The guy has taken a picture of their so called head office which is something like a business center. Seems that we Indians were taken for a royal ride by some Colombian scamsters.
(Editor's please delete if this news is already posted).
car love is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks