Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 08:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke

Dominar is a fuel guzzler, take my word for it. It would return anything between 25 to 28 km/l
I am not sure about duke 250.
So take your decision.
If I would have been in your place then I would have gone for R15 v3. Excellent mileage in city when you ride around 4k-5k rpm
On highways 6th gear is a breeze for cruising at 80-90 km/l with super efficiency. And not to forget about those fun moments you would get while cornering and long turns (if you get them on highways).
Old 28th June 2019, 16:41   #17
BHPian

Just wondering why no one has mentioned FZ 25, I tagged along with my friend when he was shopping for a bike and for me, it was the best of the lot.
Old 28th June 2019, 20:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
Just wondering why no one has mentioned FZ 25, I tagged along with my friend when he was shopping for a bike and for me, it was the best of the lot.
Because performance wise its more of a 200cc bike rather than a 250cc or 390cc
Old 29th June 2019, 14:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I have a daily running of 100 kms out of which 70 kms is in a four lane highway and 35 kms is in a medium traffic city. So fuel efficiency is also important.Will the seat height be a problem in traffic with pillon?
Let me put a different prespective. For how long are you planning to do this commute? Looks like you would have a pillion, probably your wife, along as well. Have you thought about the toll it is going to take on you folks to do a 100Km bike journey on a daily basis? Not the dangers associsted with motorcycle trave, but the physical strain and time lost, at least 4 hours considering Kerala traffic. The journey would be even more treacherous during the rainy season and summers. If I were in your place, I would consider shifting to place near work, and if that is not feacible, use public transport.
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 17:41   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Because performance wise its more of a 200cc bike rather than a 250cc or 390cc
Stroke/Bore to Compute Low End Performance:

Duke 250: 0.85
FZ25: 0.78
Dominar 400: 0.67

The FZ25 comes in between the Duke and Dominar when it comes to Low End Performance which is critical for riding in the South of Kerala, cause even the 4 Lane's OP mentioned about can merely be compared to the better laid out ghat sections of WB.

The lower the value the more you'd be cracking open the throttle in lower gears, which can be fun for short bursts but would get boring for someone who hauls 3~5k km's per month.

Even the other day while going to visit the mechanic who undertook our ZMA restoration I met someone who traded their Dominar for a CBR 300R(0.83) for the same reason, he's not an enthusiast but he cracks about 1k km's a week.

There are several other factors to consider such as displacement, compression ratio, gearing etc but this is a good reference point to start from.

I used to ride a Discover 100 4G(1.15) before I traded it for my P220(0.93) I was totally disappointed by the way the P220 made torque as within Kerala I rarely used the 4th cog and never used the 5th unless I was commuting back to Bangalore.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 19:10   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Stroke/Bore to Compute Low End Performance:

Duke 250: 0.85
FZ25: 0.78
Dominar 400: 0.67

The FZ25 comes in between the Duke and Dominar when it comes to Low End Performance which is critical for riding in the South of Kerala.

The lower the value the more you'd be cracking open the throttle in lower gears, which can be fun for short bursts but would get boring for someone who hauls 3~5k km's per month.
So you meant that the Duke 250 is a better option than FZ25 in Kerala roads? Is it due to higher BHP or due to Bore to stroke ratio?

The FZ25 is having a good low-end torque for its power and is known to be a good city bike and I've heard reviewers comparing it to Duke 250 that its a better city bike than Duke 250 due to its low end. I'm confused
Old 9th July 2019, 20:10   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
So you meant that the Duke 250 is a better option than FZ25 in Kerala roads? Is it due to higher BHP or due to Bore to stroke ratio?

The FZ25 is having a good low-end torque for its power and is known to be a good city bike and I've heard reviewers comparing it to Duke 250 that its a better city bike than Duke 250 due to its low end. I'm confused
Final selection would depend on several other variables predominantly gearing but as far as tractability is concerned the Duke 250 surpases the FZ25, even though by a small margin nonetheless, in spite of the latter clocking better 0~60 timings.

The impact the cylinder dimensions have on tractability is something that is not so evident both on paper as well as drag runs yet quite noticeable when commuting, the best example would be in comparing the CBR250R to the R15, the CBR weighs about 20kgs more and the R15 lacks about 100cc in displacement along with power and torque figures, yet the R15 has a stronger and more consistent mid end feel.

Which again is something that a few seasoned owners of both motorcycles would not agree with as the same does not go in line with their logic in spite of unbiased first time as well as more experienced riders confirming the same.

A closer and more apt comparison would be between the P220 and ZMA as the displacement, weight and power figures are in the similar ball park, yet we know that the ZMA has a better(for city use) torque spread than the P220 which is due to its cylinder configuration as the remaining factors remain more or less the same.

So would I choose a motorcycle for our riding conditions solely based on its cylinder configuration? Maybe not, that is unless a stark contrast is present.

But then it would be a good starting point.

Just for fun you could look up the specs of the CBR250R and the P220 then go ahead and have a look at the video posted by the Wroom Couple (who're used to riding the CBR250R) riding the P220, the short gist of which is that they find the P220 to have a stronger low end in comparison, again something the average rider(myself included as I've been lamenting the same on mine for ages) would find hard to digest.

Here's the video:

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 9th July 2019 at 20:19.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 18:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
If I would have been in your place then I would have gone for R15 v3. Excellent mileage in city when you ride around 4k-5k rpm
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Let me put a different prespective. For how long are you planning to do this commute? L
The reason op isn't considering anymore bikes is because he has already made a decision and even bought a Dominar 400.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2020 at 16:21. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 14:53   #24
BHPian

Took delivery of my Dominar 400 savanna green on 11-07-2019. I have completed 500 kms and the first service was done. Happy with the bike. Performance is good but can only say correctly after the boring running in period of 2000 kms. I have posted 2 screenshots. One with maximum speed 60 km is from the manual of 2019 version. Old version Dominar had a more liberal and sensible running in period with a maximum speed of 73 kmph in 6th gear. In 6th gear at 60 km the engine rpm is at 3000 km which is almost close to lugging the engine. So better not to shift to 6th if you are riding at 60 to 65kmph. The photo of display showing a fuel efficiency of 36 was during a trip of 100 kms with 70 km highway and 30 km in medium traffic town at a speed of maximum 60 to 65kmph with soft accelerations. On 2 other days I got 33, 34 kmpl on the same route. Suspension was a bit stiff on uneven roads at delivery time. But now I feel that it has softened a bit . The headlight is very good. Once you get the hang of the bike, can easily chuck it around in the city. But when you push it in parking lots , you would feel the weight (184 kerb weight). The exhaust note is good to hear but I think it is more louder than older version. Personally I like quieter exhausts. If the side-stand is down the bike shuts down when you try to ride the bike. Its a good feature to have. In town there isn't noticeable heating from the engine side.

Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke-img_20190713_162453_beauty.jpg

Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke-screenshot_2019_07_17_14_22_37.jpg

Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke-screenshot_2019_07_17_14_24_38.jpg

Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke-img_20190712_143129_beauty.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2019 at 17:03. Reason: Quote fixed. Pictures inserted in-line.
fireblade007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 15:18   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Took delivery of my dominar 400 savanna green on 11-07-2019.
Congratulations!

Though I'd recommend going by manufacturers recommendation if uncertain, I'll simply share my 2Rs on the matter.

Having cross checked several manuals of the same motor made for Indian and International makes of the same engine on older motorcycles I've realized that the per gear speed limitation is only present for the Indian market which I presume is taking into consideration the overall knowledge and common sense gap present in such 3rd world countries.

The run-in a per manufacturer recommendation would be to moderately use throttle restricting RPM's to not exceed peak torque RPM all the while not letting revs drop so low that the motorcycle would lug as lugging can cause undue wear and tear.

While riding it is recommended to keep varying RPM's and avoiding riding at constant RPM's.

In my CT100B's manual the recommended speed for 4th gear was 40kmph but fact is with my weight I couldn't even shift to 4th without crossing 50kmph if I wanted to prevent the engine from knocking, hence it's best to let common sense prevail on this front.

And just for informations sake, on modern machines the run in is said to be there to advise new riders to gradually get a hang of a new motorcycle as its safer that way.

Personally after my first motorcycle in 2011, every motorcycle I've owned since was broken in using my own ritual and all of them have been interstate runners without breaking a sweat, that sums to 4 motorcycles I've broken in against ownership manual recommendation. So in short don't worry too much about what the manual says, as at times maintaining low speeds in high gear can not only put undue load on internals but can also be a safety hazard for the rider given tricky situations.

Plus, the engine doesn't care what speeds you do, all it cares about is the RPM, and IIRC the actual breaking in happening within the first 15kms of riding.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 10:29   #26

Quote:
Took delivery of my Dominar 400 in savanna green on 11-07-2019. I have completed 500 kms and the first service was done. Happy with the bike.
Hi fireblade007, Could you please guide me as to what factors contributed to you choosing the Dominar over the Duke 250 in the end. I am in the same dilemma and unlike you, I haven't been able to make a decision on this? One thing that crosses my mind everytime I think of going for Dominar is that Bajaj sources the engines for their Dominars from KTM if I am not mistaken, and what if something happens and they are no longer able to do this if their tie up with KTM gets over, what would happen to the existing Dominar owners as in would they still be able to maintain their bikes? I am looking for a long term motorcycle here which I can use for a longish duration as I do not like changing my motorcycles that often. I am a sedate rider but I'd still like to go on those highway runs occasionally which I am unable to manage on my CL350 right now because of which I am trying to make a switch. Any help in making my decision based on my requirements would be appreciated...

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2019 at 17:03. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 25th July 2019, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK07Rider View Post
Hi fireblade007, Could you please guide me as to what factors contributed to you choosing the Dominar over the Duke 250 in the end. I am in the same dilemma and
Hi, Dominar is more value for money. You get more power for the money you give. Dominar is cheaper. Dominar has better lights than duke 250. Foot peg position in dominar is more forward set as compared to duke 250 and hence more relaxed. I met a Dominar rider on highway who said that he is getting a fuel efficiency of 30 plus on highway if you are riding it in a relaxed manner. Seat height in dominar is lower than duke. The only negative points regarding dominar is that it is heavier, which makes it a little difficult to push around in tight parking spaces and probably you could get better fuel efficiency in duke considering the lower engine capacity and power. I don't think spares will be a issue even if bajaj ktm ties end.

Last edited by fireblade007 : 25th July 2019 at 15:11.
fireblade007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful alternative according to me is the Yamaha MT-15.

Its basically a Naked and much more Comfortable R15 V3. Its got the wonderful motor + the Awesome Perimeter Frame / Chassis of the R15 V3; with much more comfortable ergonomics.

Last edited by payeng : 25th July 2019 at 17:20.
Old 25th July 2019, 17:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
A wonderful alternative according to me is the Yamaha MT-15.

Its basically a Naked and much more Comfortable R15 V3. Its got the wonderful motor + the Awesome Perimeter Frame / Chassis of the R15 V3; with much more comfortable ergonomics.
Cant hold a candle to either Duke 250 or Donimar400 on the highway which UK07rider is looking for.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:43   #30

2019 Bajaj Dominar price hiked yet again, is it still a value for money proposition?

Most Viewed