Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2019, 11:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo

Superb thread. Here is wishing you many more happy miles on the Mojo.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 11:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo

Superb thread - reading such an involving thread after a long time. 5 Stars rated.

I am certainly an exception, but I kind of liked that long beak look - made the bike looked really mean

Dual purpose tires from TimSun or any other brand will certainly add to the character.

Kudos to your enthusiasm and DIY spirit and wish you both countless troublefree miles.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 13:29   #18
BHPian

@AlQuazi,

Welcome to TeamBhp,

Great Mods and narration, enjoyed reading it, the bike looks tastefully done. Kudos for the efforts and persistence in finding the right people for the mods creating a ride that suits you.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 14:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

The joy that surrounds when reacting to a thread like this, such lovely one, this. I am surprised to see, the Himalayan looks bleak in comparison to this 'MoJo JoJo". The side fairings blend in neatly with the cluster and the fuel tank. How are the vibes? Are there any vibration or buzz that you're observing post the new side fibers?

Keep it coming. A big thumbs up from my side.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 17:58   #20
BANNED

A superbly written post on a largely ignored motorcycle. The quality of the narration does Team-bhp credit.
I am amazed at the persistence and attention to detail in the work and the narrative.
Kudos to the author.
I am, however, not a fan of the added bulk and beak. Looks, but then, are always subjective.
fiestarry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 19:49   #21
BHPian

I usually don’t follow Bike threads but this one is an exception for sure. 5* thread!

Just loved the way all the mods are done keeping your need and taste in mind and not just for the heck of it! The bike has transformed post the fairing.

I wish you keep the bike for many many years and munch countless miles!! This one is a keeper now!!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 23:19   #22
BHPian

Thank you guys for the overwhelming response! I am glad you are liking the build. I did for a moment think that the posts are getting too descriptive. But who are we kidding! This is Team BHP. No such thing as too much detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
This is a 5* thread. After a long time I am seeing a build quite like this. Very importantly the motorcycle still looks very good. Would be even better once you have a windscreen. Kudos!
Yes. Hopefully then, the Tiger look I'm trying to ape will be achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
Superb modification. Just how I had imagined Mojo facelift would look like (in case Mahindra is still interested ). Looks like spiritual successor to the Karizma to some extent.
The ideal Mojo facelift should have a better reflector design. The default headlights are just too poor. From the leaks on the internet, the Mojo ABS has most other shortcomings addressed including the handling shortfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Any plans to go for a single headlight and touring windshield? That would make a delight!
Thank you. The faired look was necessitated because I was too stubborn and did not want to lose the 'look' achieved by the stock cluster. I do have plans for the windshield though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I have seen this bike in Bangalore or another one similarly done, I heard the sound first and thought it was a Mojo, but it looked purposeful with all the touring kit. Its a fine job you have done, I did not realize that it was a custom job.
Bangalore has the largest number of Mojos running on it's roads compared to anywhere else in the country. The crowd is very mod friendly too. We keep receiving some out of the world mods from the Bangalore tribes. A post for later maybe, the creativity of some of the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
You should post this thread to Anand Mahindra's Twitter handle. He is pretty active on Twitter. Would love to hear from him on this!
Thank you. I'm not on Twitter. Somebody else will have to do me the favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift7 View Post
A fellow mojo owner here. What a right up bro. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ah, a fellow tribesman! It is our very own 'monster' brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Superb thread. Here is wishing you many more happy miles on the Mojo.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Dual purpose tires from TimSun or any other brand will certainly add to the character.
Thank you! I have the Timsuns in mind too. But the Scorpion STRs from Pirelli too are a lovely proposition, albeit expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Great Mods and narration, enjoyed reading it, the bike looks tastefully done. Kudos for the efforts and persistence in finding the right people for the mods creating a ride that suits you.
Thank you! I got lucky with Ground Designs. I checked out his work online after I gave him the bike. Mighty impressed with his designs. The stand out for me have been the sleek Versys 650 saddle stays and top racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The joy that surrounds when reacting to a thread like this, such lovely one, this. I am surprised to see, the Himalayan looks bleak in comparison to this 'MoJo JoJo". The side fairings blend in neatly with the cluster and the fuel tank. How are the vibes? Are there any vibration or buzz that you're observing post the new side fibers?
I intend to take more pics with the face-off pose with the 310 GS, the Himalayan and the actual Tiger. A full blown photoshoot is on the cards soon.

There were no vibes observed on installing the fairings. However, over time a slight buzz has developed in the left one. Like I mentioned, some rough edges still need to be addressed. The bike is 90% there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
A superbly written post on a largely ignored motorcycle.
Thank you for the comments. W.r.t. the bulk, while some weight has definitely been added, the bike has lost weight where it really mattered - the handle. The difference in handling is quite obvious once you lose all that bulk from the steering. The fairing was a by-product because the gap that appeared once the brackets were installed completely destroyed the look of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
I wish you keep the bike for many many years and munch countless miles!! This one is a keeper now!!
Thank you! I have opened it up more times than I can remember over the past year. Moving forward, I hope the only times it needs opening will be the regular services.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th July 2019 at 01:26. Reason: Trimmed quotes.
AlQuazi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 00:45   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread definitely deserves a 5* rating along with a mention on the Home page (which it already is now).

A lovely, detailed post on such an underrated motorcycle. The modifications that you have done (cosmetic and functional) have truly transformed the Mojo from what it was to what it should have been. The side fairing and the beak lend a completely different character to the motorcycle.

A small suggestion, if I may. If you could keep these mods and revert to the all black color with a slight touch of grey / golden in certain areas - that will be a looker.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 07:47   #24
BHPian

Wow, that’s quite a build! There are people like me, who hate getting down and dirty with their machines and always complain and bicker about what all the manufacturers could have given as OEM and where they missed the bus and all that. And then there are guys like you, who actually don’t crib but get to work, getting the machine tailored to your flavor. Hats off to your build and I dare say, if Mojo was still in production, the M&M guys would have copied off your mod into a mass production without batting a single eyelid of conscience. It’s that good! Happy and safe riding, ATGATT!

Cheers,
Doc_Nikhil.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 10:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, what a great read! I echo the sentiment shared by senior BHPian theexperthand, after a long time we have such an involving thread. I love the design and finish of your fairing and if a non enthusiast was looking at your Mojo, they would never guess that it wasnt OEM. Mahindra should launch a special edition with your modifications. Big thumbs up all around and look forward to many more updates from you on this thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 12:46   #26
BHPian

Slightly OT, why does a 300 cc single need two exhausts.
Unnecessary Sprung weight, and showboating for no reason.
Torque-ative is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 13:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

What a thread!!!!. Great write up, some wall paper pics make your thread a must read for all bikers. I had heard the exhaust sound of the Mojo near my office and it was a sure head turner. Initially it was difficult to identify the bike from a distance as it sounded like a super bike. A closer look revealed the Indian connect.

The only thing missing on the bike is a T-BHP sticker.

Enjoy many happy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 13:58   #28
BHPian

Well deserved thread for an truly underrated bike. The bike is a rare gem and definitely one of the best tourers out there. Although I am not a fan of MODS, your MODS seem to have transformed the bike into a true beast to munch up miles like no other in its category. Keep up the great work and do keep this thread updated. By the way this reminds me to take my Mojo out for a spin. It's been kept covered for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Hats off to your build and I dare say, if Mojo was still in production, the M&M guys would have copied off your mod into a mass production without batting a single eyelid of conscience.
Mojo is very much in production. Now the ABS variant has started arriving at dealerships and launch is just around the corner. NAFS Motors in Bangalore already has the ABS variant on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
It was added for the sound and it sounds better than any other single-cylinder competitor out there, with or without db killers. And also for the looks, I like the dual setup as it makes it look unique. The looks part maybe subjective, but the sound part is definitely worth it. And if you want real madness, just remove the DB killer and it will put most aftermarket pipes to shame.
For instance, most of the Mojo owners have reported that they got the Superbike treatment (separate parking etc) at mall parking lots, all thanks to that exhaust note.

Last edited by Funny : 12th July 2019 at 14:06.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 16:32   #29
BHPian

I just loved your passion towards what you were doing. I totally understand that you are a really skilled in designing and wish you a great time with the bike. Mojo is surely the most underrated bike in India.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 12:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
This thread definitely deserves a 5* rating along with a mention on the Home page (which it already is now).

A lovely, detailed post on such an underrated motorcycle. The modifications that you have done (cosmetic and functional) have truly transformed the Mojo from what it was to what it should have been. The side fairing and the beak lend a completely different character to the motorcycle.

A small suggestion, if I may. If you could keep these mods and revert to the all black color with a slight touch of grey / golden in certain areas - that will be a looker.
Thank you for your comments.
I would love to go experimenting with colors too. However, it is a lot of hassle getting it RTO approved. For now I’m thinking I’ll run around with the current setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Wow, that’s quite a build! There are people like me, who hate getting down and dirty with their machines and always complain and bicker about what all the manufacturers could have given as OEM and where they missed the bus and all that. And then there are guys like you, who actually don’t crib but get to work, getting the machine tailored to your flavor. Hats off to your build and I dare say, if Mojo was still in production, the M&M guys would have copied off your mod into a mass production without batting a single eyelid of conscience. It’s that good! Happy and safe riding, ATGATT!

Cheers,
Doc_Nikhil.
Thank you. I would like to provide a different perspective as to why M&M would never launch a Mojo with this configuration as stock.

The Mojo has always been perceived to be overpriced for the kit it offers. This was one of the reasons the product tanked in the market. With these mods the prices will go up further, even into interceptor territory. Nobody would buy it then.

The only thing forward is to strip some features to keep the product competitive, something they’ve done with the ABS model.

Production was temporarily halted for the ABS deadline. I think the new bikes are already hitting the showrooms with only a price announcement and launch pending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wow, what a great read! I echo the sentiment shared by senior BHPian theexperthand, after a long time we have such an involving thread. I love the design and finish of your fairing and if a non enthusiast was looking at your Mojo, they would never guess that it wasnt OEM. Mahindra should launch a special edition with your modifications. Big thumbs up all around and look forward to many more updates from you on this thread.
Thank you Neil. The level of detail you maintain in your GT 535 thread was one of my primary inspirations. Let’s just say, if I can manage to be even half as comprehensive, it will be a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I agree on the weight part. Especially since I’ve ridden the UT300 and seen how much of a step-up it is from the XT when it comes to handling!

However, like Bhpian Funny has pointed out, the other end-can is present purely for acoustic purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What a thread!!!!. Great write up, some wall paper pics make your thread a must read for all bikers. I had heard the exhaust sound of the Mojo near my office and it was a sure head turner. Initially it was difficult to identify the bike from a distance as it sounded like a super bike. A closer look revealed the Indian connect.

The only thing missing on the bike is a T-BHP sticker.

Enjoy many happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Thank you! If you strip the Mahindra badges, people confuse it for some import.

Even now, when people hear this is a product from the M&M stable, they ask “Mahindra kab se aisa gadi banane laga! (Since when did Mahindra start making such vehicles!)”

As for the stickers, my OCD will never allow me to stick a Live to drive or a driven by Team Bhp sticker.

Note to mods : Please launch a series of stickers for those with two wheels lesser. Live to ride and Ridden by Team BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Well deserved thread for an truly underrated bike. The bike is a rare gem and definitely one of the best tourers out there. Although I am not a fan of MODS, your MODS seem to have transformed the bike into a true beast to munch up miles like no other in its category. Keep up the great work and do keep this thread updated. By the way this reminds me to take my Mojo out for a spin. It's been kept covered for a while now.

Mojo is very much in production. Now the ABS variant has started arriving at dealerships and launch is just around the corner. NAFS Motors in Bangalore already has the ABS variant on display.

It was added for the sound and it sounds better than any other single-cylinder competitor out there, with or without db killers. And also for the looks, I like the dual setup as it makes it look unique. The looks part maybe subjective, but the sound part is definitely worth it. And if you want real madness, just remove the DB killer and it will put most aftermarket pipes to shame.
For instance, most of the Mojo owners have reported that they got the Superbike treatment (separate parking etc) at mall parking lots, all thanks to that exhaust note.
It sure is a head turner with that sound. Personally though, I found it too distracting and thus opted for the custom dB killers. I find even these too loud. Will revert to stock soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
I just loved your passion towards what you were doing. I totally understand that you are a really skilled in designing and wish you a great time with the bike. Mojo is surely the most underrated bike in India.
Thank you for your comments. Yes, I hope to run around with it for a long long time!
AlQuazi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed