Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 13:27   #46
BHPian

Re: When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo

Mahindra missed a great opportunity to offer a whole range of accessories like HD does with their range of motorcycles. I haven't found one Mojo in the wild which is similar to another Mojo! The fact that Mahindra themselves were too lethargic in selling the Mojo is what is killing the Mojo.

Generally fork oil has to be changed after every 15000kms, many people don't change fork oil for thousands of kms and feel the ride becoming unstable.

Considering you live in Pune, i would love to check out your Mojo in person!

Last edited by CarManMotorcycl : 15th June 2020 at 13:28.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:13   #47
BHPian

Re: When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
I haven't found one Mojo in the wild which is similar to another Mojo! The fact that Mahindra themselves were too lethargic in selling the Mojo is what is killing the Mojo.

Considering you live in Pune, i would love to check out your Mojo in person!
Yes, we lot are a creative bunch.

Mahindra's attitude w.r.t the Mojo is perplexing. They won't update it nor will they bury it. It is understandable now that Jawa has found some semblance of success, the Mojo could be let go. But I'd rather they keep selling it so that we owners don't face issues with spares and service.
AlQuazi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 16:06   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved your ownership review. Keep it going.

I had noticed uneven tyre wear on the older pirelli front tyre. One side was more worn than the other. Was suspecting fork issue and your subsequent posts on fork overhaul confirmed it. The dark fork oil on one fork and means both the fork were not working in harmony leading to uneven front tyre wear.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Loved your ownership review. Keep it going.

I had noticed uneven tyre wear on the older pirelli front tyre. One side was more worn than the other. Was suspecting fork issue and your subsequent posts on fork overhaul confirmed it. The dark fork oil on one fork and means both the fork were not working in harmony leading to uneven front tyre wear.
Thank you for your kind words!

I'm not sure if the uneven wear is because of the forks. But for a thousand bucks, it is worth a try. It is usually recommended to service the forks every 15k km anyways.

I say this because there is back story to the dirt in the fork oil. The reason I went for an overhaul in the first place was because I had rear-ended an i20 and noticed an immediate harshness to the ride. There was negligible outward damage on the bike or car so we just shrug it off as 'one of those days'.

On hindsight though, one of the forks could have gotten damaged. There were no leaks, but the front was definitely not as plush as before.

The dirt in the oil could have been a direct result of the impact. However after the overhaul, the bike was back to stock plushness for some time. I was again getting used to gliding over potholes and speed breakers. That was until one pretty nasty undulation pushed the suspension to a full bump condition. Immediately thereafter, I again noticed some harshness seeping in.

This leads me to believe there could be something wrong, probably a small dent/bend at the very end of travel. However, there has been no leakage from the seals, so I'll just live with a harsh ride for the time being.

Not too keen on spending 1k again right now but it looks like I'll have to be a tad bit more careful and not jump big potholes moving forward.
Old 31st July 2020, 17:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
Thank you for your kind words!

I'm not sure if the uneven wear is because of the forks. But for a thousand bucks, it is worth a try. It is usually recommended to service the forks every 15k km anyways.

I say this because there is back story to the dirt in the fork oil. The reason I went for an overhaul in the first place was because I had rear-ended an i20 and noticed an immediate harshness to the ride. There was negligible outward damage on the bike or car so we just shrug it off as 'one of those days'.

On hindsight though, one of the forks could have gotten damaged. There were no leaks, but the front was definitely not as plush as before.

The dirt in the oil could have been a direct result of the impact. However after the overhaul, the bike was back to stock plushness for some time. I was again getting used to gliding over potholes and speed breakers.
Most probably, the forks have a slight bend because of the accident you had. Suggest you change the complete fork assembly next time. USD forks are more sensitive to such bending on hits since they do not have spring inside them.

If the current front tyre also shows uneven wear then for sure the forks are shot. Better replace both of them

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 31st July 2020 at 17:39.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:38   #51
BHPian

I had been out of Pune for the past two months. What with WFH continuing for the foreseeable future, I had packed my bags and headed home back in June. As much as I wanted to, the situation at the time did not allow for a road trip to across the MH-KA border. So the bike remained in the apartment basement gathering dust for the better part of July and August.

Unfortunately, the idiot that I am, it slipped my mind to disconnect the battery terminals to prevent the battery from dying out in storage.

I was called back to office a week ago after a two month hiatus. Not suprisingly, the battery had discharged to 4 V! Unfortunately, despite overnight charging at the local dealer, it could not be resuscitated.

This was the OEM battery and had lasted almost 4 years of regular usage. As far as VFM goes, I had squeezed every drop of usefulness out of this battery! There was nothing much to do now but get a replacement put in.

The Tata Yuasa 11.8 Ah battery that originally came with the earlier versions of the Mojo costs a whooping Rs. 6252. A quick query on the Mojo whatsapp groups and much cheaper options from Exide, Amaron and Tata Green themeselves were found to be working perfectly on bikes across the country.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200902-7.44.16-pm-1.jpeg
The 11.8 Ah Tata Yuasa battery is quite expensive but the constant performance and longetivity it provided was worth the price tag.

The 9 Ah Tata Green battery was readily available for Rs. 1800 (with exchange for the older battery). It was a no brainer really since the form factor and terminal positions were exactly the same as its bigger capacity sibling.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200902-7.43.33-pm.jpeg
The replacement battery had the same form factor, but at 9 Ah has much lesser capacity

A simple plug and play later we were booming back to life!

I noticed some sputtering from the bike over the next couple of days. It would randomly switch off on deceleration and some of the mid range punch was missing. The probable cause could be a dirty fuel filter and bad petrol. With nothing much to do during the weeked, I disassembled the fuel pump and gave it a thorough cleaning.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200902-7.44.16-pm.jpeg
The fuel pump was disassmbled and given a thorough cleaning

The sputtering has receded quite a but the performance still feels a little subdued. I plan to ride around over the next couple of days and if the problems still persists, give the SVC a visit.

Good News though! Restrictions over inter district travel have finally been lifted in Maharashtra. Some weekend riding is on the cards after a long long time!

Of course, what is an ownership update without actual pics of the bike. Here's one where it was getting a much needed wash!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-capture.jpg

Last edited by AlQuazi : 2nd September 2020 at 20:41. Reason: Typo
AlQuazi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Your injectors are also probably clogged. You might want to give it a look through!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:

The only downsides were the stock MRF rubber and the lack of grunt at the low end.
These are the only sour grapes in my otherwise delicious Apache fruit salad.

Kudos to you for getting a great sports tourer. Before stepping a segment down, even I had the mojo and dominar as my considerations, however the lack of A.S.S kept me away from those two. Great to see the way you're building your bike to synchronise with your own comfort.

Greetings from an Apache owner.
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
These are the only sour grapes in my otherwise delicious Apache fruit salad.
The latest iteration is hideous though. TVS had a very good looking bike, especially that face. The new one with the LEDs is a step back as far as styling is concerned!

Why try to fix something that was never broken in the first place, eh? TVS?
Old 11th September 2020, 20:18   #55
BHPian

I was finally able to squeeze in a ride during the weekend after a number of months. The last time a breakfast ride was possible was definitely before the lockdown in March!

I and a fellow Mojo owner hit the pabe ghat route on Sunday for a roughly 150 km ride. The road after Khadakwasla Dam is particularly good. The climb till Velhe was scenic, followed by breakfast and return via pabe ghat. The return route through Pabe was under repair meaning a lot of gravel and fishtailing on the bald Ceats!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-route.jpg
The route.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200911-7.59.17-pm.jpeg
The Mojo ABS! It might be a downgrade in some ways, but man, those brakes!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200911-8.00.12-pm.jpeg
#WannabeTiger

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-whatsapp-image-20200911-8.00.48-pm.jpeg
The old & the new and the scenes!

All in all, a good mix of highway, ghats, gravel and city all within 150 km. After riding Activas and Pulsars for the better part of 3 months, this ride was a good a reacquaintance with the bike. This bike is definitely a jack of all trades and I love it! The gravel sections especially make me appreciate the light handle the fairing mod has brought about!

I visited the SVC on the way back. I had complained of hard gearshifts & clutch which was promptly solved by a change of clutch cable. We attempted to solve the other issue of sputtering during cold starts by a change of fuel pump from another bike. But the issue remains unsolved for now.

Last edited by AlQuazi : 11th September 2020 at 20:19. Reason: Typo
AlQuazi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We attempted to solve the other issue of sputtering during cold starts by a change of fuel pump from another bike. But the issue remains unsolved for now.
This mostly looks like a clogged injector. Did you show it to the SVC?
Old 25th September 2020, 00:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
This mostly looks like a clogged injector. Did you show it to the SVC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Your injectors are also probably clogged. You might want to give it a look through!
I had gotten the injectors a throttle body cleaned just before the lockdown. The issue still persisted although the throttle response became much more crisp.

The air & fuel filters had both been replaced only recently (<2000 km ago). Long trim/ECU reset failed to solve the problem either.

I was pretty sure the problem was with the fueling and not the clutch. But the recent change in clutch cable seems to have helped a little in this regard. Besides the slightly smoother shifts, the pickup/acceleration has improved at the low end although there is still a noticable surge post 5000 rpm (the V-tech kicking in yo! effect )

The odo stands at 31.5k at the moment with most of it being covered on open roads. Less than 5% has been chock-a-block traffic. It is unlikely that clutch plates are slipping so soon. The bike still touches a 100 kph at 5-5.5k rpm in sixth gear, just like it always has.

I am a little flummoxed as to what the root cause could be. At this moment, I even get confused if any improvements I notice are real or just a temporary placebo effect.
Old 26th September 2020, 11:14   #58
BHPian

The Mojo Tribes from Pune and Mumbai descended onto the Dream River Village Resorts at Karjat for an overnight meetup last weekend. The troupe consisted of around 20 motorcycles and a couple of families who came on 4 wheels. All precautions such as masks, sanitizers and temperature checks were carried out as per protocol.

The resort itself was surrounded by picturesque farmland and a small river flowing a 10 minute walk away. We spent the day catching up and exploring the countryside. A small bonfire was started and the conversation flowed at night. Some more explorations in the morning were followed by short photo session. By 11 AM, people began to disperse.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-1.jpg
You miss these scenes in the urban jungle.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-2.jpg
A river right in the backyard!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-2.2.jpg

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-4.5.jpg

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-3.jpeg
The Red Army

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-4.jpeg
The entire line-up

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-5.jpeg
The not-so-stock V/S the stock

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-6.jpeg
So what will it be boys? The Duck or the Wasp!

The return journey was definitely the highlight of the weekend. The sky had been overcast for most of the weekend although we hadn't encountered much rain. Just 10 minutes away from the resort, the skies opened and despite the rain gear, most of us were drenched! Nobody was complainng though, since the rain made the ride back much more scenic.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-8.jpg
The tribe that rides together, stays together!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-7.jpeg
The view from the Khandala Ghat was simply breathtaking! You see this every year but it never fails to blow you away.

Some of the owners did vlog about the trip. Attaching the youtube links to the respective vlogs.

All in all, a peaceful retreat away from the city hustle with good food and passionate company. A much appreciated meet-up since the COVID induced chaos, although in all honesty, it is far from over.
Old 6th October 2020, 00:34   #59
BHPian

2nd to 4th Oct - Long Weekend Ride Report

The weekend saw a lot of good riding!

On Friday, I spent the first half of the day running errands. Post 1 PM, it rained, making the weather all the more pleasant. The weather was an open invitation to ride so an impromptu plan was made for Sinhagad Fort and Panshet Dam with a friend. We met up on Sinhgad Road by 3 PM but had to turn back since vehicles weren't being allowed up to the fort.

Name:  2.2.gif
Views: 2992
Size:  4.67 MB
The #beaksquad

My friend had to head back by 4 PM while I decided to carry on towards Panshet Dam. The stretch till Panshet is pretty scenic with well laid tarmac which was a delight to ride on! Within no time I was at Panshet with more than a couple of hours to go till sunset.

I had wanted to try out the Panshet-Lavasa stretch since chancing upon it on google maps some time ago. I decided this was as good as any a time to explore this scenic route. Boy! It was beautiful & how!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-0.jpg
Panshet to Lavasa - What google doesn't tell you is the quality of tarmac along the route.

After the superb roads till Panshet, I was expecting the same surface till Lavasa. The plan was to cover the 100 odd klometers quickly and be home by sunset. Unfortunately, our plans seldom work out to a tee.

In all honesty, the stretch till Lavasa was more of a dirt road. The next two hours were an unexpected adventure of bad roads and incredible scenery!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-2.5.jpg
Nature in all it's glory!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-3.5.jpg
Nothing more than a dirt road?
This pimped out Mojo was more than up for the job!

With the recent addition of the handlebar raisers, standing and riding was much easier. If anything, the fairings and brackets got the 'testing' of their lives!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-3.7.jpg
While the scenery was breathtaking, the fading light was getting a bit worrisome

After 2 hours of gravel and ruts and photo breaks, I made it to Lavasa just as the sun set. 30 km over two hours!. This was a first for me. It definitely wouldn't be the last though! I was beginning to see the appeal of trails & of venturing off the beaten path!

The climb back to the entry gate at the top was the next adventure. Visibility was probably in the single digits! I am glad I had opted for the warmer color (4300K) when upgrading to LEDs. While there was noticable scatter and the high beam was useless, overall, the lights did their job better than the stock halogens would have.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-4.6.jpg
Visibility down to a few meters, the dark of the night, and a solo ride!
This was an adventure alright!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-4.5.jpg
Tea break at the Lavasa Entry gate.

Post the refreshing tea break, the 60 odd km till Hinjewadi took just over an hour and was a pleasant ride with the solitude of the night for company. Night riding has its own appeal, although the number one prerequisite for it are good lights.

I was finally back home by 8:30 PM. The sheer unexpectedness of the day made this amongst my most memorable experiences in a long while and arguably my best solo ride till date.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-1.jpg
The day's shenanigans all summed up!

Sunday - 4th October - Tamhini Ghat, You Beauty!

After the high that Friday turned out to be, I spent Saturday just lazying around and getting stuff done around the apartment. By evening I was rearing to go again. A plan was made with fellow Mojo owner and BHPian Mojoholic to hit the Tamhini Ghat-Mulshi stretch. A friend from Mumbai also decided to join in so Lonavala was decided as the randezvous point.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-4.7.jpg
The Plan - Wakad - Lonavala - Pali - Tamhini Ghat - Mulshi - Wakad

We started from Wakad at 7:20 AM and were at Lonavala by 8:00. I have lost count of the number of times I have been to or crossed Lonavala, but this was one of the better experiences with the place. As we climbed towards Khandala, visibility dropped and the ensuing scenes immediately justified the decision to take this route!

Name:  5.5.gif
Views: 2262
Size:  3.94 MB

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-5.jpg
Such Scenes, Much Wow!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-6.jpg
Posers!

We stopped for breakfast just after pali. The overall pace was liesurely with ample breaks, primarily to take in all that scenery! The stretch between Pali and Tamhini was a revelation. The Tarmac was mostly perfect. It was a war of emotions in fact! To rip or to drink in the views!

Anybody out of options for short half day rides around Pune. Hit the Tamhini ghat, abso-freakin-lutely worth it!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-7.jpg
The weather nor the route could not have been better!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-9.jpg
Cock-eyed Mojo

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-10.jpg
One with the clouds, at the top of the Ghat.
Can you believe this is mid-day?
Any other time of the year and we'd be sweating buckets!

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-11.0.jpg
Backwaters of the Mulshi Dam

The stretch from Mulshi till Hinjewadi via Pirangut was bad. In the end though, the highs of Tamhini definitely triumphed the lows of Mulshi! Moreover, once the butt leaves the seat, the bad roads become just as enjoyable as the tarmac. We were back home by 4 PM to conclude a momorable 250 km trip.

I was experimenting with the footage from the day and found the Kinemaster app to be highly intuitive to edit content! Here is a short montage of the day's shenanigans.

As always, the bike was impeccable! I was worried with the amount of abuse I metted out to it on the bad strethches, the rear Ceat tyre (which is at the fag end of its life) would puncture or tear. The Timsun 822 up front were made for gravel and slush. The block pattern grips well in low tractio situations contributing immensely to the bike's stability off-road! I would be getting the same pattern for the rear over the next week or so.

Last edited by AlQuazi : 6th October 2020 at 00:41. Reason: Typo
AlQuazi is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
A plan was made with fellow Mojo owner and BHPian Mojoholic to hit the Tamhini Ghat-Mulshi stretch. A friend from Mumbai also decided to join in so Lonavala was decided as the randezvous point.
Very nice, next time try the Lonavla-Tamhini route from either sides it's awesome. I did the Tamhini->Lonavla route on my Classic 350 in winters.

When you can't afford that Tiger, you build one! My (Modified) Mahindra Mojo-tl.jpg

The Kms and time will give you the road conditions estimate!

Keep exploring!
/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks