Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:12   #46
BHPian

Dear friend, I am not recommending it, but I have the Himalayan. Works well in both city and highway. Got loads of torque low down and very good suspension setup. Once u get used to it that may be just it. Ride different ones be comfortable with the posture and all and then take a call. Cheers.
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:53   #47

Re: Which motorcycle? Commuter on weekdays, Cruiser on weekends

Crazy idea. Get a RX100/135. Restore it. Install the original luggage carrier. On a highway, you won't just keep up with the 350, but literally smoke them. And any present day 150cc bikes can't beat it from Signal to signal in a city.
Does not tick the FE box but worth it.

Anyway, I found the Himalayan to be very underpowered. Currently, I would say, the best option is to look at D400 or the Classic/TB500. I personally prefer the classic500.

I had a similar dilemma and went ahead with the classic 500 and happy with it though it still can't replace my RX

Last edited by Articuno96 : 2nd August 2019 at 21:02.
Old 3rd August 2019, 00:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Dear friend, I am not recommending it, but I have the Himalayan. Works well in both city and highway. Got loads of torque low down and very good suspension setup. Once u get used to it that may be just it. Ride different ones be comfortable with the posture and all and then take a call. Cheers.
I did ride the Himalayan for about 20-30 km on the highway. I was a bit uncomfortable with the way my legs rested, but I guess it was a matter of getting used to it. I agree that the bike is great fun to ride. But I'm not a millionaire. I need to watch the fuel consumption.

Also, with all the RE stories, I'm not convinced that brand is a good one to own. (Although, they are good, capable bikes to ride)

Honestly, I didn't expect this thread to get so far. But I guess. there were others also who empathized. Thanks to all the suggestions, my short list is now:

1. X Pulse 200T
2. Gixxer 150 FI (the new one)
3. Gixxer 250. I would prefer a naked, and FI, but as of now, only bikes with carbs and fairing are available
4. Yamaha FZS (125 cc)

I hadn't considered Yamaha earlier because I was under the impression they were built for speed and compromised on the FE. Thanks to everyone's feedback, I am seriously evaluating this one

Honourable mention: Yamaha MT 15. But then I saw the bike at the dealership, and gave up on it. Seeing that tiny pillion seat that is insufficient for my office backpack, and the weird bars on the sides, I was befuddled.

As for the RTRs, I rode an RTR 160 (I think) a few years ago. It was a short ride; but I did not like the seating position. And I haven't heard of them being frugal machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
If you can consider TB, you should not have a problem with the weight of Dominar. The 2019 version is better in all ways and I would not write off without a test ride. I am yet to see a CB300 on flesh on the roads in Pune and never found it too appealing to go visit a showroom.
I am keeping away from the REs. They are not ideal city bikes.

The Dominar does not meet my FE criterion. And I have heard the engine generates too much heat in city crawls. So its not in my consideration set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Have you considered cruiser bikes?

Avenger 220 is comfortable in a city and good enough to keep pace on the highways. Buying it with ABS is a must since front tyre grip is poor and is prone to skidding.

Intruder 150 is another option that you can consider, if you are not offended by its looks. Wait for few more months, chances of launching a 250cc Intruder is really high given that Suzuki has already launched Gixxers with 250cc engines.

V15 have a comfortable sitting position. I am suggesting cruisers because all other bikes like Apache, Dominar, FZ, etc. have sporty sitting positions. Driving them daily within city would be painful after few months.
I rode a hired Avenger in Goa. Rode well on the highways. Front wheel jammed on light braking at slow speeds, making me fall twice. Not going near that one. Also, I'm done with Bajaj.

I had TD'ed the Intruder when it launched. The seating position was just not comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Even I am in the same boat and looking for a bike since months.
Somehow bike manufacturers have ignored this customer segment. They have been offering frugal commuters, cruisers or race machines. Looks like they haven't been trying to develop a capable all-rounder.

TVS had displayed an electric hybrid Zeppilin at AutoExpo '18. That would have been a good idea. Electric power in the cities- no emmission, no noise and efficient in stop-start and crawling traffic. When on the highway, the IC engine and the motor run in series to power the bike.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2019 at 18:34. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or MultiQuote rather than posting one post after another.
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

The situation you are in is pretty common and all of us have been there sometime. There are so many options, you like something of each and then want something that brings it all together. Then the post on the forum comes and replies do not help cause you are still hoping for that miracle where you will stumble upon that one new recommendation that is not going to come.
Take your time..take a few test rides. Let it settle down and then think again after 2-3 weeks. You will probably get more realistic and choose something you like and can live with. I took 6 months to pick my ride and it was the most unlikeliest choice of all options I considered!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd August 2019 at 14:38.
Old 4th August 2019, 12:40   #50
BHPian

1. X Pulse 200T
2. Gixxer 150 FI (the new one)
3. Gixxer 250. I would prefer a naked, and FI, but as of now, only bikes with carbs and fairing are available
4. Yamaha FZS (125 cc)

I have been riding R15 v2 for around 6 years now and now I am thinking of buying a comfortable tourer (probably a naked). Xpulse 200t is a great product but the only gripe is lack of FI. Coming to gixxer twins, there is nothing to complain about. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the naked 250. The fzs 150 is an excellent city bike but out there on highway it's not that good.
Old 5th August 2019, 09:56   #51
BHPian

Please consider the below too:

- (consider it again ) Yamaha MT 15 > excellent mileage in city with upright sitting posture
> excellent highway cruising ability with 6th gear and with excellent mileage

- Yamaha R15 > You know it all, the only thing you need to think about is the sitting posture.

- TVS RTR 200 ABS with slipper clutch > check if the position of foot pegs suits you

- TVS RTR 160 4v > Better mileage in city as compared to 200 and very comfortable seat. Check if the position of foot pegs suits you. 80-85 km/h "comfortable" cruising.

- New 200cc from HERO > Can cruise comfortably around 90 km/h , I am not sure beyond that, vibrations creep in and engine looks strained.
200 T > Has very forward set foot pegs, check that once.

Note: If you go beyond 200 cc then there is very less probability of getting a mileage of 40 km/l in city.

Last edited by amiya.c : 5th August 2019 at 10:05. Reason: extra point
Old 6th August 2019, 18:33   #52
BHPian

Yamaha FZ 25.

Highway cruising is good. Especially good at rough patches,when you have to ride through curbside of the highways and decent kmpl figures. You can easily keep up with most of the fast bikes (riding at legal speed limit +20 kmph). Only problem I found was the brakes, when compared to a Duke.

Low end torque is really good for bumper-to-bumper city driving; avoiding frequent gear shifts and there is no issue of engine heating. I usually rent FZ25 from Royal Brothers (50k odo) on my weekend rides and enjoyed the ride each time.
Old 11th August 2019, 19:39   #53
BHPian

Two surprise announcements this week just added to my list.

1. Mahindra Mojo 2019:

As soon as the Jawa bikes were launched with the Mojo engines, everyone was full of praise for the engine and the bike. This puts the new bike back in the reckoning- if I can find a Mahindra 2 wheeler dealer nearby. Sadly, looks like network issues will continue to plague the brand. Possibly, they started making engines for Jawa, and since those are being produced in miniscule numbers, they decided to relaunch the Mojo.

2. The Suzuki Gixxer 250 naked.
This was what I was feverently hoping for. A naked makes a lot more sense in the Indian city than a faired bike. Now that they have announced it, I hope it hits the showrooms soon. The faired 250 is yet to come to the SUzuki showroom near me, so I wonder how long this one will take.

So my updated shortlist is:

1. Gixxer 250
2. Yamaha FZ
3. XPulse 200T

I'll be making a decision by august end. Other things will keep me distracted till then, without time for TDs and all.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th August 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
sachinnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:30   #54
BHPian

Mod note: Quoted post trimmed, please avoid quoting entire large post while replying, affects readability especially for mobile browsers. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
======
I'll be making a decision by august end. Other things will keep me distracted till then, without time for TDs and all.
Hello Sachin, I know you are not considering the RE bikes, but recently they have launched 2 new variants of bullet 350 (ES and standard). The changes mostly are cosmetic, but somehow I am getting attracted to the new paint schemes. I will be test riding it today.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th August 2019 at 12:51. Reason: Quoted post trimmed, please avoid quoting entire large post while replying, affects readability especially for mobile browser
Old 13th August 2019, 14:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:

1. Mahindra Mojo 2019:

As soon as the Jawa bikes were launched with the Mojo engines, everyone was full of praise for the engine and the bike. This puts the new bike back in the reckoning- if I can find a Mahindra 2 wheeler dealer nearby. Sadly, looks like network issues will continue to plague the brand. Possibly, they started making engines for Jawa, and since those are being produced in miniscule numbers, they decided to relaunch the Mojo.

This was what I was feverently hoping for. A naked makes a lot more sense in the Indian city than a faired bike. Now that they have announced it, I hope it hits the showrooms soon. The faired 250 is yet to come to the SUzuki showroom near me, so I wonder how long this one will take.

So my updated shortlist is:

1. Gixxer 250
2. Yamaha FZ
3. XPulse 200T

I could say that i'm in he same boat as you and on the verge of booking the Gixxer 250 naked.I have listed the reasons below...

1. Upright seating position with wide handlebar and a slightly rear set foot pegs- Ideal for city use and long distance riding
2. The 250 cc engine has very decent bhp and torque figures
3. Its Japanese so refinement,reliability & quality is guaranteed
4. 5. ABS, 6 gears - Ideal for touring
6. 156Kgs. Not to heavy like RE & Dominar and not too light like KTM's
6. Subdued and less flashy looks(I'm 40+)

The Gixxer 250 misses out on the slipper clutch and liquid cooling which i can live with.Neither am i an aggressive rider who does hard & crazy downshifts advocating the slipper clutch. The Bajaj & Yamaha's oil cooling systems have proven to be reliable till date and i dont see why a Suzuki cant be even better.

Cheers & ride safe
Sampath
Old 13th August 2019, 21:50   #56
BHPian

I am in the market for an upgrade to my 10 year old Discover. I am not a bike afficianado, but am finding it hard to let go of the discover . After an year of debate, I have now decided to move on .

I have test driven the hero Xpulse and a couple of Apaches.
The point about the foot pegs of Apaches are spot on. It gives the biker a slightly bent position and creates a racer like feel. I loved it and would have parted with my money in an instant had it been 10 years ago. 35 is not the age for a sporty stance IMO.I rode both the 180 (2018 model w/o abs and carb version) and the 160 FI version back to back. Hands down the refinement of the 160FI version of apache is much better than its predecessor.

200T was a disappointment during the TD. I had high expectations. For some reason the clutch was not as per my liking and I was too conscious of something going wrong during the whole test drive. The pick up and the whole test drive was as bland as american food and nothin exicted me.
I will be trying out the pulsars, FZ3.0 and gixxer in the coming weeks to check if something works out.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:28   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I will suggest that you wait for the naked Suzuki 250. I spoke to a Suzuki dealership and they said that the naked 250 will be reaching dealerships very soon. They had already sold most of its first batch of the SF 250 bikes. The fit and finish on the faired SF 250 is excellent. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nicely put together it was and the high quality of the switch gear etc.

Just check the larger Suzuki showrooms in your city, they should have at least got the faired 250s by now.
Old 14th August 2019, 11:30   #58

I am in the same boat, want a decent commuter with highway capabilities as well, don't want the bike to be looking too wild as I am 31 but at the same time I don't want a tiny looking bike either.

Keeping this in mind I went to the Suzuki showroom yesterday and the showroom here in Dehradun just received the Gixxer 250 naked. Although the test ride wasn't available for it as the bike hasn't cleared the RTO formalities, I was able to see it and have a feel for it by sitting on it. Here are my observations:

1. The motorcycle looks well built but a little cramped (This could also be because I am 6ft)

2. The instrument cluster is exactly the same as the new Gixxer 155's however it has a black background instead of the usual white one found on the Gixxer 155. This also helps in reading the info on it under direct sunlight.

3. Only two color options available on it and both matt colors, Matt Black and Matt Silver.

4. They are claiming 45 kmpl which I doubt since it is a 250cc motor churning out 26 horses.

5. If you are looking for a commuter on which your wife can sit comfortably, I doubt that since the pillion would easily be sitting more than 2-3 inches higher than you and it is a split seat.

6. The service intervals are 3000 kms apart. I really don't understand why these companies aren't able to develop engines which can atleast run for 4000 kms before they need a service.

7. Things like the leg guard would need to be purchased separately.

8. I don't know why but the Gixxer 250 naked looks too similar to the 2019 Gixxer 155 naked. I mean I'd like my bike to stand out from a lower powered iteration of the same model. Looks certainly do matter. This is exactly what Yamaha has done with the newer FZ15, it looks very similar (muscular), to the FZ25.

9. Suzuki is giving a range of accessories for the Gixxer 250 naked which include, tank pad, black-finished leg guard/crash protector, DC socket for phone charging, knuckle guards, bash plate which fits under the engine and saddlebags.

10. I am sure that the bike won't be facing any issues with power as it has plenty of it, what I am concerned about, is how good (comfortable) would it be for commuting everyday.

11. The engine is oil cooled and gets a small radiator for it.

12. The tank is made out of fibre with a fibre cover so magnetic tank bags cannot be used here.

On a different note, I had a word with the showroom owner and he informed me that Suzuki is planning to come out with an adventure model with the same 250 cc motor that does duty on the Gixxer 250. It would be inspired by the Suzuki V-Strom. But this, he said would take an year or so to be launched.

Last edited by UK07Rider : 14th August 2019 at 11:42.
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:43   #59
BHPian

Let me add my few cents here.
My options meeting your requirements would be:
  • Apache RR 310
  • Dominar
  • Honda CBR 250

All the best for purchase and keep revving safe.
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

I am also looking for a city commuter plus occasional highway rider. I would prefer simple engine and easy to repair models. I had a Apache RTR 180 and it was a really good ride, troublefree. Currently, I see the Pulsar 220F or Apache RTR 200 as the choices. The back seat of RTR 200 seems difficult for family rides. Another model I took a test ride was Hero Xtreme 200R, which is also a good choice. I am confused which one is more rugged for rough users. I feel Apache's engine and parts quality may be better than the rest of the two. Any inputs are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks