Team-BHP - Going the e-way (electric!)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Going the e-way (electric!) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/21136-going-e-way-electric.html)

Bought a new electric bike today...well here's the whole story

I called SAJO in the afternoon to tell him that I was trading my 2 yr old pulsar with an electric bike; he still doesn't know I got it for my mom :p, atleast until he reads this.

SAJO was silent for a few seconds and then went but...but...have u gone crazy, are you serious. I said yes I was serious and that I was going to the showroom for the delivery in a few minutes. He just said think it over again dude.

I had already called up the Yo-bike showroom in the morning and asked them to keep the vehicle (Yo-smart) ready.

Well there I was in the showroom waiting for the vehicle. The salesman pointed out all the features and tech specs, which I already knew from my earlier visit to another showroom. They then gave me a choice of four numbers from which I could identify my vehicle. Along with the standard tool kit they packed in the battery charger, an extra fuse and a vehicle cover. Also 1 years free insurance was thrown in with the deal.

Atlast the bike was ready to be taken home. I turned the key and simply raised the accelerator. It had a decent pick up. Honked my way thru the traffic but the horn didn't seem loud enough. The shock-ups were real hard, could feel every bump on the road and the brakes acted more of a cut-out for the power rather than for actual braking. Once I was on a clear patch of road, I accelerated to the max and achieved 30kmph which made me happy since by company standards the max is 25kmph. But after a while I started missing my pulsar and its 12bhp power. One thing which was amusing was the battery power indicator which would swing up and down on acceleration and especially on a climb.

Finally got home and hugged my pulsar once.

Good Points:
1) Fuel cost saving
2) No noise (which was actually disturbing)
3) Since I was riding at a really slow speed I got the chance to look more at the surroundings than the road ;)

Bad Points:
1) Bad shock-ups
2) Low powered horn
3) Bad brakes
4) Needs a better name (that’s just my opinion)

So that ended my day with the e-bike and as long as I am not riding it again, I am happy.

Since this is my first report on the forum, go easy on me and let me know if you want the pics

P.S: The owner of the showroom happens to be the president of Maharashtra Automotive Sports Association

Ofcourse we would like pics. Congrats on your not-so-great purchase man..(you know my views about it). Wish you many happy hours of riding and charging.

EDIT : When you turn the key on, how do you know that the bike has started? IIRC, it requires no registration and even no license to ride no?

Brave man. I mean pulsar to a 25km/hr speed electric vehicle?.

btw, I have not seen those vehicles. Wondering Yo-bike has a website atleast?.

Alen you made an ok choice of a bike for your mother, if she isn't going to venture out on city roads. IMHO the bike is ok for commuting to the closest market for shopping basic grocery and all. And please buy a helmet (If not already bought).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 369291)
EDIT : When you turn the key on, how do you know that the bike has started? IIRC, it requires no registration and even no license to ride no?

Dont think it has to be started... A friend had one... It was just like... turn the key and shoooooo.... (Vrooommm was better... But these bikes have no sound, except for the rolling sound from the tyres)

Congrats on the purchase... Got shocked when i initially felt you traded in the pulsar for a e-bike... Thank god, its not like that... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 369291)
When you turn the key on, how do you know that the bike has started? IIRC, it requires no registration and even no license to ride no?

When the key is turned the power lamp lights up and yes it doesn't require any reg. or license

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 369295)
Alen you made an ok choice of a bike for your mother, if she isn't going to venture out on city roads. IMHO the bike is ok for commuting to the closest market for shopping basic grocery and all. And please buy a helmet (If not already bought).

Some of the main reasons why i made this choice were
1) No license required and since my mom's license had expired she wasn't too enthu on getting a new one

2) After my mom's accident long back on her kinetic which fractured her leg she had difficulty in handling even medium weight bikes

3) The max riding radius for her is 20 Km so all in all this seemed the perfect choice

Will post the pics soon

Just wondering ..How many would like a bike ( any bike ) without sound and a kick.

Actually for short city commutes, these are pretty dcent options. Of course a top whack of 40kmph or thereabts would be better, but thats not going to make a huge diff with all the traffic and lights and what not - you'll arrive maybe 5 minutes later than your hot-rod might have - and if enough people take to these, it'll unchoke the city a lot. Yes electric vehicles are not non-polluting completely, but do help in not concentrating the pollution all in one city.
Also, with just 25kmph to get to, you'd really learn a lot of patience, and a lot about the neighbourhoods you ride through.
That said, my 180 aint going nowhere yet :)

Kudo's Alen ,there we have another bhp'ian contributing his share towards having a better environment in terms of reducing pollution levels.It takes a lot to let go off the pulsar.

PS : Lets hope someone doesnt come up with ideas of installing some performance mods on this :p ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 369503)
PS : Lets hope someone doesnt come up with ideas of installing some performance mods on this :p ..

An extra battery and powerful motor?

Yo !!
I remember seeing the ads for this thingy on some channel i believe... but wasnt expecting people to get this so quickly !! How much did this vehicle cost you? Guess u better put up the pics.... a lot of us are indeed curious to see it.

Without any sound or noise at all... it must feel really boring...

Here are the pics

Side view:

Front View:

Console view; The left indication is for speed and the right is for battery power.
When the key is turned on the power lamp lights up

The brushless D.C motor is fitted with the wheel

Two Really heavy batteries

Battery charger:

Charging point on the bike

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 369528)
An extra battery and powerful motor?

I did actually wish for just that during my ride :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 369538)
Yo !!
Without any sound or noise at all... it must feel really boring...

The no noise thing sometimes does feel weird, but if you take it out on a quiet road you can hear the motor accelerating

how long does it take for one full charge and how hrs or kms can u travel with that one charge?

Nice color although .. havent yet seen a black one before. Congrats

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosfreak (Post 369778)
how long does it take for one full charge and how hrs or kms can u travel with that one charge?

Nice color although .. havent yet seen a black one before. Congrats

Didn't get a chance to test its battery limit till yet since its just one day old but according to company it takes around 6 hrs for full charging and runs upto 60 Km on plane road since uphill climb draws more power