Team-BHP - 2019 Mahindra Mojo 300 ABS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   2019 Mahindra Mojo 300 ABS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/211768-2019-mahindra-mojo-300-abs.html)

This is my first post here and I wanted some insights on this topic.

Mahindra has recently launched the All New 2019 Mojo 300 ABS at an Ex-Showroom Pan India price of Rupees 1,88,800/-. This makes it, a direct rival to the 2019 Bajaj Dominar.

The Dominar packs in way more features than the Mojo and hence, people who haven't even driven the Mojo to get even more points to bash it.

I want to understand, why is this bias among the liberal and knowledgable auto enthusiasts who without testing or trying out a product, bash it like anything?

PS-The Dominar is a good bike and I don't intend to create a feud among the 2 communities but it's just that i wanted to learn some facts that i may not know of.

Peace Out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab0593 (Post 4632192)
I want to understand, why is this bias among the liberal and knowledgable auto enthusiasts who without testing or trying out a product, bash it like anything?

Peace Out!

I do not feel that there is a bias or that the mojo is bashed without reason and its not like the Dominar is setting the sales charts on fire.

You have answered your own question with your toughts, as you have mentioned the Dominar packs in a lot of features for the price, more than the aforesaid features you also get a more powerful engine, better palatable looks, a much larger service network and affordable spares.

The Mojo no doubt is a decent motercycle, but the unconventional looks, underpowered engine when compared to competitors, scanty feature list, tiny service network and the price killed the product.

And finally why assume that people have a bias and bash it without trying the product? Mahindra Mojo by any count does not feel like a complete product and I do not feel that the recent price reduction will have any impact on it.:OT There are much better automotive issues to discuss rather than calling our forum or its members opinions biased over two niche products.

Nicely said the bat but the reason I pointed this out is the fact that many members here and people who I know go for features rather than outright riding experience. Looks may be subjective but my issue is with the fact that there are a lot of people who feel the Mojo is a better product despite all features that the Bajaj offers.
In the real world,having driven both the bike's,I can say that the Mojo is a more accomplished product than the D400 and many stalwarts at this forum also say so.
I am thinking of going for the Mojo rather than the D400 so it's just that I wanted to understand if it's sensible to go for a potent and tested bike rather than a feature rich bike.
PS- The dominar is doing good as far as sales are considered, 1500+ units a month, raking in more than the Apache RR310 as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab0593 (Post 4632192)
...people who haven't even driven the Mojo to get even more points to bash it.

Few pointers from my side:

1. What's with those Twin Exhausts on a single cylinder Bike?
(extra 5 Kgs of weight maybe)

2. What's those "signature" twin ribs that run down the tank?
(family identity? of what?)

3. Seriously who on earth names a Motorcycle "MOJO"?
(Of course Mahindra, since the name has to end with an "O")

4. Styling isn't palatable.
(A simple round headlamp would be much better than those Google Eyes)

Some facts on the New 2019 Mahindra Mojo 300 ABS

-No dual Exhausts but just a single Exhaust to shave off the extra dead weight, with a higher mounting position to aid in cornering

-Pirelli Angel CITY tires as standard

-FI Motor punching out 27hp and 30Nm torque

-Dual Channel ABS with Radial Mounted 320mm front brakes and 240mm Rear with ByBre calipers on both ends

-Revised steering angle for better maneuvarability around the city

-Telescopic Front Forks and Monoshocks on the Rear

-Black colored frame unlike the Golden colored units seen previously

I agree to the looks part as it's a subjective thing. Having said that though, the looks have grown on eventually seeing more and more of the bike.

Regarding the twin ribs, well Mahindra had to give the Mojo a distinct family look and since the Mojo is a derivative of the Malaguti MR250, the ribs became kind of inevitable.

As far as the product goes, I found the Mojo to be better refined than anything under 2 lakhs tbh. The Mojo came out to give the touring abilities of a Thunderbird but with the power of the Dominar and I think the Mojo comes close in achieving that.

The recently launched Dominar UG is an perfect example of how a upgrade should be done. Bajaj took the market feedback seriously and and the vfm tag was the icing on the cake. But what has Mahindra done to Mojo? Just adding ABS is not going to work. Mojo no doubt is a capable tourer and I love the way it sounds. But dominar beats the mojo hands down on every parameter. So, imho instead of bashing the mojo one should bash Mahindra for not working on it as per the market demands.

My question is where can I go buy one? Seriously, no pun intended!!

http://mahindramojo.com/mojo/buyersguide#dealerLocator
Check for your dealer here, bookings are open

That's a good point RD150 but those additions doesn't compensate for the fact that I can't still attach my bag into the tank of the Dominar nor can I go 400+ km without refuelling. Those additions are good and yes Bajaj has done excellent on this front. But I wonder, how is Bajaj managing to offer all this at such a low price?

Mojo has a beautiful engine(as per reports, owners and enthusiasts alike) but 1. Looks ugly 2. Priced on the higher side and 3. Has limited sales and service network. You can argue looks can be subjective, it will grow on you, but you can't deny the fact that it is an ugly duckling no matter which angle you look at it from.

Pricing, you can argue quality comes at a price. But, why should I spend more on a bike with i. less features than D400, ii. Few ASCs than CBR250R iii. Lesser known brand (2 wheelers) with a past that has Centuros to its name?

When Mahindra started the Mojo project it was supposed to be a city bike, but just before the launch they changed their mind and made it a highway cruiser, it was not exactly an easy bike to maneuver in the city traffic, we have seen what a fellow bhpian did to make it maneuverable.

Now that CLPL has taken the heart (and best part of Mojo) and packed it with retro looks, it seems like it's end of road for Mojo. I know the 'all new Mojo ABS' is out, but it's too little too late.

From time to time there will be bikes/cars that we genuinely want to do well in the market but know that it's not going to happen, Mojo is one for me while Suzuki Intruder 150 is the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab0593 (Post 4632235)
-No dual Exhausts but just a single Exhaust to shave off the extra dead weight, with a higher mounting position to aid in cornering

At the coat of sounding like a poser I feel that the Dual exhaust setup was one of the USPs of Mojo. Doing away with those like taking away some Mojo out of Mojo.

Hahahaha I heard somewhere that you can get the other exhaust as an accessory for the 2019 version though!
My friend will be getting the 2019 Dominar at the end of the month so will definitely wait for that to check it out completely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab0593 (Post 4632472)
http://mahindramojo.com/mojo/buyersguide#dealerLocator
Check for your dealer here, bookings are open

That's a good point RD150 but those additions doesn't compensate for the fact that I can't still attach my bag into the tank of the Dominar nor can I go 400+ km without refuelling. Those additions are good and yes Bajaj has done excellent on this front. But I wonder, how is Bajaj managing to offer all this at such a low price?

So now you see what I mean. There is no pune and there is more or less only 1 dealership per city. Am sure the after sales story is the same. I personally don't see a case for the Mojo except for those whose heart is set on it.

MOJO: Curious name for a motorcycle?

LOOKS: Uncomventional/Unplatable/What is that?

Service Network: Very Thin

USP...???

As far as I have heard from the many owners, customers have had a good experience in terms of ownership. you also get a privileged treatment at most M2W showrooms being the owner of the Mojo.

The Bike has stood the test of time as far as I have heard from owners so I don't doubt the reliability of the machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab0593 (Post 4632894)
As far as I have heard from the many owners, customers have had a good experience in terms of ownership. you also get a privileged treatment at most M2W showrooms being the owner of the Mojo.

The Bike has stood the test of time as far as I have heard from owners so I don't doubt the reliability of the machine.

Unfortunately that's just not enough to convince most of the customers looking for a bike within 1.5-2.0 Lakhs.