Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 18:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Affordable Royal Enfield Bullet 350 variant on cards

According to a media report, Royal Enfield might launch an affordable variant of the Bullet 350. It is rumoured to be launched in a few months time.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-re350.jpg

The new variant is likely to be based on the Bullet 350 and could use the existing platform. The bike could get a different fuel tank badge, black finish for the engine and might lose all the chrome bits that are offered on regular Bullet 350. The new variant could also get the bright colour options that debuted on the Tunderbird X. Besides, it could get spoked wheels with tubed tyres as well as both kick and electric start options.

Mechanically, the bike is expected to be identical to the Bullet 350 and could use the same 350cc, air-cooled, single-cylinder engine. Reports suggest that a 500cc version might also be on offer.

It is also rumoured that Royal Enfield is considering a 250cc bike for the Indian market. However, this project is reportedly in its early stages.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st August 2019 at 18:34.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Affordable Royal Enfield Bullet 350 variant on cards

So this is to protect the classic brand from the Jawa onslaught. And colours to combat what the 42 offers. Good move on paper but I think the market is a bit tired with this unrefined WW2 machine.
narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:16   #3
BHPian

I was an ardent RE fan for almost 2 decades and I owned one for almost 9 years before switching to a different brand. The reason to shift was constant niggles and absolutely dreadful spare parts quality. Though I moved to a different manufacturer, I was in touch with dada who looked after my Bullet(Yes, you spend so much time with bullet mechanics that you call them dada/ bhaiya and also know each and every detail about them that gets acquired from the innumerable visits for maintaining the old bullets), I got to know about reliability issues of new classic/ bullet. I can only wonder what will happen when company decides to launch "Affordable" variant of the already dreadful product. God knows what quality will they maintain when they do cost cutting of the products.
YoungSaint is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not a very smart move. They are finally getting some cred with the new 650 twins.
Their product range before that was abysmal and it really shocks me when even in 2019 some one wants to buy a 350 Standard. We have alot of those from where I come.
Considering its nothing but an iron frame with 2 wheels, I wonder what more cost cutting they would like to do.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd August 2019 at 08:47.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Posts 22 Per Cent Drop In Volumes

A 22 % Drop in Sales is Huge. Something that Royal Enfiled isn't used to .. not since the better part of last 10 years. The additional numbers from the 650 twins aren't sufficient to offset the loss in overall numbers for the manufacturer.

A "Cheaper" model will be the Classic response of a manufacturer in such conditions.

Ironic I would say, since Royal Enfield had just started to Dream "Big" with 650 Twins and Above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
So this is to protect the classic brand from the Jawa onslaught. And colours to combat what the 42 offers. Good move on paper but I think the market is a bit tired with this unrefined WW2 machine.
I wouldn't say it's the Jawa Effect..

Just Today Morning I saw the first Jawa on road post its launch. It (the Jawa) looks cute but doesn't have enough of street presence to sway propective RE Buyers (THUMP / Street Cred Seekers).. certainly not at least 22% of its sales.

Last edited by payeng : 2nd August 2019 at 10:34.
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:29   #6
BHPian

Had a hearty laughter when I read the news title! Affordable can be in the sense of initial investment and also in the sense of unpredictably recurring time + money expense!

I have been toying with the idea of a smallish cruiser for the daily use, looked into the RE and looked away soon with the (dominantly) negative feedback from friends and relatives that still own them.

With no disrespect meant to any RE owners or their ownership, allow me to quote a friend that owns an RE and what he said when I sought his feedback - "It's an unreliable gunk of noisy metal!"

If it's true and if it continues to remain that, no matter how affordable it becomes, it will always remain unaffordable - no will be have the time or patience for the unpredictability.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I for one think that this is a good business move from Royal Enfield. With the 650 twins, they have successfully positioned themselves into a higher price point that what the market was comfortable with earlier.

Now that they have moved the needle up, they are looking at the other end by pushing themselves into lower price points with likely de-chromed and more colourful variants of the base Bullet 350. To a lesser extent, a lower priced, colourful 500 cc variant at not much more money than the current 350's will bring some much needed sales as well for the higher capacity platform. Royal Enfield is also making a strong push into rural markets so more affordable variants will only increase their market acceptance.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 09:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

250 cc Royal Enfield?

News Source: EconomicTimes

Quote:
Under new CEO Vinod Dasari, however, the bike maker has rolled out a plan to set up 350 small outlets in the hinterland, apart from considering a new 250 cc bike variant. The 250 cc study is being carried out by the Indian R&D centre, even as the UK Technical Centre moots new, bigger displacement bikes for the global markets.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

It will be called the Bullet X and the launch is scheduled today at 11 am. Emails have been sent out by dealerships inviting Royal Enfield owners and those who have taken interest in their motorcycles.

As per the email the Royal Enfield Bullet will be available "now in a new range*.

A link by Autocar
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...le-soon-413679

Last edited by Gordon : 9th August 2019 at 07:53.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet 350X spied ahead of launch

Images of the upcoming Royal Enfield Bullet 350X have surfaced online. The bike is expected to be launched in the days to come.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-350x2.jpg

According to the spy images, the Bullet 350X is expected to get a black engine and crankcase as well as spoked wheels with black rims. Unlike the standard Bullet 350, which comes in black, the 350X is likely to be offered in at least four colour options for the fuel tank. The images reveal that the bike has a stepped seat, circular headlamp with a chrome bezel and a chrome exhaust.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-350x4.jpg

Reports suggest that the 350X is likely to be offered with kick start and electric start options. Mechanically, the bike is expected to be identical to the standard Bullet 350. It is likely to be powered by a 346cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine that produces 19.8 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 28 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm. It is expected to be mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-350x3.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-350x1.jpg

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:25   #11
BANNED

X factor gives you the following:

1. Same old vibrating engine bike in new paint scheme for wannabe's.

2. Ugly under the silencer rear brake lever, which fouls with the tarmac while doing right-hand side manoeuvres.

RE loves to fool us.....

Last edited by The King : 9th August 2019 at 11:26.
The King is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks like after a "good" launch of 650 twins - RE is back to its usual self. Flogging the century old 350/500 by a different paint scheme & addition/deletion of chrome. And there would be folks ready to pay Lakhs of rupees for these dodos
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 14:01   #13
BHPian

The question is , how is it classified as " affordable"?. By all standards even their normal 350 classic was selling like cattle @1.5L (Correct me if wrong) before the present decline. Any indication on price?.
Old 9th August 2019, 16:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh

Royal Enfield has launched six new variants of the Bullet 350 and Bullet 350 ES. Prices start at Rs. 1.12 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-bullet350.png

In addition to the existing black colour, the new Bullet 350 will be available in three new colour options - Bullet Silver, Sapphire Blue and Onyx Black. The Bullet 350 ES will be offered in Jet Black, Regal Red and Royal Blue in addition to the existing Maroon and Silver colours. Both variants come in a blacked out theme.

Powering the Bullet 350 and Bullet 350 ES is a 346cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine that produces 19.8 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 28 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh-bullet-350es.png

The bikes feature 35 mm telescopic fork suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear. Both variants come equipped a 280 mm disc brake at the front and 153 mm drum at the rear and have single channel ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 16:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 350 & 350 ES launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh

From the looks of it, it is a STD 350 with a colored tank. The RE insignia on the tank looks similar to the new Jawa's.
From a company with just a handful of models to choose from at one point to one with a long list now.

Wonder what was the point for this iteration. I guess this one is for those who can't afford a Electra and don't want the look of a STD 350?

Last edited by tharian : 9th August 2019 at 16:27.

Most Viewed