Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 19:58   #1
BHPian

Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

I got my first motorbike back in 2008, a TVS Apache 160 RTR. It was bought by saving up my salaries over a few months from my first job, and needless to say, it was my first love.

The Apache and I saw a few jobs, a couple of heartbreaks, and tens of thousands of kms on the odo. Till 2013, when I had a nasty fall. The signal had just turned green and I took off. A few meters in, the chain jammed and the bike skidded on the tarmac. I wasn't hurt much, just a few bruises. But the fact that there were a few vehicles behind me and would have run over me if not for some random luck scarred me forever. I never really rode after that, and stuck to the car.

I would longingly look at new motorbike launches, and would go out to take test rides, but I never got my full confidence back. Nor did I see any bike that struck my heart at first sight. It's been 6 years since the fall and I now have a lovely wife and a 10 month old son, and I have been seriously giving getting back to riding a thought.

The bikes I have test ridden in the recent past include the Classic 350, TB350, Interceptor, Jawa 42 etc. The aggressive bikes of today don't interest me at all, so the Dukes, the Ninjas and the Yamahas are out of the question. Oh, and there is one more motorcycle I have been eyeing badly for the last few years - the Street Twin. :heart:

I guess you now have a good idea on what I am looking at - a relaxed riding with a good balance of commuting and the occasional weekend rides. I don't want to be chasing the KTMs of the world, nor do I want a machine that would let me do a 0-60 in 3 seconds. I just want a bike that would let me tackle my mid-life crisis at my own pace. (34 is mid-life crisis, yes?)

I also want a motorbike that would let me just ride. I wouldn't want the hassles of maintaining a bike at this age. I would rather spend that time with my kid. This kinda throws the Classic 350 and TB50 out of the window. Plus my office in Mumbai is less than a 20 minute ride, one way. The REs battery will start giving me a hard time if I ride such short distances everyday - please correct me if I am wrong here. These are some great machines, but I don't think I have the emotional bandwidth to invest my time and energy on another kid.

That brings it down to the Interceptor - fantastic machine. But the issues are worrying me. I took a short test ride in Mumbai, and my shin area scrapped the footpeg multiple times, each time I had to stop. It was annoying, and though I believe I will get used to it, it is annoying considering I will also be using this bike as a daily commute bike. In Mumbai. Also faulty instruments like fuel gauge just don't give me the confidence.

The other bike I have been in love with, and this bike truly sets my heart on fire, is the Street Twin. I have taken multiple test rides and it always has managed to give me a bloody huge grin I sit on it. The riding posture is exactly what I am looking for, and my wife loves it. We plan to do rides together. so pillion seat is extremely important. The comfort, riding posture, exhaust note, pillion seat, the Triumph brand, the safety electronics etc makes me want to get it right away. I love the bike. The electronics - traction control, riding modes, ABS etc also gives me huge confidence that I need to get back to riding.

BUT. The price point. It's not about the affordability. It is about the upgrade from a 160CC single cylinder to a 900CC twin. I'm not looking to race, and I strongly believe I am a responsible rider, but the twins overwhelm me mentally. I don't want to spend 8-9L only to realize that I should maybe have upgraded gradually.

I have been following the Leoncino 500 for the last couple of days. It looks interesting. BUT it just doesn't excite me. The Leoncino is not aggressive looking - which is a win. I might just buy it. But I would want to own the Street Twin some day, maybe in the next 2-4 years. I don't want to spend 6L on the Leoncino and immediately regret not having bough the Street Twin.

I also had a look at the Honda CB300R. It doesn't set my heart on fire, but it does seem like a good motorbike to get back to riding on. And it definitely is much cheaper at around 4L.

So, here are my various options..
  1. Get the Street Twin
  2. Get the Leoncino and hope I don't regret not buying the Street Twin
  3. Get the CB300R, ride for a couple of years with little regret and then buy the Street Twin
  4. Get the Classic 350 because you think it's not really the white elephant it used to be even a few years back, And get teh ST in 2 years.
  5. Get the Interceptor hoping I will get used to the awkward footpegs, and get the ST in 2 years.

What would you do?

More importantly, if you think I should just follow my heart and get the Street Twin, do you think the upgrade from a 160cc single cylinder to a 900cc twin is safe, considering my not so aggressive riding requirements and the fact that the Street Twin is generally considered an entry level motorbike in the west (easy to ride, handle etc)

Help a brother out please!
msnarain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

Get the street twin eyes closed. Even better if you can find a pre-owned one. The power delivery is very linear - you wont be overwhelmed, build quality is top notch & its quite light and nimble in the city.

PS: I was in the same boat as you a couple of years back ..... started with taking a TD of Street Twin followed by lots of TD's. Bought the Z900 ... sold within 6 months and bought Multistrada. 15k kms and 1 yrs down - best choice i made.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
More importantly, if you think I should just follow my heart and get the Street Twin, do you think the upgrade from a 160cc single cylinder to a 900cc twin is safe
If you are comfortable with the spend, you should just get the Street Twin since you like it so much. The logic that you need an intermediate bike only applies if you are directly upgrading to a really fast machine like a focused sports bike. The Twin is very easy to ride and very forgiving which you probably discovered in your test ride. You'll be fine.
Old 16th August 2019, 01:05   #4
BHPian

Street Twin is super and easy to ride -was my first bike. I also have the interceptor and its excellent and can't be beaten for price. Interceptor suspension is also more comfortable. But the street Twin is a blast and many offers from triumph dealers...
Old 16th August 2019, 01:26   #5
BHPian

If you are really confident in handling the power of street twin, go for it. But in my opinion, these naked bikes makes very good for city riding. That is about it. In case if you plan for outstation rides, then street twin is not the kind of motorcycle that you would want. It will tired you quickly due to the insufficient wind protection and also carrying luggage is difficult.

Speak to the dealer and see if he can provide discounts on street twin. Also keep eye on pre-owned market as well. These bikes depreciate like crazy and you will loose lot of money in case if you need to sell it within couple of years.
Old 16th August 2019, 02:40   #6
BANNED

Quote:
A few meters in, the chain jammed and the bike skidded on the tarmac.
By this I presume you're not knowledgeable about the knickknacks of motorcycle maintenance, hence it would be best if you opt for a premium offering as the accompanying service package would be leaps and bounds better than what you get with the Indigenous class of motorcycles.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Love the way all your decision lines are always merging on Street Twin . This hardly looks like a confusion to me.

If that's the way your heart beats, then i would suggest get the Street Twin <Period>.

There is no point, going left, right, front, back and then arriving at your preferred choice, if you already know it, go straight for it. Why go anywhere else?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but 6 years is a long time in which the traffic situation would definitely have gotten worse in Chennai. So, if you are going to use your bike mostly for intra city commuting, I would suggest that you hire a bike for a few days as a trial run, and then based on that experience think again whether you really want to continue down this path.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Hi,

ST and CB300 are pretty good city bikes. Both are easy to handle and reliable. Though I would suggest you go CB300 being its a honda and you should climb up the ladder slowly. But It looks like you are in love with the ST, so you can have a look at the preowned route as well. Whatever you go for do invest in good riding gear.

Cheers.
UT
Old 16th August 2019, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Go for a used Street Twin. From your post it is quite clear that your heart is set on ST so there is no point in buying something which you will end up comparing with ST every time you ride.

I could test ride it once and simply loved it for the nimbleness, linear power delivery and the looks. IMHO, it is a decent sleeper bike which is a good thing if you have to park it in office parking or at any other public place.

There seems to be a couple of used bikes available online in Mumbai at quite a good price point. Check those out first. You would end up losing a lot less on depreciation this way which could help you to upgrade to Speed Twin in future.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 16th August 2019 at 12:01.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bikes I have test ridden in the recent past include the Classic 350, TB350, Interceptor, Jawa 42 etc.
Your location says Chennai, test rides were in Mumbai. Please choose your bike based on service availability at your next job location (if planned).

Quote:
The other bike I have been in love with, and this bike truly sets my heart on fire, is the Street Twin. I have taken multiple test rides and it always has managed to give me a bloody huge grin I sit on it.
Higher capacity bikes are always about heart & experience; if ST has given you smiles on every test ride, it will continue to delight you in every ride. If you wish to tour on it, please get a windshield.

Quote:
It is about the upgrade from a 160CC single cylinder to a 900CC twin.
Don't worry too much. A close relative moved from Suzuki 150cc bike to Tiger 800 last year. He is a mile-muncher though, had more than 1L kms on Suzuki & has munched 16.5k Kms on his tiger in 1 year.

Quote:
So, here are my various options..
first option is the answer.
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:

More importantly, if you think I should just follow my heart and get the Street Twin, do you think the upgrade from a 160cc single cylinder to a 900cc twin is safe, considering my not so aggressive riding requirements and the fact that the Street Twin is generally considered an entry level motorbike in the west (easy to ride, handle etc)

I was using Thunderbird 350 from 2004, then sold it. After a hiatus of 3 years in the year 2016, started looking for a superbike. During that time Ninja 650 was in the horizon but ended up with it's elder cousin Z800. So if you are mature enough, it doesn't really matter.

Why don't you try out the Vulcan S too. It comes with Japenese reliability.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

I always keep telling this; if you've a purpose, then the choice becomes easy. Define your purpose please! What is that you're buying a motorcycle for? It could be any of below in no specific order or intention...
1. Showing off
2. Weekend rides
3. Hang out with friends
4. Feel young
5. Travel across country
6. My neighbor has one
7. My young colleagues are bikers
8. To feel accepted
9. Have lot of money & want to save the sinking automobile industry
10. Wife wants to hop on to one
11. My ex-girlfriend's husband's mistresses's affair has one

and the list goes on

And if the above purpose is defined, then there's clearly atleast one motorcycle against each of the purpose
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
11. My ex-girlfriend's husband's mistresses's affair has one

and the list goes on

And if the above purpose is defined, then there's clearly atleast one motorcycle against each of the purpose
, point 11, I literally fell of the chair. On a side note does any one care so much?

Quote:

I guess you now have a good idea on what I am looking at - a relaxed riding with a good balance of commuting and the occasional weekend rides. I don't want to be chasing the KTMs of the world, nor do I want a machine that would let me do a 0-60 in 3 seconds. I just want a bike that would let me tackle my mid-life crisis at my own pace. (34 is mid-life crisis, yes?)

I also want a motorbike that would let me just ride. I wouldn't want the hassles of maintaining a bike at this age. I would rather spend that time with my kid. This kinda throws the Classic 350 and TB50 out of the window. Plus my office in Mumbai is less than a 20 minute ride, one way. The REs battery will start giving me a hard time if I ride such short distances everyday - please correct me if I am wrong here. These are some great machines, but I don't think I have the emotional bandwidth to invest my time and energy on another kid.
I think the OP has clearly stated the reason.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
, point 11, I literally fell of the chair. On a side note does any one care so much?
Once a guy tells me he bought a motorcycle just to please his wife who wants to ride as pillion. He rides like an "uncle" (no offence) on the right extreme of the road on his RE riding like 39 Kmph!! Visualize a scene like he's a little over a pencil & his Wife is all over the RE Added to that a little figment of imagination = point 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I think the OP has clearly stated the reason.
Mid life crisis for a motorcycle - no comments! Like I said, how the bike is to be used actually forms the purpose. And once that's found out, it becomes easy to choose the motorcycle. And there's no heart & brain choice!! Every thought originates from brain & the hearts work is only to pump the blood. It's the conflict of thoughts that leaves one indecisive
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks