Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 23:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Broken into two pieces

When I see brand /product bashing threads like these, I always one question in my mind
"Do the posters / bashers own the exact product in discussion and are relating their own experiences?

The easy answer for the majority if not all negative posts on this thread wrt to the Himalayan : NO!

I believe I know what to take from such random discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My bike feels strong enough and I am not very concerned at this point of time.
Thank you.

+100 to this.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th August 2019 at 23:31.
ninjatalli is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 05:39   #32
BHPian

On one hand my sympathies to the customers who faced such ordeal. It should happen to no one, but on the other, the conditions of failure is something that none of us can comment upon without having experienced the same or at least being present in the vicinity of the incident. I am not a die hard Himalayan fan. In fact I don't like the way it sounds or even the way it looks but I wouldn't bash RE without knowing all the details of the failure. As a general rule of thumb, may it be an RE Himalayan or even a Triumph Tiger, it is certainly in our hands to be careful and be wary of the chances of failure. They are after all machines and every machine has its limit. Ride safe. God bless all
Old 29th August 2019, 09:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

People justifying the RE for quality have seriously low expectations from Indian Manufacturers. If Tata was bashed up for almost 5 years for poor quality due to the indica, RE deserves the same treatment. They have minted money without investing in design or R&D. Tata being Tata, pulled up their game and are now giving us world class cars, though sporadically. RE is on its way to better products, but the poor quality and reliability are bad enough for RE to get all the bashing they are currently.

Anyone here with an RE with 100000 kms on the ODO without being stranded? I think with my Unicorn and CBZ, I have never been stranded, even with a 2001 CBZ. (combined running well over 100000)

REs are the blondes of the biking world - Irritating and dumb, but, who cares as long as they are droolworthy!
2000rpm is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:17   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

Anyone here with an RE with 100000 kms on the ODO without being stranded? I think with my Unicorn and CBZ, I have never been stranded, even with a 2001 CBZ. (combined running well over 100000)
My 2003 Thunderbird does not have an Odometer.
I removed it for aesthetic reasons in 2005. It had 25000 KMS on it.

In 2018 based on the amount of riding I do, it was surely over the 100k mark. Most probably close to 150k.

Mentioned 2018 as I got the Himalayan and it became my primary commute bike.

Have a lot of friends with similar numbers on their bikes.

My bike has never stranded itself. Even when she ran out of petrol, she did it in front of a petrol pump.
bblost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:28   #35
BHPian

Ahh, the same old RE Worshipers Vs Rationalist story. At the end of pages and pages of authoritative opinions , word vomits , affirmation of faith , peer reviews, quality inductions , street experiences etc with no clear consensus emerging, this too shall pass.
srini1785 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:34   #36
BHPian

The other day I was offroading on a bs4 Himalayan at the outskirts of Hyderabad at a dedicated off-road trail. The bike had been brutally abused by several other riders. The cone set bearings were locking up automatically and preventing easy flicks on sand.

However I must say Himalayan is a very abuse friendly bike and the product that sells more will definitely have ones with issues that get amplified unnecessarily.

PS: I am not a RE fan, just learning more about it.

Last edited by ARAY : 29th August 2019 at 10:37.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
When I see brand /product bashing threads like these, I always one question in my mind
"Do the posters / bashers own the exact product in discussion and are relating their own experiences?

The easy answer for the majority if not all negative posts on this thread wrt to the Himalayan : NO!

I believe I know what to take from such random discussions.

Thank you.

+100 to this.
Well you obviously don’t own a himalayan either and this is a Himalayan thread , . I do and I’ve lost count of the number of times mine has gone into the svc. Do read my post earlier about the number of issues I’ve had. It isn’t my first RE either but definitely my last. My confidence in the bike s reliability is next to zero and I use it solely now for the commute to wk, which is 5 mins. As a result it’s not even crossed 10k since 2016. And my conscience will not allow me to sell it to some unsuspecting fool either . Which is a pity since it’s great fun to ride , when it’s running
howler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-16-years.html

Crossed 120k kms now. The engine is untouched and runs like a charm.

Quote:
REs are the blondes of the biking world - Irritating and dumb, but, who cares as long as they are droolworthy!
Depends on how you look at them and use them. For me, my 2002 Electra is more trustworthy than a human.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th August 2019 at 16:17. Reason: typo
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:23   #39
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Broken into two pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Why am I not surprised to read this.

@Jaggu - Suggest your friend that a KTM or Bajaj Dominar or there is one from Mahindra, I am forgetting the name that would be better than this.
I suppose you are referring to Mahindra Mojo. My brother owns it for the last 2 years and 28K on the ODO. One heck of a bike which can handle anything and everything thrown at it.

PS: I have 2 RE 350 in the family and they are also good in their own way. So no offense to RE owners.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 13:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like stress concentration crack. They have to thoroughly review the frame fabrication process especially welding.
See the attached picture of RE Himalayan frame. Cracks/failure are reported in the area where square tube - round tube welded together. This is a very tricky joint as two shapes are different and there is an angle between two parts.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Broken into two pieces-2018royalenfieldhimalayan13.jpg

Following parameters are key for the quality of this joint:
Dimensional accuracy of two parts
Preparation of edges of parts (e.g weld notch)
Quality of weld fixtures
Quality of welding
Post welding finishing and protection

Any problem in one or above will result in bad weld joint and cause stress concentration (uneven distribution of force). It will be very high especially during dynamic load conditions (during adventure rides).

One solution to strengthen joint like is to add strengthening pieces (gusset) like the one in below picture.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Broken into two pieces-gusset.jpg

Original pic source: Rider Manazine, polyperformance

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th August 2019 at 13:51.
Latheesh is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
One of my friend is actually thinking about reinforcing the chassis (like what folks do for Offroad competition vehicle). Since he is planning on a ride across India :(
hi Jaggu,
would be great if you share more details on this as and when it happens. I will be keen to replicate the same on my bike as well.
Old 29th August 2019, 15:01   #42
BHPian

My personal experience with RE has not been so hunky dory. Pushing a 200 kg behemoth is not something I can forget very quickly. My humble opinion on this: REs are over-rated and over-hyped.
Now I came across this video in FB. From what I see, the point of impact seems to be the joint illustrated by Latheesh.

Regards
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 15:28   #43
BHPian

I have never owned the Himalayan but I have owned a 2012 Tb350 and now I own a Int 650.
While I would not say that RE motorcycles are over rated, as they are in many ways unique and have a different charm to them, at the same time they are also unique in being the worst in terms of quality. (Have owned Yamaha, Bajaj, Hero Honda in the past).

My Thunderbird came with a leaking fuel Tap from the showroom. Had electrical issues and loose connections etc,. Had to replace the engine bearings along with crankshaft connecting rod just with 14000 km running.
Have already shared my experience with Interceptor in the twins thread. My bike is luckily fine as of now.
But others I know are facing way too many quality related issues, to the extent that two of them have put up their Int 650 for sale and booked the new Dominar.
Anyone who has had a trouble-free ownership experience with an RE, I would just consider them lucky.
RE really needs to up their game on QC.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 15:33   #44
BHPian

This is not sure that the frame broke due to abuse or manufacturing defect. It is clear and acceptable that Himalayan had quality issues in its first batch and RE fixed those silently in the regular service. RE should learn from its own mistakes. At least from the second batch, they should have sorted out the quality issues.

If RE listens to its customer's feedback and fixes the niggles and come up with a quality Himalayan, 400CC ADV within 2 lakhs on-road is still a worth buying.
Old 29th August 2019, 17:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
come up with a quality Himalayan, 400CC ADV within 2 lakhs on-road is still a worth buying.
Keep dreaming. The current Himalayan is around 1.9 lakh on road. The 400 cc version will be at least a lakh dearer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks