Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 16:40   #16
BHPian

re: My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold

Hi Arun,

Congratulation on your new ride. Jawa has managed to strike a perfect cord between a retro design combined with a modern heart.

I'm waiting for my 42, while checking both classic and the 42 at the showroom, somehow heart favoured 42, but after seeing your classic, now the mind is behaving like a pendulum

Enjoy your ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Don't think so. But the old 2 Stroke would sometimes start running the wrong way. And you engage gear, release clutch - and fly off backwards.
May be he is trying to refer the same lever used as a kick starter and the gear lever
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Congrats Arun on the wonderful retro classic Jawa. Wishing you many miles of enjoyable motoring.

I was a little apprehensive about the design and features when the first test mule pics came out but it seems the end product has sure made a splash. Although I wasn't a die hard fan of the original Jawa/Yezdi, the new design is slowly growing on me!

Of course the few quality issues of the rusting, speedo fogging etc in this day and age when technology has advanced so much is not acceptable, but lets give some allowance to Jawa as its the first product from their rebirth and hope the company takes serious note and rectifies them.

Anyways, last week I watched the full set of videos posted by the YT user Toll Free Traveller of the Jawa sponsored IbexTrails2019 ride in Ladakh and all the bikes were being ridden aggressively in that hostile terrain and they all seem to have coped fairly well. Of course long term reliability and durability is to be seen as the years progress but the bikes seem to be doing well. Posting one of the videos here:

Last edited by Haroon : 30th September 2019 at 20:54.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I remember the key now. It used to be tear drop shape and was not flat. Was a shiny smooth without any texture. And also the end of the stick in the key (if that is the right word) was like a headphone jack. The big headphone jack. Maybe my memory is failing me. All messed up.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful machine! Absolutely beautiful in white!

This thread and those pictures of the Jawa with the Padmini in the background feels like such a breath of fresh air in 2019.

I so really want to see the Yezdi back on the roads again! And hopefully, Mahindra and Classic Legends sort out all the quality issues soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 09:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I cannot remember any bike getting this much attention in the office parking lot, and that parking lot has seen many Japanese and Italian exotics.

Interestingly enough most of these admirers were not born when the old jawa was ruling the streets, when I was growing up, yezdi was around but Jawa , I do not remember seeing them around(maybe once or twice). But it looks strangely familiar, nostalgic, an artwork in comparison to modern bikes.
So true. Jawa is such a looker. Those who notice the motorcycle, just keep staring at it be it on the road or in the parking lot. During a recent breakfast ride with some exotics, the most talked about motorcycle was the Jawa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Now, I too want to buy a Jawa!
Is the seat as low as in scooters? That should make the city driving really easy.
The seat height is very similar to that of Bajaj Avenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Arun, Congratulations you lucky so and so. Wish you many happy & safe miles. The new Jawa looks even better than the original Jawa. :-) A generation and more back the Jawa was the modern man's bike. Only one or two chaps in my college days had a Jawa and would permanently be r the envy of all the guys even if he didn't have a girl on the back seat.
Thank you Sir. Nice old memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I liked your way of writing, crisp and appealing. Wishing you trouble free ownership.

How has been the response from service team regarding the niggles?
Thank you!

With regard to the niggles, I have only consulted them for the Check engine light issue. The service advisor asked me if the bike is running fine. When I said yes, he said then simply ignore the warnings. He went on to say they do not have stock of the new lambda sensor which is causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Love they way you put it all together. Pic from the past created the nostalgia.
A quick Q from my side having booked Jawa 42 myself with test ride due! How would you compare handle bar positioning of both? I mean which is more comfortable and relaxed? and which one is more good in handling?
Cheers!
Thank you! Sorry, I am not sure of the 42. I always thought the handles are same.
arun1100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 22:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Presenting my June 2019 JAWA!
Many thanks for sharing this thread.

My friend got delivery of his Jawa few days back, couple of months ahead of online delivery estimator. Coincidentally, his bike colour is same as yours. I may carry out photo-shoot of his bike, can I share those photos on your thread if you don't mind?

Here is his bike photo when we had gone for PDI.
My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-pdi01.jpg

Quote:
What I dislike:
  • The speedometer's speed marking (speed range between 60 kmph to 120 kmph) isn’t clearly visible to the rider while riding.
I had a tough time to understand speeds, stopped giving a look at console after initial few Kms.
Quote:
  • Moisture is seen in the meter and headlight after few kms of riding.
This is still an issue for console and service center already acknowledged it as an issue. Console weren't in stock & my friend has been promised a replacement in first service.

Check these 2 photos taken on day of delivery (non-rainy day in Pune).

Moisture in console in daytime
My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-odofoggingday.jpg

Moisture in console in evening
My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-odofoggingevening.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 18:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
Hi Arun,

Congratulation on your new ride. Jawa has managed to strike a perfect cord between a retro design combined with a modern heart.

I'm waiting for my 42, while checking both classic and the 42 at the showroom, somehow heart favoured 42, but after seeing your classic, now the mind is behaving like a pendulum
Thank you! The Classic is really a looker. As I said, Classic Legends have done a exceptionally good job when it comes to looks and styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Beautiful machine! Absolutely beautiful in white!
This thread and those pictures of the Jawa with the Padmini in the background feels like such a breath of fresh air in 2019.
Thank you for the detailed feedback you gave to make this thread a complete one. Hope our members and guests are benefited with the information provided here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Many thanks for sharing this thread.
My friend got delivery of his Jawa few days back, couple of months ahead of online delivery estimator. Coincidentally, his bike colour is same as yours. I may carry out photo-shoot of his bike, can I share those photos on your thread if you don't mind?
Attachment 1922125
Thank you! The meter console's pics look really bad. My service advisor did not tell me about the possibility of the rectified meter being replaced.
Old 13th October 2019, 09:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics from the Ayudha Puja day.

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-img20191008wa0032.jpg

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-img20191008wa0034.jpg

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-img20191008wa0138.jpg

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-img20191008wa0149.jpg

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-img20191008wa0152.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 13th October 2019 at 09:37.
arun1100 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 18:05   #24
BHPian

Awesome thread indeed. I'm planning to book Jawa Classic and I did take a test drive too. The test drive bike in Chennai had 15,000 km in the ODO and had heavy chain noise. Can someone post the long term review like (performance, Mileage, Service Cost, Frequent spare replacement ) so that I can decide accordingly.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 08:49   #25
BHPian

I took delivery of my Jawa 42 yesterday. 2 things have me worried. The Delivery Executive (DE) from Safina Motors in B'lore (I had it delivered to my home at an extra cost) told me that these problems will get sorted out over time. Let me explain...

1. Centre Stand assembly is grazing on the ground when negotiating turns when there is a pillion seated. To this the DE said that Jawa is a low bike and that this happens when there is a pillion seated and that I should get the bike to the Service Station where they will adjust the suspension and increase the height of the bike! Right now to avoid grazing, I am negotiating turn at speeds as low as 10kmph. I took my son out for a ride in the morning and I noticed that it was grazing on speed-humps (Bangalore does not have speed breakers)

2. I have noticed that the Bike is switching off while riding in case the speeds are low and one is at higher gear. While the DE said that this can be checked at the Service Station, but the reality is that I have not been driving a bike for quite sometime, and this must be to do with coordination. Having said that, I have not faced this when I have driven my friend's RE350.

I wrote about the same on the Jawa FB page and the Communiti page on the Jawa website, but there has been no response.

Any thoughts on these two issues?
Paco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 11:25   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
1. Centre Stand assembly is grazing on the ground when negotiating turns when there is a pillion seated.
Happens on low GC motorcycles.

In stock form it was a quite common occurrence on my P220, issue was resolved with upgrading shocks to taller ones.

Adjusting suspension will not raise height, it will only increase pre-load and reduce sag which is a temporary relief if nothing.

Quote:
2. I have noticed that the Bike is switching off while riding in case the speeds are low and one is at higher gear.
Thumb rule: If there isn't engine braking when you close throttle, DOWNSHIFT!!!

Rather than machine's convenience this practice also ensures that the rider rides in the power-band and remains safe in the process.

Quote:
I have not faced this when I have driven my friend's RE350.
Unfair comparison, the RE runs off a long stroke pushrod motor which makes torque like a locomotive.

Plus the gearing is such that the motorcycle literally doesn't come with overdrive, in effect any gear your in effectively becomes the right gear.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 12:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
I took delivery of my Jawa 42 yesterday.

1. Centre Stand assembly is grazing on the ground when negotiating turns when there is a pillion seated.
I went to Bright Automotive, Hyderabad to cancel my 42 booking last Friday, when I was asked for a reason, I have mentioned various issues that were reported by the owners and told him the low ground clearance was the final nail in the coffin. He told me that the low GC issue was taken care of in the new batches and CLPL has installed 'few rubber parts' to eliminate the scraping noise.

I had my doubts about his claims, but from your experience, it seems it was just some marketing mumble jumble.

Edit: Shumi in this comparo of Jawa Classic with Benelli Imperiale mentions about this very issue and goes on to say its form over function that defines the Jawa.

Last edited by tchsvy : 5th January 2020 at 12:38.
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 22:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Here are some pics from the Ayudha Puja day.
@Arun1100 Any updates on your motorcycle? How has the experience been till now? I guess it has been around 6 months since the ownership started - any service updates or niggles?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th January 2020 at 23:26. Reason: Fixed broken quotes. Thanks.
Accelro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 07:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Jawa is doing great. No more new niggles and the current ones are well sorted. Currently the Jawa is with Bhpian Sandeep K Ram who is a avid Jawa enthusiast and owns some of the rare old Jawa motorcycles.

I visited the Jawa showroom yesterday to checkout the dual channel models of Classic. Happy to say the finish is much better now. Jawa and 42 BS4 models are readily available as of today. Right time to buy one before the price hike.
Old 31st May 2021, 15:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

March 16th 2020, just before the lockdown, Bhpian funkykar (Karthik Makam) and me got home our 2020 BS4 Dual Channel ABS Jawa. Barely rode the bike due to WFH ever since. 15 months up, rode 3k kms. Only niggle so far was the lambda sensor issue which caused the check engine light to glow always while riding. In the last service, the sensor was changed. I had to pay for it as there was a rat bite too.

Here are some newest pics of the Jawa.

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-20210530_181525.jpg

My 2019 Jawa - Ownership review of the reborn legend! EDIT: Now sold-20210530_182056.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 31st May 2021 at 15:51.
arun1100 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks