Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 17:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Okinawa PraisePro electric scooter launched at Rs. 71,990

Earlier this year, Okinawa Scooters had launched its all-electric i-Praise scooter. Now, the company has launched the PraisePro at a price of Rs. 71,990 (ex-showroom).

Visually similar to the i-Praise, the Okinawa PraisePro measures 1,970 mm in length, 745 mm in width and 1,165 mm in height. It has a ground clearance of 175 mm and underseat storage capacity of 7 litres. It features a V-shaped LED headlamp cluster mounted on the front fairing. The e-scooter rides on telescopic fork suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear and comes with aluminium alloy wheels.

Powering the i-Praise is an electric motor with a rated power of 1,000 Watt, with a peak power of 2,500 Watt. The motor is paired with a 2.0 kWh lithium-ion battery that offers a claimed range of 88-110 km on a single charge. The battery pack in this scooter is detachable and can be recharged in 2-3 hours.

Other features include central locking with anti-theft alarm, keyless entry, USB charging port, find my scooter function and a motor walk assist.

Name:  Screenshot 20190909 at 5.55.40 PM.png
Views: 4468
Size:  270.0 KB

Okinawa PraisePro electric scooter launched at Rs. 71,990-blue.png

Okinawa PraisePro electric scooter launched at Rs. 71,990-orange1.png

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 9th September 2019 at 17:58.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Okinawa PraisePro electric scooter launched at Rs. 71,990

I am interested to know the ownership experiences of anyone who owns one. I am seriously considering an e scooter and my requirements are

1. Detachable battery with charger that fits a normal 230V AC socket.
2. Per day driving range of 65 Kms and would be used 3-4 days a week.
3. Top speed of around 60kmph.
4. Single rider usage. I have another bike(s) to do the doubles act.
5. Around 80K. No frills drive only bikes preferred if cost is lower.

How long does the battery last?. Last time i put off buying one of these since i heard that the battery lasts only 3 years and would cost around 40K.
Old 21st October 2019, 20:43   #3
BHPian

We are in the market looking for a replacement scooter for dad's 13 year old Aviator.
It has clocked 1.5l kms and has been rebored twice. It's very efficient to run and gives us around 10-13 kmpl.

Dad's usage has gone down drastically and it will be used mostly for roundabouts for daily needs.

We are going electric.

I test drove the Okinawa Praise Pro today.

It has a 1000w motor and a 2kwh battery. It goes for around 70km in sport and 90 in eco mode.

Eco limits speed to 35 Km/hr, but doesn't reduce the acceleration.

It's good to ride, has good headlamps and looks good too.

It's coming to 87600 on road here with 5 years of Insurance.
Old 21st January 2020, 12:47   #4
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I am also on the lookout for a decent electric bike. This seems to be a good option, but I am unable to find any ownership reviews on this.
Any experience from our Teambhpians?
Old 21st January 2020, 15:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I am interested to know the ownership experiences of anyone who owns one. I am seriously considering an e scooter and my requirements are

1. Detachable battery with charger that fits a normal 230V AC socket.
2. Per day driving range of 65 Kms and would be used 3-4 days a week.
3. Top speed of around 60kmph.
4. Single rider usage. I have another bike(s) to do the doubles act.
5. Around 80K. No frills drive only bikes preferred if cost is lower.

How long does the battery last?. Last time i put off buying one of these since i heard that the battery lasts only 3 years and would cost around 40K.

Top speed is going to be a challenge. Unless you are looking at a Chetak or Ather, the top speed for many models is about 50Kmph with single rider. For achieving good speed with load on the vehicle, you need at least a 2000watt motor with peaks wattage above that. Higher motor wattage consumes more battery. So unless you drive with gradual acceleration, etc. you wont get the desired range.

Battery warranty is for 3 years /50,000KMs for Chetak and 3 years / unlimited for Ather. Pack replacement with current costs is about 40,000₹. But even if you add that cost to your monthly running cost, it is cheaper than running a regular scooter.

If you can handle a motorbike, then Revolt RV400 is a good option on a 3 year lease.
ohaak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:47   #6
BHPian

Sorry, but how is running cost lower than a conventional petrol scooter ?

A super quick rough calculation --
  • Cost of replacement battery pack: 40K* (say every 4 years)
  • Electricity cost: 1K p.m
That's roughly 2K pm in running costs. I've not met many scooter owners who fill petrol worth that much. Genuinely interested to know.

OTOH, conventional scooter can be filled up anywhere (no worry about refueling at a charging-point or home), can be serviced by any mechanic (at least the Carburetor based ones, FI might be more challenging), but most importantly, other than Ather, so far there is no other brand who makes "very reliable" eScooters. Most are simply assembling part imported from China, and some are of very questionable quality.

Last edited by bdutta : 30th January 2020 at 22:49.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 00:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Sorry, but how is running cost lower than a conventional petrol scooter ?
A super quick rough calculation --
  • Cost of replacement battery pack: 40K* (say every 4 years)
  • Electricity cost: 1K p.m
That's roughly 2K pm in running costs. I've not met many scooter owners who fill petrol worth that much. Genuinely interested to know.
Sorry for going OT: But even my e2o 4 wheeler doesn't cost more than Rs500-600 per month for an average 1K KM per month. I am interested to know how much monthly running would an electric 2 wheeler do with Rs1K worth of electricity.
Also, My e2o is 5 years old now. Battery is still good and should last much more before I see any major degradation. Why would a scooter battery require replacement in 4 years?
Old 31st January 2020, 00:27   #8
BHPian

As an ex Reva (2nd gen) owner having owned and used it extensively for office commute and sundry runs, I remember that for my 3.5kVA meter connection, the average monthly bill with Reva being charged every other day was in the range of Rs.2500/- and after I stopped using it the monthly bill dropped to about Rs.1200/-. And this was 4-5 years back. Electricity charges have increased twice since then, and so I extrapolated it to be roughly Rs.1000/- pm.

Of course, Reva used VRLA and Ather/PraisePro uses a Lithium ion array, so there is a significant difference in efficiency. Also, the Lithium ion array should last longer than 4yrs (while Reva's VRLA lasted roughly 3.5yrs), but we are talking of extending life by careful, very judicious use of the accelerator, disciplined charging etc.
Old 31st January 2020, 10:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
As an ex Reva (2nd gen) owner having owned and used it extensively for office commute and sundry runs, I remember that for my 3.5kVA meter connection, the average monthly bill with Reva being charged every other day was in the range of Rs.2500/- and after I stopped using it the monthly bill dropped to about Rs.1200/-. And this was 4-5 years back. Electricity charges have increased twice since then, and so I extrapolated it to be roughly Rs.1000/- pm.
I have an Ather 450 and I charge around 1-2 times a week, so my additional electricity consumption comes to around 150/- a month. If you were spending 1000/- per month on electricity for a bike, you might be spending more time charging than riding it .
Old 29th March 2022, 10:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is what the company has to say about the Fire incident

Okinawa PraisePro electric scooter launched at Rs. 71,990-whatsapp-image-20220329-10.10.32-am.jpeg

- Batteries have to be at room temperature?

Do they even proofread what they write? or these scooters are to be kept inside the home?

- Charge the batteries only after one hour of its use

Does it mean, one can only charge at work or home with spare time on hand, and not on the way, transiting somewhere?

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...rcuit/90497902

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th March 2022 at 10:15.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 18:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

First ever EV recall: Okinawa to recall 3,215 batteries.

Two of the several EV fire incidents involved Okinawa Autotech scooters.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th April 2022 at 18:59.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 20:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do they even proofread what they write? or these scooters are to be kept inside the home?
Probably because they just copied what the battery manufacturer gave them since they're just assembling the kits instead of manufacturing.

Here's an excerpt from a discussion in a different thread.
The model from Okinawa and the related kit.
Not saying its the same but the similarities speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
That's the Okinawa Dual, comes in various configurations of seating and battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Just googled it now, and here is the kit from China for import.

https://m.made-in-china.com/product/...906472645.html
The battery safety aspect is really concerning with the proliferation of the EV scooter manufacturers.
Especially with the removable batteries the hazard comes upstairs.

The concern for a e-waste disaster is also valid when these scooters aren't feasible to be repaired due to steep costs of motor and battery.

Last edited by shancz : 16th April 2022 at 20:24. Reason: ccl

Most Viewed