Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2019, 13:14   #16
BHPian

Re: TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995

I have the startup issue with Grazia as well. Earlier sent to service center and they changed the spark plug and problem was not solved. Next time i got the battery changed and i still have the same issues. Honda says the same to use daily which we can't but still happens after leaving it on some days for 10-15 minutes.
Old 10th October 2019, 20:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

So I waited for Activa 125 BS6, found it not so appealing. Went back to square one, to rediscover a scooter that had tugged my heart long back but was missing LED headlights (which I wanted). So dived straight in and got my original heart-stopper NTORQ. The Race Edition. What will I be missing if I don't wait till 2020? Nothing. This bike has it all. In fact I will be saving a few thousand bucks (Activa 125 BS6 Top End is now 1,02,000 on-road Bangalore). Yes, it's a lakh rupees now. NTORQ is a smooth operator, and my friends are using for over a year - no issues. Good reviews all round. So that was my thinking process, booked the first one, and the bike is at the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_3012.jpg  

TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_3026.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 09:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Pls bear with my rambling...

Meanwhile in Chennai, Activa BS6 is not available on showrooms, but will require Rs 1000 as booking amount for a vehicle that will be delivered after 2 months. Other features such as external opening lid, disk brakes, LED light,

This is ok, but what is not ok is the refund will be only for Rs 900. 10% is restocking fee. As usual, the OTR is a little over Rs 91000, typical Honda.

While NTorq race edition is a little over Rs 87000, but is not BS6 ready

So, if one looks the market at the moment, no one will cater to what's the demand of the day trying to still take the advantage of situation despite what the auto industry is undergoing. One hand we have a connected smartage scooter but does not adapt to the govt norms, other side we have a scooter adhering to govt norms but misses few on latest connectivity. Price wise, more or less there. I'm sure by Mar 2020 NTorq should have a BS6 engine (Fi) with a price tag closer to Activa BS6, while the latter should be available from Jan 2020. Until then, its whatever these people are able to sell, they'll close off the inventory

Edit - Oh!! BTW, here's how the conversation went at TVS (translated from Thamizh) at around 5:45 PM

Me: Need a NTorq for TD
Rep: Sir, we don't give a TD vehicle after 6 Pm
Me: Is it your policy or by govt?
Rep: Vehicles with basket numbers cannot be driven after 6 PM sir
Me: Is it a govt rule?
Rep: Enforced by RTO sir
Me: Ok (we go till the door & turn back)
Me: Up to you if you don't want to make a sale especially around this time of the year besides you see the time is just 5:50 Pm
Rep: Ok, sir 1 moment (and times goes till 5:55 Pm)
Me: Are you up to another trick of getting past 6:00 Pm to adhere to your principles?
Rep: No sir, another 1 minute pls

And we did get a green NTorq...that was another poor customer's scooter left for service

Last edited by aargee : 13th October 2019 at 09:22.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 08:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Just sharing a piece of information. Yesterday, I started the scooter after almost a month, in cold climate, and everything was fine. I tried the self start once but, didn't want to drain out the battery and kick-started it. Started in the 4th kick.

Isn't this usual for all similar scooters? So, no cold start issues.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Just sharing a piece of information. Yesterday, I started the scooter after almost a month, in cold climate, and everything was fine. I tried the self start once but, didn't want to drain out the battery and kick-started it. Started in the 4th kick.

From my experience, TVS scooters have very less cold start problems. It is the Honda twins that are notorious for the cold start issues . Our wego started in 2 attempts after 10 days of idle.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:54   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From my experience, TVS scooters have very less cold start problems. It is the Honda twins that are notorious for the cold start issues . Our wego started in 2 attempts after 10 days of idle.
+1 Sagarpadaki.

Honda twins are the most suffering from this cold start issue. There are at least 4 Activa's in my neighborhood who struggle to get their scooters started. A minimum 15 kicks are required for it wake up from its deep slumber.

Even my scooter used to trouble a lot. Changed the jets, re-tuned the Carb, changed the spark plug, changed the battery, changed the piping related to fuel supply etc but no use. If the scooter is used everyday, it starts in 2-3 kicks but if there is a gap of say 5+ days, then only God can help.

Only thing left to change and see other than the engine is getting a new carb.
Old 14th October 2019, 12:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1 Sagarpadaki.

Honda twins are the most suffering from this cold start issue. There are at least 4 Activa's in my neighborhood who struggle to get their scooters started. A minimum 15 kicks are required for it wake up from its deep slumber.
Very strange, I wonder what went wrong with the newer Honda scooters?
I've a 2006 Activa run 20K kms that is parked outside in rain & sun. It starts with a single press of the automatic starter even after 15 days regardless of the season.
The only time I kick started it was when the battery was on it's way out & it was a nightmare! By the way it runs some cheap Techtron battery that I got for 900 bucks, some 3 years back.
Old is gold?
But, am tempted by the Ntorq.
Old 14th October 2019, 13:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1 Sagarpadaki.

The reason could be the lean tuning of these engines. We have a 2012 Activa which has done 98xx kms only. It barely run 50 kms per month on an average. However it starts in 2-3 kicks or 1-2 self starts when kept idle for 2-3 weeks. If used daily then 1 kick or self is enough.

However our scooter runs slightly rich. It drinks more petrol but has excellent performance - real smooth idle after long hibernation and superb acceleration.

I have seen this difference in our 1st gen Bajaj Caliber which had no drama on a cold winter morning. On the other hand, we got a Caliber 115 which was more fuel efficient but took few kicks and then quite some time to warm up for a normal performance.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

My NTORQ Race Edition has Auto Choke, so it starts at first press in the coldest of mornings. TBHPians Manjunag and Krishnap are using for a year and have recommended me this buy. Big thanks to them, as this scooter build quality is really good (even the nuts and bolts look premium in quality, and should last). Puts the fun back into a mundane activity of riding a scooter. LOL. Got the bike wrapped in transparent PPF. (That, there was the last bit...)
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_3418.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 14th October 2019 at 15:03.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of months ago, I was told by a mech that, scooter these days comes with lesser number of starter coils that are equipped to start the scooter along with battery unlike mine (2005 model) that can start the vehicle even without the juice from battery. Although we debated for quite some time how this is possible, he left me with a conclusion that Honda is doing a cost cutting on this approach.

I don't know how this can be done because I'm from the Rx era where we kick & the bike wakes up (same as my Activa). I simply cannot comprehend as what & how battery could aid along with a kicker.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 17:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is the best looking scooter in India right now!!!! Sticks out in a crowd. (Seeing no cold-start issues as of now). I had so many youngsters walk up to me and ask about the Race Edition. This will do well, for sure. Since my experience with Preetham Motors was not good, I wrote to TVS and both the regional head and service head are in touch, ensuring I have no issues - moving forward. Found them very approachable and eager to help. Will update this thread on my ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_4304.jpg  

TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_4419.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 22nd October 2019 at 17:33.
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 12:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Neat, detailed review of the latest show-stopper on two wheels.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

I've used the scooter for some time, and it's great. One irritant is the white space around the filler hole which collects the last few drops of fuel dripping from the gun (at the gas station). This has to be wiped after every fill, else the area yellows. I have seen a drop or two of water over there as well, after heavy rains. Maybe, it was designed for that but could have been more 'bike-like'.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_6409.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 14:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

So thoughtful of TVS to give a powerful LED light in the glove box. It is really helpful, and we wonder how we managed without it for so many years. Not sure if there are other scooters with 'factory fitted' glove box light?
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_7258.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 20:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

This could be nit-picking but the gaps in switch gear allows debris to get inside. That, there...is a dry leaf, and it's driving me nuts since I cant reach in
Attached Thumbnails
TVS NTorq 125 Race Edition launched at Rs. 62,995-img_7593.jpg  

Most Viewed