Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2019, 13:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha FZ & YZF-R15 BS-VI engine specs leaked

Documents revealing the BS-VI engine specifications of the Yamaha FZ series and YZF-R15 have leaked online.

Yamaha FZ & YZF-R15 BS-VI engine specs leaked-bsviyamahayzfr15leakedspecifications1173b.jpg

According to the documents, the BS-VI compliant Yamaha YZF-R15 is likely to be powered by a 155cc engine producing 18 BHP @ 10,000 rpm. In comparison, in its present configuration, the engine makes 19 BHP of peak power. The 6-speed transmission is likely to be carried over unchanged. The dimensions of the bike are not expected to change either.

Yamaha FZ & YZF-R15 BS-VI engine specs leaked-bsviyamahafzsleakedspecifications106f9-1.jpg

The BS-VI compliant Yamaha FZ and FZS are expected to get a 149cc, single-cylinder engine with an output of 12 BHP @ 7,250 rpm, which is 1 BHP less than what the present engine puts out. The new engine is expected to be paired with a 5-speed gearbox. In terms of dimensions, both models are likely to be identical to the outgoing versions.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th October 2019 at 13:57.
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ & YZF-R15 BS-VI engine specs leaked

So basically, all the people who had been waiting for the BS-VI vehicles without understanding what it really means to the end customer will now pay more for a vehicle that is less powerful than before, but nicer to the environment.

If I were in the market for a two-wheeler, I would pounce and get one ASAP.
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 14:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

12 Horse power?
How on earth did Yamaha manage to produce such a tiny amount of power from a 150cc plant?
I mean, is that engine really that constipated, that it has to drop 10% of it's power output on every emission cycle!
Old 15th October 2019, 18:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
12 Horse power?
How on earth did Yamaha manage to produce such a tiny amount of power from a 150cc plant?
I mean, is that engine really that constipated, that it has to drop 10% of it's power output on every emission cycle!
Paper specs almost never tell the complete story. I wouldn't dismiss it off without a test ride for sure

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 15th October 2019 at 18:51.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 19:43   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Paper specs almost never tell the complete story. I wouldn't dismiss it off without a test ride for sure
Spot on, the FZ16 was never known for its power output. The thing did one thing and it did it well I.e handle spectacularly.

Don't know about the rest but personally even after riding machines that put out almost double the output of the FZ16 I would still pick one up provided Yamaha stayed true to the product.
Old 15th October 2019, 19:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Spot on, the FZ16 was never known for its power output. The thing did one thing and it did it well I.e handle spectacularly.
Good low end too!

I haven't tested any of the recent iterations, but used to ride the original extensively. The handling + low end made it a fun tool for the city.
Old 15th October 2019, 19:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
12 Horse power?
Don't dismiss the specs of a bike without riding it. When I had to prematurely sell of my old Kariza due to innumerable problems I didn't have a budget to buy a similar priced bike and had to settle for a 150cc bike. I had almost zeroed i on the Honda Unicorn but my mechanic brought a FZ150 (carb version) for me to test. I almost balked at the thought of riding an FZ as I felt it was a poser bike.

All that changed when I rode the bike. The engine was a revelation. Even today it still puts a smile on my face when I rip the throttle on an open road. Sure its not nearly the fastest 150cc around but who cares when whatever power is there is delivered so nicely.
Old 15th October 2019, 21:04   #8
BHPian

FZ16 was never a powerful vehicle. The V1 struggled to do a triple digit which Pulsars did with less effort. And that chunky 140 section tyre never helped it either. Post the failure of RD in 90's Yamaha seems to have taken a disliking for launching powerful vehicles in India (there's international spec Vixion, Vixion R and even the Bison with R15 engine and 5-speed GB).

But the power drop is disappointing with each iterations. I test rode the V2 back in 2015. Felt less powerful but linear than a V1. And the V3 feels same as V2 but the vibrations creep in early (maybe because it was a new vehicle).

Where the FZ has always shined is good low end punch for city commute. I'm glad that they didn't decide to make a 4V engine here. FZ's are perfect handlers and Yamaha vehicles are known for their longevity. One of my friends' owned a FZSV1 (2009) and he rode for 99k KMS (from 2012-2019 Jan) before replacing the factory fitted block (bore). A few months ago, he ended up exchanging it for a FZSV3.

And I think Yamaha should do away with that fat rear tyre. The bike would perform just the same with a 110 or 120 section tyre.
Old 16th October 2019, 21:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Simply put, the FZ is being treated cosmetically muscular on the outside, and on the inside it's a different story. But again, these being "premium" commuters, people will always be on the mileage side, for the price being paid. So, less horses would mean, comparatively bumped up mileage figure, plus the addition of weight too needs to be taken into consideration for a frugal segment. But, we can just speculate what's to and what's not, but Yamaha knows better than we do.

I for one, always have loved the Yamaha R15 V1s. I own the R15S V2, and till to-date, it's nothing short of smiles. By far the best engineered 150 cc gem on an engine and a chassis. Very few motorcycles come close to the handling and the finesse the old gen R15s had to offer. Liquid cooled, four valve, high revving motors, for the fun of it. Truly class apart, this, R15.

The current gen seems to have punch near the VVA engagement point, but they do feel vibey and grunty like an air filter removed motorcycle, but that's just my observation. Gone are the simple, practical and reliable machines.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 16th October 2019 at 21:58.

Most Viewed