Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 17:52   #46
BHPian

re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

Don't know if its only me but the ground clearance seems pretty low!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-2020bajajchetakelectricscooterprice2-1.jpg  

vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 18:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Mr.Bajaj lives by the hindi proverb "Thook ke chaatna"(spit and lick). When the Duke series bikes were launched way back in 2013, a bunch of journalists asked him if there was any chance of an adv 390. His response literally was "Find me a customer and I will build it". This was when people were looking for a more powerful option above the Hero/Honda Impulse/NXR 150 Bros.
If I remember correctly, a few weeks ago Mr. Bajaj was mocking the government on their policies related to electric vehicles. Now I see Mr. Gadkari riding Chetak.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th October 2019 at 18:40. Reason: quote content trimmed
dicor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 18:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
If I remember correctly, a few weeks ago Mr. Bajaj was mocking the government on their policies related to electric vehicles. Now I see Mr. Gadkari riding Chetak.
I think he criticized the policy of banning ICE completely. He suggested that except Ather all other electric players were basically China imports.

He was right in saying that. Also he suggested that India being a big exporter of ICE two wheelers should consider before banning ICE vehicles.

I don't think he mentioned anything about Bajaj not going electric.

Not defending him but i remember the thread discussion well so chipping in.

That said, I like the way the Chetak looks, they could have made it a bit more retro like the Jawa but this is good as well.

Also 80Km is too low a range, should be 200 for sure. Once that is sorted I see a winner.

-Slick
Slick is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 19:41   #49
BHPian

Here is the powerdrift first look and it gives a sneak peek at the digital console.
Some more features:
- Soft seat closing action
- No switches. All illuminated buttons. Glove box and Seat Opening through buttons.
- Seems to have a push button start.
- Seems to have Bluetooth and Call Notification from the tell tale lights in console.
- There will be a Chetak app
- Will be retailed from the same Bajaj showrooms

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetakconsole1.jpg

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetakconsole.jpg

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetakpbs.jpg

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetakleftbuttons.jpg

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetakrightbuttons.jpg

Last edited by PraNeel : 17th October 2019 at 19:42.
PraNeel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 19:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Here is the powerdrift first look and it gives a sneak peek at the digital console.
Having the Speed and Range of the same font and size adjacent to each other is a stupid decision.
It might confuse the rider, especially when he/she is riding and wants to check the speed/range or both.

Also if the range is given in kms, what's the use of giving an additional battery bar?

Not liking the console design a single bit! It's too cluttered and lacks the finesse like the one seen on Ather's console!

BTW, does the battery heat up with prolonged usage? If so, the saree-clad ladies may face a challenge sitting in their sideways-facing position!

Last edited by sharktale : 17th October 2019 at 19:54.
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 20:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Bajaj enjoy some equity with the millennials, that they chose to drop it completely and go solo with Chetak? Who is buying the Dominar? Do the millennials know Chetak? Who are they targeting actually? I have so many questions. Features are good; soft close seat and touch controls are wow. Big thumbs up to Bajaj.
Old 17th October 2019, 21:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Having the Speed and Range of the same font and size adjacent to each other is a stupid decision.
It might confuse the rider, especially when he/she is riding and wants to check the speed/range or both.
True. And I'm still wondering what that % symbol between that speed and range is for.

Quote:
Also if the range is given in kms, what's the use of giving an additional battery bar?
If I draw a parallel to cars, Range is the equivalent of DTE. Battery bar is the equivalent of Fuel level. Why wouldn't you want both? We definitely need both.

However SOC and Battery bar are duplicates. But I think SOC is displayed only during charging and Battery bar is displayed always. SOC could've been eliminated but then seeing a number in addition to just the graphic on the bar is helpful.

Quote:
BTW, does the battery heat up with prolonged usage? If so, the saree-clad ladies may face a challenge sitting in their sideways-facing position!
Battery heating up will not be an issue as battery in under the seat (below the seat hinge)
Motor heating may be an issue. even here there will be no issue for the legs as the legs will be above the motor on the side step. However they may have to be carefull about the saree fabric as it may sometimes come close to the motor. With the motor exposed to air, temperature will not be too high. Especially considering that the scooter won't be ridden for more than 80-100kms at a stretch anyways.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th October 2019 at 21:41.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 21:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not a two wheeler person, but must say this is a fantastic move by Bajaj. The fact is that most two wheelers are used for 20-30 k per day commutes - and the shift to electric may well take place in that segment first. The only challenge is finding charging points - given that almost no two wheeler owners live in individual family homes with parking at the home.

Makes life very difficult for the kids who founded Ather - why would you buy an Ather with uncertain service and longevity when you can buy a Bajaj Chetak. Chetak is a nostalgic brand - am sure that would in and of itself attract substantial demand.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 23:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The cost is Rs 1.5 lakh as the per media reports pouring in. The charging needed is for nearly five hours. And yes, practically the range could be 70- 80 kms. It is Bajaj's quickfix solution to join the e-mobility bandwagon. Bajaj Auto says it does not expect this to be a mass selling scooter, but a niche segment one.

The launch pictures show two proponents or "stalwarts", but not architects of e-mobility, seated on two scooters viz.Transport Minister and the CEO, Niti Aayog. Mr Rajiv Bajaj is standing and faces the audience. Just about two months back, he was aghast with the policy maker's roadmap for a complete switchover to e-mobility by 2025 in India, for all two wheelers below 150 cc engine capacity.

Off topic, but how does one equate a 150 cc fossil fuel powered engine with that of a electric two wheeler ? That's our bureaucracy at its foolish best !

As regards Bajaj and it's Chetak, the original two stroke Chetak in a closed and controlled market did wonders for Bajaj Auto. It's four stroke model "Chetak 4-stroke" bombed! Also the Bajaj Legend (4 stroke from the late 1990's) bombed. And the brand equity of the old "Chetak" is proposed to be encashed by Bajaj Auto with the e-scooter. We only hope this one stays and it's success makes Bajaj continue the production, without shelving the model name.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 05:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As regards Bajaj and it's Chetak, the original two stroke Chetak in a closed and controlled market did wonders for Bajaj Auto. It's four stroke model "Chetak 4-stroke" bombed! Also the Bajaj Legend (4 stroke from the late 1990's) bombed. And the brand equity of the old "Chetak" is proposed to be encashed by Bajaj Auto with the e-scooter. We only hope this one stays and it's success makes Bajaj continue the production, without shelving the model name.
The original Chetak 2 stroke and indeed most of Bajaj's scooter range faded out with the success of Kinetic Honda. Heck, even the LML Vespa 150 was a superior scooter as compared to the Chetak at that point of time ( I had both the Kinetic Honda and the LML). The only thing that kept them going for a few more years was the Sunny. Even that was killed off by the TVS Scooty.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2019 at 20:27. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 18th October 2019, 07:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Recently I was watching the disassembling video of a Tesla electric motor/engine on YouTube, and that core had a liquid 'coolant' filled to the brim. They say other companies are behind by a decade in this tech. More or less, every electric vehicle manufacturer simply fits a motor and connects that to a battery pack, but it needs a lot more innovation to keep heat at bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Battery heating up will not be an issue as battery in under the seat (below the seat hinge). Motor heating may be an issue. even here there will be no issue for the legs as the legs will be above the motor on the side step. However they may have to be carefull about the saree fabric as it may sometimes come close to the motor. With the motor exposed to air, temperature will not be too high. Especially considering that the scooter won't be ridden for more than 80-100kms at a stretch anyways.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 11:20   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Do the millennials know Chetak?
Not a Millennial, and actually grew up with Chetaks around, but I still don't want to ride a Chetak-type bike today. I'd prefer a more modern looking ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Makes life very difficult for the kids who founded Ather - why would you buy an Ather with uncertain service and longevity when you can buy a Bajaj Chetak.
Most probably will be buying an escoot next year to replace the commuter bike, had the same thoughts about Bajaj being a more reliable brand for service. But if it's between these 2, would still go for the Ather, looks a whole lot more modern.

Either way, good for us, this segment needs more competing brands who are in it for the long-term. (Not just those importing Chinese, re-branding and re-selling.) Prices will come down and features will get better.

Hope they standardize charging connectors, cables and charging points. Will be such a pain to have brand-specific charging infra all over the place.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 11:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Off topic, but how does one equate a 150 cc fossil fuel powered engine with that of a electric two wheeler ? That's our bureaucracy at its foolish best !
Maybe they decided it because, majority (read 90%) of two wheeler sales is of 150cc or below. This step would cut down major chunk of vehicular pollution.
Old 18th October 2019, 12:32   #59
BHPian

The Chetak looks gorgeous!
I really want Bajaj to launch a ICE variant along with the electric one to widen the appeal of this beauty.
Old 18th October 2019, 13:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Doesn't Bajaj enjoy some equity with the millennials, that they chose to drop it completely and go solo with Chetak? Who is buying the Dominar? Do the millennials know Chetak? Who are they targeting actually? I have so many questions. Features are good; soft close seat and touch controls are wow. Big thumbs up to Bajaj.
Rajiv Bajaj gave a detailed explanation in an excellent interview.
  • This is their comeback into the scooter segment. Since they don't have any offerings in this segment, they don't see risk of cannibalisation. This he feels is an advantage that his company has over the rest of the competition.
  • This is a premium scooter and not mass market. They expect this to gain around 6% market share. It will not make money initially.
  • They will be selling this in KTM dealerships and not Bajaj dealerships. Hence the branding and positioning.
  • The reason to choose the name Chetak is legacy. Chetak made the company and they were looking at the right platform to relaunch the brand.
  • He doesn't expect pricing to come down until economics of scale kicks in.

It's indeed wonderful to see a big manufacturer take the plunge. What a beautiful looking scooter. I'm now having mixed feelings about having bought an NTORQ this year

Here's the whole interview.

ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks