Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2020, 02:36   #121
BHPian

I like the fact that the charger is also sealed inside the scooter body and thus you only have to carry a cable. I do wish to see a better styling element or a KTM electric scooter based on this motor+battery+charger combination.

Electric scooters are the future of scooters at the very least. The market is populating and hence we as consumers can enjoy competitive pricing. Charge anxiety, I am ready or may be not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Can anyone throw some light on the below -

3. What maintenance is required? Just once a year?
- Moving parts do need service
Service intervals are a year or 12000 kms. Let's hope that this scooter makes itself and the others better as the time comes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th January 2020 at 08:36. Reason: Back to back posts.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 09:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

One thing which worries me is that India has ZERO reserves of LITHIUM.

From Importing Crude to Importing Lithium? Alternative battery tech needs to be found.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 10:21   #123
BHPian

Lithium can be recycled. Crude oil not. Thats a huge difference.
pogo0120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 10:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Two things!

1. Are you sure there is no regenerative braking in e Chethak? Only Combi
2. Weight is just 100 kgs, inspite of all metal body? Is this figure right?
Regenerative braking must be too costly for this mass market scooter.
On a lighter note, didn't know Bajaj is calling this as CHETHAK in banglore

The real problem with this scooter is how to charge. Scooter market is maturing and most so called premium scooter cost almost 80k, so if marketed properly ( Which I am sure Bajaj will ). it will sell.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:14   #125
BHPian

My views may be biased as I am a bajaj investor , but would go out on a limb and say this will sell gangbusters....(will need 12 mo to settle)...

1. Range is more than sufficient for 90% of scooter riders usecases. Very rarely people do >100km
2. Most of India lives in independent houses with charging points. Think market will be bigger in suburbs and tier2-3 cities.
3. The product design caters to a Activa ---Vespa crowd with a broad appeal
4. If the govt. gets it right at some point, charging stations will mushroom like STD /ISD booths did. Here every building already has the infra partially.
5. Battery costs will keep going down, tech will improve.
6. Ability to soft upgrade the product is huge...its like moving from feature phones to smart phones. E.g. through a ECU update Ather recently upgraded the range of 450.
7. This is the start....this platform can spawn several variants downwards later....think moped/scooty market.

If Ather had the scale and distribution network, they would have been way ahead. I feel this is going to see the disruption of the scooter market big time. Obviiusly, only time will tell....
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 11:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

A lot would depend on the Robustness and Dependibility of the Battery Tech.

Am sure all have experienced with their Smartphones on how they tend to lose their ability to retain charge after about 2 years of Usage.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th January 2020 at 11:48. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 15th January 2020, 11:51   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Regenerative braking must be too costly for this mass market scooter.
Who says it is expensive? I am an engineer myself and I do not see this feature to be that expensive. Besides Ather scooters already has this and their price is still comparable to Bajaj. Also, adding little more cost to have this feature pays back in long term as increased mileage or efficiency in city driving conditions.

Regenerative braking or energy recapture is an important feature for electric vehicles. This increases the available practical range and efficiency in city driving. A vehicle with smaller battery may have higher practical range or efficiency in city driving stop and go conditions than a vehicle with bigger battery and no regen.

Not having regen on Bajaj is like having 3g on mobile when 4g is current technology in running.

Other thing I noticed is that Ather is using belt drive, which is necessary for practical regen, i.e. motor must run at high rpm to recapture energy back in generator mode. Bajaj has hub mounted design, not sure if there is 1:20 or 1:15 gear drive.

I personally like Bajaj exterior, looks, design and all metal construction. However, I like Ather technology like telescopic front suspension, higher weight, regenerative breaking, LCD display and importantly, do not have to remove seat for charging. I have seen videos of Bajaj eScooter charge port. I guess you have to open seat in the back to access charging connector. That is a sore point. But I do not like the external looks of Ather scooter and I hate plastics.

Only if somehow, Ather technology and Bajaj all metal retro looking design were to fuse and become one – wishful thinking.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th January 2020 at 12:12. Reason: Spacing, punctuation
pogo0120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:50   #128
BHPian

Final prices for premium and urbane models below for Bangalore. February delivery for Premium variant and May delivery for urbane variant. Hoping to see it soon in other cities as well.

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-ec08fa01702ffece6d91398715a7bd1b3c3ebcf0.jpeg

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-d00c8daac6548fa23e847d892ea4d69195758804.png
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 13:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

What is the Expected Replacement Life of the Battery of the Chetak ?

Also what is the current Cost of a replacement battery?
Old 15th January 2020, 13:27   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Final prices for premium and urbane models below for Bangalore. February delivery for Premium variant and May delivery for urbane variant. Hoping to see it soon in other cities as well.
50% cancellation charges?

Compared to the price of premium, Ather with both disks looks VFM now. Hope Ather X matches chetak in range with no significant increase in price.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 17:31   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

While Ather seems to have made Electric Two Wheelers cool and desirable, I think this one from Bajaj may be the one to really take in mainstream. Coming from a trusted brand in Two Wheelers and I assume they will have the ability to scale quickly as needed.

This will help Ather also. Not many people would have heard of Ather. Now they see an electric Bajaj and there will be a natural tendency to look at alternatives and Ather is going to get a good dose of free marketing. Probably why they are being so nice about it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 17:50   #132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post

Other thing I noticed is that Ather is using belt drive, which is necessary for practical regen, i.e. motor must run at high rpm to recapture energy back in generator mode. Bajaj has hub mounted design, not sure if there is 1:20 or 1:15 gear drive.
A brushless motor will regen the same irrespective of the whether its has a in-runner motor like in Ather or a out-runner motor or a hub motor like in the bajaj. There is more coils in any hub motor so even without a reduction gear it has the torque to pull the vehicle and because it has more coils, it has the same power produced even if it spins at low rpm.
Case in point a wind turbine.

Last edited by aim120 : 15th January 2020 at 18:00.
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 17:51   #133
BANNED

Like the overall product but they should have refreshed the scooter design when they got the chance, going back to old chetak style is being over nostalgic, and who are they targeting here, is it not the youth.

It to me appears like a Fascino strapped with a battery.
Old 15th January 2020, 20:08   #134
BHPian

The original Chetak and it's successors (Eterno etc) died because the market moved towards gearless scooters. Is there a trend towards electric scooters right now?

Most people still think of electric bikes as products for college kids who don't need a license, and the price expectation is below that of a conventional scooter. While folks in urban areas might not use a scooter for long distances, many use them to commute over 100 km a day from their workplace in the city to their home in a suburban area. Not sure how a scooter with a range less than 150km can address this market. Most bikes sold in rural areas follow a similar usage pattern.

I'm a skeptic, but having seen so many people buying a Hero or other rebranded Chinese scooters and regretting it later (battery and service issues), it will be difficult to convince a buyer who uses this as a primary means of transportation to pay more than a lakh. They can get a used Alto for a bit more.

Delete if inappropriate, but this is the sentiment I gathered from the few acquaintances staying in rural areas.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:39   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
. Not sure how a scooter with a range less than 150km can address this market. Most bikes sold in rural areas follow a similar usage pattern.
Bajaj is launching it in just two major cities right now - not even the A metros. Ather too looks to be more in the bigger cities. The market you mention is different, but even there we can expect some sales over time, though far less than the petrol vehicles.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed