Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 13:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Maybe they decided it because, majority (read 90%) of two wheeler sales is of 150cc or below. This step would cut down major chunk of vehicular pollution.
Which means that till the EV-2W to replace that 90%... It should be ideally be priced below a currrent 150 cc bike. i.e below around 80K. Possible ?

(not to forget the convienence of fueling up a i.c engined vehicle)
payeng is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 14:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

There doesn't seem to mention anywhere of top speed in any of the 3 modes or am I missing something ?
Also why can't these vehicle manufacturers, especially big ones like Bajaj roll out the sale of these vehicles in more metros ? By the time we get an Ather or Tork or Chetak in Mumbai they will be outdated.
Old 18th October 2019, 15:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
There doesn't seem to mention anywhere of top speed in any of the 3 modes or am I missing something ?
Also why can't these vehicle manufacturers, especially big ones like Bajaj roll out the sale of these vehicles in more metros ? By the time we get an Ather or Tork or Chetak in Mumbai they will be outdated.
I think they are not able to predict the market in numbers. Hence, starting in small numbers. The new players are not able to get big investments and existing ones are not ready. It could also be about the whole supply chain. Only way to get the huge number of components would be to get them from China in short term.

Even Tesla did start small and built the whole system themselves later.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th October 2019 at 15:07.
Old 18th October 2019, 15:32   #64
BHPian

Looks Fab!
I wish to see it in the flesh. If Price is set right, This would be a sure shot hit.
This is not the first time Bajaj got inspired by Vespa. Even the original Chetak which released years ago was inspired by Vespa scooters.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

The biggest difference i see is the placement of battery. Its good that they have avoided the footboard area, since if battery is placed there it makes riding position more knees up.

Bajaj is clearly trying to position this as lifestyle/premium offering which augurs well for Urbanite brand.

No one has shown what lies under the seat yet, since its not disclosed we can safetly assume it may not have any storage space.I hope i am wrong and we atleast have space to store a full size helmet.

Will wait to see what is the ARAI range, before really commenting on the probable 1.1 lakh price.

We should hopefully see some action from Honda and TVS soon in electric scooters.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 20:47   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
No one has shown what lies under the seat yet, since its not disclosed we can safetly assume it may not have any storage space.I hope i am wrong and we atleast have space to store a full size helmet..
With a scooter, under-seat storage space is a logical requirement that cant be overlooked by any manufacturer. The battery placed in the centre, at foot-board level, behind the foot-board would be the place. if the battery/motor combo needs more height, the storage box can be moved to where the fuel tank is.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 07:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
No one has shown what lies under the seat yet, since its not disclosed we can safetly assume it may not have any storage space.I hope i am wrong and we atleast have space to store a full size helmet.
19 Liters, if memory serves me right which is on the lower side compared to the ICE powered competition (my Ntorq has 22 ltrs). It was mentioned in one of the videos from the deluge that is being served on YouTube (can't recall the exact one).
Old 19th October 2019, 08:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Scooters place batteries in the footboard area? I've not seen that. Or maybe it was well hidden. Hope the underseat has helmet storage and not packed to the gills with battery. Rajiv Bajaj is hinting a price range of Rs. 1-1.5 Lakh, so maybe the base variant should start from Rs. 1.10 lakh, moving up.

Quote:
The biggest difference i see is the placement of battery. Its good that they have avoided the footboard area
Old 19th October 2019, 21:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think they are not able to predict the market in numbers. Hence, starting in small numbers. The new players are not able to get big investments and existing ones are not ready. It could also be about the whole supply chain. Only way to get the huge number of components would be to get them from China in short term.

Even Tesla did start small and built the whole system themselves later.
Also they have to keep their existing ICE assembly line and service workers happy (or atleast not keep them threatened of job losses). It is really tricky for large manufacturers to get the timing of switch to EVs right.
Old 20th October 2019, 07:04   #70
BHPian

@ unk9ja: Thanks for this very important slide. So, Chetak has 48V|60Ah or 2.88 kWh battery. This is most likely total capacity while the actual usable capacity could be slightly lower around 2.5 kWh. For comparison, Ather 450 has 2.4 usable capacity and 2.7 kWh total capacity. Bajaj's claims of 85 km+ range is achievable as it has slightly lower power motor and bigger battery. Ather will have better performance though. Usage of all the main components from Bosch is the reason for Bajaj's quick time to market with Chetak and its a good decision IMO.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2019 at 09:08. Reason: Quoted post deleted
sri_tesla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 14:52   #71

I am looking to buy two wheels for my office commute. Initially was looking for a BS6 machine but then Bajaj launches Chetak. Below points are in favour :-

1. Futuristic design.
2. Low cost of maintenance.
3. Comptele digital console.
4. No separate changing point needed.

Disadvantages:-

1. 85 Km is too less of a range when you know battery degrades fast.( same problem what ather is facing), Atleast 150km range is needed for people to consider this.
2. Non swappable batteries.
3. Absence of charging infrastructure.
4. No successful electric 2 wheeler created by any company till now in India.
Tech_Driver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 19:20   #72
BHPian

Really tough times ahead for Ather can be seen. They have now penetrated in 2 cities only as of now I guess which is relatively not as aggressive as expected from start ups.
I am sure like Bajaj pretty soon all of the manufacturers will soon have atleast one EV product in their portfolio.
But what excites me about this news is that hopefully soon there would be a cool 'Hamara bajaj' anthem around the corner now.
Hemicuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 23:28   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
No, it does not have removable battery. I get your point, that's the major detarrant for urban population who live in apartment.

Yes that is what I was indeed thinking. Also since the Revolt actually offers this feature (portable removable battery for charging at home) its something I would look for in all electric two wheeler offerings.
Old 21st October 2019, 06:53   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Mr.Bajaj lives by the hindi proverb "Thook ke chaatna"(spit and lick). When the Duke series bikes were launched way back in 2013, a bunch of journalists asked him if there was any chance of an adv 390. His response literally was "Find me a customer and I will build it". ..
Isn't what you're describing all about knowing the market and its maturity at different points in time?
There's a massive difference between statistical and anecdotal information - I may personally like an adv motorcycle, but does that mean the target market segment wants it as well?
Are there sufficient capabilities in place to implement that fully?
Is the context set to make it a success?

Being the first mover in any of these product segments (adv/electric) while they're too niche and/or when the context wasn't right and/or the capabilities weren't fully in place wouldn't necessarily be the best business decision.

As for changing one's opinion, with changing situations, a business leader can change his/her stand.

Sam
Old 21st October 2019, 11:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

It isn't about being the first mover. I don't think Bajaj has been a first mover in any segment. Always been a follower.

Hero Impulse was launched in 2008, a full 5 years before the d390 launch. For 5 years many dirt/adv/trail afficionados complained that the Impulse was underpowered for serious adventure especially loaded up.

Manufacturers conduct market survey every year to gauge public perception and if in those 5 years Mr.Bajaj wasn't able to figure out that a 250-400 adv was in demand and then he proceeds to mock journalists in 2013 who point it out to him, then its not a surprise that Bajaj is stagnant.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks