Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 17:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

Bajaj Auto has unveiled the Chetak electric scooter.

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetak.jpg

The Chetak electric scooter is based on a rigid frame with sheet metal body panels. It has tubular single-sided suspension. The scooter features an oval LED headlamp with integrated daytime running lights. The front apron houses vertically placed LED turn signals. The rear features vertical tail lights. The scooter has a circular digital instrument cluster that displays speed, range, battery level, gear position, odometer and clock. It has feather touch activated electronic switches.

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetak_gray_prototype_neutral_angle_front_miho_flat_rgb.jpg

The Chetak e-scooter uses an IP67 rated battery pack with an Intelligent Battery Management System. It also has a regenerative braking system. The scooter has two riding modes - Eco and Sport. The battery can be recharged using a standard household 5-15 amp outlet.

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetak_studio_side_silver.png

The Chetak electric scooter will be available in 6 colour options.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (48) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

As per Autocar this has a range of 85-95KM , real world might be 70-80KM. Knowing Bajaj the ride dynamics will be decent. The only reason for me to buy Ather would be the hyped interface. I am sure Bajaj will have a starting price under 1Lac- God save Ather! Chetak looks fantastic BTW, has potential to disrupt scooter market like the original Chetak.

Last edited by PrideRed : 16th October 2019 at 17:38.
PrideRed is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 17:46   #3
BHPian

Few more details @ https://www.chetak.com/
Now wait for pricing starts!
Alfa_Romeo1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 19:12   #4
BHPian

Absolutely stunning! I mean, this is the first time I actually felt like owning an electric scooter. All this while, all the e-scooters had some disproportionate piece in the design I would hate. But this looks simply elegant in the pictures.
R-Six is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 19:46   #5
BHPian

It ain't Chetak if it doesn't ride two extra kms after inclining on the right side .

But, kudos to Bajaj for launching an accomplished electric vehicle at such a short time frame. Any ideas what is the top speed?
shobhit.shri is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Absolutely stunning! I mean, this is the first time I actually felt like owning an electric scooter. All this while, all the e-scooters had some disproportionate piece in the design I would hate. But this looks simply elegant in the pictures.
Agree. The scooter looks stunning in the pictures. If the actual product come out near about, I might buy one.

I have been an avid follower and supporter of Ather from its earliest days. But I must admit Ather looks underfed/starving from every angle. It will be more prominent now when Chetak rolls on the roads.
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:30   #7
BHPian

Oh boy Chetak is back again!! and in the EV avatar. The name in itself is a legend. Great Job Bajaj .

Looks stunning in the pictures. Will be a winner if it can give a realistic mileage of 75-80 Kms and be as reliable as the original Chetak. Servicing may not be a problem as we have the service centers in plenty.

I'm waiting!
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:44   #8
BANNED

Loved the scooter and its detailing. Never used any of my scooters beyond 100km in a single day in the past 15 years, so this is sufficient for my daily needs. Apart from P220, we have two Vespas, one Maestro, and one Activa at home. Activa being the oldest, this is going to replace my Activa in the future.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2020 at 11:19. Reason: Please use forum smileys instead.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Can't stop myself from posting this. I am really sorry for re-uploading the pic.

Chetak is so well suited to that uncle at the left (Nitin Gadkari) .

I am following Ather from day one and always wanted to get one when launched in Hyderabad. But now, hmm.. Sorry Ather, let me first check the Chetak before even coming to you.

Bajaj had done a commendable job in designing it. Looks elegant at every angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetak.jpg  

vijayshouree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

On the other hand, Chetak is also drawing criticism for the 'inspiration' taken from Vespa.

Pratap Bose of TATA design calls it a "Sad day for Indian Design"

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 21:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice design, wish this product does well. Sure makes sense since they're primarily for in city commuting, and have adequate range for the purpose.

But did'nt Rajiv Bajaj mock shareholders just last year when he stated that Bajaj would make scooters only if Royal Enfield made scooters?
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 22:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Bajaj is opting for a 4KW electric motor as against the 5.4KW motor on the Ather.

However, unlike the Ather (and most EVs) - this Bajaj seems to be having a 'high-efficiency automated gearbox'. Also features a reverse gear as in the Ather

Quote:
The digital display shows a neutral light as well as what appears to be five notches – which may be for the five gears.
Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 22:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

First impression, looks like a proper full sized scooter.
The front looks clean , filled with nice lighting elements.
The round display looks cool, so does the switches.
The rear will take some time to digest.
One of the few things that I didn't like is naked front springs.
The alloys are not to my taste, spoils the clean look and reminds of cheaper EV scooters.

Last edited by fz_rider : 16th October 2019 at 22:33.
fz_rider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 23:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

But did'nt Rajiv Bajaj mock shareholders just last year when he stated that Bajaj would make scooters only if Royal Enfield made scooters?
Mr.Bajaj lives by the hindi proverb "Thook ke chaatna"(spit and lick). When the Duke series bikes were launched way back in 2013, a bunch of journalists asked him if there was any chance of an adv 390. His response literally was "Find me a customer and I will build it". This was when people were looking for a more powerful option above the Hero/Honda Impulse/NXR 150 Bros.

Yet here we are 6 years later with spyshots of a bike that should have arrived 5 years ago!

Another example of this hindi philosophy was when journalists asked him if he regretted exiting the scooter segment and handing it on a silver platter to Honda. Back then he said Bajaj was more interested in selling motorcycles and wants to establish itself as India's #1 Motorcycle brand with Pulsar series.

Yet here we are a decade later with Mr.Bajaj going back to scooters because regardless of the state of the economy, people will always buy scooters since everyone in a family can ride one.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 16th October 2019 at 23:22.
Nithesh_M is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 00:19   #15
BHPian

This one looks gorgeous! Totally smitten with the looks
Might as well share an event from 2014 when I had got a Bajaj 150 made in 1971 and had posted few pics on Facebook along with the restoration plan.
Someone pinged me on an uneventful day and asked few questions and then it was decided to meet up for an interview.
The good folks came to a CCD in my office campus and we ended up having a fabulous two hours of pure two wheeler/Chetak/scooters talk.
I was told that Bajaj is gathering user stories in sensing the vibe on the brand and I was naturally thrilled to know that I was a part of it although there would not be any broadcast or publishing of the videos or discussion.
So, it feels so good to finally see the comeback of one of the most iconic scooter brand in India! Hope they eventually improve the range and the scooter etches a new history.
Cheers.
katoom is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed